Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

I Found An Awesome Tca

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:37 AM

Lofepramine has changed my life. After 7 years of all kinds of meds failing or making things worse, I feel the most normal I ever have. I still have anxiety and have times when I'm pretty down, but I can cope now. I can get out of bed in the morning. I'm not lying on the floor crying all day. I used to have 5-6 migraines a month; I'm down to 2-3.

Does anyone know why lofepramine never made it to the USA? I'm a US citizen temporarily living in the UK. I'm reluctant to return because I won't be able to get lofepramine anymore. It's the only thing that's really put me back to normal.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

I do not know why it is not on this side of the pond.

However, have you tried Desipramine? It is the active metabolite of Lofepramine.

DSP
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#3 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:24 AM

I'm guessing that will be my best bet when I get back. I'm worried though that it's pretty hard on your heart and, at least according to wikipedia, is associated with higher incidence of breast cancer. Am I getting that risk anyway though by taking lofepramine? It's touted as having fewer/less severe side effects than the other TCAs, so I feel like I've been spoiled a bit in that department.

ETA: I know all TCAs are hard on your heart...I'm just worried about desipramine hitting "harder." Fear of the unknown, mostly.

Edited by hammer of dusk, 30 March 2011 - 03:35 AM.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline

#4 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

That is one of those YMMV things. You might get stuck with Desipramine if you end up on this side of the pond because that is the closest thing to Lofepramine.

An intriguing option would be Strattera. Even though it is not approved as an Antidepressant.. it still is technically an Antidepressant. It has a low side effect profile compared to TCA's.

DSP

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

#5 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:08 AM

Interesting that you mentioned that. A while ago my pdoc in the States was thinking strattera + a mood stabilizer might be the way to go. I'm kind of reluctant about the mood stabilizers but if it works I'll do it. I've kind of wondered if I have some ADHD stuff going on in the first place. That would be awesome if strattera hit that, too.

I guess we'll see in the next couple weeks what my pdoc will want to do.

Ex-Meds:

#6 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hmmm.. Mood Stabilizers. I love how that term encompasses two completely different med classes. Lamictal would most likely be the best Anticonvulsant for you and Abilify/Geodon/Seroquel XR when it comes to Antipsychotics.

Geodon does some wacky Norepinephrine Reuptake and Seroquel XR's active metabolite is a pretty potent NRI, so you might want to start with them if you decide to go the AAP way. It seems that your brain really loves Norepinephrine.. mine hates it.. to each their own lol.

Lamictal has a slow titration schedule with a propensity for weird shit to happen until you are above 100mgs or so. It should take at least five weeks to get to 100mg. You can always ask for a prn AAP or benzo to help you until you are at a maintenance dose of Lamictal.

Also, is the Neurontin for your Migraines?

DSP

#7 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:01 AM

Hmmm.. Mood Stabilizers. I love how that term encompasses two completely different med classes. Lamictal would most likely be the best Anticonvulsant for you and Abilify/Geodon/Seroquel XR when it comes to Antipsychotics.

Geodon does some wacky Norepinephrine Reuptake and Seroquel XR's active metabolite is a pretty potent NRI, so you might want to start with them if you decide to go the AAP way. It seems that your brain really loves Norepinephrine.. mine hates it.. to each their own lol.

Lamictal has a slow titration schedule with a propensity for weird shit to happen until you are above 100mgs or so. It should take at least five weeks to get to 100mg. You can always ask for a prn AAP or benzo to help you until you are at a maintenance dose of Lamictal.

I thought mood stabilizers referred to the anticonvulsants--good to know. After a trial of Abilify I'm kind of freaked out by the AAPs and will probably try to give lamictal another shot if we go that way.

Also, is the Neurontin for your Migraines?

The neurontin is for anxiety, because I seem to be in a constant state of it otherwise. Migraine prophylaxis was a potential bonus, but I don't find it prevents them at all for me.

Ex-Meds:

#8 FI83

FI83

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Diagnoses:Panic Disorder, Depression
  • Current Meds:Remeron, Alprazolam, Lofepramine

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Yup, Lofepramine is a good one. Pretty effective, hits both serotonin and NA (though primarily the latter), and gave me far fewer sexual SEs than the SSRIs and SNRIs.
Panic disorder, atypical depression

Meds:
Remeron
Lofepramine
Tapering off Xanax

#9 JustOnePole

JustOnePole

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, RLS
  • Current Meds:pramipexole .375, Synthroid 50ug, nefazodone 400mg

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:37 AM

As long as it isn't a controlled substance in the USA, there are international pharmacies that will ship. You may even be able to make a shipping arrangement with the chemist you're using now.
Dx : MDD, restless legs syndrome (name is being changed to Willis-Ekbom disease)
Current meds: Pramipexole 0.375mg in early evening, Synthroid 50ug, nefazodone 400 mg, Ambien 5-10mg prn
D/C 'd meds : Bupropion, various beta blockers to handle rapid pulse from bupropion, Lexapro, Requip, Lunesta, various statins (caused memory problems), Sinemet

#10 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

As long as it isn't a controlled substance in the USA, there are international pharmacies that will ship. You may even be able to make a shipping arrangement with the chemist you're using now.

It's true, and it'd be interesting if anyone has been able to do this. In my experience, it was getting/keeping a current prescription that was the problem. UK doctors would not continue to refil for me if wasn't living in the UK and couldn't come to appointments, and US doctors don't want to touch it because it's not FDA approved and is not well known.

Ex-Meds:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog