Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

How Long Until Remeron Works For Sleep?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 butterfly430

butterfly430

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

If it hasn't really worked for the first 4 nights, is it possible that it might eventually work? Does it always work right away for sleep? Should I hang in there? I feel anti-depressant effects the next day, but no noticeable effect on sleep. I've tried 7.5 and 15 mg - should I go up to 30 or will it have the opposite effect, as I've heard. BTW: I take Cymbalta in the morning. Thanks.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 korey1015

korey1015

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:check my signature

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

In my experience with Remeron, you have to take the dose at night but do NOT immediately get in bed after taking the dose. Take it an hour or so before you actually intend to fall asleep. For some reason, it only sedates me when I take it and then continue about my night as if I weren't preparing to sleep (i.e. something engaging, like reading internet forums :-P). Then half an hour later, I can hardly keep my eyes open. But when I take it and go straight to bed, it doesn't help me get to sleep all that well. YMMV

Current Rx:
Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 200mg, and Restoril 30mg

Things I have been prescribed:
Lexapro (escitalopram), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Remeron (mirtazapine), Wellbutrin SR/XL (bupropion), Eskalith CR (lithium), Topamax (topiramate), Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepam), Tranxene (clorazepate), Ambien (zolpidem), Restoril (temazepam), Rozerem (ramelteon), Desyrel (trazodone), Ritalin (methylphenidate), Adderall (amphetamine salts), Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine), Inderal (propranolol), Lopressor (metoprolol), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Depakote (divalproex), Geodon (ziprasidone), Sinequan (doxepin), Somnote (chloral hydrate), ProSom (estazolam)

#3 butterfly430

butterfly430

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

In my experience with Remeron, you have to take the dose at night but do NOT immediately get in bed after taking the dose. Take it an hour or so before you actually intend to fall asleep. For some reason, it only sedates me when I take it and then continue about my night as if I weren't preparing to sleep (i.e. something engaging, like reading internet forums :-P). Then half an hour later, I can hardly keep my eyes open. But when I take it and go straight to bed, it doesn't help me get to sleep all that well. YMMV

Thanks for your response. How much are you taking?

#4 korey1015

korey1015

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:check my signature

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for your response. How much are you taking?

Currently, I am not taking Remeron. I took it last summer at 30mg/night as an antidepressant, then I took 7.5 to 15mg as needed for sleep from earlier this year til June. Then I ran out of it (I had been taking what was leftover from last summer) and started having sleeping troubles again. On my pdoc appointment a couple weeks ago, I wanted to try something that would help with both sleep and next-day anxiety, so I suggested Tranxene. My pdoc went along with it and put me on 15mg of Tranxene per night. After a couple weeks of that, I just recently decided to stop taking it. It does not help me sleep at night, but I almost always took at least one inconveniently-timed nap each day while on it. Also, it does not seem to help with anxiety, either. I have been wanting to call my pdoc for the past few days to tell him that I stopped the Tranxene (and the reasons why, of course) and to ask him if I could start taking low-dose Remeron as needed for sleep. I've been nervous about making the call since Remeron was stopped last summer as an antidepressant because it made me gain a lot of weight quickly, so I anticipate his answer will be "We've already tried Remeron and failed, so I don't think we should try it again" even though I know it works for me as a sleep aid when taken at lower doses. Urgh, I dislike this anticipatory anxiety. I've been thinking about just making one of those "Prescription requests" on Walgreens.com so Walgreens can send the request instead of me, haha. I'm such a chicken.

Edited by korey1015, 22 July 2010 - 06:47 PM.

Current Rx:
Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 200mg, and Restoril 30mg

Things I have been prescribed:
Lexapro (escitalopram), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Remeron (mirtazapine), Wellbutrin SR/XL (bupropion), Eskalith CR (lithium), Topamax (topiramate), Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepam), Tranxene (clorazepate), Ambien (zolpidem), Restoril (temazepam), Rozerem (ramelteon), Desyrel (trazodone), Ritalin (methylphenidate), Adderall (amphetamine salts), Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine), Inderal (propranolol), Lopressor (metoprolol), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Depakote (divalproex), Geodon (ziprasidone), Sinequan (doxepin), Somnote (chloral hydrate), ProSom (estazolam)

#5 In_Remission_arizonasooner

In_Remission_arizonasooner
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

I say go with what works for you.

Years ago I was on Lexapro and it made me feel better (and sleep better) but I went off of it due to the sexual side effects. Tried other stuff, including no meds, which was okay but I spent a lot of time trying to gain control of myself rather than being able to relax and enjoy life. Ended up using alcohol a lot, which I don't think is the best option.

So I went back to the doc and asked for Lexapro and he recommended Celexa which seems to work just as well as Lexapro for the anxiety. Additionally, he put me on Remeron (Mirtazapine) which help me sleep also, if taken 30 min to an hour before bedtime. I had feared going back and asking for more or different meds, but it worked out fine in the end. You should go for it also.

#6 A PirateSaysARRRRR

A PirateSaysARRRRR

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD,Social Phobia, Panic Disorder, "mood issues"
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine 100mg, diazepam 10mg 3x per day, Abilify 10mg

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

When I took it at 15mg it worked the first night. To me, the Remeron was a better sleep aid than Ambien.
DX: GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder, some kind of "mood issues" apparently.
RX: Lamictal 150mg, diazepam 10mg 3x per day, Abilify 15mg

Shit that didn't work: Sertrailne, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Gabapentin, Paroxetine, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta, Zolpidem, Bpropion XL, Pristiq, fluoxetine, clonazepam

And I swear I left my sanity someplace in this mess
crumpled between empty beers and packs of ciagarettes

#7 Hatkevtonin

Hatkevtonin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression and Insomnia
  • Current Meds:Bupropion SR 200mg BID, Elavil 50mg, 0.1mg PRN Clonidine

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

I didn't handle remeron very well in general. Tried 15 mg to start and 2 weeks later I felt like a complete zombie. I was unable to relate to my own friends and had to struggle with empathy. The only real emotion I was able to hold onto was anger.
Plus it didn't help me sleep at all. I'd go into these cycles of 30-45 minutes asleep/1-1.5 hours awake. With each cycle I could recall a new and disturbing dream. It was so bad that I often had trouble discerning what I dreamt with actuality. I felt like I was going mad, essentially. So I rid myself of remeron as fast as I could. But as one can plainly see by the variety of reactions here that it is different for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog