Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy
Photo

Neurontin Long-Term Effects?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding Gabapentin. As I understand from the Neurontin page, it is basically a synthetic version of GABA that can, and does, cross the blood-brain barrier. As such, it seems to me like it is almost more of a supplement than a strong drug. But I often see it referred to as strong, and see that people have a lot of trouble getting off it.

I take 600mg a day (morning and early evening) and it has done wonders for my anxiety, which in turn has lifted my depression enough to function, and so far so good for the migraines, too. I am trying to accept that I will probably need to take something for a long time, if not always. If neurontin continues to work for me, I won't mess with it. What concerns me though is what damage it may do over time, as I am still having troubling effects from 9 years of SSRIs, 6 months after being completely off.

As usual, there don't seem to be many/any long-term studies, and my pdoc has said everything is "fine" to take long-term.

I'd like to hear others' experiences with Neurontin, especially if you've taken it for a year or longer.

Also if you can help me understand what neurontin makes the brain do differently, or what effects that may have over time, I would appreciate it very much.

:mad:

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD w/Panic and Major Depression Symptoms
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg/24hr, .25mg Xanax prn

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:52 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding Gabapentin. As I understand from the Neurontin page, it is basically a synthetic version of GABA that can, and does, cross the blood-brain barrier. As such, it seems to me like it is almost more of a supplement than a strong drug. But I often see it referred to as strong, and see that people have a lot of trouble getting off it.

This is somewhat outdated. Actually, quite outdated.

When Gabapentin was designed as a drug, they were trying to create a synthetic analogue of GABA that would survive oral ingestion and cross the BBB to act in the brain. While Gabapentin IS a chemical analogue of GABA, it does NOT interact with GABAergic receptors in the brain. The current mechanism of action it is understood to have is to interact with the alpha-2-delta subunit of the voltage gated calcium channel. Voltage gated calcium channels are present in pre-synaptic neurons. When an electrical impulse reaches the end of a neuron, this ion gate opens, and allows calcium to rush into the cell, and triggers the release of neurotransmitters from stored vesicles.

Since various forms of voltage gated calcium channels are present in basically every neuron (though gabapentin does not interact with all, only some). In terms of raw molecular pharmacology, I wouldn't characterize it as a strong drug - it does a very small amount to an individual neuron, but it does it to a very large, very diverse population of neurons all at once. This is part of why it has so many off-label uses, and can be characterized as such an odd drug when compared to most others.

I take 600mg a day (morning and early evening) and it has done wonders for my anxiety, which in turn has lifted my depression enough to function, and so far so good for the migraines, too. I am trying to accept that I will probably need to take something for a long time, if not always. If neurontin continues to work for me, I won't mess with it. What concerns me though is what damage it may do over time, as I am still having troubling effects from 9 years of SSRIs, 6 months after being completely off.

As usual, there don't seem to be many/any long-term studies, and my pdoc has said everything is "fine" to take long-term.

I'd like to hear others' experiences with Neurontin, especially if you've taken it for a year or longer.

Also if you can help me understand what neurontin makes the brain do differently, or what effects that may have over time, I would appreciate it very much.

Gabapentin has been around for in excess of a decade now. While it has a muddled history, primarily due to Parke-Davis promoting it for off-label use, it's emerged as one of the go-to drugs for dealing with neuropathic pain. In the US there are a LOT of people with neuropathic pain, either due to infection with Herpes Simplex, or more commonly, from Diabetes. Gabapentin gets used a lot here, and it gets used quite long term - as these neuropathies are permanent. Thus far, there's been no indication of any sort of dangerous long term effects. Given the amount of use the drug sees, and how long it's been around, if something catastrophically bad were happening with any frequency, the various monitoring systems in place in our regulatory system would have at least some hint of it - but currently it looks pretty benign.

#3 In_Remission_siglin

In_Remission_siglin
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

Hi,
I've been taking 1800mg a day of gabapentin for about 5 years, it was prescribed by a neurologist for nerve pain and I was taking alot of codeine at the time. I rarely take codeine any more and although I kept telling doctors that it improved my mood but they wouldn't believe me!
I intend on taking for the foreseeable future, I'd rather have the benefits of functioning now rather than worry about what might happen in the future.
Heather

#4 In_Remission_Mrs Butler

In_Remission_Mrs Butler
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

I am on a low dose to combat migraine aura / possible temporal lobe seizures. It has relieved all of my aura symptoms, and unexpectedly relieved chronic long term pain in my shoulder that I didn't mention to the neurologist. I think it has helped my mood, but that might be because I am sleeping so well, or not in pain, or just a placebo affect. Either way, I'm liking it. :mad:

#5 Sholtzee

Sholtzee

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Neuropathic pain
  • Current Meds:Gabapentin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

I don't know if anyone will read this .. Ever.. But anyways, I started taking it 2 weeks ago and it helped with the back/leg pain.. But even better it seems to be regulating my moods. Which quite frankly I thought were fiery and annoying but just "who I am".. But I'm sleeping better ( with only very mild grogginess when I first open my eyes). I don't feel any side effects at all when I'm awake and I am def starting to feel much more ... Stable.. And I wasn't having any mental health issues b4 but I was always so up and down.. So moody.. And the gabapentin started to regulate my mood almost immediately. And I have to say, it's an effect i NEVER expected and one I would stay on it for.. just for that '!! I'm on a low dose. 2 x 200.. Morning and night. So only 400..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions