Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Alternatives To St Johns Wort

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainYaar

CaptainYaar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

I currently take Effexor XR 75mg for depression and anxiety and I find it affective except for one thing. The med peters out after I would say 8 to 12 hours each day, and since I take it early in the morning, I start freaking out in the evenings with panic attacks and severe depression. My Dr suggested taking it in the afternoons but I really need it for when I work. I asked my Dr if I could take St John's Wort to tide me over in the evenings, but he discouraged it, because it can affetc your blood levels in many different ways (seratonin, etc). I am trying to be compliant to what my Dr says.

My question is: are there any alternatives to St Johns Wort for depression and anxiety that I can take while I am on conventional antidepressants?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:29 AM

Bad idea. SJW is not standardized in the US, so the levels would not be consistent.

A better idea would be to see about getting another, 25mg prescription for the afternoon (which would raise your total dose by 25mg), or getting a completely new script for 37.5mg that you could take twice a day (75mg total).

Personally, I would think that the "add 25mg" would work better, as it appears your body is processing the 75mg pretty completely. Ask your Pdoc.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#3 CaptainYaar

CaptainYaar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

I am not interested in being on Saint Johns Wort as I know that it can really mess things up. I think I should also mention that I am not on conventional Effexor, but Effexor XR, so the dosing and mechanism may be a bit different than regular Effexor.

Bad idea. SJW is not standardized in the US, so the levels would not be consistent.

A better idea would be to see about getting another, 25mg prescription for the afternoon (which would raise your total dose by 25mg), or getting a completely new script for 37.5mg that you could take twice a day (75mg total).

Personally, I would think that the "add 25mg" would work better, as it appears your body is processing the 75mg pretty completely. Ask your Pdoc.

Dymphna

#4 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

Then you might be able to tolerate Omega 3s. Read the section on the main page to see what aspects are important. And recognize that they have the potential to flip a person into mania (as do all ADs - for people with and w/o BP).

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#5 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

You can take two Effexor XR tablets at different times during the day. Even with the extended release Effexor's dismal half life isn't improved.

If twice a day still doesn't provide effective relief consider prozac. It will take longer to kick in, but once it kicks, it kicks.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#6 In_Remission_euphoria

In_Remission_euphoria
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:23 AM

Rhodiola rosea. SAMe. Kava. The list is pretty much endless.

#7 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

I currently take Effexor XR 75mg for depression and anxiety and I find it affective except for one thing. The med peters out after I would say 8 to 12 hours each day,

You know how everyone bitches about side effects because they are "so med sensitive" and they're poor metabolizers? The second part is often true, as 7 to 15% (depending on study) of Caucasians, 5-7% of Asians and 1-2% of Africans (don't know about mutts, Hispanics or various indigenous groups) have lazy-ass livers. My liver sucks so hard with CYP2D6 meds I was taking half of a 2.5mg Abilify every other day and it not only worked great it still fucked with me.

On the flip side one to two percent of Caucasians are rapid metabolizers (don't have good numbers for anyone else except Ethiopians, where it can be up to 26%). People who burn through meds faster then expected. Way faster. People who don't get a lot of the 'body' side effects like nausea or acne, or they aren't as bad. People with a history of drugs that seem to almost work.

Or drugs that are supposed to work all day don't. Especially something like Effexor that has an active metabolite and goes through several iterations of metabolism.

Talk to your doc about taking the XR version twice a day. 75mg in the morning and 37.5 later or 37.5mg twice a day or something. Omega 3 fish oil? Sure, why not. Other than its own side effects (taste, expense, fishy burbs, low blood pressure) I've yet to come across a bad drug-drug interaction. But I think some kind of twice a day regimen would work best.

Hell, you'd probably need to take Pristiq three times a day! ;)
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog