Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Plan B And Depression

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cherrybomb

cherrybomb

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Diagnoses:Ultra-rapid BPII, GAD
  • Current Meds:Lithium 900mg, Fanapt 6mg, Latuda 20mg

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

Last month, I took Plan B (levonorgestrel) two times in the same menstrual cycle. Not a great idea, I know, and I didn't realize how powerful it is. I've taken it before, but not twice in the same cycle. I got freaked out, basically, and didn't ask anyone that may have advised me against doing it.

I haven't been depressed in months and months, but hooooly crap this sucks. Hi there again, depression! So glad to see your fugly face again. NOT! I've even managed to find a wonderful boyfriend a month or so before this whole thing, and now I can't feel much of anything. It's awful. I think I hate my babymaking parts. They are like a tiny factory of sadness. In addition to the depression, I had a 14-day period from hell. March BLEW, and it sucks that it was kind of my fault. Thanks to the depression, the self-blame really feels extra true.

My question is, has anyone else ever experienced a similar bout of depression after taking Plan B? My excellent pdoc said it could take three months for my hormones to regulate back to normal. BLEURGH! See you in May! Plus 15lbs from depression over-eating, that is. :mad:

PS -- I'm bipolar II, usually stable on Topamax and Nuvigil.

Edited by cherrybomb, 03 April 2011 - 09:54 PM.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

Haven't experienced it, but it makes sense. What you're doing when you take Plan B is dosing yourself with several times the normal amount of hormones in a regular birth control pill. Doing so more than once in a four-week span can really mess a woman up.

It sounds like it's time for you to start using a more reliable form of birth control.

#3 cherrybomb

cherrybomb

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

It sounds like it's time for you to start using a more reliable form of birth control.

Yeah, I really wish I felt like there were good options. Hormonal is way out, already had the Mirena IUD and it was so uncomfortable to have it, let alone the insertion process, which was the worst pain of my life.

We use condoms, but I've broken my fair share of those... I'm not sure what's left besides getting my tubes tied, because I really don't want to be pregnant. I'm 26, so it might be hard to get anyone to do it.

#4 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

Try condoms + spermicide. The spermicide will work as a backup method.

You would probably have trouble getting your tubes tied (you may want to look at the nonsurgical Essure procedure), but it's possible you could find a doctor who'd do it.

Best case scenario: You find a guy who's willing to get a vasectomy.

Could you handle the hormones from the Mirena, but not its physical presence? If so, the NuvaRing might be an option.

I'm surprised you'd be willing to take Plan B, but not contemplate taking the Pill.

#5 In_Remission_glamrocki

In_Remission_glamrocki
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hi Cherrybomb,
You're not alone. The same exact thing happened to me after taking the new (to me) single dose Plan B last month. I was feelin' rather positive & perky before that damn pill. I didn't expect it to take me out of commission for so long, and now it's screwing (no pun intended) with my previously VERY regular cycle. So, after this most recent Plan B experience my period was a week late (ugh - what a week my mantra was "let me bleed, oh please just let me bleed already!"). And, just as you described, an all new reign of depression/anxiety came crashing down on me, literally the day after ingesting that damn pill.

Now it's only been 16 days since I (finally) got my period after taking Plan B, AND I'M BLEEDING AGAIN... A LOT with lovely cramps to boot!! It just totally sucks & throughout this depressed phase (since May) I've been having trouble just leaving my apartment - I haven't felt such inability to cope, let alone this incapacity to function as an adult supporting herself in a very long time.

I've used Plan B before, but I remember that you had to take 2 pills, 12 hours apart. Yeah, I recall feeling icky for a few days, but NEVER like this. And back then it didn't mess with my cycle or depression, either. I should have just done what the girls in my dorm would do back in college, which was simply to take like 4 or 5 pills from an extra pack of birth control pills, 12 hours apart. I have a hunch that the drug delivery mechanism is to blame... the new Plan B's massive dosage of estrogen, taken ALL at once, might be what allowed the Noonday Demon to rear its unrelenting head back into our lives.

FYI to the rather judgmental post that offered the unsolicited advice/observation to "just go on The Pill - considering the fact that you're willing to use Plan B". Duh. Obviously, she thought of that, as all women would, and has good reasons why she's not on The Pill. I used to be able to tolerate The Pill, but sometimes it can make your depression worse no matter how many different brands/formulations you try. Besides, you can get pregnant on The Pill, too. A lot of medications can decrease it's effectiveness.

So, Cherrybomb, I feel your pain & I sympathize with you... At least I hope it helps to know that someone else has shared this experience, and you are not alone. My heart goes out to you, & wish for us both to bask once again in the very bearable lightness of being... Pronto :mad:

Take care of your awesomeness & be gentle with yourself.
-S.

#6 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

FYI to the rather judgmental post that offered the unsolicited advice/observation to "just go on The Pill - considering the fact that you're willing to use Plan B". Duh. Obviously, she thought of that, as all women would, and has good reasons why she's not on The Pill. I used to be able to tolerate The Pill, but sometimes it can make your depression worse no matter how many different brands/formulations you try. Besides, you can get pregnant on The Pill, too. A lot of medications can decrease it's effectiveness.

Watch the attitude. You don't want to piss off a moderator.

#7 cherrybomb

cherrybomb

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

It's pretty much almost a year later and I'm still trying to find my stability. Ooops. Though, I'll take a year of instability over pregnancy and children anytime.

#8 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 652 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, Cymbalta

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

I had the Essure procedure done, and while it hurt for some time afterwards (apparently it's more painful for women who have not had children), it was totally worth it.

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,  60 mgs Cymbalta

4000 i.u. Vit. D3,

Etodolac 400 mgs  2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS

Azelastine nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#9 cocoaforcocoapuffs

cocoaforcocoapuffs

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:bp
  • Current Meds:lamictal, seroquel

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Some of us unfortunately cannot handle the pill,I have tried so many throughout the years and had to settle with condoms. I had to take plan B after a broken condom and spiraled down into a bad depression for a few months. A super heavy period too. Depression and agitation that made me shake. Just wanted to hopefully validate some feelings and experiences here that I experienced it too and it sucked.

#10 shakenandstirred

shakenandstirred

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Diagnoses:diagnoses BP II in September 2012.
  • Current Meds:Lithium (150 mgs) Klonapin and trazadone prn for anxiety and insomnia

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

i took it about three weeks before i was diagnosed (correctly) with bipolar II.
i believe i would have crashed from my manic summer regardless, but that thing made me crash and BURN.
severe cramping, heavy flow, lasted for 11 days... made me extremely depressed and then it got worse- which i didnt think was possible.

i have two little children, single mom, going back to school soon. i am SERIOUSLY considering essure. people keep telling me, but what if you meet a man and he wants to have babies?

umm last time i checked men do not carry the baby and then push it out of their bodies and breastfeed.

besides my ppd was so severe i literally could not do that to myself again.

if you really do not want children, planned parenthood will refer you to a doctor that will agree to do it for you, especially if you make a case of MI and your meds.

we have to be our own advocates, particularly where our mental health and reproductive health is concerned.

:)

failed meds: zoloft, celexa, lexapro, buspar, welbutrin, lamictal.

#11 akadis

akadis

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:Plan B

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hi Cherrybomb, it is so scary to learn that it can take up to a year for this "Plan B caused - depression" to go away. I just took the pill 1.5 weeks ago, and I've had the most depressing days I can remember ever having. On top of it all, I keep obsessing about someone I shouldn't be thinking about, and I am almost sure that it is also caused by the heavy dose of hormones.

Is there anything we can do to minimize this type of depression?

My menstrual cycle did get messed up, but that doesn't bother me much. It's these awful and debilitating feelings that I am starting to fear I may not be able to handle without medication. The worst part is that before taking the pill, I was feeling super happy, since things in my life are going really great : I am about to accomplish my dream of semi-retiring on the beach, I am super healthy, and in the best shape of my life, my loved ones are still around, and emotionally I was feeling very satisfied. Now I can only focus on my obsession about that someone I mentioned before, and everything else seems to be fading away.

I am getting an IUD next month, no more Plan B for me!

#12 arieswmn

arieswmn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 50 mg. Lamictal 150 mg. Fish Oil.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

I know there are some IUD's without hormones. Other versions have hormones. Since you've had so much trouble with the Plan B you might want to see if you can get the kind without hormones.

previous drugs
Lexapro, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Keppra, Trileptal, Prozac.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog