Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy

High As A Kite On Nuvigil-- Normal Or Not?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_buriedinbooks

In_Remission_buriedinbooks
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

Anyone who's tried Nuvigil, I could use your input.

I'm a female major depressive with anxiety, on Lexapro 10mg which works better for me than Prozac, Celexa, or Effexor XR but renders me majorly apathetic and unmotivated-- not good, especially now because I'm studying for the bar exam.

Was misdiagnosed last summer as bipoloar II when my pdoc saw me in her office in a highly anxious and angry state; she put me on Lamactal 100mg and weened me off the Lex over a 6-month period. Two months after stopping Lex I plunged into the darkest, most suicidal depression of my life. Also, the Lamictal caused localized, very itchy rash breakouts and a startling amount of hair loss. So I weened off the Lamictal and have been back on Lex 10mg for about a month, and I'm out of the depths of whale shit but the fatigue and fogginess are killing me.

I asked about adding a smidgen of Wellbutrin, but pdoc wanted me to try Nuvigil first because she thinks WB might make me too anxious. I'm highly med-sensitive-- coffee gives me the shakes, and even .5mg Klonopin puts me right to sleep. So she told me to start with 75mg of Nuvigil (half the usual starting dose).

Took my first dose this morning and holy high, batman-- I feel like I'm on a recreational drug. Can't stop laughing, and am having a lot of trouble focusing on one task at a time. Not especially jittery, no feeling of euphoria or impulsive urges or anything like that. But the laughing and nervous energy is a little strange. Anyone else experience this? If this effect is known to go away after a few days, I'll stick with it. But if it's like this every day, I don't think this is the drug for me because there's no way I can study like this-- I can barely sit still!

Thanks for any input!

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_pisces

In_Remission_pisces
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

I have depression, anxiety and ADD but also have excessive daytime sleepiness. I have trouble with stimulants (Adderall, Vyvanse) because a couple of days and my anxiety goes through the roof but they really help you concentrate. The doctor just tried me on Nuvigil for the sleepiness. I've found that although it keeps me awake it didn't help me focus at all. And although it's not supposed to be as stimulating, my anxiety was pretty bad. And I felt plain weird for a couple of hours. I don't think I can describe it. I'm going to try and give it a chance but so far, not too happy with it. Definitely not a huge help with the ADD.

#3 cherrybomb

cherrybomb

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Diagnoses:Ultra-rapid BPII, GAD
  • Current Meds:Lithium 900mg, Fanapt 6mg, Latuda 20mg

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Anyone who's tried Nuvigil, I could use your input.

Took my first dose this morning and holy high, batman-- I feel like I'm on a recreational drug. Can't stop laughing, and am having a lot of trouble focusing on one task at a time. Not especially jittery, no feeling of euphoria or impulsive urges or anything like that. But the laughing and nervous energy is a little strange. Anyone else experience this? If this effect is known to go away after a few days, I'll stick with it. But if it's like this every day, I don't think this is the drug for me because there's no way I can study like this-- I can barely sit still!

Thanks for any input!

I take Nuvigil for bipolar depression (bipolar II, ultra-rapid flavor) and if I take too much, I feel really amped up, almost hypomanic. How much are you on? I started off with 150mg and that was wayyyy too much. I'm pretty sensitive to meds, and typically "sub-therapeutic doses" work for me. But all at the behest of my pdoc. He knows I'm sensitive, and we work together.

Have you asked your own doctor about this feeling? I would ask your pdoc about taking a smaller dose, because I ended up benefiting from less.

#4 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

I took Provigil, which is essentially Nuvigil, for a number of years. I experienced what you did at first but it settled down over a week or so.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADD, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg, Abilify 15 mg, Eszopiclone 6 mg, Vyvance 70 mg, Levetiracetam 2,000 mg, Propranolol ER 60 mg
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg, Alprazolam 1-2 mg, Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg, Propranolol 20-40 mg

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADD, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

All doses are a daily total.

#5 inmyhead

inmyhead

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:schizoaffective (BP) type
  • Current Meds:lamictal 300mg qd, latuda 80mg qd, nuvigil 500bid, paxil 80mg,ativan,metformin.
  • Location:small town usa, where everybody knows your name and 'creative living' tactics are necessary.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

i am currently on nuvigil and have extensive experience with provigil. the first few times i did feel 'stimulated' (using the term loosely as it isn't really a stimulant) but that faded. one time i inadvertently took an extremely high dose of provigil and it did feel like a recreational drug, but the feeling faded fast. now on nuvigil and don't have any 'high' feelings. sometimes nuvigil does give me the feeling that i want to accomplish more, but i think that is because i'm feeling more stable at the time.

bottomline, those feelings should subside.
[I have lived so many lives...all in my head.]
[don't you tell me how i feel........you don't know just how i feel.]

#6 In_Remission_Ranx0r0x

In_Remission_Ranx0r0x
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

I've been taking Provigil for some time and it helps with the bad effects of apnea and RLS. I can actually function. I do not like its side effects but, hey, you live with what makes a great change. I tried Nuvigil for a month but wasn't impressed. However, I think I made a big mistake in not giving it a longer trial period. It did not have the side effects of Provigil.

There seems to be a persistent view of all the racemic drugs that only one half is really the good stuff and the other half is garbage. Somehow the right hand may be the good stuff and the left hand the side effect. With many of them there are also effects -- not just side effects -- that are desirable for some.

#7 bwellborn

bwellborn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:adhd-ptsd
  • Current Meds:nuvigil, straterra, lithium, morphine

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Your story is similar to mine, i was bipolar,5 years but to find out, my body will not absorbb-12 without injection, once i found new dr got b-12 right nuvigil helps, because i have adhd, ptsd from bad child hood. I would like to talk more to ya because im not going to wright everything, but im trying to find a lawyer with experience in this. I tried suside 3 times this year, then when i got out of inpatient this time i found new dr. Asked the questions to make sure they were listing. We spent 6000 dollars on bipolar meds that were nnot making me manic, i was getting high. That dr diagnosed me with bipolar while i was on oxycotin after a back surgery. No wonder i was seeing things. He must if made millions from my insurance company. Makes you wonder [identifying info. deleted]

Edited by martasi2, 10 December 2012 - 08:14 PM.
removed identifying/personal info.

#8 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

bwellborn,

This post is similar to your other post about Nuvigil. I do hope you find resolution for your concerns, but we can't give legal advice or references to attorneys here.

#9 genster

genster

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

I like provigil better than nuvigil.  It worked for my apnea and my other conditions. This is the only site still selling without a prescription http://www.superdrugsaver.com/ and it worked good for me.

Edited by genster, 28 August 2013 - 12:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions