Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Wellbutrin With Neurontin

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Has anyone used the combo of Wellbutrin and Neurontin? The Wellbutrin works well for me (with 20mgs Celexa) but my anxiety is high. The Wellbutrin even seems to cause body tension or physical anxiety, don't really know what to call it. So I'm trying to stay on the Wellbutrin and find something that works with it for anxiety.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

I had this as well. I had to quit wellbutrin the anxiety was just too much. I went on desipramine at 75mg initially and the anxiety wasnt so bad. It wasnt as activating as wellbutrin though.
You could raise celexa, or see if something else might take the edge off. Neurontin will probably have too much in the way of side effects to be worthwhile.
Ive seen some people that do really well on wellbutrin take benzos for the anxiety but many docs wont agree to that.
Wish I had a good answer..
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#3 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

I had this as well. I had to quit wellbutrin the anxiety was just too much. I went on desipramine at 75mg initially and the anxiety wasnt so bad. It wasnt as activating as wellbutrin though.
You could raise celexa, or see if something else might take the edge off. Neurontin will probably have too much in the way of side effects to be worthwhile.
Ive seen some people that do really well on wellbutrin take benzos for the anxiety but many docs wont agree to that.
Wish I had a good answer..

I do take lorazepam 1mg @ night and 1/2mg in the morning sometime. My pdoc said I should just increase the lorazepam but I'm hesitant to do that. I don't know if I'm taking enough lorazepam though. I had thought of clonazepam but I tried it a long time ago (not with wellbutrin) and it actually increased my depression. All your answers are good suggestions.

#4 In_Remission_hecuba

In_Remission_hecuba
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:59 AM

I take wellbutrin and neurontin. For me, this combo is the magic bullet that makes life livable.

#5 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:03 AM

What dosages are you on? Any side effects from neurontin?
I have a relative that took it for pain and she had balance issues and brain fog.
Zombiez ate my brain

#6 In_Remission_hecuba

In_Remission_hecuba
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

I take 450mg wellbutrin and 300-600mg neurontin (300mg every night and 300mg every other morning or so).
The neurontin helps me sleep - really "normal" feeling sleep - ne weird dreams, no waking all night long, no waiting hours in the dark to fall asleep.
The neurontin also quells the GAD and decreases the panic attacks. (The anxiety stuff predates the wellbutrin by at least a decade).
On this combo I'm needing very little prn xanax, sleeping better than ever, able to leave my house and have a job and have friends and grocery shop and go to the bank. It truly feels like a miracle to me to live this way.

#7 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

I had great results with Neurontin for anxiety, and the SE's were really only startup ones. If your pdoc approves, I would give it a try.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#8 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

Karen - GAD is actually Axis I, not Axis II.. Axis II is reserved for Personality Disorders.

If you don't respond to Neurontin, or only partially, you might have better results on Lyrica. A significant portion of the population has bioavailability issues when it comes to N, which is why it is really hit or miss on if it works or not. Lyrica does not have the bioavailability issues that N does, and has actually been approved for Anxiety across the pond.. something N hasn't achieved yet.
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#9 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

I had great results with Neurontin for anxiety, and the SE's were really only startup ones. If your pdoc approves, I would give it a try.

Were you taking Wellbutrin at the same time as the Neurontin? Did it stop working for you?

#10 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

Were you taking Wellbutrin at the same time as the Neurontin? Did it stop working for you?

No, it worked great for me the whole time I took it. I discontinued it because we did a trial of Tegretol which killed the anxiety by itself, so I didn't need the Neurontin anymore (I wasn't anxious when I woke up in the morning, as I had been before). Unfortunately the Tegretol did nothing for my very bad and long lasting depression, so we stopped that and tried the Wellbutrin. I don't seem to have a big bump in anxiety from Wellbutrin (didn't either the last time I took it many years ago), so I've been able to get away with just a tiny bit of Xanax prn. However, were I to have a recurrence of the anxiety, I would not hesitate to try Neurontin again.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#11 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

wellbutrin was good stuff for me, until it pooped out. Had lots of energy, motivation and low amounts of body pain. After awhile and hitting max dose I think all it did was give me heartburn and anxiety =(
Wellbutrin was never able to help the carb cravings I had on celexa. I think it made me eat more, in fact.
Might give it another spin without any SSRI just to see if it works again.
Zombiez ate my brain

#12 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

wellbutrin was good stuff for me, until it pooped out. Had lots of energy, motivation and low amounts of body pain. After awhile and hitting max dose I think all it did was give me heartburn and anxiety =(
Wellbutrin was never able to help the carb cravings I had on celexa. I think it made me eat more, in fact.
Might give it another spin without any SSRI just to see if it works again.

Since I started Wellbutrin I've lost the 40lbs I put on from Prozac, so it definitely curbs my appetite and one of the things I really like about it. Thinking back, my anxiety is defintely still there but its always been there and now with Celexa and Wellbutrin it just seems a bit higher. I have like a body anxiety though (don't know what else to call it...my body feels very tense and not relaxed at all. Is that just plain anxiety? In the last month I've cut back to 150mg WellbutrinXL every other day and cut back from 20mg Celexa to 10mg. I'm definitely starting to feel depression rearing its ugly head so I have to do something. Any suggestions? I don't know if its cutting back on the wellbutrin or the celexa (or both)? Don't feel much like doing anything and I'm a little compulsive too....so I just sit at computer for hours instead of doing things I should be doing and forgot completely about an appt I had yesterday. So I know I'm in trouble and need to do something about it. I'm going to get an appt with my pdoc but would like to have more suggestions to take to him. He says I know myself better than him so he asks me what I think about meds, etc. Great guy!!

#13 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:04 AM

10mg celexa isnt much. Are you sure its even doing something at that dose?
Zombiez ate my brain

#14 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

10mg celexa isnt much. Are you sure its even doing something at that dose?

You're right. I saw my pdoc today and he want me to take 20mg Celexa (and if that doesn't help we'll switch to Lexapro), he wants me to take Xanax for a month instead of Lorazepam (to see if it helps better with anxiety) and he also says that I should cut the WellbutrinXL 150mg in half and take the half every day. I said the pharmacist said I wasn't to cut the XL and when I researched it on internet , was told not to cut the XL.....but he wants me to try it. So I guess I will. I'll post on how it goes.

#15 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

A lot of people get away with taking Seroquel IR and Geodon once a day, so it is theoretically possible that the Welly XR turned IR could work for you.

As always, YMMV.
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#16 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

He might be right about the XL. Could be wrong too. it depends on whether its the outer coating or the stuff inside that manages the release mechanism. Usually the rule of thumbs is if its any kind of extended release dont cut it up.
Since the coating on the wellbutrin XL Ive taken seems to remain intact Im assuming its part of the release. Just be careful, if you get really speedy or get a nasty headache, that sort of thing.
Zombiez ate my brain

#17 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:31 AM

He might be right about the XL. Could be wrong too. it depends on whether its the outer coating or the stuff inside that manages the release mechanism. Usually the rule of thumbs is if its any kind of extended release dont cut it up.
Since the coating on the wellbutrin XL Ive taken seems to remain intact Im assuming its part of the release. Just be careful, if you get really speedy or get a nasty headache, that sort of thing.

I asked the pharmacist again and she said they are told to tell us that we shouldn't cut them because they don't know what will happen. Everyone will react differently. I think I'm going to take the 150mg daily with the Xanax (which I'm really afraid of, don't know why) and take the 20mg of Celexa and see what happens in a few weeks. I do have some Buproprion SR 100mgs but i tried them for about a week a while back and they didn't seem to do much. I've read that there definitely is a difference in how the generic wellbutrin acts. In Canada the only form of generic wellbutrin is the SR100mg (thats how I understood the information). I thought maybe I could take try 2x50mg IR but was told yesterday by pharmacist that we don't have them anymore. Why don't the manufacturers of these meds realize that not everyone needs such large dosages of meds and I've always thought people should start out on the lowest dosage possible and go up as needed. Money, I guess!!!

#18 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:34 AM

A lot of people get away with taking Seroquel IR and Geodon once a day, so it is theoretically possible that the Welly XR turned IR could work for you.

As always, YMMV.

I do have some of the 100mg SR but they are generic (as far as I understand its the only dosage of welllbutrin thats generic) and when I tried them they didn't feel the same. I've read the makeup of the generic wellbutrin does not work the same.

#19 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

After doing more searching on wellbutrin SR, it seems that Wellbutrin SR manufactured by Watson Pharmaceuticals acts the same way the brand name Wellbutrin does....so I'm going to ask my pharmacist for the 100SR from Watson's. I believe its available in Canada?? Anyway, cutting the 150XL in half didn't work. Felt awful. Very anxious and agitated. So....I'm upping my Celexa back to 20mg (may go to 30mg) and staying on lorazepam (don't want to take the Xanax) and will try the generic 100SR if I can get Watson's. Also...I'm having problems with my hair thinning out and don't know if its from Wellbutrin or not so if my hair continues to fall out it won't matter whether wellbutrin works for me or not....I'll have to stop the Wellutrin. My hairdresser said its thinning enough to be very concerned. The pharmacist said its not a common side effect. I did lose weight at the same time I started Wellbutrin so it may be that. But I've stopped losing and am maintaining my weight now and the hair is continuing to thin out. Sorry for rambling.

#20 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

It's really encouraging to see some folks having luck on this combo. I just started wellbutrin for depression (I've been on it before and it seemed to work better than most SSRIs and SNRIs hate me) but I really need something for migraines too. And possibly anxiety, as my pdoc wants to cut me off the valium. We were trying mood stabilizers + lexapro with no luck so i'm a trying to be optimistic about the wellbutrin, and really want to try neurontin with it. Just hoping I don't get the morontin effect, I was pretty dumb on topamax.

I wonder if Biotin supplements would help with hair loss?
Or is that a lamictal-specific thing.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

#21 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:41 AM

It's really encouraging to see some folks having luck on this combo. I just started wellbutrin for depression (I've been on it before and it seemed to work better than most SSRIs and SNRIs hate me) but I really need something for migraines too. And possibly anxiety, as my pdoc wants to cut me off the valium. We were trying mood stabilizers + lexapro with no luck so i'm a trying to be optimistic about the wellbutrin, and really want to try neurontin with it. Just hoping I don't get the morontin effect, I was pretty dumb on topamax.

I wonder if Biotin supplements would help with hair loss?
Or is that a lamictal-specific thing.

I'm going to try the Biotin supplements, I've read that the help. Good luck on the wellbutrin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog