Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Lithium And Exsessive Emotional Flatness Numbness

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lankeypete

lankeypete

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Diagnoses:Dysthymia/Double depression
  • Current Meds:effexor 300mg seroquel 100mg epilim 1200mg

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

is the emotional flatness/numbness and i hear about a recognized side effect of lithium or is it just a symptom of depression.
i am experiencing a definite lack of emotion that is severe enough to be of concern to me but my pdoc says this is just a symptom of my depression and says that its not the lithium she repeated the phrase "lithium doesn't do that" multiple times.

if there are any articles around or if anyone has seen it stated as one of the side effects i would like to know.
is it possible that being a drug to stabilize mood emotional numbness is the desired effect for treating bipolar? and im just not at any mood extremes to begin with i notice it more?

Regards Mr Lankeypete

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_Pills

In_Remission_Pills
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:59 PM

is the emotional flatness/numbness and i hear about a recognized side effect of lithium or is it just a symptom of depression.
i am experiencing a definite lack of emotion that is severe enough to be of concern to me but my pdoc says this is just a symptom of my depression and says that its not the lithium she repeated the phrase "lithium doesn't do that" multiple times.

if there are any articles around or if anyone has seen it stated as one of the side effects i would like to know.
is it possible that being a drug to stabilize mood emotional numbness is the desired effect for treating bipolar? and im just not at any mood extremes to begin with i notice it more?

Regards Mr Lankeypete

Lithium generally does not cause emotional blunting if it's prescribed correctly.

What dose did your pdoc start you at? Sometimes a feeling that can be called "flatness" could happen if they start you too high or push the dose up too fast.
Your on 1350 mg? That is a somewhat high dose. Have you considered talking to your pdoc about lowering the lithium?

The 'flatness' you describe is most likely a symptom of your depression. IMO the mood stabilizers are not nearly as emotionally blunting as the anti-psychotics or the SSRI's.

#3 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:21 PM

You have already asked this question. I answered it. Jerod answered it. And then you told us both that your doctor was taking you off of Lithium. This point is now moot.

Unless this has changed, I will be closing this thread.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog