Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

T. D. & E. P. S.: Atypical vs. Older antipsychotics

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

and is it even possible of getting TD from an AAP. thank you for ur responses.

Yes it is possible. It is mentioned in the PI's of the AAP's. This question comes up often.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#32 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD w/Panic and Major Depression Symptoms
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg/24hr, .25mg Xanax prn

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

It is possible. It is extremely rare. For example, last time I looked into Abilify, there were 11 documented cases of TD in the 8 years it has been on the market.

With AAPs, the behavior is relatively consistent: TD is extremely rare, in the neighborhood of 1 per million patient-years. It is extremely slow in onset, and it reverses fully when you stop the drug in question.

#33 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Where does Saphris stand on the atypical spectrum in terms of it's mode of action and is it true it is more likely to cause EPS and TD than other atypicals?

I'll be deciding sometime next week about staying on Saphris. I'll be having bloodwork this week to check glucose and if it's higher than the last two times it's gone up than I'll likely stop Saphris. If it's not higher, I'll still consider stopping Saphris because it overheats me but also because I'm terrified of TD. It wouldn't be so scary except for the part where it can happen after you stop the drug...or so I believe that to be true. So, I could have it now and not know? I'm on a low dose of Saphris and have only been on since last August. Lowest recommended dose for bipolar is 5mg 2x a day and I only take once a day. When I look at the figures in the PI sheet...seems high to me but I don't much understand these things...thoughts on risk of TD?

Current Meds: Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg,  Trazodone up to 300mg and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem, Celexa and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Benicar, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol and Nexium. 

#34 OnceARunner

OnceARunner

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Prozac 30 mg Clomipramine 150 mg, Risperadal .75mg Ativan 1 mg PRN Metformin 1000mg

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

EPS is far from universal with the older agents. Certainly more common than with the atypicals,

Risperdal / Invega are more likely to cause EPS & TD than some of the milder first-generation antipsychotics (e.g. Taxalin(perazine)).

And I like Risperdal.

My pdoc has suggested going to Risperdal as an alternative to Abilify due to sleep issues.
I asked him about the TD risk and he said the literature doesn't show that it is worse than older APs. Do you have any links I can point him to?

#35 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

I started Risperdal less than a month ago and I'm already getting thumb jerks and finger twitches.  I took 4 mgs for a week and now I take 2 mgs at night.  I tried skipping a night and felt the terribles encroaching again the next day.  This happened with Geodon, too.  Funny, I've taken up to 4 mgs a day of Haldol and didn't have anything like this...

Maybe I'll try Abilify again. 

Current Meds:  Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#36 Rockie

Rockie

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, panic, agoraphobia, bipolar features, IBS
  • Current Meds:Valium 5 mg QD and 5mg PRN, Calcium and Magnesium Supplements

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

4mgs of Risperdal is still a pretty healthy dosage and puts you into the higher risk range in terms of D2 occupancy for developing EPS.

While I can see why skipping a day of Geodon (depending on the dosage) would cause a return of the terribles since its dissociation constant is higher than that of dopamine, but with Risperdal it's not so clear cut. Risperdal does have a lower dissociation constant than dopamine (though not as low as Haldol). So in that respect, skipping a day shouldn't have had such a dramatic effect.

My only guesses are that 1) since you were probably getting more D2 occupancy on 4mg of Haldol than on 4mg of Risperdal and with Haldol's lower dissociation constant, perhaps skipping a day of Risperdal was enough to drop you below your therapeutic threshold, or 2) your symptoms/condition are worse now than they were when you were on Haldol.

In terms of more/sooner EPS on Risperdal vs. Haldol, were you taking 4mgs of Haldol daily? If you were skipping days, that could have made a significant difference in terms of risk of EPS. 

Edit: Risperdal and Geodon also hit serotonin receptors pretty hard compared to Haldol. So I suppose the return of the terribles after skipping a day could also be due to loss of antidepressant effect.

Edited by Rockie, 10 March 2013 - 02:29 PM.

Previous Meds
AD's: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox, Celexa, Cymbalta, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Emsam, Imipramine, Nortriptyline,Trazodone, Viibryd, Nefazadone
AED's: Topomax, Trileptal, Klonopin, Ativan, Lamictal, Oxazepam, Triazolam
AP/AAP's: Seroquel
Other: Buspar, Ambien, Nadolol, Propranolol, Pramipexole, Hydroxyzine

"The pink ones keep you from screaming".
- Grandpa Simpson

#37 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

4mgs of Risperdal is still a pretty healthy dosage and puts you into the higher risk range in terms of D2 occupancy for developing EPS.

While I can see why skipping a day of Geodon (depending on the dosage) would cause a return of the terribles since its dissociation constant is higher than that of dopamine, but with Risperdal it's not so clear cut. Risperdal does have a lower dissociation constant than dopamine (though not as low as Haldol). So in that respect, skipping a day shouldn't have had such a dramatic effect.

My only guesses are that 1) since you were probably getting more D2 occupancy on 4mg of Haldol than on 4mg of Risperdal and with Haldol's lower dissociation constant, perhaps skipping a day of Risperdal was enough to drop you below your therapeutic threshold, or 2) your symptoms/condition are worse now than they were when you were on Haldol.

In terms of more/sooner EPS on Risperdal vs. Haldol, were you taking 4mgs of Haldol daily? If you were skipping days, that could have made a significant difference in terms of risk of EPS. 

Edit: Risperdal and Geodon also hit serotonin receptors pretty hard compared to Haldol. So I suppose the return of the terribles after skipping a day could also be due to loss of antidepressant effect.

I only took 4 mgs of Haldol for a very short period of time.  It made me rapid cycle.  I can get away with 1 mg for anxiety and sleep but any more than that is bad news.  I'm now taking 2 mgs of Risperdal.  I took 4 mgs the first week.  And yes, I'm in a much worse place right now than when I was taking Haldol.  

Former meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#38 Cthebird

Cthebird

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar type I, migraines
  • Current Meds:Lithium ER, Tegretol XR, Lamotrigine, Thiothixene, Ziprazidone, Seroquel XR, Clonazepam

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Are there statistics to back up some of the original assertions made far above?  All I have access to to comment on this thread is my personal experience, which is not necessarily others' experience.  Nevertheless, here is my experience:

Akathysia - Zyprexa and Abilify (tried Cogentin with one but didn't help me and went off the drug anyway)

Dystonia - Navane (very very brief then went away).  My pdoc will be lowering this first generation AP in a couple of weeks.

The only other thing I question is if one of the APs caused me to grind my teeth/shift my jaw.  I asked both pdoc and tdoc about it and they thought of it as more an anxious habit.  Not sure.  Anyway, that was mostly on either Invega or Geodon (I don't remember which).  Over time it went away completely.

Current psych meds:  Lithium ER (weaning off due to high creatinine levels), Tegretol XR (1400 mg), Lamictal (100 mg), Geodon (160 mg), Navane (5 mg), Seroquel XR (100 mg), Klonopin (.5 mg).

"As needed meds:  Ativan (1 mgs - up to 3 per day) and Seroquel Ir (25 - 50 mg)

Other meds:  Levothyroxine (150 mcg), Propranolol (40 mg)

Old meds from the past:  Buspar, Prozac (maybe 1 week), Paxil (maybe 3 weeks), Effexor (maybe 3 weeks), Lexapro (2 months), Zyprexa,  Risperdal, Naltrexone, Neurontin, Cymbalta (maybe 2 weeks), Campral, Trileptal, Pristiq (maybe 2 weeks),  Abilify, Vistaril, Cogentin,Seroquel ir, Provigil (total of 4 weeks - Ya hoo!!), Depakote, Invega, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XR, Perphanazine.

Yum yum!

#39 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Are there statistics to back up some of the original assertions made far above?  All I have access to to comment on this thread is my personal experience, which is not necessarily others' experience.  Nevertheless, here is my experience:

Akathysia - Zyprexa and Abilify (tried Cogentin with one but didn't help me and went off the drug anyway)

Dystonia - Navane (very very brief then went away).  My pdoc will be lowering this first generation AP in a couple of weeks.

The only other thing I question is if one of the APs caused me to grind my teeth/shift my jaw.  I asked both pdoc and tdoc about it and they thought of it as more an anxious habit.  Not sure.  Anyway, that was mostly on either Invega or Geodon (I don't remember which).  Over time it went away completely.

Abilify caused me to grind my teeth all the time, constantly.  Cogentin helped.

#40 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

I started Risperdal less than a month ago and I'm already getting thumb jerks and finger twitches.  I took 4 mgs for a week and now I take 2 mgs at night.  I tried skipping a night and felt the terribles encroaching again the next day.  This happened with Geodon, too.  Funny, I've taken up to 4 mgs a day of Haldol and didn't have anything like this...

Maybe I'll try Abilify again. 

Pdoc has decided to add .5 mg cogentin at night to see if it helps EPS from risperdal.  She doesn't want to drop it, and neither do I, because it has been so helpful right now and I feel to fragile to even try to replace it with something else.  Smartest move I feel she has ever made.  

#41 Rocker21

Rocker21

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Diagnoses:Doctors insist on Schizo.
  • Current Meds:Risperidone 3mg twice a day

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

Back when doctors believed I had schizophrenia, I had issues with quetiapine, where my right hand was hanging stiffly in mid-air all the time and my jaw was hanging with my tongue rolling out (My family not knowing that the drugs were causing these kept telling me to shut my mouth. Shut my mouth, ha, how could I? It would just open back up again without my even knowing. Could have slapped them.) 

so I was mostly put on 3mg Risperidone in a combo with Trihexyphenidyl. It had great antidepressant effect and that is what helped me. But I started having spasms in the front of the neck for a year. I was tired of living with all the shit it gave me, severely constipated all the time (more like obstipated) as if my muscles didn't work no matter how much I tried to force it out for an hour, had severe acid every time I ate something, stomach was bloated with gas and weight gain caused everything to swell up (Okay, I'm a guy so don't mind the weight gain so much, but the other problems I can't live with), and had headaches all the time. So I quit cold turkey no matter if the depression came back. But the spasms worsened. I could also feel the muscles in the back of my neck moving constantly also. Then my left shoulder started jerking up all the time, and with it my head started swinging to the right continuously. And that with the front neck spasms happening also in between. I somehow managed to live with that for some time. Pretty horrible stuff. I got back on the drug for another year (and had to live with the problems again because the doctors, for reasons of Hitler-worship, refused to change my treatment plans.), but the front spasms persisted and though the head swinging lessened, I still had discomfort all the time and often felt my back neck muscles moving. I tapered off and continued THP for a while. 

I'm not sure what the exact medical terminologies for the problems I've had are, but the head swinging and muscle moving I think is a form of spasmodic torticollis, right? And I believe what I had, the spasms and all since such a long time, is tardive dystonia. 

But no, the problems didn't reverse fully on stopping the drug. But some problems remain, occasional muscle spasms and discomfort and the urge to stretch/strain my neck in various directions all the time, especially when I need to move my head in cases like when I'm walking outside. So anyone taking these drugs, beware. You might need to take anti-parkinsonians and what will you do if even that doesn't help? And it can't be very uncommon, either. I mean, it happened to ME, of all persons! I would just go for the lowest-risk drugs. 

Risperidone, quetiapine, no thank you! Anyway, since my diagnosis has now changed, I've just told my doctors I'm not taking such drugs. Just don't touch my dopamine. Bring on those antidepressants.

I have issues with irritability and rage along with severe depression. I experience a severe and complete personality change without meds where I call people using swear words and am full of anger. I have episodes of agitation involving shattering, smashing, breaking objects and screaming at people. The fits are kind of severe.

#42 Cthebird

Cthebird

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar type I, migraines
  • Current Meds:Lithium ER, Tegretol XR, Lamotrigine, Thiothixene, Ziprazidone, Seroquel XR, Clonazepam

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

I experienced akathisia from Zyprexa and Abilify.  I had to have another medication added just to tolerate it.  I also had some dystonia (lip puckering) from 10 mg of Navane.  Luckily it stopped and my pdoc and I decided to continue with it.  My Navane has since been lowered to 5 mg.

I have been on a number of antipsychotics.  The following did NOT give me TD or EPS:  Risperdal, Invega, Geodon, Seroquel (and XR), Trilafon (though I was only on it 4 weeks)

Current psych meds:  Lithium ER (weaning off due to high creatinine levels), Tegretol XR (1400 mg), Lamictal (100 mg), Geodon (160 mg), Navane (5 mg), Seroquel XR (100 mg), Klonopin (.5 mg).

"As needed meds:  Ativan (1 mgs - up to 3 per day) and Seroquel Ir (25 - 50 mg)

Other meds:  Levothyroxine (150 mcg), Propranolol (40 mg)

Old meds from the past:  Buspar, Prozac (maybe 1 week), Paxil (maybe 3 weeks), Effexor (maybe 3 weeks), Lexapro (2 months), Zyprexa,  Risperdal, Naltrexone, Neurontin, Cymbalta (maybe 2 weeks), Campral, Trileptal, Pristiq (maybe 2 weeks),  Abilify, Vistaril, Cogentin,Seroquel ir, Provigil (total of 4 weeks - Ya hoo!!), Depakote, Invega, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XR, Perphanazine.

Yum yum!

#43 Franglish9265

Franglish9265

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Diagnoses:M.D.D. (Recurring, TRD), (un-dx'd Aspergers), G.A.D.,Social AD, Adult ADHD-pi
  • Current Meds:Sertraline 100mg and 20 mg Adderall (Corepharma) BID

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

Only ever took low doses of Seroquel, so mostly just sedating, balance issures. But Abilify and Latuda gave me RLS like symptoms and muscle tightness, most likely TD, after One or two doses of each. for Latuda, I took a low dose, not sure if I was supposed to or not but split in half, because of my history. I don't know if I had similar TD-esque side effects from Seroquel, because of the sedation. So, it looks like AAPs and APs don't play well with my brain chemistry.

PRNs 

Albuterol Inhaler, Diazepam 5mg (10mg seems like it might be a better dose, will ask pdoc).

Supplements

Multi-Vitamin, 1-2 Capsules Fish Oil Concentrate (1400mg, 900mg Omega-3 fatty acids, 647mg EPA, and 253mg DHA) and Melatonin (5mg)

Past Meds:

Prozac, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Abilify, Seroquel, Latuda, Zoloft, Klonopin, Valium, Alprazolam, Adderall XR, Vyvanse and Effexor.

#44 PlatypusBear

PlatypusBear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

Only ever took low doses of Seroquel, so mostly just sedating, balance issures. But Abilify and Latuda gave me RLS like symptoms and muscle tightness, most likely TD, after One or two doses of each. for Latuda, I took a low dose, not sure if I was supposed to or not but split in half, because of my history. I don't know if I had similar TD-esque side effects from Seroquel, because of the sedation. So, it looks like AAPs and APs don't play well with my brain chemistry.

That's what's known as an acute dystonic reaction or maybe drug-induced Parkinsonism, not TD.  The "tardive" part means that it comes on later.  See this page http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3004713/ for a review of different movement problems from antipsychotics.

Current meds: Lamotrigine 225 mg, buspirone 37.5 mg, cyclobenzaprine 5 mg, zolpidem 5-10 mg PRN, methocarbamol 500 mg PRN, fish oil (1200 mg EPA and 600 mg DHA), low dose methylphenidate PRN, low dose Saphris PRN

Past meds: Bupropion XL 150 mg, fluoxetine 40 mg, birth control pills, n-acetlycysteine 1000 mg b.i.d.

#45 Franglish9265

Franglish9265

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Diagnoses:M.D.D. (Recurring, TRD), (un-dx'd Aspergers), G.A.D.,Social AD, Adult ADHD-pi

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

yes, thank you for informing me about that. Abilify definitely gave  me Acute dystonic reaction, Latuda gave me less of that and more like the drug induced parkinsonism, had trouble talking and keeping my mouth from twitching. I know also that it gave me the Akathisia, can't remember about Abilify or Seroquel.

Seroquel did give me an ataxia like being really drunk and hungover in the mornings, until 5, then just sedation. it really didn't help at all for the depression or anxiety at the time as it was when the school year was ending.

PRNs 

Albuterol Inhaler, Diazepam 5mg (10mg seems like it might be a better dose, will ask pdoc).

Supplements

Multi-Vitamin, 1-2 Capsules Fish Oil Concentrate (1400mg, 900mg Omega-3 fatty acids, 647mg EPA, and 253mg DHA) and Melatonin (5mg)

Past Meds:

Prozac, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Abilify, Seroquel, Latuda, Zoloft, Klonopin, Valium, Alprazolam, Adderall XR, Vyvanse and Effexor.

#46 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

platypus,

I don't know why that article (and it's certainly a trustworthy site) says so definitively that TD starts about after six months of exposure to the AP when I can start quite quickly after starting the drug. Even the PI sheets of the AAP's indicate that it can start at any time though length of exposure and dose seems to effect the likelihood of developing it. I've read that the Tardive also relates to the fact that the symptoms can start after stopping the AP/AAP. This is from the Saphris PI sheet:

5.4 Tardive Dyskinesia

The risk of developing TD and the likelihood that it
will become irreversible are believed to increase
as the duration of treatment and the total cumulative dose of antipsychotic drugs administered to the
patient increase. However, the syndrome can devel
op, although much less commonly, after relatively

brief treatment periods at low doses

and,

Antipsychotic
treatment, itself, however,
may suppress (or partially suppress) the signs and
symptoms of the syndrome and thereby may possibly
mask the underlying process. The effect that symp

tomatic suppression has has upon the long-term course of

the syndrome is unknown.{/quote]

The fact that AP/AAP's can mask the symptoms is also related to the word Tardive because of the fact that it can have a "late" appearance after discontinuation of anti-psychotic drugs. as it can appear after the ending of therapy with an anti-psychotic.

I'm not disagreeing, by the way, with your assertion that Franglish's symptoms are not consistent with TD symptoms.

Edited by VAL, 09 November 2013 - 02:46 PM.

Current Meds: Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg,  Trazodone up to 300mg and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem, Celexa and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Benicar, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol and Nexium. 

#47 PlatypusBear

PlatypusBear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

They're probably leaving some unlucky bastards out on the six months thing, but anything that starts the first day or two is not TD, and will stop when you stop the drug.  Acute dystonia and Parkinsonism are also far more common, and fit Franglish's symptoms better (which is why I said what I did).  

I gotta say, the idea of a side effect showing up after stopping a drug really freaks me out, although I'm guessing it's pretty rare for it to happen if you weren't having any movement problems while on the drug.  An interesting thing is that a certain percent of elderly people and never-medicated (drug naive) schizophrenics apparently have TD-like movements.  Then again, certain antiemetics (like metaclopramide) are dopaminergic and can cause TD, so maybe the studies they were citing forgot to look at that.

Current meds: Lamotrigine 225 mg, buspirone 37.5 mg, cyclobenzaprine 5 mg, zolpidem 5-10 mg PRN, methocarbamol 500 mg PRN, fish oil (1200 mg EPA and 600 mg DHA), low dose methylphenidate PRN, low dose Saphris PRN

Past meds: Bupropion XL 150 mg, fluoxetine 40 mg, birth control pills, n-acetlycysteine 1000 mg b.i.d.

#48 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Most AP's suppress TD and are used in low doses to treat TD if it is permanent. 

In patients with severe TD, conventional antipsychotics given 4 times daily may suppress or mask TD by permitting a constant level of dopamine blockade that does not allow abnormal dyskinetic movements to emerge at their worst. Used temporarily while switching to an atypical antipsychotic, this “suppressive therapy” may be an option for patients experiencing extreme respiratory alkalosis from diaphragmatic chorea.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1764541/

Edited by notfred, 09 November 2013 - 05:35 PM.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#49 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

platy,

They're probably leaving some unlucky bastards out on the six months thing, but anything that starts the first day or two is not TD, and will stop when you stop the drug.  Acute dystonia and Parkinsonism are also far more common, and fit Franglish's symptoms better (which is why I said what I did).

And, I didn't disagree with you nor suggest that Franglish has TD, I don't try and diagnose people and was simply saying that the PI sheets themselves warn of TD possibly starting quickly, it didn't refer to 1 or 2 days but I know someone who has diagnosed TD after one month on Abilify and her involuntary movements have not improved so I was trying to get another perspective on it.

I don't know how rare or common it is to experience TD after stopping the drug but based upon what my pdoc said and the article that Notfred referred to, it would seem to me that it's not necessarily a rare thing. As notfred noted, AAP's are used to treat TD because it suppresses the abnormal movements. Yes, it freaks me out too and my pdoc gave me some assurance that it doesn't just appear one day and any symptoms that occur can be dealt with quickly but he had to admit that it could show itself only after getting off the drug...that admission freaked me out as well but I feel so well on Saphris (which Jerod personally thinks would be more likely to cause TD or EPS symptoms in general than other AAP's but it's his opinion but based on his considerable knowledge) that I'm loathed to discontinue it.

#50 Franglish9265

Franglish9265

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

I don't have TD, I may have had akathisia, the drug induced parkinsonism, and/or the acute dystonic reaction.

They happened after 1-2 doses. Then got treatment, for Latuda at 1/2 of whatever dose came in the sampler pdoc gave me; Symptoms happened after 2 (1/2 strength) doses. Spent the next morning with shakes, tremors, trouble walking, muscle neck pain, and uncontrollable twitching on my face.

I then went to the hospital, not ICU, more like a health clinic. As it was the weekend, no docs, so nurse asked about symptoms then dx'd and px'd 5mg or so of Valium to take every 6 hours to control muscle symptoms and pain. I stopped taking Latuda.

I fear that if I try APs or AAPs again that I will get the same reactions even if I do need them for my depression treatment.

Edited by Franglish9265, 11 November 2013 - 07:29 AM.

PRNs 

Supplements

Past Meds:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog