Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Td And Possible Treatments Other Than Switching Or Stopping

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Diagnoses: Schizoaffective d/o, bipolar type
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

Well, I've been on Trilafon 6-7 months and Geodon for over 1 3/4 years. The dose was recently increased on the Trilafon. About a week or two later, I noticed weird mouth movements while I was concentrating on something (most likely to show up while concentrating for some reason). I freaked out because they looked like my pdoc's redention of one type of TD mouth movement. Also, I noticed I couldn't keep a themometer in my mouth because my mouth muscles would tremor.

I saw pdoc last week and we discussed this issue. She did the AIMS and the mouth movement while concentrating did show up mildly. I didn't even notice it (scary moment). The mouth tremor is refered to as rabbit mouth, or something like that. I never heard of that, but it was named so because it looks like a rabbit. I thought it was fitting somehow.

Going down on the medicine is not an option because it is the only thing that is helping me work in a "normal" way. We decided to "watch it" for awhile.

I don't want TD. That would totally suck!!! Outcomes for people with TD are poor in general. Pdoc said something about Vitamin E used to be used for TD, but she thought it recently fell out of favor. She said that there isn't a lot of current research into TD because of the AAP's. I was wondering if anyone has heard or knows of anything that can help TD aside from switching meds or reducing the dose. (Reducing the dose could revel a worse condition). Thank you for your suggestions and/or time.
Current Meds: Lithium Carbonate 900mg, Geodon 85-90mg, Artane 2.75mg, Klonopin 1-1.125mg, Adderral 20mg, Provigil 100mg, Prolixin .33mg.
Dosages are the daily total. Most meds are taken in smaller doses throughout the day.

Past meds: I've tried almost everything except MAOI's, half of the TCA's, Clozaril, Remeron and Serazone.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 jook

jook

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPI & PD
  • Current Meds:Saphris, Klonopin, Provigil, Lunesta

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

TD can become irreversible.
With that in mind, I would find a substitute med to cover your bases.
Drop Trilafon or lower the Geodon.

Vitamin E and benzodiazepines are the only thing I could find to treat TD symptoms.
This depends on if your symptoms occur during periods of stress.
Being they occur during periods of concentration, I would say you may qualify under these conditions.

Do you still take Klonopin?

jook
my brain hates agonists and reuptake-inhibitors

former rx= Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Zoloft, Topamax, Lamictal, Depakote, Lithobid, Trileptal, Gabitril,
Zonegran, Seroquel, Risperdal, Invega, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Ativan, Xanax, Valium, BuSpar, Nuvigil
various combinations with all of the above

#3 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

I take 1mg of Klopoin throughout the day. Pdoc did mention something about benzos. I couldn't imagine taking more though.

Dropping either dose would be rebound psychosis and another psychotic relapse. The most recent one almost lead to loss of job. Very scary.

Maybe there isn't anything to do. I considered doing a 6 month minibreak to have my motor receptors reset back to normal. Then starting the AP's again. Though this would be risky as mentioned above.
Current Meds: Lithium Carbonate 900mg, Geodon 85-90mg, Artane 2.75mg, Klonopin 1-1.125mg, Adderral 20mg, Provigil 100mg, Prolixin .33mg.
Dosages are the daily total. Most meds are taken in smaller doses throughout the day.

Past meds: I've tried almost everything except MAOI's, half of the TCA's, Clozaril, Remeron and Serazone.

#4 jook

jook

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

I take 1mg of Klopoin throughout the day. Pdoc did mention something about benzos. I couldn't imagine taking more though.

You may want to try to take 0.5 BID instead of splitting into 0.25 (or smaller) multi-doses.
Any type of side-effect (sedation?) will wear off rather quickly.

jook

Edited by jook, 31 October 2009 - 10:06 AM.

former rx= Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Zoloft, Topamax, Lamictal, Depakote, Lithobid, Trileptal, Gabitril,
Zonegran, Seroquel, Risperdal, Invega, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon, Ativan, Xanax, Valium, BuSpar, Nuvigil

#5 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

You may want to try to take 0.5 BID instead of splitting into 0.25 (or smaller) multi-doses.
Any type of side-effect (sedation?) will wear off rather quickly.

jook

yah def benzos is a good route to take with TD, because the shit they give you, cogentin and artane sometimes dont really work well. cogentin made mine worse. benadryl also makes it worse. artane works, but it has other weird side effects. like it kind of is too euphoric, and makes your body too loose at times if that makes any sense--?? anything too euphoric sometimes is a drawback ,cuz it can aggravate other psychiatric issues, like psychosis, or mania etc.

the only permanent solution for TD, that almost is guaranteed to work is taking clozaril for a while. but u may hafta stay on it for it to work. plus it has pain in the ass side effects-weight gain, blood tests. that was something i once considered, cuz many people at the psychiatric hospital believe in it, because of its effectiveness with TD and psychosis(schizophrenia)

i did hear of vitamin E but that was recently disproved of its effectiveness.

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

#6 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

Why would taking benzo's in larger doses make a difference? Is it a difference in appearance or the disease process?

The largest dose of klonopin I take is at night, .375mg. It knocks me out everyday. I can't imagine taking larger doses of it or that it would wear off.

#7 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

it doesnt mask them or the appearance, it definitely helps in the disease process i would think. for me my TD gets worse when stressed or something. or if i'm akathisiac.

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

#8 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

That sounds promising! Go Klonopin! Have you ever heard if weight is a factor in TD?

#9 jook

jook

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

That sounds promising! Go Klonopin! Have you ever heard if weight is a factor in TD?

Weight gain is a hormone crapout.
The hippocampus, pituitary & adrenal systems work together for better or for worse.
Here again, google the 'HPA axis' for more detail.

jook

#10 bunnyrabbit

bunnyrabbit

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:58 AM

Thank you for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts