Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Topamax And Acne

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 want2Bfree

want2Bfree

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:Lamictal ODT, Topamax, Klonopin

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

So since starting Topamax back in November, my acne had been getting progressively worse. It's not horrid or anything like that, but it's pretty moderate, and I can't stand it anymore because I had previously perfect skin. I've tried like 5 or 6 different over the counter products and nothing is working. The only thing that has helped it is Proactiv, but I can't use it, because after a couple of days of use my skin becomes red, irritated, extremely dry and a little flaky. I'm seeing a second dermatologist on Friday, because I wanted a second opinion from the first one I saw. The first one I saw wanted me to use like 4 different products, all at different times of the day. That's just unreasonable, besides all of the high co-pays for each prescription. Anyway, even though I'm going to see a second dermatologist, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or solutions for acne caused by meds.
Current Rx: Lamictal ODT Titration Kit, Topamax 150mg, Klonopin 1mg TID.

Past Rx: Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro, Lamictal, Ativan, Abilify, Provigil, Geodon, Trileptal, Carbatrol (and there are probably some I am missing/forgetting.)

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 crazy at heart

crazy at heart

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression/Anxiety/GAD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro & Clonazepam

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

No i don't have any advice but i would also like advice, but mine is due to Lexapro or Klonopin, not sure which. I don't think i broke out this bad even in Jr High and High School. It's not extreme but it's enough to bother me. I tried that Skin Id that you can order online that you tell them your skin type and they ask various questions and then suppossedly you receive your perfect regimine. Didn't really notice much help maybe a little but not enough to keep receiveing it. I actually notice more of an imporvement since i stopped using it.

So sorry no advice, but i would also like to know what others might have used to help med caused acne!!!
What Goes Up...Must Come Down!!!

#3 want2Bfree

want2Bfree

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

Alright so that's two of us. :mad:

Advice anyone?

Past Rx: Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro, Lamictal, Ativan, Abilify, Provigil, Geodon, Trileptal, Carbatrol (and there are probably some I am missing/forgetting.)

#4 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

Ive had this on lexapro for ages. even though its not on the PI sheet I know its lexapro since it follows the dose.
Lamictal is a well-known culprit for acne so it wouldnt surprise me if topamax is too.
In the past Ive used benzoyl peroxide bar soaps and stuff. Have also used topical clindomycin from a dermatologist. I think Dymphna recommended a facial wash with betadine and some other stuff in it. So a serach for 'blood' under lamictal and youll find it, heh.
If you use any antibiotic youll probably want to use some sort of antiseptic wash too, you dont want the bugs to become resistant to the antibiotic.
Call me crazy but I also got a tanning lamp which I used for a few seconds a day and it seemed to help. My doc would probably flip if I told him I did that. Shhhh.. :mad:
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#5 want2Bfree

want2Bfree

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

Ive had this on lexapro for ages. even though its not on the PI sheet I know its lexapro since it follows the dose.
Lamictal is a well-known culprit for acne so it wouldnt surprise me if topamax is too.
In the past Ive used benzoyl peroxide bar soaps and stuff. Have also used topical clindomycin from a dermatologist. I think Dymphna recommended a facial wash with betadine and some other stuff in it. So a serach for 'blood' under lamictal and youll find it, heh.
If you use any antibiotic youll probably want to use some sort of antiseptic wash too, you dont want the bugs to become resistant to the antibiotic.
Call me crazy but I also got a tanning lamp which I used for a few seconds a day and it seemed to help. My doc would probably flip if I told him I did that. Shhhh.. :mad:

I guess this is a YMMV case, because a few years ago I was on Lexapro and Lamictal at the same time (horrible mental result eventually) but it NEVER caused me to get one bit of acne. I still had perfect skin at that time. But thanks for your tips.

#6 crazy at heart

crazy at heart

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression/Anxiety/GAD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro & Clonazepam

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

Thanks Creepy for the info. I know benzoyl peroxide is pretty common in face washes and didn't seem to help but i'll look into your other suggestions. Yea i agree for some reason tanning or even just the sun seems to clear up acne but i'm pre-disposed to skin cancer so i better go another route.

want2Bfree... how did the 2nd opinion go? Just curious what this dermatologist said!
What Goes Up...Must Come Down!!!

#7 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:20 AM

the betadine thing seems crazy but it works better than alcohol IMO.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#8 want2Bfree

want2Bfree

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Creepy for the info. I know benzoyl peroxide is pretty common in face washes and didn't seem to help but i'll look into your other suggestions. Yea i agree for some reason tanning or even just the sun seems to clear up acne but i'm pre-disposed to skin cancer so i better go another route.

want2Bfree... how did the 2nd opinion go? Just curious what this dermatologist said!

I have a prescription for Retin-A Micro. It's pretty much a leave on gel that I have to put on after I wash my face at night. I won't have it til Monday because my pharmacy had to order it, so I have no idea how it feels on my face or how it's working so far, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it will work. My derm did say that there is a slight limit to what dermatologists can do to help when medication is causing acne. So we'll see what happens with my case. ::sigh::

#9 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

The tetracycline's are very effective against adult acne. They are not anti-microbial against acne but work by reducing redness and inflammation.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#10 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

Blood = 1 part Betadine + 3 parts Cetaphil

Shake well. Wash using a fresh wash cloth or those little disposable face scrubbies from Target (buff puffs get too skanky too fast).

Don't buy generic Cetaphil. It is completely different and doesn't work the same.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#11 want2Bfree

want2Bfree

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Shake well. Wash using a fresh wash cloth or those little disposable face scrubbies from Target (buff puffs get too skanky too fast).

Don't buy generic Cetaphil. It is completely different and doesn't work the same.

Dymphna

Thanks D. I'll definitely try that too. But should I use the Cetaphil facial cleanser or just the Cetaphil general skin cleanser? Because it just so happens that I have both.

#12 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:06 AM

Dymphna

Thanks D. I'll definitely try that too. But should I use the Cetaphil facial cleanser or just the Cetaphil general skin cleanser? Because it just so happens that I have both.

Just the general cleanser. My derm said to wash my whole body with it to just de-bacteria-fy myself. It makes sense if you think about it: your hands touch your face, you touch your arms, your legs, whatever.

d

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#13 want2Bfree

want2Bfree

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:17 AM

Dymphna

Just the general cleanser. My derm said to wash my whole body with it to just de-bacteria-fy myself. It makes sense if you think about it: your hands touch your face, you touch your arms, your legs, whatever.

d

Alrighty, thanks Dymphna. :mad:

#14 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:45 AM

I got bad acne on topamax.

I get acne now due to psych. regimen.

For me, it's Retin A at night, and benzyl peroxide in the morning. Retin a is by scrip, BP OTC. It works well, and not only that, you will have less wrinkles on Retin A, most likely.

You will need to use hats/sunblock as it increases sun sensitivity.

I don't really like taking ABs for acne, I'm on enough pills already....

Try d.'s solution first.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#15 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

I've got cystic acne, topical treatments don't work on it as well as it is deep.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#16 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

I've got cystic acne, topical treatments don't work on it as well as it is deep.

nf

Yes. I've done 3 rounds of Accutane over the years. It is truly the only thing that works for cysts, IMO.

One thing that we all have to recognize is that, when we get "acne" after starting a new med, it isn't really "acne" as we know it - it is a type of drug reaction. That is why we have to be careful with how it is treated. Retinoids can have an interaction with some of the meds (do a search for Retin-A - I think it is a Lamictal interaction), and many of the meds will make us sun sensitive. The best bet is always to have a heart to heart with a decent dermatologist (not PCM) about the WHY of the acne (that it showed up when you started the drug) and where to go from there.

d

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#17 want2Bfree

want2Bfree

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

nf

Yes. I've done 3 rounds of Accutane over the years. It is truly the only thing that works for cysts, IMO.

One thing that we all have to recognize is that, when we get "acne" after starting a new med, it isn't really "acne" as we know it - it is a type of drug reaction. That is why we have to be careful with how it is treated. Retinoids can have an interaction with some of the meds (do a search for Retin-A - I think it is a Lamictal interaction), and many of the meds will make us sun sensitive. The best bet is always to have a heart to heart with a decent dermatologist (not PCM) about the WHY of the acne (that it showed up when you started the drug) and where to go from there.

d

Wait, there is an interaction between Lamictal and Retin-A? Because I am about to start Lamictal. =/

#18 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:35 AM

Wait, there is an interaction between Lamictal and Retin-A? Because I am about to start Lamictal. =/

The first journal article at this post: http://www.crazymeds...h...ost&p=44430 - it's the one in "The Oncologist". Retinol is listed in one of the tables, and refers to an enzyme that deals with Lamictal. So it is kind of convoluted. It isn't like it says "Retin-A is bad combined with Lamictal"; it says this weird enzyme, when combined with Retinol, is bad. And if you happen to know that that enzyme has something to do with Lamictal, then you know that they'll interact.

I comment on it in the following post.

Yeah, we're geeks.

D

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#19 In_Remission_ghst19

In_Remission_ghst19
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

I get the more cystic acne but am pretty sure citalapram and/ lithium are the culprits.
hence, checking out Topamax

#20 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

If I remember properly, I think under the Lamictal and Acne thread it was suggested that taking Zinc supplements helps with the acne. Maybe it would help with acne caused by Topamax too?

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog