Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Prozac Weakest Ssri

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 catman1981

catman1981

DIY Trepanist

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Diagnoses:ocd, bdd, depression, gad, BPD, panic
  • Current Meds:lexapro, klons

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

is this true? That it is the weakest ssri thats why they perscribe it to kids? it worked for me at first but sure as hell is not working as good as when i started it!!!

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Artemisia

Artemisia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:sertraline, cetirizine, zolpidem

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

They prescribe it to kids because it stays in your body for a while, so you don't get withdrawal symptoms after skipping one day (because kids are expected to be irresponsible when taking medications). It's also been on the market the longest--and seems safe--so that helps as well.

It's not the most selective (toward serotonin) of the SSRIs. I'm not sure how one would go about precisely quantifying its strength. The newer SSRIs were developed partly to try to avoid some of the side effects of Prozac. The side effects are pretty individual, though, so there are no firm guarantees....

Edit: You should probably talk to your prescriber about increasing the dose (if that's safe to do), augmenting it with something, or (especially if you haven't been on a lot of antidepressants) switching to something else.

Edited by Artemisia, 26 August 2010 - 02:45 PM.

Current meds: sertraline 100mg, cetirizine 5mg, zolpidem 2.5 mg

#3 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

catman, antidepressants as a class are notorious for pooping out on you after a while. It's not just Prozac that often grows less effective as time goes on.

#4 Kurgan

Kurgan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine 400mg Mirtazapine 45mg 50mg fluvoxamine Diazepam 30mg prn

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

In the clinic strength and weakness is judged by efficacy: how well the drug does. Prozac is not the weakest.

In terms of selectivity and blocking serotonin reuptake, it is the weakest. It also has a very long half life.

In terms of how well it can work for you, it is by no means weak.

Paroxetine is the "strongest" SSRI, but is it the strongest in a clinical sense? Not for depression.

Edited by Kurgan, 08 November 2010 - 11:46 AM.

400mg of lamotrigine really hit the spot for depressive symptoms.

Mirtazapine was the icing on the cake.

I am both crazy in the psych and neuro departments btw. No seizures though.

#5 Kurgan

Kurgan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine 400mg Mirtazapine 45mg 50mg fluvoxamine Diazepam 30mg prn

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

Upping the dose is the logical next step if it has worked for you. You can go very high with Prozac.

I have been up to 120mg (as prescribed by my psych; not me screwing around).
400mg of lamotrigine really hit the spot for depressive symptoms.

Mirtazapine was the icing on the cake.

I am both crazy in the psych and neuro departments btw. No seizures though.

#6 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

I wouldnt say prozac was a weak AD. That award probably belongs to trazodone.
Prozac hits a bunch of stuff other than serotonin. And some people claim it increases their pain level and messes with their blood sugar.
Some of the things its approved for kind of make me wonder. I got really angry and irritable on it. =(
If it was me, I wouldnt go looking for the strongest SSRI. Id make a list of all the choices in that class and what their potential side effects are, and I would try them in order of perceived risk versus benefit.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog