Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Seroquel And Grapefruit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_dizzyfaerie

In_Remission_dizzyfaerie
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

how bad is it really?
if i eat a grapefruit once in a blue moon is my head gonna explode? :mad:

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Mood Disorder NOS, Epilepsy

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

No it interferes with most meds. Not so significantly. It justs makes it a LITTLE less effective. People with disorders such as seizures need to be more aware and try not to dabble in the grapefruit.
Current rx: Lamictal-500mg, Keppra-1500mg, Lithium-1200mg, Risperdal-1mg, Ativan-prn, Risperdal-prn, Geodon-20mg

Past rx: Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 yrs.), Zoloft, Abilify (3 trials), Celexa, Geodon, Topamax, Seroquel, Cogentin

#3 berry

berry

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II rc
  • Current Meds:Effexor, Tegretol

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

before i realised this was a problem, i drank grapefruit juice a few times. still alive :mad:
Ex rx: Valproate, Lithium, Lovan, Edronax, Seroquel, Propranolol, Neulactil, Ziprasidone

#4 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

No it interferes with most meds. Not so significantly. It justs makes it a LITTLE less effective.

Not most, but many. Plus grapefruit juice is a potent inhibitor of CYP3A4, which means the drugs involved hang around longer. It's as if you took more, not less. Its effects can last up to three days after the last time you had some.

People with disorders such as seizures need to be more aware and try not to dabble in the grapefruit.

That's true.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#5 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

how bad is it really?

As I wrote above grapefruit is a potent inhibitor of the enzyme that is used to metabolize Seroquel.

if i eat a grapefruit once in a blue moon is my head gonna explode? :mad:

A single grapefruit won't make a tremendous difference. It will be as if you increased your dosage somewhat for a couple of days, so it's not a good idea.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#6 In_Remission_Medicated_Madness

In_Remission_Medicated_Madness
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:30 AM

If this is true why do you think I was never informed by a medical professoinal to not eat grapefruit?? I was prescribed 400mg of seroquel at one point.

#7 litgirl

litgirl

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP I, e/d (anorexia - in remission phase)
  • Current Meds:Zyprexa Zydis, Topamax, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Provigil, Xanax, Metformin

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

If this is true why do you think I was never informed by a medical professoinal to not eat grapefruit?? I was prescribed 400mg of seroquel at one point.

There wasn't a little sticker on the bottle from the pharmacy about the grapefruit thing? Mine always had a sticker on it or, with some other meds it's in the simplified sheet (the one pager, not the million long one) of major interactions/warnings from the pharmacy that comes with each prescription. I always read that "Important Information" sheet at least, if not the long full prescribing info sheet.

I thought that was pretty standard of pharmacies? No?

Zyprexa Zydis 30 mg, Topamax 100mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Seroquel 400 mg, Provigil 200mg PRN, Xanax 1mg PRN

#8 In_Remission_bucket head

In_Remission_bucket head
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

Okay....this may sound like a joke but I assure you that it isn't. I started Seroquel yesterday, and today I can't stop drinking Fresca (ingredients: carbonated water, citric acid, grapefruit juice). Kind of forgot that Fresca's grapefruit-based. Strange little coincidence that I'm craving it at this point.

Bye-bye Fresca; hello water. Nevertheless, no unsightly head explosions here.

#9 Peregrine

Peregrine

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, rapid cycling with mixed states ; hypermobility syndrome ; fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, Seroquel, lorazepam, Yaz, Ventolin, hydrocodone, multivitamin

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

Thankfully I don't like grapefruit!

One other question, relatedly, is whether the "no grapefruit" warning also applies to Earl Gray tea and other things flavored with bergamot? Various sources seem to imply that the grapefruit issue is due to bergamottins in the grapefruit, in which case Earl Gray might cause problems. Partner's dad is on statins and has been told to not drink Earl Gray as a result, but I've never heard this warning for Seroquel. And, while I don't like Earl Gray (maybe I hate bergamottins?), there is one flavor of it that I'm very fond of.

Thoughts?
Current cocktail: lamotrigine (Lamictal) 400mg, Seroquel 12.5mg, lorazepam (Ativan) 0.25mg PRN, Yaz (birth control), Ventolin PRN, ibuprofen PRN, hydrocodone/APAP PRN, multivitamin and 1000 IU vitamin D daily.

Meds I can't/won't take: imipramine (and probably any other TCA), due to severe speech inhibition and slurring ; risperidone, due to lactation and other nasty side effects ; trazodone, as 1/4 of the smallest tablet (25mg, so 6.25mg) made me sleep 12-14 hours and be a zombie otherwise ; Cymbalta (despite it being awesome) due to postural orthostatic tachycardia.

We are the pilgrims; we shall go always a little further: it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, across that angry or that glimmering sea, white on a throne or guarded in a cave there lives a prophet who can understand why men were born: but surely we are brave, who make the Golden Journey to Samarkand. - James Elroy Flecker, "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"

#10 xbmcx

xbmcx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Anxiety, OCD, Eating Disorder
  • Current Meds:Saphris, lithium, Lamictal, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Klonopin

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Great, I just had some Fresca and didn't realize that it had grapefruit juice in it until I looked at the label to find out and viola, it does! :( Due to my awareness of its interactions with various drugs, particularly Seroquel, i started freaking out. In laymen's terms I had somewhere read/heard that it inhibits certain enzymes from breaking it down and metabolizing it normally, thus leaving more in the system and for longer. Three times as much? Is that that correct? Do I have anything to worry about? Or is it really going to affect my mood and functioning? I've already been having enough trouble as is, like I need one more thing to throw me off. 

Dx: Bipolar-NOS or I (depends who you talk to!), GAD, OCD, Eating Disorder - All, and possible ADD;

Rx: Saphris - 10mg, lithium ER 300mg, Lamictal - 100mg, Lyrica - 100mg TID, , Cymbalta - 60mg Klonopin - 1mg.

Past Rx (alone and in various combos): Zyprexa, Geodon, Risperdal, Abilify, Trileptal, Lithium, Neurontin, Luvox, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Strattera, Concerta, Trazadone, Xanax, Ativan, Buspar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog