Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Lamictal For Insomnia And Anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 theultimatecrazydude

theultimatecrazydude

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression of some kind. Anxiety
  • Current Meds:20mg Lexapro, .5 ativan as needed, Seroquel 25-50mg

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Started seeing a psychiatrist two weeks ago.  She prescribed me Lexapro for depression and anxiety and remeron 7.5mg at night for insomnia.  The Remeron gave me restless legs and a hangove like  I never experienced before.  Today she kept me at 10mg of Lexapro and told me to start taking Lamictal for anxiety and sleep at night.  By reading this forum it doesn't look like a good choice.  Has anyone had any success with this type of diagnosis?  Do you think she is "experimenting" to see if I am bi-polar or something?  I told her I am often irritable and do not like people much very often so I don't know if that persuaded her to try it.  She did say she has been using it as a mood stabilizer and to calm anxiety.  I really do not think I am bi polar but who knows.  I do have bi polar relatives.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 theultimatecrazydude

theultimatecrazydude

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Basically this medication is no where near an insomnia or anxiety medication.  It is great for flaring up OCD episodes from my childhood and pooping my pants over a thunderstorm last night causing me to take a few ativans.

#3 Each Coming Night

Each Coming Night

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Diagnoses:Refractory Dysthmia, IBS, GAD, GERD
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin SR, Bromazepam, Diazepam, Lansoprazole, Melatonin & Clonidine

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

From what I've read it definitely is not an anxiolytic, but it does seem to work well for people with unipolar depression, as well as its more established indications for epilepsy and bipolar II.

It's notorious for causing insomnia and anxiety while titrating up, so maybe you could look at taking it in the morning along with the Lexapro and using the ativan to help with insomnia as needed.

Edited by Each Coming Night, 31 January 2013 - 10:36 AM.

“So everything lets us down, including curiosity and honesty and what we love best. Yes, said the voice, but cheer up, it's fun in the end.”

- Roberto Bolaño, 2666

#4 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

If I were you, I'd be looking for a new pdoc.

#5 Sunset Soon Forgotten

Sunset Soon Forgotten

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Diagnoses:asperger's, major depression, C-PTSD, panic disorder, fibromyalgia, Long QT Syndrome
  • Current Meds:Remeron (mirtazapine), Lamictal, Xanax, Zanaflex, and a handful of heart meds

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I agree with BlueHeron. Lamictal has been wonderful at obliterating my depression, but my anxiety has shot through the roof, and I'm very lucky if I get to sleep by 4 AM.

Many of my posts are edited or have typos because I often post from my phone. I do my best to edit before any responses have been made.

Current meds, which sort of work: Remeron (mirtazapine) 30mg hs, Lamictal 100mg bid, Xanax 0.5mg qid, Zanaflex (tizanadine) 2mg bid, and heart meds

Crazy Meds that didn't work, or made me worse, or had side effects from hell, or were discontinued because my pdoc was playing med roulette: (definitely incomplete, in alphabetical order, mostly but not exclusively by trade names): Agomelatine, Ambien, Amitriptyline, Ativan, BuSpar, Celexa, Clozapine, Cogentin (for oromandibular dystonia due to APs and AAPs), Depakote, Deseryl, Effexor, Imipramine, Klonopin, Lexapro, Lithium, Mellaril, Paxil, Perphenzine, Prozac, Risperdal, Tegratol, Triavil (at a different time than just amitriptyline or just perphenazine), Valium, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zopiclone, Zyprexa 

I'm a new day rising

I'm a brand-new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

But I'm a little divided

Should I stay or run away, and leave it all behind?
- foo fighters

#6 theultimatecrazydude

theultimatecrazydude

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

If I were you, I'd be looking for a new pdoc.

This may be the case. I asked her why she was giving me bi-polar medication and she claimed it would slow my thinking and anxiety down at night and she has used it before in her 30 years of experience. I knew it was a bi-polar med because I have a bi-polar friend on it and says its brilliant.

After our first meeting, I guessed after the Remeron failure she would go Seroquel since I mentioned it had been brought up by a general practitioner to me a while back as a med used for insomnia. I think I am stopping Lamictal today and at the follow-up bring up Seroquel again.

The only meds as of now that will definitely get me asleep are pretty much any benzo. But she told me that I was misusing benzos by using them as a sleep aid.

I would hate to have to go through finding a new doctor since my last psych sucked even worse and wouldn't step outside of ssri's or snri's. But it may come to having to wait another 8 weeks to get into to a new practice.

#7 EnergizerHoney

EnergizerHoney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 300mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1-3mg prn, Ambien 10mg prn.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

Yeah, lamictal for me had no effect on my anxiety/panic dx. I wish I did.
Bipolar 1, Panic Disorder
Lamictal 400mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1mg prn
Failed: all anti depressants

#8 Sunset Soon Forgotten

Sunset Soon Forgotten

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Diagnoses:asperger's, major depression, C-PTSD, panic disorder, fibromyalgia, Long QT Syndrome
  • Current Meds:Remeron (mirtazapine), Lamictal, Xanax, Zanaflex, and a handful of heart meds

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Actually Lamictal has helped a bit with racing thoughts and intrusive thoughts. But I still get anxious, and it doesn't help with sleep.

I'd advise you to stay on it until you see your pdoc. If you're on a very low dose, it will do no harm to just stop- at higher doses you'll run into discontinuation syndrome. But if you're still on a low dose, you aren't seeing the full effect yet.

Many of my posts are edited or have typos because I often post from my phone. I do my best to edit before any responses have been made.

Current meds, which sort of work: Remeron (mirtazapine) 30mg hs, Lamictal 100mg bid, Xanax 0.5mg qid, Zanaflex (tizanadine) 2mg bid, and heart meds

Crazy Meds that didn't work, or made me worse, or had side effects from hell, or were discontinued because my pdoc was playing med roulette: (definitely incomplete, in alphabetical order, mostly but not exclusively by trade names): Agomelatine, Ambien, Amitriptyline, Ativan, BuSpar, Celexa, Clozapine, Cogentin (for oromandibular dystonia due to APs and AAPs), Depakote, Deseryl, Effexor, Imipramine, Klonopin, Lexapro, Lithium, Mellaril, Paxil, Perphenzine, Prozac, Risperdal, Tegratol, Triavil (at a different time than just amitriptyline or just perphenazine), Valium, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zopiclone, Zyprexa 

I'm a new day rising

I'm a brand-new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

But I'm a little divided

Should I stay or run away, and leave it all behind?
- foo fighters

#9 Viceman

Viceman

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Diagnoses:Mood disorder NOS with psychotic symptoms, OCD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Latuda, Zyprexa, Klonopin

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

I agree, I just started Lamictal not too long ago and so far all it's done is increase my anxiety but... it does make me drowsy and helps with sleep.

I also take Melatonin or Xanax to help me sleep, if I can't. You're not misusing a benzo to go to sleep.. my pdoc prescribed Xanax to me at first FOR sleep.

Current dx: Mood disorder NOS with psychotic features, OCD

Past dx: Bipolar NOS, Schizoaffective, Bipolar II, ADD

Current rx: Lamictal 200 mg, Zyprexa 2.5 mg, Latuda 40 mg, Klonopin 0.5 - 1 mg PRN

Past rx: Lexapro, Seroquel, Abilify, Xanax IR and ER, Vyvanse, Risperdal, Celexa, Depakote ER

#10 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Lamictal is not sedating for many people so it has no utility as a sleeping med.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#11 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Lamictal is not sedating for many people so it has no utility as a sleeping med.

It may help the people for whom it is sedating. It just wouldn't be the best choice for people whose first concern is insomnia.

#12 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Considering for many it CAUSES insomnia I don't think it has any utility as a sleeping med. 

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog