Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy

Too Much Weight Loss On Wellbutrin

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_jess1662

In_Remission_jess1662
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

I've been on Wellbutrin XL (300mg) for six months. My question is about the weight loss. I was carrying an extra 20-25 pounds or so when I started taking it (mostly due to Zoloft). That weight came off pretty easily, which I was very happy about. The problem is that I have not been able to stop losing weight. I have lost 45 pounds now, and am considered underweight on the BMI scale. The weight loss has slowed, but I am still losing 1/2 to 1 pound a week. I try to keep my calorie count high enough, but it is very difficult, since the Wellbutrin has really affected my appetite.

My doctor is suggesting switching medicines, but I don't want to do this because the Wellbutrin has been very effective in handling the anxiety/depression without destroying my sex drive, and I don't want to go on something that will ruin my sex drive and make me gain too much weight again like Zoloft.

Has anyone had a similar situation, that could give me suggestions on how to stop the weight loss and safely put some weight back on?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 shiny

shiny

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1 with "features"
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 250mg, Risperdal .5 mg PRN, Trazodone 12.5mg PRN

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

You can combine Zoloft and Wellbutrin. Maybe find a balance that doesn't affect sex drive too much and keeps your weight stable.

I had the same problem switching from Z to W, gained 30 lbs on the first, lost 30 on the second.

You're not having any hypomanic symptoms on the Wellbutrin are you? I completely lose my appetite during hypo/mania.
Stuff I've taken (that I can remember): Trazodone (good), Amitriptyline (3 days asleep), Risperdal (instant relief), Lamictal (great), Wellbutrin (mania + panic attacks), Zoloft (good sometimes), Paxil (good but fat), Prozac (hospitalized 10 days), Ambien (awesome), Pamelor (did nothing)

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

#3 Wanda

Wanda

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar, mixed type
  • Current Meds:keppra, previously on remeron & risperdal

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Can you try lowering the dose? I also lose too much weight on 300 mg Wellbutrin XL. It completely kills my appetite. But 150mg is ok. I was on 150mg for almost a year, and I was able to maintain my weight. The 150mg was still effective for depression.

#4 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

Boost, or other nutrition shakes.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#5 jook

jook

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPI & PD
  • Current Meds:Saphris, Klonopin, Provigil, Lunesta

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Eat high calorie food.

I remember years ago when I lost a lot of weight my GP told me to eat at McDonalds.
I'm not joking.

jook
my brain hates agonists and reuptake-inhibitors

former rx= Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Zoloft, Topamax, Lamictal, Depakote, Lithobid, Trileptal, Gabitril,
Zonegran, Seroquel, Risperdal, Invega, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Ativan, Xanax, Valium, BuSpar, Nuvigil
various combinations with all of the above

#6 Rishka

Rishka

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD if SHTF or life gets FUBAR, otherwise just grumpy and cynical.
  • Current Meds:Back on the Welly. 150mgx2/day...

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I just have no appetite. I probably weighed about 125lbs when I started it, 3 weeks ago, and am now down to 112lbs or so. 13lbs in 3 weeks is a pretty full on change! I'm just on the 150mgs/day (SR), actually it's brand 'Zyban' (that's how you get it in NZ).

Actually, I should note that ALL the side effects that I had were huge this time round (last time round, was on generic bupro sr, living in the states) - anxiety to the point of continual tears, no appetite, the shakes, sweating etc. I've stabilized now, and maybe have just a little insomnia, but the lack of appetite is hanging around as it tends to, but it's seriously NO APPETITE, not just less of one! Eating is now a chore, and I'm a foodie from way back, so its very strange.

I can see why they won't give this stuff to anorexics. Other than shakes and high calorie food... I'd love to know how to get some of my appetite back. I look ridiculous in all my clothes now!

#7 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

Some meds do impact metabolism ridiculously. If you are having continued problems, and don't want to switch meds consult a nutritionist they are the experts and can track your weight and tailor a food plan for you.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#8 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

wb killed my appetite for all of 2 days before it came back with a vengeance. Wish I knew why that was =(
I want to go back on it. I had good motivation on wb.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#9 Atticus

Atticus

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, SAD, PTSD, PMDD, GAD
  • Current Meds:50 seroquel, 40 prozac, 300 Wellbutrin, 900 Gabapentin. Advair, nasonex, Singulair, Xyzlor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

I hope it is ok to revive this thread.

I've been on generic Wellbutrin XL 300 two months, and I was on 150 for a monthish before that. It is working well along side my other meds. And I'm really not willing to give it up.

In that time I've dropped two pant sizes, and lost about 20 pounds. We'll call those the remeron/effexor pounds. I could stand to lose another ten, but I don't want to go much below that. As such, I'm wonder whether anyone has had success in stopping the weight loss.

My pdoc is just learning the ropes, and I've had some trouble convincing her that weight loss is a side effect of wellbutrin...so I though I'd try here for some ideas.

Current: 50 Seroquel, 40 Prozac, 300 Wellbutrin, 900 gabapentin.

Advair 250, nasonex

Former members of the cocktail: Effexor, Trazedone, Lexapro, Buspar (ha), Remeron,

I used a light box for about 12 years. It worked. Now I live some place with winter light, and I still need a light box.

This is imperfect.

#10 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

In that time I've dropped two pant sizes, and lost about 20 pounds. We'll call those the remeron/effexor pounds. I could stand to lose another ten, but I don't want to go much below that. As such, I'm wonder whether anyone has had success in stopping the weight loss.

My pdoc is just learning the ropes, and I've had some trouble convincing her that weight loss is a side effect of wellbutrin...so I though I'd try here for some ideas.

Yes, it's a good idea to revive old threads. So no problem there.

If you express concerns about weight loss then your PDoc is most likely responding to those concerns. So she's being responsible. If the Wellbutrin is suppressing your appetite to the point that you're not eating adequate nutrition or to where your weight loss is noticeable to your PDoc (and she believes it's excessive), that's important too. So I think you have to clarify for her your weight gain/loss history related to the ADs you've taken.

#11 fairymonkey

fairymonkey

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Migraines, Severe Memory Loss
  • Current Meds:Adderall 10mg,Valium 10mg, Klonopin .5 mg ,Melatonin 1.5, Rozeram 8,Atarax 50, Maxalt, Celebrex

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

This may sound rude but I wish I lost that much weight on Wellbutrin. Sigh.
My actual diagnosis: It's still a debate. Psychologists can't seem to diagnose me. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder w/ Depression and anxiety. co-dependency issues.
Past meds: Effexor, Lexapro, Fluoxetine , Bupropion XL ,Klonopin, Ativan, Nortriptyline ,Remeron
Supplements: Melatonin
Diet: Strictly Vegetarian

“Sometimes fate is like a small sand-storm that keeps changing directions. You change direction, but the sand-storm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before death. Why? Because this storm isn't something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you.”
Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

#12 Atticus

Atticus

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, SAD, PTSD, PMDD, GAD
  • Current Meds:50 seroquel, 40 prozac, 300 Wellbutrin, 900 Gabapentin. Advair, nasonex, Singulair, Xyzlor

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Not rude at all, Fairymonkey. I totally get that.

I am pleased to say that after consulting with her mentor, the pdoc has agreed that this can be a side effect. So we're going to wait and see if it tails off. In the mean time, I'm tracking what I'm putting in my mouth each day. As this no longer includes every piece of candy in a ten mile radius...

Current: 50 Seroquel, 40 Prozac, 300 Wellbutrin, 900 gabapentin.

Advair 250, nasonex

Former members of the cocktail: Effexor, Trazedone, Lexapro, Buspar (ha), Remeron,

I used a light box for about 12 years. It worked. Now I live some place with winter light, and I still need a light box.

This is imperfect.

#13 fairymonkey

fairymonkey

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Migraines, Severe Memory Loss
  • Current Meds:Adderall 10mg,Valium 10mg, Klonopin .5 mg ,Melatonin 1.5, Rozeram 8,Atarax 50, Maxalt, Celebrex

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Great thing I didn't get a bad response. But gaining about 40 pounds on Prozac/Remeron has made me extremely angry haha. Do you have insurance to so a nutritionist? You cannot simply eat fatty food all the time.
My actual diagnosis: It's still a debate. Psychologists can't seem to diagnose me. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder w/ Depression and anxiety. co-dependency issues.
Past meds: Effexor, Lexapro, Fluoxetine , Bupropion XL ,Klonopin, Ativan, Nortriptyline ,Remeron
Supplements: Melatonin
Diet: Strictly Vegetarian

“Sometimes fate is like a small sand-storm that keeps changing directions. You change direction, but the sand-storm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before death. Why? Because this storm isn't something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you.”
Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

#14 tamagotchi

tamagotchi

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS
  • Current Meds:Lamictal (failed 17 other meds)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Atticus, of course weight loss can be a side effect but I wouldn't worry about it unless you become seriously underweight. I lost almost 50 lbs and was starting to worry, but then my weight stabilized within the normal BMI range. And then the appetite came back and now I'm fighting weight gain.

#15 feelin_happy

feelin_happy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Situational depression and anxiety
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'm hoping I have similar results as others here on this tread... I was originally on generic Celexa for anxiety and depression, and started putting on weight at an alarming rate. It was close to 1.5 lbs a week -- after having a steady weight for a decade! My gp gradually had me come off of the Celexa and replaced with Wellbutrin. I've been on it for about a month, and am hoping the weight starts to go away soon...

#16 kala878

kala878

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety disorder
  • Current Meds:150mg wellbutrin

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

Haha..weight loss is a nice side effect of Wellbutrin, but the weird head feeling isn't :huh: . My head feels odd and my mood is, quite frankly, #itchy :evil: .  I don't want to gain weight by going back on Celexa, but i just might have to do that. Even my hubby doesn't like how i am on this med :huh:  I've been on wellbutrin for almost a month now. i can tell it has really affected my appitite.  I've been on zoloft, lexapro, celexa..  I lost weight at first with celexa, then when i needed a higher dose, it made me gain weight. I'm a plus size/curvy girl anyways and don't mind a few extra lbs, but 40 is bad.

#17 Elisabet_Fluffy

Elisabet_Fluffy

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 81 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, dysthymia, GAD, ADHD, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Aspergers
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Abilify, Ativan (prn), Adderall, Celexa

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'm on Wellbutrin and I lost a bunch of weight.  I'm about 5'6'' and last week I was weighed at the doctor's office and was 112 lbs.  I'm sure that I'm a bit more now, as that was when I had an upset stomach and even if I tried to eat it wouldn't stay in.  I also KNOW that I have a bunch of poop in my colon that is probably weighing me down, as all of my meds have constipation as a side effect.  Anyway, I used to be in the 140-150 range.  I have a medium/kind of large frame, and probably anything under 130 would be considered underweight for me. 

Still, I kind of want Wellbutrin to make me lose even more weight.  I told my psychiatrist that I tend towards thoughts and sometimes behaviors that make me very susceptible to developing an eating disorder, but she didn't seem to give a shit and perscribed it anyway.  That's probably bad, right?

Anyway, go for high-calorie density foods, so you at least don't have to put forth a lot of time and energy with it.  Are there any sort of junky foods that you like enough to not need to be hungry to eat?  Not absolute crap, but maybe ice cream or dark chocolate or something?  Building muscle could also be good.

Non-crazy meds and supplements:  Gildess FE, loratadine, fish oil, turmeric, Vitamin D, Calcium, pantothenic acid, iron, fiber and probiotic supplements (my meds make me full of shit,) magnesium (traz gives me bruxism,) and sometimes melatonin.

Non-crazy diagnoses:  BRCA 1 mutation, allergies, Raynaud's Syndrome (primary)

#18 crzeepilz

crzeepilz

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Diagnoses:Fawkes in the head
  • Current Meds:Effexor Wellbutrin

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well I am brand new to this forum and man its helpful. I have probably gained about 20llbs on effexor which is why I am switching over to wellbutrin.   I only started it 2 days ago and stopped my effexor cold turkey. Bad idea. My doc sucks and I had no idea how sick I would get. 

I am about 5'6" with a mediumframe and weigh 157.  I am so unhappy with the weight gain but the worst part is ; I am an athlete who trains 5-6 times a week and can't lose a pound. Sadly I am praying wellbutrin helps with this. 

#19 irisstars

irisstars

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Meds:wellbrutin.novalog.lantus.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

Brand new to this forum.... i just started using this drug as well for smoking and i am also on the patch..i do as well don't feel like i need to over eat...Bring IT on the weight loss!!! i was very upset now im not its been a week

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions