Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Adverse Side Effects Of Escitalopram From Different Manufacturers?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RosieRags

RosieRags

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety Disorder, Fibromyalgia, Nerve Damage
  • Current Meds:Synthroid, Lisinopril, Clonazepam, Escitalopram

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have been on the name brand Lexapro in the past with very little adverse side effects. Five weeks ago I went to a new Pdoc after a mild return of anxiety. Pdoc prescribed Lexapro as it worked well for me in the past. I expected some mild adverse reactions, but not to the degree that they began on 10mg. Headache and nausea were expected, but not the extreme malaise that accompanied those side effects. Day 4 I had such a bad panic attack I had to leave work, it took me over an hour to drive home as I had to keep pulling my car over to try to get the shaking under control. (I haven't had a panic attack like that in 15 years) I went back to see my Pdoc and he told me all the generics were the same as the brand name and he wouldn't be able to convince my insurance company to pay for the brand name, so just reduce the amount to 5mg until I came back the following month.

After 4 weeks of this hell on 5 mg, as well as feeling like it was hard to breath, I decided to get a refill at a different Pharmacy location and see if there was something wrong with the actual pills. The second bottle of Escitalopram is stamped differently and after the first 5mg dose, I did not feel as bad as I had on the other pill. Day two, I forgot I was breaking them in 1/4's and took 10mg. I feel a bit of nausea, but still no headache and shaking and malaise.

Is it possible the differing manufacturers ingredients are so different to cause such an adverse reaction to one over the other? I truly felt like I was taking poison with the first one. How do I make sure I only get the second brand and how do I find out who manufactures it?

Thanks in advance,

Rosie

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 ArizonaMan

ArizonaMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 173 posts
  • Diagnoses:Combined Adult ADHD secondary to Anxiety NOS
  • Current Meds:bupropion XL 150 1x day & buspirone 15mg 3x day

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

http://www.crazymeds...-with-my-brain/

#3 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

RosieRags,

The link in ArizonaMan's post is to a large topic about generics vs. brand Lexapro. It's a great discussion with a feedback on different manufacturers and side effects. Take a look and see if you find what you're looking for.

#4 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

I go to Costco and have never have a problem with ordering a specific generic. CVS (besides being so damn expensive that I just paid twice as much for a med that I normally get at Costco) said they couldn't do it. I imagine smaller pharmacies would go the extrra mile for you. I've never tried Walgreens or Rite Aid. The bottle of the generic you had no problem with should have the generic name stamped on it...usually after the drug name sometimes there is no room to fit it so you just see initials. You pharmacy will know which generic they filled it with.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#5 RosieRags

RosieRags

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had read the thread that ArizonaMan linked me to, but didn't see any information on comparing two generics, just Lexapro and Escitalopram, it was 2 different Escitalopram I was taking. I just wondered if anyone had the type of reaction I had to one generic versus the other, plus the answer Val gave. I will try Costco for my next refills as it WAS CVS that filled both of the last two prescriptions, just different locations. I figure if my Pdoc wasn't willing to accept that the brand name drug may have a differing delivery system over the generic, he'll probably not believe I had better results with one Generic over the other...I guess I am just an idiot or crazy and he is the expert on how I feel. (sorry for the sarcasm, but I was soooo sick for 4 weeks, I felt like I was being poisoned)

#6 RosieRags

RosieRags

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Ah...I just found the generic manufacturer printed on the labels. The one that made me so sick was ???(hard to read) Teva USA and the one that is fine for me is MFR Lupin Pharmaceu!

#7 anasong4

anasong4

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Panic Disorder, Pure O
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, 40 mg.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

I also had Teva Escitalopram and had HORRIBLE side effects as well.  Panic and anxiety full blown.  It makes me feel glad that you had good luck with another generic because right now, I am fighting insurance to pay for brand name.  Some of the manufacturers, including Teva, make these drugs overseas, including places like India where the FDA hasn't even inspected.  It's utterly ridiculous.

Make sure to report adverse effects to the FDA.  If it's too confusing, and I know it is, contact your doctor.  Sometimes they are able to help you through the process.

Best of luck to you!

#8 RosieRags

RosieRags

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

A

I also had Teva Escitalopram and had HORRIBLE side effects as well.  Panic and anxiety full blown.  It makes me feel glad that you had good luck with another generic because right now, I am fighting insurance to pay for brand name.  Some of the manufacturers, including Teva, make these drugs overseas, including places like India where the FDA hasn't even inspected.  It's utterly ridiculous.

Make sure to report adverse effects to the FDA.  If it's too confusing, and I know it is, contact your doctor.  Sometimes they are able to help you through the process.

Best of luck to you!

Anasong, I found the link yesterday on reporting to the FDA, but wasn't sure if it was just me or the drug...I was actually looking to see if there was a recall on the TEVA Escitalopram, but didn't find anything on it. Now that you say that you also had a bad reaction, I will follow the links and see if I can fill out the report. 

#9 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraine, Anxiety, RLS, Akathisia
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Zofran, Protonix, Mirapex

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

I started on the Teva, and other than the usual start up side effects in the beginning, haven't had issues.  I have always felt that when you get stable on a certain manufacturer, stick with it.  It seems to be that people run into issues switching between manufacturers pretty often with various brain meds.  I wonder if the difference in inactive ingredients and potential slight difference in active ingredients just screws with us.  I do know that the fillers can get people into trouble if they have allergies - for example, some companies may use milk based products and another may not, and if you're allergic to milk, well, you may have one tough time with one drug over another simply because of a filler.

I'm not sure where the information about un-inspected manufacturing plants is coming from.  I have heard that before, and while a lot of drugs are made overseas (brand name and generic drugs for a variety of conditions), the FDA does inspections and such.  The FDA is FAR from perfect and I certainly have my own issues with them over how things have been handled, but the whole sentiment of "if your drugs come from India, you're going to get twigs and leaves" bothers me.  Anyway, this is probably not the thread for that.

#10 RosieRags

RosieRags

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

I started on the Teva, and other than the usual start up side effects in the beginning, haven't had issues.  I have always felt that when you get stable on a certain manufacturer, stick with it.  It seems to be that people run into issues switching between manufacturers pretty often with various brain meds.  I wonder if the difference in inactive ingredients and potential slight difference in active ingredients just screws with us.  I do know that the fillers can get people into trouble if they have allergies - for example, some companies may use milk based products and another may not, and if you're allergic to milk, well, you may have one tough time with one drug over another simply because of a filler.

I'm not sure where the information about un-inspected manufacturing plants is coming from.  I have heard that before, and while a lot of drugs are made overseas (brand name and generic drugs for a variety of conditions), the FDA does inspections and such.  The FDA is FAR from perfect and I certainly have my own issues with them over how things have been handled, but the whole sentiment of "if your drugs come from India, you're going to get twigs and leaves" bothers me.  Anyway, this is probably not the thread for that.

Actually VisualSnow, the Lupin manufactured drug also is made in India, so that is not an issue for me. I eat cheese and other dairy with no problem, I did look into what could be a filler that was causing the adverse reaction I was having and did not see anything there that could be the culprit. I was on Lexapro 3 years ago, but went off when my life was less stressful. When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, my Dr suggested going back on Lexapro as I am dealing with so many stressful things right now. I did not know Lexapro had a generic, but took it expecting the results to be the same as Lexapro. When I got so ill from Escitalporam#1, at first I was afraid there was something wrong with the batch, by my Pdoc poo poo'd that theory as well as the theory that the chemical delivery system was vastly different from Lexapro. If I had a choice, I would have gone back to what worked best for me previously. All I DO know is how I felt taking the first Escitalopram, and that was downright sick and awful.

Edited by RosieRags, 20 April 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#11 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraine, Anxiety, RLS, Akathisia
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Zofran, Protonix, Mirapex

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Actually VisualSnow, the Lupin manufactured drug also is made in India, so that is not an issue for me. I eat cheese and other dairy with no problem, I did look into what could be a filler that was causing the adverse reaction I was having and did not see anything there that could be the culprit. I was on Lexapro 3 years ago, but went off when my life was less stressful. When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, my Dr suggested going back on Lexapro as I am dealing with so many stressful things right now. I did not know Lexapro had a generic, but took it expecting the results to be the same as Lexapro. When I got so ill from Escitalporam#1, at first I was afraid there was something wrong with the batch, by my Pdoc poo poo'd that theory as well as the theory that the chemical delivery system was vastly different from Lexapro. If I had a choice, I would have gone back to what worked best for me previously. All I DO know is how I felt taking the first Escitalopram, and that was downright sick and awful.

Yeah, sorry I should have did separate quotes or something - part of that was in response to the other poster.

I had issues switching between manufacturers of generic topamax - those slight differences in the pills can make a huge difference in our body, especially if we are on multiple drugs and even more so if we have disorders that naturally make us more susceptible to medication side effects.

So here is Teva's inactive ingredient list:  corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, mannitol, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol and titanium dioxide.

And Lupin:  croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol 400, silicified microcrystalline cellulose, talc and titanium dioxide. 

So yeah, there are some differences (ingredients bolded, and then of course amounts of everything will be different), and maybe something there just changes how it's working for you.  I always try and fill with the same pharmacy, and they always tell me when the manufacturer is getting switched.  If they know I have to stay on one over the other, they will usually order it for me ahead of time.  Have you talked to your regular pharmacy about doing that?

#12 Prunella

Prunella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII, ADD
  • Current Meds:Daily: lamotrigene, 200 mg; paroxetine, 40 mg; alprazolam-.5 mg; Adderal, 5-10 mgs in the a.m.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Try the pharmacy in whatever grocer you go to. In my experience, their staff members change less often and thus are more likely to remember you and work with you when something changes or you have a special issue like having to get refills early because you're going on vacation.
Other conditions: COPD, from smoking; fibromyalgia, which started as polymyalgia rheumatica; scoliosis with leg length discrepancy; hypertension and hypercholestremia, both now controlled by medication; extreme klutziness (I can trip over my shoelaces while I'm barefoot).

Prior Meds: Paxil CR,* Lexapro, Effexor (none of which seemed to do any better than the Paxil)

Indian Summer

In youth, it was a way I had
To do my best to please,
And change, with every passing lad,
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know,
And do the things I do;
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you!
Dorothy Parker

#13 tubetvdude

tubetvdude

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Lexapro (generic)

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

I just got generic Lexapro manufactured by a company called Westward (or West Ward). I've never seen that company mentioned on these boards, but they appear to be located in New Jersey: http://www.west-ward.com/ I still have some actual Lexapro left, so I haven't started on the generic. I'll report back how it works for me.

#14 Johnny555

Johnny555

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Prozac, Librium

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Let me know how the West Ward works. I just got prescribed Lexapro after Name Brand Prozac pooped out on me(or seems to have pooped out). I always had a terrible time with generic Prozac, the stuff is junk. Nothing compared to name brand. So I would like to start off with name brand Lexapro. We filled a script with generic and are going to report that it does not work. Although I did get the Lupin brand that Rosierags mentions. I have noticed huge differences between different generic brands of Ritalin and Klonapin, and whenever I got ahold of the name brand of those drugs I was blown away by how much more effective they were. 

It's not cool. My Pharmacist, who is great, said she only has 1 person on name brand Lexapro. The rest are fine with the generic. Well, she only has 3 on name brand prozac, I am one of them, and the generic makes me feel like I am dying. I am not going to mess around with a generic that might screw me up when Lexapro could fix the problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog