Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Risperdal (Risperidone) Vs Abilify

Risperdal Abilify

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 silliwilli

silliwilli

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:biopolar 1, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Abilify

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I've been on Risperdol for 6 months with some odd side effects. It makes me drool while I sleep, decreases my sex drive and ability to orgasm (female), weight gain only in the belly but not limbs or face. Other than that it feels ok and I haven't had a manic episode in 6 months. I also quit smoking pot which was causing me to hallucinate.

So, I begged my psych to switch me to something else. I can't handle the sex part of it anymore and it's not helping with the fact that I'm always depressed and anxious. I had some crazy side effects to Wellbultrin where it made me feel heavy like drunk spins without the drunk part. I stopped taking it immediately.

Now he is trying Abilify. Has anyone had good experiences with just taking it without other medications?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 corlyn

corlyn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar one
  • Current Meds:400mg lamictal,2mgs klonopin,600mg seroquel xr,20mgs Abilify

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

risperdone didnt treat me so well either. it made me crazy dizzy just sitting down. gained weight that now that I'm off of it i am finally getting back to normal, partly due to the clonazepam killing my appetite and that i can move around without the fear of falling on my face. The plus side is it made my mania go away.

I haven't been on Abilify but my pdoc strongly recomends it but i cant afford it.  it sounds like some miracle drug though.  I've heard a lot of good things about it.  But I've never heard of it being used alone, its usually added to existing meds; mood stabilizers ect..

Its always an adventure finding the right mix.  I cant be on anti depressants because it sends me to the land of mania.

#3 forgetmenot

forgetmenot

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar type), GAD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Wellbutrin XL, Haldol, Saphris

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

Abilify was a miracle med for me...until it gave me issues with my tongue (after like a year and a half on and off of it, mostly on) and got really expensive so i had to ditch it. They discontinued their program that made it $25/month for a copay. Arg!

I have not taken it by itself though. I hope it works well for you!

current rx: wellbutrin xl 450 mg, lamictal 300 mg, Haldol 0.5 mg, Saphris 5 mg

celexa, prozac, navane, xanax, klonopin, vistaril, effexor xr, lithium, abilify, benztropine, buspar, risperidone, trazadone, cogentin, latuda

#4 Snoopy

Snoopy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
  • Current Meds:Clozapine 325mg, Abilify 10mg, Lamictal 500mg

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

I add a combo Abilify/Risperdal for a while. Didn't help.

On their own they don't help me either.

I just added abilify to my Clozapine/Lamictal coktail and it is starting to help!

Edited by Snoopy, 07 April 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#5 Simba Cub

Simba Cub

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective disorder of the depressive type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks
  • Current Meds:Alprazolam, Clozapine, Sodium Valproate, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm afraid I'm not much help on the whole Risperidone v. Aripiprazole thing. It was unlucky enough to experience some rather severe side effects on Risperidone: basically, it knocked me out, 100%. I'd take the pill and ten minutes later I'd be asleep for 14 hours, no way was I staying awake! Pity I didn't need a sedative, it would have been my wonder drug! Aripiprazole was ok, just not strong enough.

But yeah... biased man walking here!

Rich::

Diagnosed with: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Depressive Type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks

Experience in: Alprazolam, Aripiprazole, Bupropion, Chlordiazepoxide, Citalopram, Clonazepam, Clozapine, Dothiepin, Duloxetine, ECT, EMDR, Fluoxetine, Imipramine, Lamotrigine, Lithium, Lorazepam, Mirtazapine, Moclobemide, Olanzapine, Paroxetine, Procyclidine, Propranolol, Quetiapine, Reboxetine, Risperidone, Sertraline, Sodium Valproate, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine, Venlafaxine, Zolpidem, Zopiclone.

#6 Snoopy

Snoopy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Simba,

The sedative effect goes away very fast.

My first 2mg of Risperdal, I got akathisia in 30 minutes, scary.

#7 Simba Cub

Simba Cub

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective disorder of the depressive type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks
  • Current Meds:Alprazolam, Clozapine, Sodium Valproate, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Snoopy, I wish that were the case, but I gave it over a month to fade away and it didn't :( That and it never really worked for me :\

Diagnosed with: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Depressive Type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks

Experience in: Alprazolam, Aripiprazole, Bupropion, Chlordiazepoxide, Citalopram, Clonazepam, Clozapine, Dothiepin, Duloxetine, ECT, EMDR, Fluoxetine, Imipramine, Lamotrigine, Lithium, Lorazepam, Mirtazapine, Moclobemide, Olanzapine, Paroxetine, Procyclidine, Propranolol, Quetiapine, Reboxetine, Risperidone, Sertraline, Sodium Valproate, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine, Venlafaxine, Zolpidem, Zopiclone.

#8 Snoopy

Snoopy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

That's awful!

Risperdal hangover is far worse than any huge dose of bad alcohol.

#9 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar I

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Abilify did a good job by itself for me for the five months I was on it--though a couple months in I had to add Xanax for anxiety and then Cogentin for akathisia. The Cogentin at the dose I needed to control the akathisia messed with my vision. At that time it seemed like too many medicines and I quit them all. (And now look at all the drugs I need to feel good!)  When I inevitably ended up with mania I went on Seroquel and had like a zillion side effects, but no akathisia. I wouldn't hesitate to go back on Abilify if my Latuda conks out; I liked the energy it gave me and I know how to treat akathisia (from the Latuda) this time around.

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Luvox 100mg;  Lamictal 200mg;  

For sleep (rotating):   trazadone 50-100mg;  Lunesta 3mg;  Seroquel 50mg  

Prn: Xanax up to 3mg;

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel, Abilify,  Ambien,  Wellbutrin, Viibryd

#10 papertrees

papertrees

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective
  • Current Meds:Saphris 10mg, Lamictal 200mg,Topamax 200mg, Valium 10mg

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

Risperdal-- currently on it now. I've never felt more stable, albeit for the breakthrough mixed episodes I get, which is why I'm also on Depakote too. I feel as if I'm taking nothing, no side effects whatsoever. No weight gain, no leaky breasts, no sedation, no akathisia, no EPS. I'm only on 2mg so YMMV. I don't get really deep depressions and really high manias on it though. Oh, and no more psychosis.

Abilify- This was my go-to med for almost 4 years (on and off it, but mostly on). It didn't stop the mixed states. I was cutting myself a lot. It didn't stop manias and depressions either, which is why I always took it with Lamictal. I didn't gain any weight on it though, no akathisia, but I had EPS- my hands and heads would shake, so I needed a med to control that as well. I guess I stayed on it because my pdoc at the time thought it was the best med for me. Well, wrong! I'm glad I switched pdocs now and feel so much better on Risperdal.

Overall, I'm happy with Risperdal and really sorry that I didn't try it sooner. 

The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive.
To him
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god,
and failure is death.
Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create - so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating. -Pearl S. Buck

Visit my blog: http://paperskyscrapers.wordpress.com

#11 Simba Cub

Simba Cub

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

papertrees,

Always good to hear a success story :)

#12 papertrees

papertrees

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective
  • Current Meds:Saphris 10mg, Lamictal 200mg,Topamax 200mg, Valium 10mg

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

papertrees,

Always good to hear a success story :)

Thanks! 

I'm into making others feel more positive about these meds as most of what I hear are complaints.

There is a silver lining to MI, and now that I see it, I like sharing it too.

My advice for anyone is to continue the med-go-round until the best mix is found. At first, I didn't want to try Risperdal because it could potentially cause more weight gain than Abilify.

Haven't gained a pound.

I was also afraid to try Depakote, for fear of weight gain and hair loss. I've been on it a week (I know, too soon to tell) but I seem to be losing weight, and my hair is just fine.

Thanks for the encouragement!

The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive.
To him
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god,
and failure is death.
Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create - so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating. -Pearl S. Buck

Visit my blog: http://paperskyscrapers.wordpress.com

#13 silliwilli

silliwilli

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:biopolar 1, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Abilify

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

*Update* Thanks for all the input! So I've been on the Abilify for 4 days. I found it prevents me from sleeping or maybe it's because I started taking it when everyone is being active around a holiday? Anyways, I started taking it in the morning and that seems to help. For the first time ever I feel super positive. I have also been exercising a lot. So I don't know if the great feeling is isolated to the medication or just a change in my lifestyle. So far no side effects like restlessness or flu flopping tongue.

I can say that being off the Risperdol/Risperdone has made me lose weight in the stomach already. I've stopped having hunger pangs in the afternoon. Now, if only I could get my sex drive back. I'll try to update again by the end of 1 month taking Abilify.

#14 Donna

Donna

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

There are some patient assistance programs out there and even an app that is pretty cool.  It allows you to put in the medication name and then it will tell you if there are any resources for help. 

Thought i would give the link when there was talks of the expense.  It happens with a lot of drugs as we all know. 

#15 Brenndo

Brenndo

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I Disorder
  • Current Meds:Lithium; Lamictal; Wellbutrin XL; Risperdal; Xanax PRN; Inderal PRN

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

I think it's quite strange... I was tired with Risperdal only for the first few days... I take 0.5mg in the morning and at night and I never get sleepy.

It's also done fantastic things for me.

Diagnosis: Bipolar I Disorder with psychotic features
Current Medications: Lithium 1500mg; Lamictal 200mg; Wellbutrin XL 450mg; Risperdal 2mg; Omega-3 4000mg; Xanax 1mg PRN; Inderal 20mg PRN

My mind is always going, it's flowing like a raging rapid. I have no control as I slide down the waterfall and plummet underneath the deep waters of the bay. There is no appeasing the rapid, and as I slide along the rapid, all the people slip from my grasp. Then... suddenly, without any apparent reason - I approach the calm. I can think, I can breathe. I feel hopeful in the calm pond. And suddenly, the arctic air freezes me. The pond freezes and I cannot escape. I cannot think. I cannot move. My mind is dead.

Then warmth comes, melts the pond and I find myself once again in the raging rapids.

Such is my life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts