Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Does Seroquel Cause Cognative Problems/make You A Bit Stupid?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Sarahpoppy

In_Remission_Sarahpoppy
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hi guys me again. Was just wondering I have been on seroquel for a few years now. I have the usual weight gain and restlesds legs but no other side effects now. One think I have noticed though is that my short term memory is rubbish, also when I went back to work, I was so so slow couldnt work the till etc. I also fro get words in the middle of sentences and I cant add up I forget half way through etc. I use my phone with reminders and alarms etc to remind myself to do things and calculaters etc. Is this possibe from seroquel or is my brain just screaming ive over worked myself, your crazy, ive had enough etc!!! So do you guys think its the seroquel or is it just that my poor old brain is a bit on the slow side after years of varying degrees of mental illness (depression, psychosis, hypomania, anxiety etc) xxxxxxx

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 dustie

dustie

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Diagnoses:major depression; panic disorder
  • Current Meds:wellbutrin xl 450mg; klonopin 3mg; seroquel 25mg; metformin 500mg

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

seroquel definitely caused cognitive changes in me, even at 25mg. memory has suffered noticeably, and forgetting where i was headed mid-sentence has been maybe the biggest pain. oddly, though, these things were much more of a problem the first three years i was on seroquel. a two-year hiatus followed, and i've been back on it since last summer. at first the cognitive issues were just as present as before, but they have subsided a bit this time around. i have no idea why (although sometimes wonder if my addiction to an online and timed vocabulary game has helped). i still feel less sharp than pre-seroquel, but it's now at a very manageable level. fwiw.

dustie
"I'm not okay, you're not okay, and that's okay." (William Sloane Coffin)

Believe that if you want. Now and then I try it on.

#3 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

I guess it depends on what you're taking it for. My cognitive level has improved on Seroquel this time around.
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#4 In_Remission_notagain

In_Remission_notagain
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:34 AM

I know the feeling. Only 25mg here. My head feels like a pancake, I have to tell my wife when I take the pill because I forget it after 1 minute if I took it and start wondering. I have difficulties writing even simple emails, always feels like there is nothing left in my head..

Edited by notagain, 08 May 2010 - 04:37 AM.

#5 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, I would say it dulls me a bit too, if not from the sheer drowsiness factor. BUT it helps me relax about life, so I guess that balances out the dullness by slowing down the racing thoughts and such. A lot of antipsychotics are cognitive bombs.
James

Diagnoses:

1. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD - atypical type)

2. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

3. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)(in partial remission)

4. Cotard's Delusion (removed prior to DSM IV in 1994(in partial remission)  

Medications:

1  Luvox (fluvoxamine) 100 mg BID 

2. Abilify (aripiprazole) 10 mg QAM 

3. Forfivo XL (bupropion) 450 QAM

4. Seroquel (quetiapine) 100 mg QHS

5. Xanax (alprazolam) 2 mg TID

6. Desyrel  (trazodone) 150 mg QHS 

7. Lunesta (eszopiclone) 3 mg QHS

8. Soma (carisoprodol) 350 mg TID

#6 In_Remission_happyfluke

In_Remission_happyfluke
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

i am about to start seroquel at the lowest dose just at bedtime. i have already been on citalopram and bupropion for depression for 2 and a half years. the seroquel is for insomnia that seems to be related to mania sparked by the anti-depressants.

at any rate these cognitive effects i've read about alarm me. from your experience do you know if the sedating / cognitive effects will follow me into the daytime if i am just taking it at bedtime.

#7 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

Definately try it, and remember that many times initial drowsiness will go away in a few weeks. I love Seroquel, and for me most of the sedation did go away. If it doesn't work for you, just try something else a little more activating such as Abilify or possibly Geodon.
James

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#8 In_Remission_TheVenk

In_Remission_TheVenk
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hi glad I found this thread (even if I am a bit late) I had a look at the Seroquel side effects page and I get the lack of motivation, not caring about anything etc. I find the side effects don't alleviate and I get progressively stupider the longer I take it even on very low doses I couldn't find much information on cognitive impairment so this thread is making me feel a bit better. (if you can call it that)

I get to the point where I stop taking the Seroquel my psych has prescribed different anti psychotics over the years and I always have adverse reactions Seroquel is the mildest so far. Oh well, it feels like I'm in between a rock and a hard place at times I guess you get that. :-)

Edited by TheVenk, 29 August 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#9 In_Remission_papercrafting

In_Remission_papercrafting
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

1st post here.
My hubby has been on Seroquel XR 400 for a a few years now and we have recently added Seroquel 200 to help him sleep. he is BiPolar II. and not on a stable med regiem (sp) yet.

His cognative function, short term memory etc has tanked. he could have written the original post word for word. I thought his cognative issues stemmed from his prior use on Temazepam for sleep. he took 60 mg for 2 years and we are just wrapping up a 36 week taper (as per the Ashton manual).

We were hoping there would be improvement now there is no more temazepam.
WE are now on our 3rd psychiatrist and hoping for light at the end of this tunnel. just last weekend he had to ask how to spell Monday.
Tell me this will get better...

Annette

#10 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

Temazepam is no joke. I took 30 mg for about a month and the withdrawal was way worse than with Xanax or Klonopin. I always tell people to avoid real benzo sleep aids. Ambien, Sonata, and Lunesta are way better choices from a dependency/withdrawal viewpoint.

Edited by egodystonic_james, 07 September 2010 - 08:07 PM.

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#11 cheeker101

cheeker101

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Diagnoses:Mostly good :) but Delayed Sleep Phase, mild Anxiety/Depression, Fibromyalgia/CFS

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

It is harder to medicate BPD than depressive without, usually one must accept living with least some side effects. God luck...
Diagnoses (Past only):
MDD, OCD, GAD, SAnD, PTSD, SSRI/drug induced bipolar II.

Med Experience:
AD: Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Elavil, Trazadone
AT: Seroquel, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon
AED/Benzo: Depakote, Nuerontin, Lamictal, Klonapin, Xanax, Ativan
Sleep: Ambien, Rozerem
Other: Provigil, BuSpar, Inderal
I'm a Psyc major too, so watch out or I'll pick your brain!

#12 In_Remission_papercrafting

• Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. The taper from Temazepam has been tolerable with the addition of valium to help him handle the withdrawl symptoms. I'm hoping the cognitive impairment lessens so he is able to drive and be more independant.

We have 300mg wellbutrin in the morning to boost his mood, but I don't think it is effective, however we have recently discovered he is hypothyroid now and are 6 weeks into treating that, too. sowe can't really judge the effectiveness of the wellbutrian until the throid is stable.

he is so frustrated and fed up with this that he wants to give up. I don't know what that would mean? How do you give up somthing you have no control over? That is more rhetorical. I know I don't need to explain how he is feeling to you.
Anyway, thanks for being there/here.

Annette

#13 In_Remission_papercrafting

• Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

Well, it's been 6 weeks with no Benzos, and my husbands memory has backslid. the psych upped his seroquel dose to 600mg to help him sleep, but it has effected his memory instead. He got lost on Monday and couldn't remember his debit card pin on Tuesday.
We've been referred to the alzheimers and related memory disorder clinic at our universtiy hospital. I don't know if they can tell the difference between medication induced problems and organic problems.

Feeling lost, we don't see the phych until dec 21. What do we do?

#14 AnxietyGirl74

AnxietyGirl74

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, panic without agoraphobia, general anxiety, depression
  • Current Meds:Prozac, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Klonopin

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

I haven't had that problem with Seroquel, but I would definitely discuss it with your doctor. I had a similiar problem when I was on Topomax the first time (strangely enough, this time I don't have it, and it almost cost me my job).
"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know, right now, you can't tell, .but wait a while and maybe then you'll see, a different side of me." Matchbox Twenty

#15 VaporW

VaporW

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Diagnoses:DID PTSD MDD Crazy bitch
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, Seroquel XR, Metformin & an HRT cream for controlling those personal summer moments.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

It's our belief that Seroquel is effecting cognitive things and it's not a unicorn in the room when one of us is trying to complete a sentence. BUT, Seroquel does help us focus, significantly more (work wise), has us more relaxed about that, and the non work stuff, well yes, some times, some days.....gosh it bad.

We're in the process of conquering the weight issue. -20+ lbs. <yeah> Lots of work on treadmill, the evil elliptical machine thingy, and watching the food intake. Now that we are finished with the joint replacement including rehab we were able to get more exercise.

Darn, now what was I going to write about something about weight +/- but that darn unicorn is in the room again. LOL

V

Hi guys me again. Was just wondering I have been on seroquel for a few years now. I have the usual weight gain and restlesds legs but no other side effects now. One think I have noticed though is that my short term memory is rubbish, also when I went back to work, I was so so slow couldnt work the till etc. I also fro get words in the middle of sentences and I cant add up I forget half way through etc. I use my phone with reminders and alarms etc to remind myself to do things and calculaters etc. Is this possibe from seroquel or is my brain just screaming ive over worked myself, your crazy, ive had enough etc!!! So do you guys think its the seroquel or is it just that my poor old brain is a bit on the slow side after years of varying degrees of mental illness (depression, psychosis, hypomania, anxiety etc) xxxxxxx

V a p o r

#16 In_Remission_papercrafting

• Guests

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Bit of an update on my husband.

We have now met pdoc #4. #3 moved back to california, I guess he didn't like the canadian health system.
We were seen at the ALZ and related memory discorder clinic. they say his memory is OK, but it is hie attention and concentration that are impaired. We saw their pdoc who suggested decreasing the lamictal as is was likely causing the issues.

So pdoc 4 is decreasing lamictal and switching hubby to abilify instead of seroquel.

He is now on
400 lamictal
250 seroquel
350 welbutrain
25 citralopram
.1 synthrod
and something for his cholestrol (sp)

Wish us luck, he is not driving or cooking anymore.

Edited by papercrafting, 17 August 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#17 Hooker

Hooker

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Diagnoses:Multiple
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Wellbutrin, Paxil

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

My short term memory is shit on 100mg's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog