Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Avoid 7.5Mg And 22.5Mg Generic Temazepam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MKMuffin

MKMuffin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 200 mg, Trazodone 300 mg

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

Back in September, my p-doc prescribed temazepam as a sleep aid while I tapered off (and eventually discontinued) Remeron. We started at 30 mg, and things were cheap (68 cents for 30 pills with my insurance: negotiated cost, then 20% copay). After 30 days, we went down to 15 mg (52 cents for 30 days). Since these are capsules, no splitting allowed, unfortunately. But hey, it's less than a buck, so I don't care.

After another two weeks, we decided the best way to taper would be to get some 7.5 mg capsules. I go to my favorite pharmacy, fill the prescription, and get the bill.

$51.

Of course, I think there's a factor of 100 error here. So I ask the pharmacy tech if she entered it in wrong. Nope, it really costs $51 for a 30 day supply of 7.5 mg. Keep in mind this is after Aetna's negotiated cost, and with my 20% co-pay. This is insane, so I don't fill it, and just do 15 mg every two days.

I called Aetna up and asked what the hell was going on. Turns out there's exactly one generic manufacturer that makes the 7.5 mg and 22.5 mg capsules, so they can charge whatever they want. Guess it's my own naivety, but I never thought I'd see such a discrepancy in generic cost for the same medication.
In the land of the narcoleptics, the insomniac is king.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Ophelia

Ophelia

Would-be Neurologist

• Illegal
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Seroquel, Bupropion

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

Back in September, my p-doc prescribed temazepam as a sleep aid while I tapered off (and eventually discontinued) Remeron. We started at 30 mg, and things were cheap (68 cents for 30 pills with my insurance: negotiated cost, then 20% copay). After 30 days, we went down to 15 mg (52 cents for 30 days). Since these are capsules, no splitting allowed, unfortunately. But hey, it's less than a buck, so I don't care.

After another two weeks, we decided the best way to taper would be to get some 7.5 mg capsules. I go to my favorite pharmacy, fill the prescription, and get the bill.

$51.

Of course, I think there's a factor of 100 error here. So I ask the pharmacy tech if she entered it in wrong. Nope, it really costs $51 for a 30 day supply of 7.5 mg. Keep in mind this is after Aetna's negotiated cost, and with my 20% co-pay. This is insane, so I don't fill it, and just do 15 mg every two days.

I called Aetna up and asked what the hell was going on. Turns out there's exactly one generic manufacturer that makes the 7.5 mg and 22.5 mg capsules, so they can charge whatever they want. Guess it's my own naivety, but I never thought I'd see such a discrepancy in generic cost for the same medication.

Here are two methods you can use:
  • Go to Whole Foods or someplace that sells gelatin capsules. Hold a 15 mg capsule horizontally and shake it. Put it into a pill splitter and cut it in half. Dump the contents of each half into a new capsule (you may have to also divide some loose powder and scrape it into the capsule somehow). Bingo - you now have 7.5 mg capsules, or at least very, very close to 7.5 mg. Putting the power into another capsule would exactly duplicate the intended method of administration of the med.
  • Another method is to mix the capsule contents into a few cc's of liquid and use a syringe (without the needle) to draw up half of it for one dose - or mix up several capsules and figure out how much to take for one dose. For instance, you could mix 5 of the 15-mg capsule contents into enough tasty liquid to make 300 cc's (or 300 mLs) - then draw 30 cc's into the syringe for one 7.5 mg dose. You'd need to check with the pharmacist to find out if it's okay to mix the capsule contents into a liquid if you use this method.
I use the second method to give my rats amoxicillin; they're so tiny that one 250 mg capsule makes 65 doses.
Ophelia

Current Diagnosis: Bipolar disorder + PTSD
Current cocktail: Lamotrigine 287.5 mg, Seroquel XR 50 mg, Seroqel IR 50mg & PRN as needed, Wellbutrin SR 225 mg, Abilify 0.5 mg, Estradiol 1 mg, Aspirin 81 mg, Tegretol + Wellbutrin + Celexa, Methylin, Provigil, Depakote, Prozac, Pamelor, Dilantin, Tofranil, Elavil, Stelazine, lithium, Haldol, Desyrel, Valium, Nardil, and fish oil (for crying out loud! It threw me into a mixed episode)....
..........and others I can't remember
Supps: Calcium with Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Iron, Multi-Vitamin, Glucosamine with Chondroitin

#3 MKMuffin

MKMuffin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 200 mg, Trazodone 300 mg

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

Of course once you have a compounding pharmacist, you can get meds made into lollipops.

This sounds like a great addition to go with Jerod's "antipsychotic sundae". Maybe we can publish a Crazy Meds Cookbook.
In the land of the narcoleptics, the insomniac is king.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog