Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Neurontin (gabapentin) For Anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OverUnderAndThrough

OverUnderAndThrough

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

I have depression and anxiety. After trying a lot of different meds, my pdoc and I finally found a combo that has reduced my depression. I am extremely thankful (the depression had me bedridden---the apathy/anhedonia/hopelessness was very bad)! Risperidone has been a life-saver.

However, the high anxiety and tension remains. This is no doubt compounded by the fact that I suffer from chronic back pain.

Today, my pdoc prescribed me Neurontin (gabapentin) for anxiety: 100mg x 3 per day = 300mg/day.

I didn't know Neurontin (gabapentin) was used to treat anxiety. Has anyone had success with this? What (if anything) can I expect?

Diagnosis: Chronic Pain (back / hips / thighs / buttocks), Anxiety, Depression (in remission), ADHD-I (Predominantly Inattentive Type)

Current Meds (in daily doses): Savella (milnacipran) 50mg AM / 50mg PM; Remeron (mirtazapine) 135mg PM; Klonopin (clonazepam) 1mg AM / 1mg PM (plus up to 6mg/day more PRN); Wellbutrin (bupropion) 150mg; Namenda (memantine) 20mg;  Zanaflex (tizanidine) up to 16mg/day PRN; Nuvigil (armodafinil) occasionally 125mg AM

Past Meds: Lexapro (escitalopram); Cymbalta (duloxetine); Strattera (atomoxetine); Abilify (aripiprazole); Neurontin (gabapentin), Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), Valium (diazepam), Risperdal (risperidone), Adderall (amphetamine salts), Lyrica (pregablin), Opana (oxymorphone), Ultram (tramadol), DXM a.k.a. dextromethorphan 150mg AM / 150mg PM (based off the Brand-name med Nuedexta)

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_marinema05

In_Remission_marinema05
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

I have depression and anxiety. After trying a lot of different meds, my pdoc and I finally found a combo that has reduced my depression. I am extremely thankful (the depression had me bedridden---the apathy/anhedonia/hopelessness was very bad)! Risperidone has been a life-saver.

However, the high anxiety and tension remains. This is no doubt compounded by the fact that I suffer from chronic back pain.

Today, my pdoc prescribed me Neurontin (gabapentin) for anxiety: 100mg x 3 per day = 300mg/day.

I didn't know Neurontin (gabapentin) was used to treat anxiety. Has anyone had success with this? What (if anything) can I expect?

#3 In_Remission_marinema05

In_Remission_marinema05
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

I too was just perscribed Neurontin (Gabapentin) for extreme anxiety. I was taking Klonpin for about 10 years, no longer helping, in fact
made depression worse (Bi-Polar) and Ativan did nothing for my anxiety. I currently take 600 mg of Lithium per day, and recently
began Lamictal a month ago. I will be up to 100 mg starting tomorrow. I wonder if this Neurontin will help. Have read it increases
suicide thoughts? Dont need that. Please, if anyone has had experience with this med, respond. thank you!!

#4 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

It has helped me. These days I take 300 or 600 mg, but I've been up as high as 1200. It's a little sedating at the beginning, but that tends to wear off after a few weeks. It gives me as good relief from anxiety as Xanax or Klonopin.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#5 CER

CER

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Diagnoses:I'm a clown
  • Current Meds:Too many
  • Location:Recently beat-up HP Pavilion (thanks to my 9-yr old son)

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:04 AM

I've seen a lot of people have success with Neurontin treating anxiety symptoms here. I once took it for about a year and a half (primarily for back pain, but looking back I think I also may have had a 'side effect' of lowered anxiety as well). This was a few years ago, however. For a long time I was taking 1,800mg/day over 3 doses. I was poppin' them 300mg capsules like they were candy. :mad: No real side effects either - I didn't even get sleepy during the day.

But I should tell you that neurontin is kind of one of those meds that just 'works' for some people and not for others. If you're taking it for back pain you should know almost right away whether it works once you get up to your target dosage. The anxiety and tension will likely be reduced at least a little bit once that is alleviated.
BPII / ADD

Current meds: Lamotrigine, Topamax, Seroquel, Mirtazapine, Adderall

One day I feel I'm on top of the world
And the next it's falling in on me...

#6 psychogeezer

psychogeezer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

i have been taking gabapentin for a few months now . it is for relief of pain from a crushed ulnar nerve . 1200 mg but plan to go up to 1800 as soon as i get in to see the VA doc .
it somehow feels as though it subtly changes something in the mood department but i can not put a finger on it . it is better than opiates for this constantly fucking hurting nerve pain .
mental problems, looney bins, all manner of chemicals for ever it seems.

#7 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, non-Asperger, a bit of schizo-affective disorder, hypochondria, depression.
  • Current Meds:Check signature.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

I started taking gabapentin for chronic jaw pain, and worked my way up from 300mg to my current 3600mg. It does seem to keep the pain below a certain threshold. Initially, it worked strongly for anxiety as well, but over time this effect seems to have become much milder, and now, if I have breakthrough anxiety, it's pretty bad, and even adding Valium doesn't always help. I'm not sure what to do with it now. I think about lowering the dose and perhaps keep it at a low dose. The difference between 1200mg and 3600mg doesn't seem to be all that big for me.
Current meds: Zoloft (sertraline) 250mg, Neurontin (gabapentin) 2400mg or more, Concerta (methylphenidate XR) 18mg + methylphenidate 5mg as needed, 1 Deanxit (flupentixol 0,5mg + melitracene 10mg).
Have used before: alprazolam, oxazepam, clonazepam, diazepam, buprenorphine, amitriptyline, modafinil, fluoxetine (Prozac), imipramine, trimipramine, lorazepam (Ativan), flurazepam, amisulpride, piribedil, ziprasidone (Geodon), buspirone, tramadol, ondansetron, risperidone, tianeptine, amineptine, nortriptyline, codeine, paroxetine (Paxil/Seroxat).
-Some of the magic syrup was preserved.

#8 OverUnderAndThrough

OverUnderAndThrough

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

Bump

Diagnosis: Chronic Pain (back / hips / thighs / buttocks), Anxiety, Depression (in remission), ADHD-I (Predominantly Inattentive Type)

Current Meds (in daily doses): Savella (milnacipran) 50mg AM / 50mg PM; Remeron (mirtazapine) 135mg PM; Klonopin (clonazepam) 1mg AM / 1mg PM (plus up to 6mg/day more PRN); Wellbutrin (bupropion) 150mg; Namenda (memantine) 20mg;  Zanaflex (tizanidine) up to 16mg/day PRN; Nuvigil (armodafinil) occasionally 125mg AM

Past Meds: Lexapro (escitalopram); Cymbalta (duloxetine); Strattera (atomoxetine); Abilify (aripiprazole); Neurontin (gabapentin), Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), Valium (diazepam), Risperdal (risperidone), Adderall (amphetamine salts), Lyrica (pregablin), Opana (oxymorphone), Ultram (tramadol), DXM a.k.a. dextromethorphan 150mg AM / 150mg PM (based off the Brand-name med Nuedexta)

#9 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:13 PM

I take Neurontin for anxiety. My prescription is for 400 mg four times daily or as needed. These days I just take 2 if I'm feeling majorly anxious (maybe every three days or so), and it works pretty well. From what I understand, Neurontin (gabapentin) becomes GABA in your brain, and basically calms everything down. As was said above, it's one of those drugs that works well for some people and not for others. I'm very thankful I've found something that works because I cannot take any benzos at all and buspirone (BuSpar) didn't work for me. And if 100 mg doesn't help, don't give up, as that is a very low dose.
james

Diagnoses:

1. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD - atypical type)

2. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

3. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)(in partial remission)

4. Cotard's Delusion (removed prior to DSM IV in 1994(in partial remission)  

Medications:

1  Luvox (fluvoxamine) 100 mg BID 

2. Abilify (aripiprazole) 10 mg QAM 

3. Forfivo XL (bupropion) 450 QAM

4. Seroquel (quetiapine) 100 mg QHS

5. Xanax (alprazolam) 2 mg TID

6. Desyrel  (trazodone) 150 mg QHS 

7. Lunesta (eszopiclone) 3 mg QHS

8. Soma (carisoprodol) 350 mg TID

#10 A PirateSaysARRRRR

A PirateSaysARRRRR

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD,Social Phobia, Panic Disorder, "mood issues"
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine 100mg, diazepam 10mg 3x per day, Abilify 10mg

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

I only took it for two weeks and then I switched p-docs and the new one took me off it. At first it seemed to make my moods WEIRD and I had a panic attack on it the second day I was taking it because it made me feel all stoned and dopey and I wasn't too thrilled with that, but I stuck with it anyway, taking .5 klonopin PRN.

I think it worked all right, and after the first week, the tiredness went away, and so did the weird stoned feeling and eventually I couldn't even tell I took anything.

I'd really like to try it again someday, instead of being on klonopin long term, or find something else, obviously.
DX: GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder, some kind of "mood issues" apparently.
RX: Lamictal 150mg, diazepam 10mg 3x per day, Abilify 15mg

Shit that didn't work: Sertrailne, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Gabapentin, Paroxetine, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta, Zolpidem, Bpropion XL, Pristiq, fluoxetine, clonazepam

And I swear I left my sanity someplace in this mess
crumpled between empty beers and packs of ciagarettes

#11 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

Edited by Classically_James, 29 March 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#12 FI83

FI83

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Diagnoses:Panic Disorder, Depression
  • Current Meds:Remeron, Alprazolam, Lofepramine

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

I'm also contemplating the pregabalin (basically gabapentin) route. I want to get off my effexor/xanax combo and I've heard good things about this drug. Also heard it has some anti-depressant effect. Fingers crossed.
Panic disorder, atypical depression

Meds:
Remeron
Lofepramine
Tapering off Xanax

#13 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:36 PM

F183,

Make sure you keep a supply of Effexor and Xanax handy. Gabapentin is NOT going to replace those for a big-time panic or anxiety problem. Even when it's effective, it poops out in a few weeks in my experience. I'll tell you this too: for 4 years I took effexor XR, not realizing that IT was causing my panic attacks and crippling anxiety. Once I got onto a good SSRI for anxiety, like Prozac, the anxiety disappeared.
James

Edited by egodystonic_james, 25 April 2010 - 05:43 PM.

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#14 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

hows your stomach handling prozac and the geodon, and the bupropion? sure wouldnt help my stomach. but anyways. prozac is good for eating disorders.

doesnt q stand for four times daily, it says you're taking both fluoxetine and buproprion 4 times daily?

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

#15 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

q.i.d. is take four times daily, while q.d. is take once daily. I take Prozac and Bupropion both q.a.m., which means once in the morning.
b.i.d. means twice daily, as you most certainly know, and t.i.d. means three times daily. q.p.m. means once in the evening. You can find lists of prescription abbreviations online or get a book out of a medical library.
james

Edited by egodystonic_james, 26 April 2010 - 09:26 AM.

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#16 Brainbeard

Brainbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, non-Asperger, a bit of schizo-affective disorder, hypochondria, depression.
  • Current Meds:Check signature.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

You can find lists of prescription abbreviations online or get a book out of a medical library.
james

Bookmark this: http://www.uwlax.edu...armacology.html
Current meds: Zoloft (sertraline) 250mg, Neurontin (gabapentin) 2400mg or more, Concerta (methylphenidate XR) 18mg + methylphenidate 5mg as needed, 1 Deanxit (flupentixol 0,5mg + melitracene 10mg).
Have used before: alprazolam, oxazepam, clonazepam, diazepam, buprenorphine, amitriptyline, modafinil, fluoxetine (Prozac), imipramine, trimipramine, lorazepam (Ativan), flurazepam, amisulpride, piribedil, ziprasidone (Geodon), buspirone, tramadol, ondansetron, risperidone, tianeptine, amineptine, nortriptyline, codeine, paroxetine (Paxil/Seroxat).
-Some of the magic syrup was preserved.

#17 FI83

FI83

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:44 AM

F183,

Make sure you keep a supply of Effexor and Xanax handy. Gabapentin is NOT going to replace those for a big-time panic or anxiety problem. Even when it's effective, it poops out in a few weeks in my experience. I'll tell you this too: for 4 years I took effexor XR, not realizing that IT was causing my panic attacks and crippling anxiety. Once I got onto a good SSRI for anxiety, like Prozac, the anxiety disappeared.
James

James, much appreciated. I suspect you're right. I'm kicking both Efxr and Xnx and replacing with Mirtazapine and Gabapentin/Pregabalin. I hate effexor for a whole bunch of reasons, but it did help with panic/anx. Sort of a 'sledgehammer' of a med tho - too many f-ing side effects and hell on earth to get off of.

Meds:
Remeron
Lofepramine
Tapering off Xanax

#18 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

That sounds excellent! I was actually worried about you giving up an antidepressant and going to just Neurontin. The serotonin/norepinephrine antidepressants can be a much better long-term solution than heavily relying on Xanax, but you just have to find the right one that works for you. You may have to try even more, but don't give up! And gabapentin/pregabalin as adjunct treatment to an antidepressant can be an excellent choice! Good luck to you.

BTW, I liked mirtazapine (Remeron) a bunch. A very soothing, calming drug. And dirt cheap! Just watch your calories, and you should be fine. Don't let the weight-gain stories put you off, because ultimately you decide what goes in your mouth.

I hope this was encouraging to you.
James

Edited by egodystonic_james, 28 April 2010 - 07:35 PM.

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#19 FI83

FI83

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

That sounds excellent! I was actually worried about you giving up an antideppressant and going to just Neurontin. The serotonin/norepinephrine antidepressants can be a much better long-term solution than heavily relying on Xanax, but you just have to find the right one that works for you. You may have to try even more, but don't give up! And gabapentin/pregabalin as adjunt treatment to an antidepressant can be an excellent choice! Good luck to you.

BTW, I liked mirtazapine (Remeron) a bunch. A very soothing, calming drug. And dirt cheap! Just watch your calories, and you should be fine. Don't let the weight-gain stories put you off, because ultimately you decide what goes in your mouth.

I hope this was encouraging to you.
James

Indeed, thanks for the encouragement, as I do hate these 'transition' periods. I've come to terms with my need for ADs and won't do anything stupid like cutting them out. My depression is definitely on the panic/anxious end of the spectrum (in fact its caused by it) so I figure Remeron is a good choice. As for SE's: So long as my libido is alive, I'm okay - I can't gain weight even when I try.

Think the Rem/Preg combo might be too sedating?

Faysal

Edited by FI83, 28 April 2010 - 10:44 AM.

Meds:
Remeron
Lofepramine
Tapering off Xanax

#20 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

yeah the rem preg might be too sedating, gabapentin even more so, pregabalin is in fact more energizing

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

#21 FI83

FI83

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

Yeah I thought so, but good to hear that Pregabalin is more energising. I want off the benzo (xanax) and thought it sounds like a good replacement. My 'natural' mood is pretty energised, so I'm curious to see how the combo will work. Thanks for the advice

Meds:
Remeron
Lofepramine
Tapering off Xanax

#22 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

Well, definately give this combo a try. I would say, start the mirtazapine at night, and the sedation might knock out your anxiety so much you'll find you won't need the pregablin so much. The thing with mirtazapine is that the lower the dose, the more sedating. 45 mg is considered the least sedating dose, while 7.5-15 or even 30 mg is typically much more sedating. So, if you take a small dose for a few weeks and you don't like the sedation, tell the doc to raise the dose! In fact, the total evening dose can be taken to 60 mg and beyond. Above 30 is where mirtazapine becomes more energizing. It's because lower doses hit the histamine receptors harder, kind of a paradoxical thing. Just trying to give you some friendly advice. Good luck!

Diagnoses:

Medications:

#23 FI83

FI83

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

Thanks a lot, that's very helpful. Interesting drug, Remeron. I'm guessing I'll be at 30-45 mg. I'll see how it affects me and then cross taper from Xanax to pregabalin. Fingers crossed. Cheers
f

Meds:
Remeron
Lofepramine
Tapering off Xanax

#24 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

and ya know, start out with 75 mg lyrica twice a day. that's the usuall starting point. sometimes it's too sedating- to take the early morning dose, so u wait till later and take both i guess.

#25 FI83

FI83

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

That low huh? I've heard its useless below 400-600 daily... am I misinformed?
F

Meds:
Remeron
Lofepramine
Tapering off Xanax

#26 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

uhh i thought the max dose is like 600mg, u dont start out that high. u titrate over a few weeks.

The recommended dose range of Lyrica as an adjunctive treatment of GAD is 150 to 600 mg/day. The recommended starting dose is 75 mg two times a day (150 mg/day) and may be increased to 150 mg two times a day (300 mg/day) within 1 week based on efficacy and tolerability. For patients who do not experience sufficient benefit with 300 mg/day, the dose may
be increased to a maximum of 300 mg two times a day (600 mg/day). Because Lyrica is eliminated primarily by renal excretion, the dose should be adjusted for patients with reduced renal function [creatinine clearance less than 60 mL/min

Read more: http://www.drugs.com...6#ixzz0mbII8fzx
fibromyalgia
The recommended dose of Lyrica for fibromyalgia is 300 to 450 mg/day. Begin dosing at 75 mg two times a day (150 mg/day). The dose may be increased to 150 mg two times a day (300 mg/day) within 1 week based on efficacy and tolerability. Patients who do not experience sufficient benefit with 300 mg/day may be further increased to 225 mg two times a day (450 mg/day). Although Lyrica was also studied at 600 mg/day, there is no evidence that this dose confers additional benefit and this dose was less well tolerated. In view of the dose-dependent adverse reactions, treatment with doses above 450 mg/day is not recommended

Read more: http://www.drugs.com...6#ixzz0mbIxeQx6

Read more: http://www.drugs.com...6#ixzz0mbIRZ5cP

Edited by therapeuticbrigg84, 30 April 2010 - 09:01 AM.

#27 In_Remission_kayyla

In_Remission_kayyla
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

I have experience with neurontin and Lyrica it's cousin.Dont do it -my opinion.Both these my relieve your anxiety but also may rot your teeth cause massive weight gain.make you seriously depressed,dizzy and a multitude of other side effects,,,the worst being you wont be able to remember much.Neurontin was called Morontin for a reason,,makes you stupid.Phizer should be strung up for even allowing these drugs on the market.Okay so this is my opinion.They are pain meds used off label for anxiety -my opinion find something else.

#28 In_Remission_kayyla

In_Remission_kayyla
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

Lyrica more energizing?nope...But good news they use Lyrica (preglabin) to detox from benzos and vice versa meaning to detox lyrica benzos are useful.If you have an antidepressant going lrica might be okay but I would only do it temporarily if you think withdrawl from benzos is bad try lyrica withdrawl.

#29 In_Remission_kayyla

In_Remission_kayyla
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

HELP! FIRST I DONT KNOW HOW TO CREATE A NEW POST HERE.SO I APOLOGIZE for writng in this one.I seriously need some help.
I am beyond depressed and my two present drugs are
lyrica 175 mgs
ativan 5 mgs.
I am trying to get off both and have no drugs,,,but i am seriously depressed.I cry allof the time and i have been on many psyhe drugs this si why I wish to take nothing for awhile and sort it out.
But i dont think i will make it with the depression.I have neuropathy in my feet,hence the lyrica.Have a schdule for quitting the ativan BUT NEED something for depression that will kind help the neuropathic pain as well.
okay so I have them all from-celexa lexapro-cymbalta-pristique-paxil-even effexor.I am so confused as to which oe to take.
I have taken celexa in past and paxil got some relief from depression.Paxil too much of a weight gainer.
When I take the snris like pristiqe I get a Stoned feeling,,not pleasant.but admittedly have only tried them for 3 days.
I am so depressed i am almost suicidal ,,,my shrink says its up to me.WHat???'
anyway IMy past meds ahve been seroquel-lamictal-celexa,paxil,adderall(annoys my nuropathy)tried most ssris and risperdone.wellbutrin tried for a week.
I fyou have any ideas please jump in I am so lost.
I need to take an ad for depression but which one?
Have a closet full of drugs and have not taken them but this depression is getting the best of me.
open to suggestions
thnaks

#30 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

Kayla,

I don't have any specific suggestions but do have a couple of thoughts. Have you given all these different meds enough time to work? Perhaps you have but you mention a couple of times trying meds but for very short periods of time. Whatever you try you need to take for several weeks to give it a fair trial. And, yes, you may have side effects that are difficult to deal with in the beginning but you have to stay on the drugs long enough to give the drugs a chance to work and your body time to adjust. Side effects don't always go away but you have to give it a fair shake before deciding after a few days that you can't take a drug.

Also, if your pdoc isn't making suggestions but leaving it all up to you then maybe you need a new pdoc. Not an easy thing to find and if you're confined to a list because of insurance issues then it may make it all the more difficult but it sounds like you need more help then you're currently getting. The last thing a person in a serious depression needs is to be left on their own to make decisions without expert input from a caring professional.

Have you tried any of these drugs in combination with other drugs or are you always just on one med. It may take a "cocktail" to get what you need.

Others far more knowledgeable than I will probably come along with some concrete suggestions...hope you find what is right for you.

Current Meds: Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg,  Trazodone up to 300mg and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem, Celexa and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Benicar, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol and Nexium. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog