Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy

Um...why Does All My Food Taste Weird?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_teacupcakes

In_Remission_teacupcakes
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

I have only taken two doses of reboxetine so far.

Everything I try to eat tastes rancid. The only thing I seem to be able to stomach is cola which tastes weird but not unpleasantly so.

To my knowledge this isn't a listed side effect and it is weird as hell. Why on earth is this happening? Am I just imagining it?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:21 AM

Everything I try to eat tastes rancid. The only thing I seem to be able to stomach is cola which tastes weird but not unpleasantly so.

To my knowledge this isn't a listed side effect and it is weird as hell. Why on earth is this happening? Am I just imagining it?

Because you won the lottery.

13 out of 892 people in the "Short term controlled studies" experienced taste perversion. It is listed on the NZ PI sheet under "special senses".

I'm sorry; perhaps it will get better once you get to blood level?

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#3 In_Remission_teacupcakes

In_Remission_teacupcakes
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

Oh man. Wow, that's odd.

I've also discovered I can eat vegetables, including potato as long as there's nothing added to it, which is a turn up for the books.

Unfortunately most of the things that taste really good are full of sugar and I'm mildly hyperglycaemic + yeast-infection prone so I'm having to stick to the bland stuff. And diet coke which is hardly healthy in itself but at least it tastes nice.

#4 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

Because you won the lottery.

13 out of 892 people in the "Short term controlled studies" experienced taste perversion. It is listed on the NZ PI sheet under "special senses".

This is exactly why I have PI sheets from as many countries as I can find on the medication pages.

Taste perversion is a potential side effect for practically every medication we deal with.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#5 In_Remission_teacupcakes

In_Remission_teacupcakes
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

I'd actually never heard of it as a side-effect for anything before I came here - it seems like it doesn't tend to be listed on the UK PI sheets.

Interestingly it seems to be slightly better today but I am so nauseous and dizzy that I cannot eat. I've never ever reacted like this to an AD before. :mad:

#6 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

I'd actually never heard of it as a side-effect for anything before I came here - it seems like it doesn't tend to be listed on the UK PI sheets.

Interestingly it seems to be slightly better today but I am so nauseous and dizzy that I cannot eat. I've never ever reacted like this to an AD before. :mad:

Have you ever been on something that specifically addressed norepinephrine before? (Desipramine would be one)

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#7 In_Remission_teacupcakes

In_Remission_teacupcakes
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

Have you ever been on something that specifically addressed norepinephrine before? (Desipramine would be one)

Dymphna

Nope, never, which I guess is why. I've never had any side-effects with SSRIs but never had any positive effects from them either.

Food tastes normal again but I feel too sick to eat it. I have already lost 5lbs. I'm not sure how much longer to keep going with this. :/

#8 Nutter 6

Nutter 6

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Diagnoses:see sig
  • Current Meds:see sig

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

If food really tastes normal again, you should be fine...5 pounds you can gain back.

If food no longer tastes like sh*t, but is not yet normal, then you may need to work on it. I am on cymbalta--food no longer tastes completely synthetic, but I have apparently lost the taste buds on the edges of my tongue. If your willingness to take on food may be still compromised, you could lose more.

If you are nauseated, but could eat food, benzo might help. They can take away the nausea, but if food tastes wrong, they don't help--they will not make it taste any better, but they will reduce overall nausea.

Are you back to normal, or does food no longer taste like total crap, or does food taste good except for the fact you're going to hurl?

:mad:

don't you love this stuff?

Edited by Nutter 6, 11 April 2009 - 08:19 PM.

Dx: OCD, GAD, PD, ADHD, Pain due to jaw injury hyperirritable trigeminal, facial, and spinal accessory nerves following jaw injury (Two Three Four Five months now, and counting...)
Psycho Rx: Cymbalta, 90; Vyvanse, 30; Klonopin, PRN, up to 1.5 x 3;
everchanging Pain RX: Neurontin, 400; Acetaminophen 650 x 3 (sometimes with codeine); Voltaren, PRN; Physio, Upper and lower jaws splinted, Lots and lots of ice...some nutters wear tin foil hats; I like ice hats...

---
'But I don’t want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can’t help that,' said the Cat. 'We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.'
'How do you know I’m mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,” said the Cat. 'or you wouldn’t have come here.'

#9 In_Remission_teacupcakes

In_Remission_teacupcakes
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

If food really tastes normal again, you should be fine...5 pounds you can gain back.

If food no longer tastes like sh*t, but is not yet normal, then you may need to work on it. I am on cymbalta--food no longer tastes completely synthetic, but I have apparently lost the taste buds on the edges of my tongue. If your willingness to take on food may be still compromised, you could lose more.

If you are nauseated, but could eat food, benzo might help. They can take away the nausea, but if food tastes wrong, they don't help--they will not make it taste any better, but they will reduce overall nausea.

Are you back to normal, or does food no longer taste like total crap, or does food taste good except for the fact you're going to hurl?

:mad:

don't you love this stuff?

Food tastes okay except for the fact that I'm going to hurl, LOL. I'm also a mild/moderate emetophobe so I'm treading very carefully. :/

I've managed to eat today which is good. I do feel like total crap though.

I have some ativan which I take as needed but I didn't know it could reduce nausea - I'll give it a go. I think I'm going to give this two weeks which was my doctor's benchmark and if I still feel awful (and if it continues to have no effect on my mood) I'll reconsider.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions