Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Does Zoloft Take A While To Work?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ifreakouteasily27

Ifreakouteasily27

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, MDD, Psychotic symptoms, Insomnia
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 75mg, Seroquel150mg ,Ambien 5-10mg(long term use)

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

I switched to Zoloft from Lexapro about 3 weeks ago.  I started at 25mg and felt pretty down so i was upped to 50mg about 2 weeks ago.  I Felt a lot better the first week I went up but I've been feeling down, unenthused and lethargic this last week and it seems to be getting worse.  Should i go up again or just wait?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Demento

Demento

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Celexa 20 mg, Remeron 45 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Abilify 30 mg, Carbamazepine 800 mg, Ritalin 30 mg

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Yes, it takes time to work. Going up in dose will not necessarily make it work faster. You have to be patient because it can take up to 6-8 weeks to work.

EDIT: You still may have to go up in dose because you are still on a low dose. But you will always have to give it time before you can say whether a dose increase is working.

Edited by Demento, 27 May 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#3 TommyP

TommyP

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Lexapro

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

agree with Demento, it will take minimum 2 weeks for it to work at least.

by the way, did you experience any other side effect from zoloft ?

why does Doc prescribe you with Seroquel when you're GAD ? does it help?

Edited by TommyP, 28 May 2013 - 02:09 AM.

Seroxat 10 mg and Tranxene 5 mg since Jan 2012
Seroxat 7.5 mg and Tranxene 5 mg since June 2012
Seroxat 5 mg since Nov 2012
Seroxat 2.5 mg since Feb 2013
Seroxat 2.5 mg every other days March 2013 - got withdrawal badlyswitched to Lexapro 1.25 mg since April 2013
Off 21 April 2013 all med - heavy insomnia, taper with tranxene but got heavy paradoxical effect for a week of anxiety.
reinstate Lexapro 1.25 mg and 5 tranxene 4 May 2013
Lexapro 2.5mg + 2mg Klonopi + 2.5mg Zypraxa 10 May 2013
Seroxat 5 mg + 2mg Zypraxa 20 May 2013 + 5mg TranxeneSeroxat 5 mg +5 mg tranxene 27 May 2013 ( Anxiety got heavier )
Zoloft 25mg switched - 4 June(bad effect) , 5 mg lexapro switch June 19

#4 Ifreakouteasily27

Ifreakouteasily27

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm not even sure why I'm on Seroquel.. when I first saw the doctor I told her I was going through extreme derealization and depersonalization and I was afraid I was in a phsychosis..  she agreed that I was in a bit of a psychosis and put me on seroquel before even touching my SSRI.  Strangely, it did help.  Reality started to become more real within a week and anxiety calmed down a ton.  I'm supposed to stay on it a while longer though I guess. 

Also I'm not really sure if GAD is all I have, sometimes it seems like there's a lot more wrong.. I definitely get very depressed at time and sometimes it is very severe but only for a few weeks.  (I suspect, maybe she thinks I might be bipolar II ?)  I just dont know

3 doctors so far though have confirmed that Seroquel was a good move for the condition I was in.  I was in such constant panic I was asking to be hospitalized.  I dont know if that's normal or not but Seroquel did help snap me out of it.  I'm just feeling low now.

P.S I am starting regular release Seroquel tonight and going off XR, because a different doc told me I dont need to be on XR.  I'll let you guys know if that helps.

#5 silmarien

silmarien

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, PD w/agoraphobia, PTSD, ADHD, Chronic Insomnia, GAD, ED:NOS, Severe Chronic Migraines
  • Current Meds:Tramadol, Xanax (PRN), Klonopin, Sonata, Dexedrine, Fentanyl Patch, Dilaudid (PRN)

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

Are you in a Benzo-hating European country?  I'm confused as to why your docs haven't tried Klonopin (low doses) or maybe Xanax just for emergencies, maybe in addition to or instead of Seroquel.  Just wondering.  Hope the IR Seroquel helps.

#6 Ifreakouteasily27

Ifreakouteasily27

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

I tried klonopin before and it just made me depressed, I told her I didn't want another benzo.  I'm also afraid of becomming addicted to them.

#7 gilmourr

gilmourr

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Diagnoses:PD, MDD

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Zoloft takes about 4 weeks to start working for me.  It obliterates my depression, but leaves me in an apathetic/unmotivated state.  I think it's too serotonergic for me.  Abilify + Zoloft might be ideal.

But yeah, I would probably try to increase it to 100 mg and wait 4-6 weeks and once it starts demolishing the depression you can try and lower the dose bit by bit.  It's not a fun game trying to find the dose that's ideal, but it's what I did.  It takes time 

#8 TommyP

TommyP

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

i started zoloft for 6 days now. it always woke me up at 4 a.m. is this normal for zoloft ? when is this going to go away ? any advice ?

Seroxat 2.5 mg every other days March 2013 - got withdrawal badlyswitched to Lexapro 1.25 mg since April 2013
Off 21 April 2013 all med - heavy insomnia, taper with tranxene but got heavy paradoxical effect for a week of anxiety.
Seroxat 5 mg + 2mg Zypraxa 20 May 2013 + 5mg TranxeneSeroxat 5 mg +5 mg tranxene 27 May 2013 ( Anxiety got heavier )

#9 Ifreakouteasily27

Ifreakouteasily27

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Zoloft can cause some insomnia but it might help to try taking it at a different time of day, sometimes that helps people.  Some people tolerate it better in the morning, other do better in the afternoon, or evening.  I do best taking it in the AM as I find it to be a little stimulating.

#10 TommyP

TommyP

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

I took it in the morning , too
Did it wake you up early during the start?

#11 Ifreakouteasily27

Ifreakouteasily27

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

In the start I took it n the evening, I didn't have too much trouble sleeping (due to other meds I'm on) but I had wild wild dreams and I was very cranky and lathargic.  Once I switched over to AM (first thing I wake up I take Zoloft now) the crankyness and lathargy got much better and the crazy dreams started to calm down.  (which indicates it may be stimulating to take it in the evening, for me at least).  I don't really ever wake up too early though just because of the other meds..

But I have heard of people who actually prefer Zoloft in the afternoon/evening as they say it makes them drowsy, so you could probably at least try it later and see if that makes any difference, if it doesn't work out or makes insomnia worse, you can always just go back to taking it in the morning.

If troubling side effects and insomnia continue or are just too bothersome it's best to leave a message with your doctor and see if they have any advice. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog