Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy

Depakote Causing Ibs / Gastro Problems / Possible Insomnia

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_aym

In_Remission_aym
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

Hello,

Background:

I was originally diagnosed with major depression + social anxiety disorder around age 18. After trying many, many medication combination trials. I took Lexapro 20mg, Klonopin 0.5mg, and Wellbutrin 300mg XL. This worked wonders for me for years until I had a major manic episode which landed me in a the hospital. During college I was pressed for money, so I began lowering my doses of medication. That along with poor decision making (parting, messing around with mild steroids/hgh)---really screwed up my brain---possibly the hgh even changing my brain chemistry.

My pdoc had never noticed any signs of mania before this major episode. I may have always been a little hypo-manic, but I countered that with working out on a regular basis, good nutrition and learning to live with it. I had mood swings sure, but nothing any normal person under stress wouldn't have.

So this manic episode freaked out my pdoc, not to mention my parents, I was put on heavy anti-psychotics / mood stablizers---which I believe messed me up more than helped me. This manic incident happened about 3-4 years ago, and I have no been the same person since. I've literally tried every drug out there. I could list them, but that would take some time---so ask if you are interested.

I was recently put on Depakote 500mg ER (mood stabilizer). I had tried it in the past, but cannot remember why I stopped taking it (but now I think I know why. Major gastric issues). I was given Wellbutrin 300mg XL to help get me going as it is something that has helped me tremendously in the past. And finally Klonopin 0.5 mg to be taken 1 to 4 times daily for anxiety.

Now, I am feeling better than I've felt in a LONG time, but I simply CANNOT sleep and my stomach is always upset. I eat and the food goes right through me. I'm still experimenting with different OTC stomach meds to help this problem with no avail. I sleep at most 4-5 hrs a night and every other night no sleep at all. Tried supplementing with Melatonin and various OTC sleep meds. Nothing seems to work. I do not have racing thoughts or any major symptoms of mania. I do not know what to do.

Is the Depakoe the problem here? I have taken Klon and Well in the past with no problems? My doctor has been reluctant to prescribe me a sleep med even though I've told him I haven't slept well in over a month. My immune system is weakening and I'm unable to workout like I LOVE to do (b/c I already have gotten sick twice from lack of immune strength). My pdoc did say to call him later this week if I am still not sleeping.

-----

Here is a small list of meds I tried PRIOR to being "diagnosed" with bipolar-II.

Depresion
- Prozac (didn't get much from it)
- Serzone (too long ago for me to remember)
- Celexa then Lexapro (the latter seemed to work wonder while killing my s drive)
- Wellbutrin XL (added in to supplement the Lexapro. seemed to help tremendously)

- many others

Anxiety
- Ativan (very short term use to get me out of a terrible situation)
- Xanax (did not seem to work for me)
- Klono is the only one that has really worked, but I hate having to take it b/c I went off it for 3 years after that manic episode and it was HELL to get off of. The highest dose I was ever prescribed was 6mg a day. I rarely took that much. I'd say average 1mg a day with 0.5 mg on less stressful days.

-----

Post BipolarII

Mood Stablizers / Antipsych

- Zyprexa (really helped me come down from my huge manic episode. however long term use proved to cause lethargy, lack of motivation and extreme weight gain---I also tried Symbiax which is Zyprex/Prozac combo with not any better results)
- Seroquel (made me sleep all day. want to eat all day. overall made ma zombie without any aspiration to better myself)
- Lamictal (seems to help somewhat, but not enough. less sides than the above two, but still got weird ones like fuzzy eye sight. overall not sure if I gave it a fair chance to help me)
- some others I'm forgetting.

* Now notice how post Bipolar dx --- my pdoc droped all antidepressants. I suppose this was to keep me from going manic again, but I beieve my mania was self-triggerd by outside events (steroids/hgh).

I wrote more than I wanted to to but hopefully someone will have some insight. I am happy to be back on Wellbutrin and have mixed feelings about the Klonopin since I know how addicting benzos are from personal experience (although it is better than being to anxious to function in society). The Depakote is the big question mark. I began getting constipation a day or two after taking it. That is now turned into what seems to be IBS. I never have had gastro problems. Not to mention I cannot sleep worth a damn. I think my body was too used to sedating anti-psych meds like Seroquel / Zyprexa to get me to sleep. I thought recently being prescribed Klon would help me sleep, but it hasn't. I can say that I feel better now than I've felt in 3 years (since the major manic episode). I just know I could be even happier, more productive and live my life to the fullest if I could sleep / eat w/o having to go to the bathroom 15 minutes later.

I've been thinking about talking to the pdoc about dropping the Depo for Lamictal (give that another try), but not so sure.

Thanks for reading. Any help/advice appreciated.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 F755

F755

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:lol

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hello,

Background:

I was originally diagnosed with major depression + social anxiety disorder around age 18. After trying many, many medication combination trials. I took Lexapro 20mg, Klonopin 0.5mg, and Wellbutrin 300mg XL. This worked wonders for me for years until I had a major manic episode which landed me in a the hospital. During college I was pressed for money, so I began lowering my doses of medication. That along with poor decision making (parting, messing around with mild steroids/hgh)---really screwed up my brain---possibly the hgh even changing my brain chemistry.

My pdoc had never noticed any signs of mania before this major episode. I may have always been a little hypo-manic, but I countered that with working out on a regular basis, good nutrition and learning to live with it. I had mood swings sure, but nothing any normal person under stress wouldn't have.

So this manic episode freaked out my pdoc, not to mention my parents, I was put on heavy anti-psychotics / mood stablizers---which I believe messed me up more than helped me. This manic incident happened about 3-4 years ago, and I have no been the same person since. I've literally tried every drug out there. I could list them, but that would take some time---so ask if you are interested.

I was recently put on Depakote 500mg ER (mood stabilizer). I had tried it in the past, but cannot remember why I stopped taking it (but now I think I know why. Major gastric issues). I was given Wellbutrin 300mg XL to help get me going as it is something that has helped me tremendously in the past. And finally Klonopin 0.5 mg to be taken 1 to 4 times daily for anxiety.

Now, I am feeling better than I've felt in a LONG time, but I simply CANNOT sleep and my stomach is always upset. I eat and the food goes right through me. I'm still experimenting with different OTC stomach meds to help this problem with no avail. I sleep at most 4-5 hrs a night and every other night no sleep at all. Tried supplementing with Melatonin and various OTC sleep meds. Nothing seems to work. I do not have racing thoughts or any major symptoms of mania. I do not know what to do.

Is the Depakoe the problem here? I have taken Klon and Well in the past with no problems? My doctor has been reluctant to prescribe me a sleep med even though I've told him I haven't slept well in over a month. My immune system is weakening and I'm unable to workout like I LOVE to do (b/c I already have gotten sick twice from lack of immune strength). My pdoc did say to call him later this week if I am still not sleeping.

-----

Here is a small list of meds I tried PRIOR to being "diagnosed" with bipolar-II.

Depresion
- Prozac (didn't get much from it)
- Serzone (too long ago for me to remember)
- Celexa then Lexapro (the latter seemed to work wonder while killing my s drive)
- Wellbutrin XL (added in to supplement the Lexapro. seemed to help tremendously)

- many others

Anxiety
- Ativan (very short term use to get me out of a terrible situation)
- Xanax (did not seem to work for me)
- Klono is the only one that has really worked, but I hate having to take it b/c I went off it for 3 years after that manic episode and it was HELL to get off of. The highest dose I was ever prescribed was 6mg a day. I rarely took that much. I'd say average 1mg a day with 0.5 mg on less stressful days.

-----

Post BipolarII

Mood Stablizers / Antipsych

- Zyprexa (really helped me come down from my huge manic episode. however long term use proved to cause lethargy, lack of motivation and extreme weight gain---I also tried Symbiax which is Zyprex/Prozac combo with not any better results)
- Seroquel (made me sleep all day. want to eat all day. overall made ma zombie without any aspiration to better myself)
- Lamictal (seems to help somewhat, but not enough. less sides than the above two, but still got weird ones like fuzzy eye sight. overall not sure if I gave it a fair chance to help me)
- some others I'm forgetting.

* Now notice how post Bipolar dx --- my pdoc droped all antidepressants. I suppose this was to keep me from going manic again, but I beieve my mania was self-triggerd by outside events (steroids/hgh).

I wrote more than I wanted to to but hopefully someone will have some insight. I am happy to be back on Wellbutrin and have mixed feelings about the Klonopin since I know how addicting benzos are from personal experience (although it is better than being to anxious to function in society). The Depakote is the big question mark. I began getting constipation a day or two after taking it. That is now turned into what seems to be IBS. I never have had gastro problems. Not to mention I cannot sleep worth a damn. I think my body was too used to sedating anti-psych meds like Seroquel / Zyprexa to get me to sleep. I thought recently being prescribed Klon would help me sleep, but it hasn't. I can say that I feel better now than I've felt in 3 years (since the major manic episode). I just know I could be even happier, more productive and live my life to the fullest if I could sleep / eat w/o having to go to the bathroom 15 minutes later.

I've been thinking about talking to the pdoc about dropping the Depo for Lamictal (give that another try), but not so sure.

Thanks for reading. Any help/advice appreciated.

Trying lamictal is a good idea. It's pretty free of gastrointestinal side effects. Unlike depakote which is the complete opposite that way.

#3 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

Depakote is hard on the stomach, yes.

It is also, however, the only mood stabilizer I tolerate.

Depkote is usually sedating rather than activating. But, like you say, removing the AAPs could cause rebound insomnia.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions