Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

How Many Mg. Of Risperdal Do You Take A Day?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 SINOS

SINOS

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:Recurrent MDD most of my life Bipolar NOS 1 1/2 yrs ago GAD 6 mos ago.
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine 100mg Bupropion 150mg Risperdal 1mg

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Started Risperdal yesterday evening (Thurs) as an addition to Buproprion for recurrent depression/bipolar NOS. My insurance wouldn't cover Saphris which my pdoc prescribed first. To start, I am supposed to take .5mg twice a day. The first dose made me dizzy and sedated, so much so that I skipped the one this morning (Fri) since I had to work. I told my pdoc that I would start the morning dose Saturday. I have the next 5 days off so it is a perfect time to start. I noticed today that I didn't get so angry/anxious over things that would usually have bothered me a lot more. I hope it continues and is not just a coincidence. Unfortunately, I had to take some Vivarin to wake myself up this morning at work. It is very rare that I have to do that. I save it for times when I feel like death warmed over. Too much caffeine upsets my stomach. So far my dose of Risperdal tonight hasn't made me feel as dizzy or tired (yet) as it did yesterday. At the same time I'm lowering my dose of Bupropion from 400mg to 150mg and Lamotrigine (which I am starting to discontinue completely due to walking balance issues and lack of effectiveness psych-wise) from 150mg to 100mg. Wish me luck.
Failed meds: monotherapy - Prozac, Celexa, Sinequan, Klonopin, Buspirone add-ons Topamax, Abilify

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#32 herstory

herstory

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression/Chemical Brain Imbalance
  • Current Meds:Renuvie, Risperdal/Risperidone

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

Im taking 2 mg at night , and it sedates me. i have a good sleep. before i take invega, seroquel, zyprexa, faverine, kemadrine. but not im fine with the 2 mg. it works for me . i hope im going to be ok with this, no more changes of meds.

#33 apetasticaL

apetasticaL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar NOS
  • Current Meds:abilify, lamictal, topamax

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

i was on 2mg per day for a short amount of time. it broke through my psychosis but made me very sedated. it was basically a stop-gap medicine for when i was hospitalized in a manic psychosis. i was switched to geodon shortly afterwards.
smiling despair. no solution, but constantly exercising an authority over myself that i know is useless. the essential thing is not to lose oneself, and not to lose that part of oneself that lies sleeping in the world. -albert camus

axis I dx: bipolar NOS
rx: lamotrigine 200, aripiprazole 15, topiramate 100

past rx: lithium carbonate, divalproex sodium, gabapentin, levetiracetam, paroxetine, fluoxetine, doxepin, trazodone, quetiapine, paliperidone, ziprasidone, risperidone, olanzapine, trifluoperazine, methylphenidate, phenobarbital, chlordiazepoxide, diazepam, clonazepam, lorazepam, temazepam, buspirone, hydroxyzine, zolpidem, ramelteon

#34 Revan

Revan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Diagnoses:persistant depressive disorder(dysthymia)/GAD/OCD / insomnia
  • Current Meds:doxepin/clonazepam/buspirone

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

I'm back on it again. I'm on 1.5mg (0.5mg in the morning and 1mg at night). I have to space the dose out for it to work well. If I don't take a morning dose I end up feeling not good that day. The pdoc said I can go up to 2mg if I feel the need to but I really don't think I need that much right now.

#35 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Despite it's being generic and thus now cheap, make no mistake about it: risperidone is a drug that has helped millions. The worst sid-effect seems to be weight gain, but I believe that is somewhat dose-dependent. It is basically a great all-around AAP, and now available to many more people because it's generic. Also Risperdal Consta, the two week injection, is now a generic and that really helps those who need an injection antipsychotic and an alternative to Haldol decoanate. And I fail to see how Invega is much of an improvement, besides less drug interactions and being once-a-day. It is incredibly more expensive that risperidone, and most people do just as well taking risperidone once daily. I used to take all of mine at night/bedtime.

Also, remember that most of the first generation AAP's are available as generics now: Zyprexa (olanzapine), Seroquel (immediate-release only quetiapine), and Geodon (ziprasidone). I use generic ziprasidone and find it quite effective. None of those are as cheap as risperidone yet (it usually takes at least a year for a generic drug's price to significantly drop) BUT many more people will have better access to them as their insurance formularies will cover a generic drug.

James

Edited by egodystonic_james, 14 September 2012 - 06:16 PM.

Diagnoses:

1. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD - atypical type)

2. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

3. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)(in partial remission)

4. Cotard's Delusion (removed prior to DSM IV in 1994(in partial remission)  

Medications:

1. Zoloft (sertraline) 100 mg QAM

2. Abilify (aripirazole) 10 mg QAM 

3. Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) 300 mg QAM

4. Lunesta (eszopiclone) 3 mg QHS

5. Soma (carisoprodol) 350 mg TID

6. Xanax (alprazolam) 2 mg TID

#36 Maurits

Maurits

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Paranoid Schizophrenia
  • Current Meds:Risperidone, Seroquel, Efexor, Lorazepam and Oxazepam

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

6 mg a day for paranoid schizophrenia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog