Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Adderall + Lamictal/abilify

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 paganpoetry

paganpoetry

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, ADD, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Adderall (just got taken off Lamictal and Lexapro due to side effects.)

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

My diagnoses are Bipolar II and ADD. I'm taking 40mg Prozac, 10mg Abilify, 100mg Lamictal, and 40mg Adderall. I've been on Adderall before, and it worked much better. On this current med combination, Adderall does pretty much nothing.

I did some Googling, and I've noticed that other people mentioned that they had problems with Adderall + Lamictal. Has anyone else experienced this? At what doses?

Also, could it possibly be the Abilify? Does Ritalin have any interactions with Lamictal or Abilify?

Any info would be great, thanks in advance.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 Katyusha

Katyusha

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:selegiline 20mg, liothyronine (T3) 35mcg, mixed amphetamine salts XR 10-15mg, lorazepam 0.5mg prn

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

As I posted in another thread, there has been some study of the combo of aripiprazole and d-amphetamine (Adderall's an amphetamine-salt brew). Granted, these are all done with some of the same researchers and there's considerable overlap in conclusions (nicer to see other institutions/groups replicating the results)...
Aripiprazole as a potential pharmacotherapy for stimulant dependence: human laboratory studies with d-amphetamine.

[...] Aripiprazole (10 mg) failed to alter the discriminative-stimulus effects but attenuated some of the subject-rated effects of d-amphetamine. [...]

A low dose of aripiprazole attenuates the subject-rated effects of d-amphetamine.

[...] The results of the present experiment indicate that 10 mg aripiprazole attenuated some abuse-related behavioral effects of d-amphetamine and was generally devoid of effects, including significant performance impairment, when administered alone. [...]

Aripiprazole Attenuates the Discriminative-Stimulus and Subject-Rated Effects of D-Amphetamine in Humans

So, 10mg of Abilify could plausibly reduce the effect you feel from the Adderall.

(As to your other questions, hopefully someone has a clue; I don't know how Lamictal would interact, or whether Ritalin's DRI effects mean it would work any better in an Abilify combo...)
"Maeterlinck says: If Socrates leave his house today he will find the sage seated on his doorstep. If Judas go forth tonight it is to Judas his steps will tend. Every life is many days, day after day. We walk through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghosts, giants, old men, young men, wives, widows, brothers-in-love, but always meeting ourselves." (Joyce, Ulysses)
"She's hard on a cocktail dress." (MST3K, "This Island Earth")

#3 Alie

Alie

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD&Dysthymia, PanicD, GAD, chronic migraines.

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

I'm on 5mg of Abilify and I had to go up to 60mg of Adderall a day to have the right effects.
Current Rx: Cymbalta 30mg, clonazepam 1mg prn. Mirena.
Benched: Ativan, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Lexapro, Provigil, Nuvigil, Valium. Abilify, Adderall, Buproprion SR/XL, Pristiq. (Probably more I can't remember.)
Current Dx: Major Depressive Disorder & Dysthymia, hints of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder. Chronic Migraines.
Retired Dx: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

#4 paganpoetry

paganpoetry

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Current Meds:Adderall (just got taken off Lamictal and Lexapro due to side effects.)

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for all the info, this really helps. Too bad my pdoc doesn't think there is any 'interaction' between these meds. I think I will consider reducing the Abilify, since it generally makes me kind of stupid anyway.

#5 paganpoetry

paganpoetry

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

Also: Does it make a difference if you take the Abilify or Lamictal at night rather than in the day?

#6 Alie

Alie

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD&Dysthymia, PanicD, GAD, chronic migraines.

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:23 AM

Also: Does it make a difference if you take the Abilify or Lamictal at night rather than in the day?

I don't have any experience with that, since my Abilify is activating at this dose so I take it in the morning. You might want to try taking your Abilify at night if you think that could help.

Depending on what you were on the Abilify for to begin with, you don't necessarily want to titrate down against doctor's advice just to make a different medication work better... the symptoms coming back from stopping the Abilify could be much worse than the gain you'd get from the Adderall.
Current Rx: Cymbalta 30mg, clonazepam 1mg prn. Mirena.
Benched: Ativan, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Lexapro, Provigil, Nuvigil, Valium. Abilify, Adderall, Buproprion SR/XL, Pristiq. (Probably more I can't remember.)
Current Dx: Major Depressive Disorder & Dysthymia, hints of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder. Chronic Migraines.
Retired Dx: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

#7 paganpoetry

paganpoetry

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

Just thought I would let you guys know that I figured out the issue. After tinkering with my meds (yes, I know that's stupid) and doing tons of research, I realized the problem is that it is generic Adderall made by Core Pharmaceuticals. It's literally like a sugar pill for me. Tons of people online are complaining about the same issue. So, I'm going to have to wait until I see my doctor, get a new script, and pay the full price for the Adderall. For now, I'm just S.O.L. How do these companies get away with this shit? I know there are forums just for this topic, but I wanted to update here.

#8 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Diagnoses:mdd, gad, ocd
  • Current Meds:Pristiq 100mg lamictal 150mg, klonopin 0.5mg, adderall 60mg, seroquel xr 50mg (sleep) abilify 5mg

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

I realized the problem is that it is generic Adderall made by Core Pharmaceuticals. It's literally like a sugar pill for me.

hi stardigan,
Man, when i saw this thread,my first thought was abilify, and second...... wrong generic ...!!

CorePharma has a very poor reputation. I wouldn't touch it. It is the main brand of generic carried by Walgreens where i live.

If you don't want to wait for or pay for brand adderall, the Barr generic is very good. I recommend it. The Barr brand has been purchased recently by Teva, which already has its own version. CVS carries Barr here. Teva is also good, from what i hear... soon they will be one in the same.

Otherwise, how are you doing w/your new med combo?

bengal...

Edited by bengaltiger, 02 June 2010 - 10:42 AM.

The truth has no friend

#9 paganpoetry

paganpoetry

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

Honestly, I've never found anything that touches my depression. Lamictal does well to stabilize me, but then I just stay at a very low mood. I've tried every antidepressant along with ECT. So, in general, I'm doing poorly. I know that Adderall is not an anti-depressant, but it does keep me out of bed and helps me be a bit more productive. I was excited to get the prescription, then extremely disappointed that it did nothing at all. I see my doctor Tuesday and I think I'm going to ask for Adderall XR. I really don't have the money, but I'm nervous to try another generic, and at least I know that the XR will last me most of the day. For now, I have someone who will lend me the money to pay for it.

If I did decide to stick with a generic, would I just ask the pharmacy what generic they use? I've never dealt with this problem before.

#10 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

There is a generic Adderall XR - my insurance won't pay for it, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. Yes, if you want a particular generic, ask the pharmacist to order it for you; many will do this. Alternatively, if you are not wedded to a pharmacy, you can always call around until you find a pharmacy that has the one you want.

I've done Abilify, Lamictal (BTW if you are feeling stupid this is probably the culprit), and Adderall, and I probably do need more Adderall than I once did, but at the correct dosage they work fine (well, I should say the Adderall and Abilify work fine; the Lamictal does not work for me).

How Abilify works depends on your dosage - for depression you probably need a low dose, like 5mg or less. And actually, I take Abilify in the evening and sleep very well. If I take it in the morning I get sleepy, but YMMV. I used to take Lamictal in the morning, and for a while I took a split dose.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts