Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Women And Orgasms - Grrrrr!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 reggimental

reggimental

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Diagnoses:BI POLAR TYPE TWO
  • Current Meds:lamactil/lamotrogine 200 mgs + Pristiq 50mgs

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

Hello!

I am now on week 3 of Escitalopram (10 mgs) and happy to say all is going very well! The initial tiredness and lethargy took a hike and so far I am very pleased with its effects especially on anxiety.

Ladies, I would like feedback re your ability to orgasm on this med. Yes, i am aware that orgasm delay or inability is a definate side effect and so far 2 out of 3 attempts to orgasm have failed miserably :mad:

I am looking for womens experience with this issue and hopefully some hope that it might subside cos walking around horny and not being able to do anything about it really bites the BIG ONE! :) and I am already put off trying to orgasm in case it fails....

Cheers!

Reggi

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 water

water

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 51 posts
  • Current Meds:aplenzin 522 lexapro 20 (prn - xanax .25, valium 5)

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

and I am already put off trying to orgasm in case it fails....

Don't do that! Even trying to orgasm can be fun. I have had experiences where I can orgasm and others where I cannot. I take 20 mg. of Lexapro. However I also take Wellbutrin which might be offsetting some of the sexual side effects of Lex but my psychopharmacologist says that Lexapro does not cause as severe anorgasmia as other SSRI's.

Before I started my meds and my depression hung around much more often I had no desire to have sex. I'd rather be happy and orgasm less often then never have sex at all.

It's quite possible your ability to orgasm will improve with time. Everybody is different.

If you don't live it, it won't come out your horn.

#3 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

For me Lexapro makes it impossible to orgasm. Like, completely numb down there.
Weirdly enough, celexa does not.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

#4 In_Remission_lilcosmo

In_Remission_lilcosmo
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

I take citalopram and used to take 20mg and had to work at having an orgasm. I have now been put on 60mg + clonazepam. It definetly causes total orgasm failure for me. But I would rather feel happy and relaxed than trade it for an orgasm.

#5 Myshkin

Myshkin

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Diagnoses:Temporal lobe epilepsy, Sjogren's Syndrome and some old anxiety still popping up once in a while
  • Current Meds:Topiramate, baby dose of lexapro and occasional xanax. Plaquenil for the SS.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

For me it has been necessary to get the help of a good vibrator. Works amazing every time!

#6 In_Remission_An Original Jennie

In_Remission_An Original Jennie
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

For me it has been necessary to get the help of a good vibrator. Works amazing every time!

Ditto that! Get the rabbit.

#7 Sweetest1

Sweetest1

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1 rapid cycling , PTSD, Anxiety disorder NOS
  • Current Meds:clonazepam 1.5mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, ativan .5mg prn, Epival/Depakote 1250mg

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

I can't even get horny on lexapro, let alone have an orgasm.

Good luck to you though

I am not a doctor - I am just an !diot.
Nothing I say should be considered as medical advice.
These are merely my personal opinions; of which there is a seemingly inexhaustible supply.

Previous Meds: Zeldox/geodon, risperidone, seroquel, effexor, topamax, lithium, zyprexa, cipralex, trazadone

#8 In_Remission_arizonasooner

In_Remission_arizonasooner
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

It is SO difficult to orgasm on Celexa or Lexapro or Mirtazapine.

I have given up and am quitting the meds cold turkey. I can't wait until I can have a normal orgasm again!

#9 In_Remission_Broken Brain

In_Remission_Broken Brain
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

I really am just not turned on anymore. I don't know if it's the Lexapro, the breastfeeding, or both, but I haven't enjoyed sex in a very long time. I am kind of holding out until I wean, but I will probably talk to my doc about it at my next visit.

#10 In_Remission_CannuckKindaCrazy

In_Remission_CannuckKindaCrazy
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

I used to orgasm on citalopram but once I switched to celexa I could not at all. I felt the build up which was great but that was it...sigh. Best of luck! The rabbit sounds like a good idea :mad:

#11 SleeplessOne

SleeplessOne

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Diagnoses:Insomnia, depression
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, bits of Traz at night, (Elmiron, for IC)

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

I've not had any sexual troubles with Celexa, Lex OR Remeron. In fact if anything when I do have my fun they are stronger and I often (though not always) don't feel as sad afterwards.

Edited by SleeplessOne, 28 April 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#12 In_Remission_hexgeist

In_Remission_hexgeist
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

I need an anti-depressant!

#13 jorona

jorona

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1/2, Social Anxiety, Migraines
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 30mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Propranolol 10mg PRN

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

Lexapro has made this a little harder, but not impossible, and I've decided hubby and I can deal with that. Nothing like Paxil or Celexa, which made me not want to do anything at all!
DX: BP 1/2, Social Anxiety, Migraines
RX: Lexapro 30mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Propranolol 10mg PRN
Past RX: Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin SR, Trazodone, Topomax, Ambien, Lamictal, Abilify, Lithium, Buspar, Deplin, Elavil, Atenolol, Saphris

#14 arieswmn

arieswmn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 195 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 100mg. Lamictal 150 mg. N-acetyl cysteine. Folic Acid 800 mcg.

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

i can get close to orgasming but then just can't get there. when i took methylfolate, which is like a different version of folate, it seemed to be a lot better, so i recently ordered more of it. i always have this problem somewhat, though, but lexapro has def made it worse. and then i got an awesome new vibrator, only to have it break just when i needed it most...

previous drugs
Lexapro, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Keppra, Trileptal, Prozac.

#15 In_Remission_smadisonj

In_Remission_smadisonj
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:18 AM

I've been on 10mg of citalopram for 8 weeks now. At first, I had absolutely no desire to have sex or even get remotely turned on. I was quite uncomfortable and felt almost numb and somewhat painful down there. however, within the past few weeks my orgasms have increased and my sex drive seems to SLOWLY but surely coming back... I am considering taking lexapro in order to get my full sex drive back. My doctor suggested taking lexapro with the citalopram, but I want to see if I can do without another pill and work on these damn orgasms back >:|

#16 In_Remission_heatherama

In_Remission_heatherama
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

I can get close but not THERE, no matter how new the batteries are in the vibrator. :mad:. Hopefully it will pass but if not, still sucks less than a panic attack...

#17 EnergizerHoney

EnergizerHoney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 300mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1-3mg prn, Ambien 10mg prn.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Definatly understand. I'm on Lexapro 10mg and though it world fantastic for my GAD and depression it definatly lowered my libido and made orgasm a lot of work and not very satisfying in the end, it felt very blunted and just felt like too much work almost.

I didn't want to stop the Lex because I was miserable before it so my Dr added Wellbutrin XL 150Mg to see if that will help. So we'll see.

It's so frustrating though I know :mad: A vibrator does help.
Bipolar 1, Panic Disorder
Lamictal 400mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1mg prn
Failed: all anti depressants

#18 Ink

Ink

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:Generalized anxiety, panic disorder
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, Atenolol, Ativan PRN

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm female and have taken 10mg Lex for about 7 years. It reduces the ease and intensity of orgasm (slightly blunting them), but not to a maddening degree for me personally. I can still come easily and it still feels great. Like, if my orgasms off Lexapro are a 10, they're still a 7 on it. Not so bad.

That's just my personal experience.

#19 EnergizerHoney

EnergizerHoney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 300mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1-3mg prn, Ambien 10mg prn.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

I just wanted to add that the Wellbutrin had made it much much easier to orgasm and they are awesome now! So definatly consider adding some wellbutrin. It hasn't given me any anxiety or insomnia.
Bipolar 1, Panic Disorder
Lamictal 400mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1mg prn
Failed: all anti depressants

#20 Sissy Hankshaw

Sissy Hankshaw

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD overfocused. GAD, mild OCD
  • Current Meds:10 mg escitalopram, 150 mg welbutrin xl, 1 mg lorazepam.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

I've been on it for a month now and have lost all interest in sex, with a bit of the numbing sensation down there. So far not a problem but if this doesn't subside eventually it will be a problem.
DX: ADHD overfocused, GAD, mild OCD.
RX: 20 mg Escitalopram, .5 Lorazepam pn, 10 mg adderall.

“Normality is the Great Neurosis of civilization.”-Tom Robbins

#21 Claire

Claire

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-Polar OCD GAD Insomnia (non med caused!) Panic Disorder
  • Current Meds:700mg Quetiapine, 40mg Fluoxetine, 10mg Tamazepam 7.5mgs Zopiclone and Diazepam 5mg PRN

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

I had so many problems in the past with different Rx's. Lamicatal/lamotrigine has been a god send. I feel horny AND can actually orgasm. Plus due to the increase in prolactin I have my breasts back after breastfeeding four kids (they were really sorry looking!)

Claire
Somedays, it's simply not worth chewing through the restraints...

Previously Rx'd
Moclobemide - Pooped out on second attempt.
Abilify - Flipped me out X2
Zopiclone - mmmmm sleep...
Prozac/Fluoxetine - Mania
Effexor/Venaflaxine - Migraines and Mania
Lofepramine - Ridiculous sweating, but did work Pdoc says all tricyclics will have same effect
Lithium
Sodium valproate
Cymbalta - sugar pills
Tegretol (UGH!!)

#22 Sissy Hankshaw

Sissy Hankshaw

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

*perks up* what's that? You got your breasts back? I'm on the third breastfed kid and this has my interest.

#23 Claire

Claire

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-Polar OCD GAD Insomnia (non med caused!) Panic Disorder
  • Current Meds:700mg Quetiapine, 40mg Fluoxetine, 10mg Tamazepam 7.5mgs Zopiclone and Diazepam 5mg PRN

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

*perks up* what's that? You got your breasts back? I'm on the third breastfed kid and this has my interest.

You know when you are pregnant and one night the boob fairy has been and your bust increases? Exactly the same thing, down side is that only my BFing bras fit and I can't afford new lingerie at the moment. But that aside I would say as side effects go, the re-emergence of my libido and nice breast is perfectly acceptable to me!

Claire
Somedays, it's simply not worth chewing through the restraints...

Previously Rx'd
Moclobemide - Pooped out on second attempt.
Abilify - Flipped me out X2
Zopiclone - mmmmm sleep...
Prozac/Fluoxetine - Mania
Effexor/Venaflaxine - Migraines and Mania
Lofepramine - Ridiculous sweating, but did work Pdoc says all tricyclics will have same effect
Lithium
Sodium valproate
Cymbalta - sugar pills
Tegretol (UGH!!)

#24 Sissy Hankshaw

Sissy Hankshaw

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

You know when you are pregnant and one night the boob fairy has been and your bust increases? Exactly the same thing, down side is that only my BFing bras fit and I can't afford new lingerie at the moment. But that aside I would say as side effects go, the re-emergence of my libido and nice breast is perfectly acceptable to me!

Claire

Ooh, I wonder if I could add this on. Don't think bigger breasts is a legit enough reason. If it gets me back my libido that could be enough though, and also an excellent reason.

#25 RadioDollface

RadioDollface

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Diagnoses:Recurrent depression, idiopathic hypersomnia/narcolepsy without cataplexy
  • Current Meds:Fluoxetine 40mg/day, dextroamphetamine 10mg/day

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

Bad news: this is not only really common, it can also last a really freaking long time. There's something called 'post-SSRI sexual dysfunction' - PSSD - which basically means 'You have now sold your soul, or at least your orgasm, to Lexapro and it will NOT GIVE IT BACK! What's that? You're going to stop taking it? Tough luck - we still have your orgasm hostage!'

...yeah, I'm kind of bitter. I was on 15mg/day in my early teens, and I don't know if it was just my body or if it was the meds, because I'd never had an orgasm before Lexapro, despite having experimented. When I was on Lexapro, though - and for years afterwards - my body would really suddenly 'shut off' in the middle of everything. It was incredibly annoying. It wasn't like a joyless orgasm, cause it wasn't any kind of climax; it would be at a totally random point, and suddenly my genitals would up and leave. I'd be like 'excuse me, I'm not done here!' and they'd flip the bird and go for a nap or something. (Metaphorically.)

Good news: a) the randomly-shutting-off thing went away in the end. B) I learned to have fun sexy times without worrying about orgasm. Explaining to your partner that you don't orgasm is kind of embarrassing, and they may struggle not to blame themselves, but you can live and learn. I still don't orgasm, but I have a fun and fulfilling sex life. The most important thing was to broaden my mind about what 'counts' as sex - don't worry about how you *must* do a particular activity, or you *must* orgasm, or whatever; just remember that the point of sex is to feel physically and emotionally good, so do what feels good and improvise from there.
Notes about my diagnoses:
The psychiatrist's letter reads 'Recurrent depression - currently moderate depression'. Officially, I also have idiopathic hypersomnia, but that's only because I flunked the narcolepsy test; if they hadn't caught me on a good day, the diagnosis would be narcolepsy without cataplexy.
Current prescription: dextroamphetamine 10mg/day, fluoxetine 20mg/day (to be increased to 40)
Previous prescriptions: escitalopram (2006-07), fluoxetine (June 2011-Jan 2012), venlafaxine (January-May 2012).
Stopped escitalopram because I moved to England from the US and my new idiot doctor decided that a fourteen-year-old couldn't possibly need medication. Stopped fluoxetine (which worked at first) because the depression came back, badly. Stopped venlafaxine because it sucked ass. Back on fluoxetine because we know it won't make me any more nuts than I am already, and also so that I'm not suddenly going medless in the middle of exam season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog