Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Has Anyone Ever Taken Seroquel And Topamax Together?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_sneakypuss

In_Remission_sneakypuss
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:18 AM

G'day from Australia

Firstly, let me say that I wish I had found this site sooner ~ it's a great source of information :mad:

I have Bipolar II and GAD. My current medications are Lexapro, Edronax, Seroquel and Xanax as needed.

In an unrelated matter, I broke my back 12 years ago and I am having some nerve pain. I am having a second spinal operation in March, but in the meantime, my neurosurgeon suggested I take Tegretol to help the pain. During some internet research I came across Topamax and I was wondering if I should ask either my GP, Psych, or Neurosurgeon to give me that instead, because like Tegretol, Topamax can be used for both nerve pain and as a mood stabilizer

I'd like to stay on the Seroquel as I find that it helps, has anyone ever combined both Seroquel and Topamax?

If not, has anyone ever replaced their Seroquel with Topamax as a mood stabilizer?

TIA
Sneaky P

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_juliekelly

In_Remission_juliekelly
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

Hello,
I am new here as well. My PDoc just started me on seroquel 400mg and topamax 100mg, 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I have to say this is the quietest that my head has been in a really long time. I feel great!

#3 Anise

Anise

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Diagnoses:Organic brain syndrome w/BP features, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Seroquel, Focalin, Topamax

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

How weird. I asked this same question a while back.

Yep, I take them both together. I really don't like Seroquel very much, but I LOVE Topamax. I guess I can at least tell you that if you take them together, well, your head won't explode.... :mad: What muddles things even more is that I also take Focalin, and combining a stimulant drug with Topamax can really shake up the side effects, pretty much eliminating the scary cognitive things you may have heard about. *Without* that, though, I do have to wonder what I might get in that realm from combining Seroquel and Topamax. So it's hard to say.
I think everybody should like everybody. -- Andy Warhol
If you bring forth what it within you, what is within you will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what is within you will destroy you. -- Jesus, The Gospel of Thomas.

Basically, I think that means that if you have PTSD and take Topamax, you had BETTER be ready to have the doors of perception opened!!!!

#4 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

Anise - you have a temporal lobe head injury, that is why Topamax works so well for you. It is what the drug is designed to do - work on problems in the temporal lobe.

Sneaky - Topamax is not a first or even second line mood stabilizer. It is truly an anti-convulsant. Many people have found it helpful as an add-on to help with rage episodes that are a result of rapid cycling, but our experience on this site is that, for general mood stabilization, it is not the way to go.

If you are experiencing nerve pain, the first line drugs are either Neurontin or Lyrica.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#5 Anise

Anise

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

Anise - you have a temporal lobe head injury, that is why Topamax works so well for you. It is what the drug is designed to do - work on problems in the temporal lobe.

Yay! (Runs around, throwing confetti.) No more homicidal rages. Dymphna, do you know where the actual research is about the temporal lobe stuff? I know it HAS to be out there, but I have looked without any real success.

So Topamax is a big mood stabilizer in that way. The question of whether it's a general mood stabilizer or not seems to be a very different one. I will say this. I've gone over the psych studies quite a bit and what interests me most is that Topamax works for so many people who were clearly just given up on before. I have been interning in community mental health for a year, we get the worst of the worst, and even WE don't usually see bipolar people with problems as bad as the folks in the open label studies. They'd consistently failed at EVERY med and had comorbid everything, sometimes including substance abuse (!) When we get referrals like this at treatment team meetings, we sort of feel a collective "Oh, God" go around the table, because we know we almost certainly won't be able to help. To have a 50-70% response rate of moderate to impressive improvment just because yet another additional med got thrown onto the pile.... it just almost never happens with any of the meds that were available before. We're just beginning to see it. Not a lot of our people have been prescribed Topamax yet and they really do have to get their other meds at least stable first, but I've already seen a couple of people improve who I never thought would actually get any improvement. So it's almost like the more complicated the crap is that's going on with someone, the more likely it is that Topamax is going to do something for them.
If you bring forth what it within you, what is within you will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what is within you will destroy you. -- Jesus, The Gospel of Thomas.

Basically, I think that means that if you have PTSD and take Topamax, you had BETTER be ready to have the doors of perception opened!!!!

#6 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

In an unrelated matter, I broke my back 12 years ago and I am having some nerve pain. I am having a second spinal operation in March, but in the meantime, my neurosurgeon suggested I take Tegretol to help the pain. During some internet research I came across Topamax and I was wondering if I should ask either my GP, Psych, or Neurosurgeon to give me that instead, because like Tegretol, Topamax can be used for both nerve pain and as a mood stabilizer

As Dymphna wrote Topamax isn't a first-line mood stabilizer. Additionally it's not all that great in general for neuropathic pain outside of some really specific forms. Carbamazepine has a long track record for specific types of neuropathic pain caused by injury or a chronic disorder, while Lyrica, gabapentin and various antidepressants work best for the majority of causes of neuropathic pain. So if a neurosurgeon says, "Tegretol" your reply should be, "When do I start?"

If not, has anyone ever replaced their Seroquel with Topamax as a mood stabilizer?

I'm sure someone has. We're all for replacing antipsychotics with anticonvulsants. You might be able to replace the Seroquel with the Tegretol, and be way better off that way.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#7 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Neuroprotective Properties of Topiramate in the Lithium-Pilocarpine Model of Epilepsy

At all doses, topiramate induced a 24 to 30% neuroprotection in layer CA1 of hippocampus (p < 0.05). In CA3b, the 30-mg/kg dose prevented neuronal death.

This abstract discusses how Topiramate works after TBI (nothing at 48hr but significant findings at 4 weeks).

This article discusses using Topiramate for "right retro-ocular and temporal stabbing pain" in cluster headache.

The info is out there, but often the description of the abstract leads to an abstract that doesn't have the portion of the data you're looking for. If you find an abstract that looks promising, and you know a doc affiliated with a hospital (they have med libraries), they can pull the actual article up for you.

Dymphna

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#8 Anise

Anise

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

Neuroprotective Properties of Topiramate in the Lithium-Pilocarpine Model of Epilepsy

At all doses, topiramate induced a 24 to 30% neuroprotection in layer CA1 of hippocampus (p < 0.05). In CA3b, the 30-mg/kg dose prevented neuronal death.

This abstract discusses how Topiramate works after TBI (nothing at 48hr but significant findings at 4 weeks).

This article discusses using Topiramate for "right retro-ocular and temporal stabbing pain" in cluster headache.

The info is out there, but often the description of the abstract leads to an abstract that doesn't have the portion of the data you're looking for. If you find an abstract that looks promising, and you know a doc affiliated with a hospital (they have med libraries), they can pull the actual article up for you.

Dymphna

How cool! Thanks so much. I can get articles through the University of Tennessee, so if anybody ever wants to see one, just ask. :mad: Even with everything I have to do this semester, I feel that I *have* to spend at least some time on this kind of thing. I mean, I'm using this brain to get through my MSW, after all, so it's kind of the basis of passing finals... :)

#9 Paris

Paris

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression & ADD. Possibly Bi-Polar, Schizoaffective or something else as well.
  • Current Meds:Adderall, Cymbalta, Zonegran, Buspar, Seroquel, Thyrolar, Tenex, Klonopin & other PRNs.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:30 AM

G'day from Australia

I'd like to stay on the Seroquel as I find that it helps, has anyone ever combined both Seroquel and Topamax?

TIA
Sneaky P

I started Topamax several weeks ago. I take Seroquel at night mainly for sleep and was hoping to minimize/eliminate it because it gives me the munchies. Since starting the Topamax I've been able to cut my Seroquel dose in half most nights, so it's helped.

#10 Anise

Anise

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

G'day from Australia

TIA
Sneaky P

Huh. I can't take Topamax too late at night or I can't get to sleep, so it just goes to show that you never know how individual people will react to a med. Most people do seem to get the sedation effect from Topamax though.

BTW, my most current experience with Topamax is that I'm *really* getting the reducing-compulsive-behaviors effect. It took a while for this to kick in (about two months), but wow, I really notice it and it's helping me a lot. It's just about killed off compulsive eating for me, which I NEVER thought could possibly happen, but that's far from the only thing. It's been a very big help with my OCD issues as well. I have the type of OCD that's been very treatment-resistant and did not respond to an SSRI at all, and in case studies so far (and at least one open label study, I think) that seems to be the kind that Topamax helps with.

I started Topamax several weeks ago. I take Seroquel at night mainly for sleep and was hoping to minimize/eliminate it because it gives me the munchies. Since starting the Topamax I've been able to cut my Seroquel dose in half most nights, so it's helped.

#11 In_Remission_Hell0

In_Remission_Hell0
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

I've recently started takeing seroquil. Under 5mg to help me get to sleep. I take 200mg of topamax during the mornings.

Thing is my memory is now shoty. I work in child care, and when doing the roll, when I sign children in, I can't remember there names and need to ask them most of the time. I've also been in less of a good mood. Seroquill affecting dopamine?

I'm taking topamax after alot of other medications not working. This has been really, really good. On this medication I can focus fine and feel happy enough, though if I dont sleep, as in force my self to stay awake, I will get a panic attack, wich is why I started the seroquill.

I normally have a nap during the day, or lets say, the first time I sleep during the 24 hour period I will feal my self entering a stage of sleep. My head will have this big pulse fealing. As if its charged of some kind of energy. It usually hurts a little bit as it zaps my brain. But when that hapens I no i'll be asleep any minute, this feeling will only last a second.

I still eat as much as I ever did. I eat more infact. As in i'll eat breakfast.
My diagnosis has been a toss up between depresions/add/bipolar2 in the past. I never responded to anti-depresents. Infact the last one I was on made me worse, I stoped takeing it while taking topamx and felt really good. Then stoped topamax and felt bad. Then started topamax again and feel better.

Edited by Hell0, 25 February 2009 - 09:31 AM.

#12 Paris

Paris

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression & ADD. Possibly Bi-Polar, Schizoaffective or something else as well.
  • Current Meds:Adderall, Cymbalta, Zonegran, Buspar, Seroquel, Thyrolar, Tenex, Klonopin & other PRNs.

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

G'day from Australia

TIA
Sneaky P

OOOPS, I spoke too soon...Topamax just turned on me and started doing the exact opposite of what it was doing before. It was no longer stabilizing my mood, dulling my appetite & making me drowsy. All of a sudden I started getting agitated, hungry, & depressed about an hour after taking it and due to some other freaky side effects involving shaky vision, I had to stop taking it. Darn.

#13 In_Remission_AAngelGoddess

In_Remission_AAngelGoddess
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:22 AM

For almost 2 yrs I was on a cocktail of Topamax, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, and Seroquel...it was the most stable I have EVER been...unfortunately, I started getting manic and agitated again and my teeth are almost gone now, so we had to start messing with stuff again...I also gained 35 lbs in a yr from a combo of the Seroquel and several rounds of steroids for severe resp. infections...I have tried 5 diff. ADs since then and NONE of them worked, (I'm also very sensitive to sexual side effects) and just finished almost 1 1/2 months on Lamictal alone...(what a horrible time that was!!). I lost 15 lbs after being off the Seroquel just during that time, then put it all back on when I ended up back on it for 3 wks due to insomnia and raging.
Basically, I found that other than feeling EXTREMELY tired first thing in the morning, (after taking 100mg Topamax and 200mg Seroquel to start the day) I was very happy with this combo. I was also on Methadone for chronic pain during this time, so that augmented the fatigue a lot.

#14 In_Remission_Monday

In_Remission_Monday
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hi, I finally stopped lurking here and became a full fledged crazy folk! I'm currently taking both Seroquel and Topamax. My Pdoc says it's fine to take both.

For me Seroquel works; but maybe Topamax works better (I strongly suspect that I have some sort of epilepsy type thing rather than the official bi-polar Dx. I had a brain injury as an infant...I just grew up thinking it was normal to space out once in a while.)

Seroquel makes me sleepy and fat, the Topamax makes me happy (maybe a bit too "up") and (dare I hope?) skinny; it really killed my appetite. I'm slowly reducing the Seroquel (which I now take only at night) and I'm trying to find the right dose of Topamax which I take during the day. I really hope I can keep going with the Topamax, but I have the usual side effects: stupidity, language problems...those have been getting better. Worse thing is the "pins and needles" which is really painful, enough so that I may have to go back to Seroquel.

I find that these two drugs seem to have entirely different effects on me. I'm finding it really hard to regulate the Topamax, but when it's at that sweet spot, I feel pretty good.

#15 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:51 AM

Hi, I finally stopped lurking here and became a full fledged crazy folk! I'm currently taking both Seroquel and Topamax. My Pdoc says it's fine to take both.

For me Seroquel works; but maybe Topamax works better (I strongly suspect that I have some sort of epilepsy type thing rather than the official bi-polar Dx. I had a brain injury as an infant...I just grew up thinking it was normal to space out once in a while.)

Seroquel makes me sleepy and fat, the Topamax makes me happy (maybe a bit too "up") and (dare I hope?) skinny; it really killed my appetite. I'm slowly reducing the Seroquel (which I now take only at night) and I'm trying to find the right dose of Topamax which I take during the day. I really hope I can keep going with the Topamax, but I have the usual side effects: stupidity, language problems...those have been getting better. Worse thing is the "pins and needles" which is really painful, enough so that I may have to go back to Seroquel.

I find that these two drugs seem to have entirely different effects on me. I'm finding it really hard to regulate the Topamax, but when it's at that sweet spot, I feel pretty good.

Seroquel can also lower a person's seizure threshold, so if you find yourself getting "spacier" while on it, perhaps it is adding to the problem?

Some docs are very benzo resistant, but benzos such as Klonopin are helpful for both mood regulation and seizure control when used in controlled doses over time. Just a thought.

Dymphna

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#16 In_Remission_Monday

In_Remission_Monday
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:27 AM

I don't know anything about Klonopin, but it sounds like it can contribute to depression...which would not be good for me. My pdoc is pretty good with her meds...I trust her with this plus she's pretty open to trying something different, so we'll see...

What's really strange is that the Topamax seems to be what's causing the comeback of my seizures...they are very small, but they are back (haven't had any for a while on the Seroquel regime.) I get one or two small ones each time I up the dose of the Topamax (even when there is no change in the Seroquel dose.) Seems very weird for an anti-seizure med!! Can anyone explain why this may be happening? It's not so bad that I'm worried about it, but it does strike me as very odd...

I'm slowing lowering the Seroquel, which alters my sleep pattern. It makes me tired when I take it and it makes me tired when I don't take it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog