Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Dopamine Inhibitor?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jorona

jorona

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1/2, Social Anxiety, Migraines
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 30mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Propranolol 10mg PRN

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:49 AM

Is Lexapro considered to be a "dopamine inhibitor"? I'm not even sure what that term really means, so sorry if I seem uneducated.

I'm currently taking a drug called domperidone which increases prolactin while apparently inhibiting dopamine. It was prescribed by my OB/GYN. Then when my PCP prescribed Lexapro I mentioned the domperidone RX and she didn't seem to know much about it (I have to get it from a compounding pharmacy) and didn't seem too concerned. I called my OB twice but have not heard back from her office. Now I've been researching and wonder if there is indeed a reason to be concerned. I don't see pdoc (my first visit) till the 30th.

Edited by jorona, 16 November 2010 - 09:51 AM.

DX: BP 1/2, Social Anxiety, Migraines
RX: Lexapro 30mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Propranolol 10mg PRN
Past RX: Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin SR, Trazodone, Topomax, Ambien, Lamictal, Abilify, Lithium, Buspar, Deplin, Elavil, Atenolol, Saphris

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

Is Lexapro considered to be a "dopamine inhibitor"?

No. Lexapro is a serotonin-selective reuptake inhibitor and has no effect on dopamine.

I'm not even sure what that term really means

Dopamine inhibitor - a drug that prevents dopamine from reaching one of its neurotransmitters.

I'm currently taking a drug called domperidone which increases prolactin while apparently inhibiting dopamine. It was prescribed by my OB/GYN. Then when my PCP prescribed Lexapro I mentioned the domperidone RX and she didn't seem to know much about it (I have to get it from a compounding pharmacy) and didn't seem too concerned. I called my OB twice but have not heard back from her office. Now I've been researching and wonder if there is indeed a reason to be concerned.

Wow, this is the first time our drug-drug interaction checker has been stumped and can't find a med.

From what I can find your PCP is right: there isn't much reason to be worried. Domperidone doesn't go near your brain, and works only on the D2 dopamine receptors that deal with things like nausea and breast milk. There is a negligible drug-drug interaction with Lexapro, but not enough of one to affect the domperidone.

If the following is crazy moon talk, feel free to ignore it. While domperidone is metabolized by a buttload of CYP450 enzymes (CYP1A2, 2B6, 2C8, 2D6 and 3A4/5), almost all of the work is done by CYP3A4/5. Lexapro is a weak inhibitor of CYP2D6. I doubt if a poor metabolizer of CYP2D6 meds would notice the difference.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#3 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

No. Lexapro is a serotonin-selective reuptake inhibitor and has no effect on dopamine.

As it turns out, Lexapro does inhibit dopamine, albeit indirectly.

For an SSRI Lexapro has a relatively high rate of men developing boobs and lactating. "Relatively high" meaning one guy out of tens of thousands will have either or both of those problems instead of one guy out of hundreds of thousands.

Pure, unadulterated serotonin will block dopamine. Lexapro is the only SSRI that is truly selective. The only thing it does is keep your serotonin around longer, and that serotonin will get in the way of any dopamine trying to get to any dopamine receptors in the neighborhood. This also explains why the apathy and emotional blunting of SSRI-induced apathy syndrome is a lot worse with Lexapro than any of the other SSRIs.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#4 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

Doesnt surprise me at all.
Lex hit me like an antipsychotic at 20mg.. seriously. I was totally numb and completely apathetic =(
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#5 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

I'm not even sure what that term really means

Dopamine inhibitor - a drug that prevents dopamine from reaching one of its neurotransmitters.

I'm currently taking a drug called domperidone which increases prolactin while apparently inhibiting dopamine. It was prescribed by my OB/GYN. Then when my PCP prescribed Lexapro I mentioned the domperidone RX and she didn't seem to know much about it (I have to get it from a compounding pharmacy) and didn't seem too concerned. I called my OB twice but have not heard back from her office. Now I've been researching and wonder if there is indeed a reason to be concerned.

Wow, this is the first time our drug-drug interaction checker has been stumped and can't find a med.

From what I can find your PCP is right: there isn't much reason to be worried. Domperidone doesn't go near your brain, and works only on the D2 dopamine receptors that deal with things like nausea and breast milk. There is a negligible drug-drug interaction with Lexapro, but not enough of one to affect the domperidone.

If the following is crazy moon talk, feel free to ignore it. While domperidone is metabolized by a buttload of CYP450 enzymes (CYP1A2, 2B6, 2C8, 2D6 and 3A4/5), almost all of the work is done by CYP3A4/5. Lexapro is a weak inhibitor of CYP2D6. I doubt if a poor metabolizer of CYP2D6 meds would notice the difference.

That's because it has been banned in the USA since at least 2004. Because, you know, it works. Without passing the brain-blood barrier. It is an absolutely fabulous anti-emetic, and comes as a pill and a liquid and a suppository. As a bonus, it will induce lactation (as in, you can give it to a new mom to help her milk come in). It is legal everywhere in the world except the USA. Oh, and it is a novel migraine treatment: at onset of aura, the patient takes a dose of Motilium and then a dose of Naproxen Sodium and bam! No migraine. There is no money in that for US Pharma; Motilium is an old drug, and Naproxen is OTC. South African Package Insert.

d

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#6 In_Remission_elmtree

In_Remission_elmtree
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

Just to add to the dopamine idea, I'm completely convinced that all SSRIs indirectly reduce dopaminergic tone. I took SSRIs for years, and the whole time I had restless legs syndrome (I didn't know that's what it was). Plus the whole anhedonia zombie thing. It stopped when I stopped the SSRIs. The drugs that treat RLS are D2/D3 dopamine receptor agonists, and I now take one (Mirapex) for depression. It works.

I don't know anything about that other drug, but is your dopamine going to tank on an SSRI? Heck yeah it is.

#7 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

Is Celexa just as bad as Lexapro as far as dopamine goes? I've been using Wellbutrin with Celexa and at first it worked well but now I'm kind of numb and totally not interested in anything.

#8 Krog93

Krog93

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Depressive Disorder (unipolar, including OCD traits and the occasional panic attack), ADHD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 10mg, Adderall XR 20mg, Adderall IR 10mg

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Would the serotonin-enhancing effects of remeron (mirtazapine) affect dopamine at all? Remeron is not a reuptake inhibitor, so perhaps it would not have any deleterious effects on dopamine? I ask because although lexapro has pulled me out of a terrible episode of major depression, it has killed the effects of my Adderall, making my ADHD a billion times worse. Feedback would be much appreciated!

Edited by Krog93, 04 March 2014 - 03:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog