Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Risperdal For Schizoaffective

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 papertrees

papertrees

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective, Bipolar Type, Panic Disorder
  • Current Meds:Saphris 20mg, Lamictal 200mg,Prozac 20mg, Xanax PRN

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:07 AM

I was wondering on the efficacy of risperdal for schizoaffective disorder. I'm on risperdal and lithium. My diagnosis was changed from bipolar with borderline personality disorder to simply schizoaffective. What side effects can I expect apart from lactation? Is this a good combo I'm on? Is this the usual for schizoaffective?

Many thanks.
The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive.
To him
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god,
and failure is death.
Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create - so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating. -Pearl S. Buck

Visit my blog: http://paperskyscrapers.wordpress.com

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:53 AM

I took risperdol briefly during a severe manic episode with psychosis. It worked really well to treat the psychosis, IMO. It wasn't as good with anxiety and agitation, so I took it in conjunction with seroquel, which has been my anti-psychotic of choice for awhile now.

I had to stop taking it due to the lactation side effect. What to expect-- ? Well, if you are going to get that side effect, expect to start lactating. For me it wasn't much, although my breasts grew a cup size. The bigger problem was that this, in conjunction with possibly depakote, caused my periods to stop. I'm still waiting for the return of normal function, although I stopped both depakote and risperdol over a month ago. We'll see what happens.

I'd take risperdol again short term, btw, if I needed to. However, I was concerned about possible health effects from continuing to lactate long term, and not have periods.

Btw, my doctor says this is possibly dose dependent. When I dropped the dose a little, the lactation itself went away, although my breasts remained larger than usual, and I didn't get my period. He also seemed to think that invega might be worth a try to see if it took that side effect away (although they haven't, apparently, had enough experience with it to know if less side effects manifest themselves).

I would think that a lithium/risperdol combo would be a fairly good treatment for schizoaffective disorder, provided you don't get too many side effects.

Good luck.
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#3 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

What side effects can I expect apart from lactation?

Per the page on Risperdal's side effects:

Risperdal's Typical Side Effects: The usual for atypical antipsychotics - headache, nausea, dry mouth, sleepiness and lethargy or insomnia and way too much energy. Most everything but the sleepiness & lethargy or bouncing off the walls usually goes away within a couple of weeks.

More side effects and the odds for them on that page.

Is this a good combo I'm on? Is this the usual for schizoaffective?

The usual for schizoaffective is lithium or an anticonvulsant (check) plus an antipsychotic (check).

"Good" depends on your symptoms and any previous history with medication.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#4 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

I <3 Risperdal.

If I were stuck on a desert island with the choice of one drug for sanity, that would be the one. I would have boobs the size of Dolly Parton's, and I would be able to nurse all of Ethiopia, but I wouldn't care.

Can't speak for Lithium. That's Jook's job.

D

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#5 papertrees

papertrees

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:08 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I will see a new pdoc on Sunday (it's thursday now). I wonder if he'll change my meds or whatnot. Anyhow, thank you all.
The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive.
To him
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god,
and failure is death.
Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create - so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating. -Pearl S. Buck

#6 Simba Cub

Simba Cub

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective disorder of the depressive type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks
  • Current Meds:Alprazolam, Clozapine, Sodium Valproate, TMS, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

I took Risperidone for Schizoaffective Disorder of the Depressive Type.

It did NOT agree with me.

Not only was it impotent in terms of treatment, it also caused problems in energy (I could NOT resist going to sleep 15 mins after taking it), difficulties breathing (I found it VERY hard to breathe) and it generally made me ache all over.

Since then I've gone through a host of antipsychotics and only Cloazpine has worked for my psychosis. My depression was equally hard to treat, resulting in a spell of 12 ECT sessions and multiple antidepressants.

I guess that's why they called me treatment resistant :mad:

Rich::
Diagnosed with: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Depressive Type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks

Experience in: Alprazolam, Aripiprazole, Bupropion, Chlordiazepoxide, Citalopram, Clonazepam, Clozapine, Dothiepin, Duloxetine, ECT, EMDR, Fluoxetine, Imipramine, Lamotrigine, Lithium, Lorazepam, Mirtazapine, Moclobemide, Olanzapine, Paroxetine, Procyclidine, Propranolol, Quetiapine, Reboxetine, Risperidone, Sertraline, Sodium Valproate, TMS, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine, Venlafaxine, Zolpidem, Zopiclone.

1365591961747s.jpg

#7 papertrees

papertrees

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:40 AM

Thanks for all your replies but I'm now off risperdal and off my old pdoc and on a new one and on abilify again and topamax again.
To him
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god,
and failure is death.

#8 netsavy006

netsavy006

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Diagnoses:Asperger's + Bipolar 1: Mixed Episode
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

Good luck with the new combo.
- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Bipolar 1: Mixed Episode
Rx: Topamax 200mg + Valium 15mg + Zyprexa Zydis 5mg + Artane 6mg + Lunesta 3mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog