Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Neurontin Causing Headaches?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Vevvie

In_Remission_Vevvie
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

I just started taking Neurontin yesterday and all of the sudden, I have a horrible headache that won't go away. I'm on 300mg 3 times a day for anxiety. Has anyone experienced this and will it go away? I normally never get headaches, so this is awful and tylenol and advil don't help. Thank you!

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

It's possible. I also take 900mg, but I titrated up from 100mg over a couple of weeks without any problems. Actually, I get migraines and I have fewer since I started it. I'm wondering whether you might have a better time going up slowly. You might want to ask your pdoc about it. I hope your headache goes away quickly.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

#3 CER

CER

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Diagnoses:I'm a clown
  • Current Meds:Too many
  • Location:Recently beat-up HP Pavilion (thanks to my 9-yr old son)

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

It's possible. I also take 900mg, but I titrated up from 100mg over a couple of weeks without any problems. Actually, I get migraines and I have fewer since I started it. I'm wondering whether you might have a better time going up slowly. You might want to ask your pdoc about it. I hope your headache goes away quickly.

Exactly.

Vevvie, did you start yesterday at 300mg 3x/day? That's supposed to be the starting dose for epilepsy and supposedly "safe", but Jerod on the main site recommends to start at 300mg/day the first day, then 600mg 2nd, then 900mg the 3rd. As it is though, talk to your pdoc or try and tough it out if you can and let your body get used to it for another day or two and maybe your headaches will go away.

I was on Neurontin a few years ago and I don't recall serious headaches right when I started it. In fact, my headaches decreased once I got up to the higher doses.
BPII / ADD

Current meds: Lamotrigine, Topamax, Seroquel, Mirtazapine, Adderall

One day I feel I'm on top of the world
And the next it's falling in on me...

#4 In_Remission_Vevvie

In_Remission_Vevvie
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hmm, that's an interesting possibility. I've already had 2 days at 900, so not sure if my doc would want to go back and start slower, but I'm going to ask him tomorrow. I also had a fever of 100.5, so I don't know if that's another side effect or not! Thanks so much to those that replied. I'm new to the site and everyone has been so great.

Exactly.

Vevvie, did you start yesterday at 300mg 3x/day? That's supposed to be the starting dose for epilepsy and supposedly "safe", but Jerod on the main site recommends to start at 300mg/day the first day, then 600mg 2nd, then 900mg the 3rd. As it is though, talk to your pdoc or try and tough it out if you can and let your body get used to it for another day or two and maybe your headaches will go away.

I was on Neurontin a few years ago and I don't recall serious headaches right when I started it. In fact, my headaches decreased once I got up to the higher doses.

#5 In_Remission_Vevvie

In_Remission_Vevvie
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

My doctor finally called me back and said I was probably taking too much, but 900mg a day is what he prescribed me! He said to just take it on an as needed basis, but I thought Neurontin is something that needs to build up in your system to be effective. Is that true? Thank you!!

#6 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

My doctor finally called me back and said I was probably taking too much, but 900mg a day is what he prescribed me! He said to just take it on an as needed basis, but I thought Neurontin is something that needs to build up in your system to be effective. Is that true? Thank you!!

Neurontin is an anti-convulsant. And, like ALL anticonvulsants, it cannot be taken "as needed". A patient risks a withdrawl seizure (even if they have never had seizures before) by not taking it continuously, at an even dose.

Dymphna

p.s. Although meds can help ameliorate some physical issues WHILE one is in therapy, the first-line treatment for borderline IS therapy, not meds. eg: the meds can make sorting through ones issues more palatable, but they won't fix the root problem - only therapy will.

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#7 In_Remission_Vevvie

In_Remission_Vevvie
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

Well, that's definitely cause for concern. Maybe I'll see if my pdoc is willing to prescribe something else. Also, as soon as I stopped taking Neurontin, the headaches stopped.

#8 In_Remission_jeeeun

In_Remission_jeeeun
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:56 PM

I definitely had a really bad headache for a few days when I first started Neurontin. I take it for migraines but I felt really really crappy when I first started taking this medication.

#9 In_Remission_Mister Coke

In_Remission_Mister Coke
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

I got 400mg 3xday today. I guess I see how it works.

#10 In_Remission_mkellogg

In_Remission_mkellogg
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:30 AM

I just started taking Neurontin yesterday and all of the sudden, I have a horrible headache that won't go away. I'm on 300mg 3 times a day for anxiety. Has anyone experienced this and will it go away? I normally never get headaches, so this is awful and tylenol and advil don't help. Thank you!

I was taking Neurontin 300mg at night for pain as needed, but experienced terrible hang over/ headaches the next day by mid-afternoon. Now I started Neurontin at a higher dose (1200mg) on a continuos basis. I still get feeling sort of hungover/wiped out/ bad headache late in the day.

Has anyone experienced this?

]The same thing happened when I took Lyrica. Now I feel great in the morning upon waking up which is so unusual for me! Also I was on Seroquel but because of a mix up with my insurance not paying for it, I stopped taking it and feel 100% better. What other medicines are you on? Could it be a bad mix?

#11 In_Remission_mkellogg

In_Remission_mkellogg
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

I was taking Neurontin 300mg at night for pain as needed, but experienced terrible hang over/ headaches the next day by mid-afternoon. Now I started Neurontin at a higher dose (1200mg) on a continuos basis. I still get feeling sort of hungover/wiped out/ bad headache late in the day.

Has anyone experienced this?

]The same thing happened when I took Lyrica. Now I feel great in the morning upon waking up which is so unusual for me! Also I was on Seroquel but because of a mix up with my insurance not paying for it, I stopped taking it and feel 100% better. What other medicines are you on? Could it be a bad mix?

#12 Rachel's Lemon

Rachel's Lemon

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:RSD/ ????

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

HELP... I am taking gabapentin for RSD. the doctor started me on it about a week and a half ago. i tried it years ago after a car accident and no problems. used it for a few years then got off. NOW I CANT BARE IT..  the first night i took 300 mg. woke with a HORRIBLE migraine. after taking my migraine cocktail and icing my head for 3 hours it went away. BUT I SLEPT ALL NIGHT. i thought my migraine was from sleeping funny as i havent slept all night or for more than 3 hours at a time in over a year. tried it again the next night.. another migraine. I am a pharmacy technician so i know about titrating up but DANG.. so i thought i would try 200mg the next night. same thing the next morning MIGRAINE FROM HELL. tried different pillows and 200mg again. another migraine next morning. NO gabapentin next night NO MIGRAINE.. WTF??? so i tried 100mg just at bedtime. no migraine the next morning but no sleep and lots of leg pain! so i thought i should stay at 100mg for 3-4 days then move to 200.. BAM.. 200mg day comes and migraines for last 3 days. I CANT DO THIS!!!!   anyone else have a suggestion on titrating without migraines and still getting pain relief??

#13 Slick_Nick

Slick_Nick

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Brains fine
  • Current Meds:MSIR

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:21 AM

Yes. I got this about 4 minutes into this medicine. I took 300 mg. I haven't been able to sleep all night. My solution is to stop taking it. I take normally morphine instant release. I always get headaches on Neurontin. I have never gotten a headache on morphine, and I can take Tylenol when I want to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog