Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs

Vyvanse

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Amethyst

In_Remission_Amethyst
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

Okay, so.. with a big edit:

My former dose of Adderall XR (60mg a day) is equivalent to Vyvanse ( 140mgs a day)

Vyvanse is in my opinion a much better alternative to Adderall XR.
My reasons are that Vyvanse is:
smoother; doesn't come in mild waves I experienced with Adderall XR
lasts longer; for me 4 hours on average so far
doesn't raise my blood pressure like Adderall XR did
didn't give me a headache at any point- even when it was wearing off
doesn't produce as much of a euphoria at first that Adderall XR

The only downside where Vyvanse is not winning my vote, when it really starts wearing off I become irritable. The level of this irritability can be compared to when I have been off of all medication for a couple weeks. It was very intense, and I was snapping at my husband and brother who were holding a conversation around me for a couple hours. They called me a couple names, I'm sure you all can use your imagination.

Current cocktail:
1200mg Seroquel
400mg Topamax
140mg Vyvanse

And, THANK YOU JARED for not giving up, this site is a lifesaver.

Edited by Amethyst, 15 December 2007 - 06:59 AM.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 In_Remission_Eli

In_Remission_Eli
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

My experience with vyvanse is that it last the full 12 hours for me but I am taking it for depression not ADHD. My biggest issue with it is that I have no appetite. I have always been thin but on Vyvanse I have dropped to 93lbs. I also get irritable when my dose wears off.

Okay, so.. with a big edit:

My former dose of Adderall XR (60mg a day) is equivalent to Vyvanse ( 140mgs a day)

Vyvanse is in my opinion a much better alternative to Adderall XR.
My reasons are that Vyvanse is:
smoother; doesn't come in mild waves I experienced with Adderall XR
lasts longer; for me 4 hours on average so far
doesn't raise my blood pressure like Adderall XR did
didn't give me a headache at any point- even when it was wearing off
doesn't produce as much of a euphoria at first that Adderall XR

The only downside where Vyvanse is not winning my vote, when it really starts wearing off I become irritable. The level of this irritability can be compared to when I have been off of all medication for a couple weeks. It was very intense, and I was snapping at my husband and brother who were holding a conversation around me for a couple hours. They called me a couple names, I'm sure you all can use your imagination.

Current cocktail:
1200mg Seroquel
400mg Topamax
140mg Vyvanse

And, THANK YOU JARED for not giving up, this site is a lifesaver.

#3 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

I hear you on the irritability. I've had the same thing happen. Otherwise, it does work pretty well - I'm just not sure it's worth the irritability. Unfortunately, my pdoc thinks it's the best thing she's ever seen, so I'm stuck with it, irritable or not.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#4 In_Remission_Eli

In_Remission_Eli
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

We are all on meds anyhow so why not add another one?? :mad: - maybe ask your doc to add a VERY small dosage of something to help you relax at the end of the cycle.

I hear you on the irritability. I've had the same thing happen. Otherwise, it does work pretty well - I'm just not sure it's worth the irritability. Unfortunately, my pdoc thinks it's the best thing she's ever seen, so I'm stuck with it, irritable or not.

#5 In_Remission_Otter

In_Remission_Otter
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

...Just wanted to add my "vyvanse report", and see if anyone else is noticing similar stuff.

I'm in week 3 of trying it out. Started at 50mg without much success, and am taking 1.5 capsules (roughly 70mg) until time for the next Rx. That seems to work. I agree with y'all on the irritability...crabby-she-devil-from-the-pits-of-hell doesn't even begin to describe the depths of my crabbiness. I was way festive at Christmas.

The irritable-ness seems to be settling down, though. I notice a pocket of evil right around the time it starts to work, and then again when it wears off, but other than that, it's not so bad.

My pdoc is letting me choose between adderall and vyvanse, and I still can't decide. 2xs daily dosing is a pain, sure, but it's also kind of nice. I like being able to choose adhd/no adhd, because there's a time and a place for it: Work: MUST be medicated or I will lose job. Home: Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It all depends on the situation.

If the crankiness gets worse though, I'm off the sauce.
-Otter

#6 In_Remission_Gracie

In_Remission_Gracie
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:19 AM

I have was diagnosed BP 7 years ago and found out yesterday I have ADHD, they put me on a med for ADHD called Vyvanse, does anybody know anything about this drug or have ever taken it before, please let me know!

Gracie

#7 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

You'll find above what some people think of it. Basically, it's a long acting form of Dexedrine that's converted to its active form in your gut. It's supposed to be smoother, longer lasting, and have less potential for abuse than some of the other long acting ADD meds out there (Adderall XR especially). Vyvanse is actually only approved for children at this point, but, obviously, it is being rx'ed for adults as well.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#8 In_Remission_jwires

In_Remission_jwires
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:41 AM

You'll find above what some people think of it. Basically, it's a long acting form of Dexedrine that's converted to its active form in your gut. It's supposed to be smoother, longer lasting, and have less potential for abuse than some of the other long acting ADD meds out there (Adderall especially). Vyvanse is actually only approved for children at this point, but, obviously, it is being rx'ed for adults as well.

Actually, I read this morning that Vyvanse was recently approved for adult use also. I'm not sure if the source was reliable though. I'm not sure where I saw it exactly, but it's just a thought.

I'm currently on Adderall XR 30mg and I'm just wondering about the differences between the two. I see people are experiencing irritability when coming off the Vyvanse, and if that's a common side effect I better stay away from that drug because I'm irritable most of the time anyway . I've never experienced this irritability on coming of the Adderall XR, and it's still working wonders with my ADD, so I'm not planning on asking for a switch to Vyvanse. I'm just curious as to what the exact differences are. Keep 'em coming people! Haha.

Thanks,
Josh

#9 In_Remission_katrem

In_Remission_katrem
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

I am on 50 mg vyvanse and i like it so much better than adderall. I took adderall for 15 years and I am just sick of it, I have experienced headaches and insomia since well forever. The only thing is I have pmdd and durring that time when the vyvanse wears off I had the worst headache Ive ever had. It lasted for about 12 hours, the last hour being the worst, advil did not help, wet compress did not help, dark room, no light, no sound, nothing helped. I finally just accepted that it wasnt going to go away and 30 min later it was gone. Im 25 now and I really like vyvanse and think its a miracle.

#10 rex

rex

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Diagnoses:Disthymia w/occasional MDD, adult ADHD, insomnia
  • Current Meds:Daytrana 15 mg, Emsam 6/24, trazadone 100 mg, hydroxyzine 100 mg

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

Started Vyvanse at 40 mg about a week and a half ago. Had all the side effects (constant dry mouth, short term memory loss, leg spasms, insomnia) for a few days. As long as it worked, it was great (a little aggressiveness, but mostly positive energy) but after about a week it was dropping off after about 5-6 hours and I'd be worthless from 3:00 on. Irritable, melancholy, wanting to lie on the sofa and not be interrupted.

Went up a couple of days ago to 70 mg every morning, and it works great. Lasts til 5 or 6.

#11 elegy

elegy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Diagnoses:My own kind of crazy
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Lamictal, Seroquel, Focalin, Abilify

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

Vyvanse was complete and utter fail for me. In addition to not working at all, it made me a lethargic, depressed zombie. It was awful. Tried 50, tried 70, and all I got was a ride on the failboat.
"Shift that fat ass, Harry. But slowly, or you'll swamp the damn boat!"

-- George Washington, 1776

'I don't want to be lonely, I just want to be alone.'

Working Dx: MDD, Bipolar NOS, ADHD, LD-NOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts