Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Scared Of Latuda Side Effects...

latuda akathisia

36 replies to this topic

#1 spoondocks08

spoondocks08

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:BipolarII/Anxiety

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

Edited by spoondocks08, 10 May 2014 - 06:31 PM.

"Insanity is the only sane reaction to an insane society"

-Thomas Szas

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar I

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I've been on 40mg Latuda 5 months now. The only problem I have with it is, yes, akathisia. But it rarely happens to me at 80mg propranolol (Inderal). If I do get breakthrough akathisia, .05 mg benztropine (Cogentin) completely knocks it out in 45 not-pleasant minutes.

I had a headache for the first two weeks only. It's been weight neutral for me. It's not as mellow as Seroquel was for me--but also doesn't have its million side effects. Not as jittery as Abilify. All in all Latuda may have the fewest side effects of any drug, of any kind, that I've taken.

I think you'd find pretty scary possible side effects listed for most drugs and maybe especially for neuroleptics. (The whole idea of messing with your brain is scary in itself, no? Except the brain started the whole thing by malfunctioning in the first place.)

Edited by baseru, 15 June 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Lamictal 200mg;  Wellbutrin 150 mg;

For sleep (rotating):   trazodone 50-100mg;  Lunesta 3mg;  Seroquel 50mg  

Prn: Xanax up to 3mg;

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel,  Abilify,  Ambien, Viibryd, Chantix, Luvox

#3 nukesandchems

nukesandchems

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder I, PTSD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Seroquel XR, Depakote, Luvox, Requip, Prazosin, Lunesta, Klonopin

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

I know I have posted a few times about the akathisia. I went off of it because of this side effect. I found that I was doing much better on it and started taking it again. And after a few weeks of taking it, I'd just like to say that the akathisia has been MUCH MORE tolerable this time around. I am only taking 20mg and would like to step up to 40mg, so maybe talk to me when I do that? IDK. All I DO know is that it has changed my life so far. My depression is far less than what it was beforehand, and I am actually thinking rationally (for the most part). I can rationalize things I was dealing with in my depression like panic attacks over weird things. But the very best part is I'm working again. It's been a very positive experience. So there IS some good to this drug, I just think I need to work with the symptoms a little bit better, and relax myself through it. Telling myself it's horrible does me no good. Telling myself that the drug has changed my life for the better does me good. I guess it's just up to you as to what you can handle, and if the pros outweigh the cons or vice versa. Good luck with it!

Diagnosis: Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorder, PTSD, OCD, Fibromyalgia
Meds Now: 300mg Lamictal, 1000mg Depakote ER, 200mg Luvox ER, 800mg Seroquel XR, 1mg Klonopin (at night), 1mg Klonopin prn
Meds Tried: Serzone, Paxil, Lexapro, Doxepin, Neurontin, Ativan, Seroquel, Tegretol, Topamax, Effexor XR, Geodon, Valium, Zyprexa, Abilify, Lyrica, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Ambien, Remeron, Cogentin, Latuda, Lunesta, Propranolol ER

My cocktail has been tapered down to a few good meds! YAY!

#4 UpDownJunkie

UpDownJunkie

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Saphris, Risperdone, Lamictal, Clonazepam, Propranalol

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

I have been on Latuda for about 2 months. Pro's and cons. I've lost 60 lbs on it that I gained on Seroquel. My memory at first was amazing. I was remembering names of people I'd met 20 years ago, etc It is helping quite a bit with my symptoms

Cons:EXTREME HEAT INTOLERANCE.! When the ambient temp goes over 76 degrees I start feeling sick. At 80 degrees, my head is spinning, heart racing, fainting and light intolerance. I can't go out at any time between 12 noon and 9 pm. I live inTexas (nightmare temps) I'm basically house bound and feel like a vampire.
Even taking a hot shower for too long makes me feel sick. I'm afraid to take a bath.

Loss of short term memory. I lose my place in conversations. I forget things that happened ten minutes before. Words look weird. It's hard to read. Feel like I've lost 20 IQ points. It's a supermodel drug. Dumb as dirt and fashionably thin.

It's a cost/benefit kind of thing. I stay on Latuda because it helps with my BP I. So I've been living with a diminished social functions and interactions. I'm getting back my thinness but I have no one to show it off to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"When you're going through Hell, keep going" -Winston Churchill

#5 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

updownjunkie,

This is regards to the Saphris I take and not Latuda but I had the heat intolerance (though not as severe as yours) issue and after nine months, it has improved considerably though I didn't notice the improvement until about six months in so the improvement has been slow. But, I no longer feel like I'm going to die when the temp is 90 and I'm a person who loves the hot dry weather in Southern California. I take my walks early in the morning when it's cooler as it is still uncomfortable to exercise in the heat and yet I have also walked around when hot...its just better so I hope the same for you.

Current Meds: Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg,  Trazodone up to 300mg and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem, Celexa and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Benicar, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol and Nexium. 

#6 TheLakeShow

TheLakeShow

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Paranoid Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Depakote: 1000 mg, Latuda: 40 mg, Fanapt: 12 mg, Paxil: 60 mg, Strattera: 100 mg

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

I've been on 40 mg's of Latuda for about 2 months now. I have experienced a few side effects, such as the "mask-like expression," nystagmus (rapid eye movements), and Parkinsons-like effects. I've also experienced the heat intolerance. After exercising, or sitting in any type of heat, I do not cool down as quickly as I should. However, since I am on two AP's and Depakote, I do not necessarily attribute all the side effects to just Latuda. Overall, it's been a great drug and has helped me tremendously. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edited by TheLakeShow, 02 July 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#7 SpyGirl

SpyGirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, PTSD, GAD, Major Depressive Disorder, Insomnia
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 250mg, Cymbalta 80mg, Neurontin 1800mg, Klonopin 3mg, Trazodone 200mg, Ambien CR

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

I don't want to scare anyone, this is not the meaning of this post. I just want to inform people of what happened to me, and it can happen to anyone.

I started a trial pack of Latuda at 40mg. I was having some serious mixed episodes, so my ARNP thought this would be a good drug to try. She advised to up the med to 80mg after I was done with the 40mg pack. The reason for this was the mixed episodes were really bad and I had them for over a month (when you are ill, do you never really realize how ill until it gets so bad something makes it finally pop into your head? Yeah, that was me.)

So at day 5, in the afternoon (taking 40mg) I noticed I was unbelievably HOT. Like someone cranked up the temp and I couldn't do anything about it. I had 3 fans on me (we don't have A/C here except in cars. We would use it 3 days out of the year, heh.) and no relief. Day 6 and I wanted to climb the walls, barf, had an upset stomach no matter what I tried, and I was becoming very confused. Day 7 just made it much worse, but I started to become a little paranoid. I decided to start the 80mg sample pack, thinking that somehow these effects would subside (like when first taking SSRI's), but it only made things much, much, worse. I couldn't sleep but maybe 1 hour at a time. At one point, around 4am, I went and cleaned my bathroom. I was so restless I didn't know what to do! I took three days of 80mg Latuda, and then called my ARNP crying and upset over what I had done to myself. Thankfully (yesterday) I stopped the Latuda, and also had therapy.

I went to the pharmacy, completely upset, and had a talk with my pharmacist. She printed out the sheet for Latuda, and I had every single side-effect on there. I also had horrible headaches. THANK GOD the half-life was only 24hours.

Now my Pharmacist and ARNP are telling me to not put anything else in my body for at least a week, because they don't want me to become toxic (although I am allowed Tylenol in case I need it.)

Sorry this is so tl;dr - I just wanted to get it out there.

#8 bptabby

bptabby

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar disorder, ADHD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Pristiq, Vyvanse, Klonopin, Lunesta, Prozasin, Propranolol, Zyprexa (prn)

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

I am on 120 mgs of Latuda and have not really had any side effects. The good thing is I have lost 34 pds since starting it.

current meds:Latuda 160 mgs,  Pristiq 100 mgs, Vyvanse 70 mgs, Klonopin 4 mgs, Prozasin 4 mgs, Lunesta 3 mgs , Benedryl 50 mgs, Propranolol 320 mgs,

past meds: Abilify, Seroquel, Seroquel XR, Geodon, Risperdal, Invega, Latuda, Trilafon, Haldol, Lithium, Depakote, Depakote ER, Trileptal, Lamictal, Neurontin, Topamax, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Serazone, Effexor, Effexor XR, Klonopin,Trazodone, Remeron, Cymbalata, Restoril, Visteril, Xanax, Ambien, Ambien CR, Buspar,Ritilin, Ritilin LA, Concerta, Strattera, Symbyax, Valium, Prolixin, Clozaril, Strattera, Prolixin

#9 Lycopene

Lycopene

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Diagnoses:Paranoid Schizophrenia, Anxiety disorder, Asperger's, IBS, Tardive Dystonia, Tardive Myoclonus
  • Current Meds:Amitriptyline 50mg, Citalopram 40mg, Temazepam 30mg, Diazepam 15mg b.i.d., Benztropine 2mg b.i.d.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

I was on 120mg of Latuda... And then I developed TD. So depressing... Only med that worked.
Current meds: Amitriptyline 50mg, Citalopram 40mg, Temazepam 30mg, Diazepam 15mg b.i.d.

Previous meds: Sertraline, Lorazepam, Quetiapine, Olanzapine, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Trazodone, Mirtazapine, Propranolol, Hydroxyzine, Zolpidem, Risperidone, Clozapine, Paroxetine, Haloperidol, Latuda, Amantadine, Abilify, Benztropine

#10 winterberry

winterberry

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Anxiety, Hypothyroid
  • Current Meds:Depakote ER, Latuda, Cogentin, Klonopin, Levoxyl

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

I have been on Latuda for a little over a month I think. The akathisia was kind of strong, so I am now also taking Cogentin, which takes care of it. I have been on Depakote for a long time, which has kept me from having manic episodes. Adding the Latuda has been great, I actually feel a lot more stable and even happy (I have been so afraid to be happy for so long, thinking it might be mania).

I have been retaining water since I started the Latuda. Sometimes the scale goes up a couple of pounds, but if I remember to drink enough water my weight stays neutral. I don't think that's a common side effect and I hope it stops soon.

#11 MedHead

MedHead

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II low spectrum, GAD, obsessive OCD but no habits, dysthymic depression, PTSD
  • Current Meds:200 mg lamictal, 10-20 mg adderall as needed, vitamin B & D

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Does anyone know about Latuda side effects at less than 10 mg? I haven't found any comments online, have searched multiple forums via google. I'm extremely sensetive to all meds in all classes but being BP I still need one more mood stabilizer & AD. I tried Latuda 10 mg one year ago by cutting the 40 mg pill into quarters (though I wasn't on Lamictal yet) and found the cognitive and anti-dep effects positive but the extreme fatigue too intense to fight through. I'm now stabilized on lamictal (it's been a wonder drug for me, very few side effects) and am planning to add Latuda back in, theorizing that Lamictal might keep some of the sie effects of Latuda at bay.

So here are my questions:
1. If I cut the new 20 mg pill into quarters to start out on 5 mg per day, would this difinitively obstruct the efficacy of the medicine?
2. Must I take 40 mg minimum to feel positive effects and bypass the negative ones of this drug?
3. Is there anyone else out there who has taken the new 20 mg pill and cut it down to a smaller dose? If so was the med effective? And how bad were side effects?
4. I have far more anxiety and mild mania than depression. Anyone out there taking it more for anxiety than other issues?

Thank you

#12 carpemuerto

carpemuerto

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

I've been on it for about 5 days now. I'm cutting the 40mg pills in quarters, so I'm actually taking 10mg/day, but the drug interaction sheet says that diltiazem (which I take for high blood pressure) can increase the effects of latuda by a factor of 2, so I'm effectively taking 20 mg/day. My pdoc gave me a sample to try as a mood stabilizer (which I don't get, since this isn't even mentioned as an off-label use) since I was having bad disacontinuation symptoms coming off the last anti-depressant I tried. In the last couple of days my mood has seemed more stable, but it's hard to know if this is because the latuda is working or if it's because I'm getting over the withdrawal symptoms. So far I haven't noticed any negative side effects from the latuda.

#13 AshS

AshS

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar
  • Current Meds:Provigil, nadolol, latuda

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

I started taking latuda 20 mg two days ago. I used to take abilify. Abilify started out as my wonder drug. I'm bipolar and not particularly nice when I'm unstable. Within days of starting the abilify my then boyfriend ( now husband) was singing its praises. I felt great. Fast forward 4 years and I'm 80 lbs heavier. This is the first time in my life that I'm fat. And now I snore so I can't even share a bed with my husband. I've tried going off the abilify along the way. I tried saphris and geodon , both were terrible side effect wise. And now I'm trying latuda. I'm feeling so discouraged. I am unbearably anxious, worse than unmedicated, I am vomiting, I have a terrible headache. and i am oh so unstable. I am so sad I can't stop crying. Also my mouth is alternating between super dry and extra salivation. It's only been a couple days on this med but I feel worse than when I'm on nothing. But my appetite is vanished. So I'm assuming if I stick with it I might lose weight. Any advice?

#14 LSalandar

LSalandar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP 2, OCD
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Abilify 6mg, Trazodone 50mg

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

I think it is possible for some people to get therapeutic benefit from 20mg of Latuda. I am speaking in the context of stabilization of moods, not psychosis. I have had to cut my 40mg to 20 or 30 due to akathisia (I cannot take anything but benadryl to counter the effects, bc I am preggers). I take it for ADHD moodiness, being mean, anxiety (doesn't help much with that), and focus.

Edited by LSalandar, 19 December 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#15 Dookie

Dookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar or Depression w/Psychotic Features, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Latuda 80 mg, Strattera 80 mg

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Currently on 80 mg and feel it's too high. Has anyone else had a general restlessness and dull boredom from high levels of Latuda? Lower doses had no side effects for me.

Previous Meds

Zoloft-prescribed for post-partum depression. Didn't do sh*t and may have made my PPD turn into postpartum psychosis
Lexapro-took this with wellbutrin/risperdal - made me have weird side effects and didn't do sh*t
Zyprexa- felt like a million dollars and gained over 50 lbs.
Betablockers- prescribed for my heart, caused derealization?-like effects when I first started it
Prozac- allergic to it

Risperdal -works but makes me fat

Lithium-didn't work so well and weight gain

#16 nukesandchems

nukesandchems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder I, PTSD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Seroquel XR, Depakote, Luvox, Requip, Prazosin, Lunesta, Klonopin

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Currently on 80 mg and feel it's too high. Has anyone else had a general restlessness and dull boredom from high levels of Latuda? Lower doses had no side effects for me.

I didn't have a general restlessness - it was full out akathisia. If you feel it's too high, talk to your pdoc about it. :)

Diagnosis: Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorder, PTSD, OCD, Fibromyalgia
Meds Now: 300mg Lamictal, 1000mg Depakote ER, 200mg Luvox ER, 800mg Seroquel XR, 1mg Klonopin (at night), 1mg Klonopin prn
Meds Tried: Serzone, Paxil, Lexapro, Doxepin, Neurontin, Ativan, Seroquel, Tegretol, Topamax, Effexor XR, Geodon, Valium, Zyprexa, Abilify, Lyrica, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Ambien, Remeron, Cogentin, Latuda, Lunesta, Propranolol ER

My cocktail has been tapered down to a few good meds! YAY!

#17 Fallrisk777

Fallrisk777

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder, PTSD, depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Celexa

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have been taking 40mg Latuda for 8 days switching from Seroquel 100mg because of excessive weight gain. I have been having full on akathisia. Last night was horrible I just keep pacing and crying. I need the meds to help me sleep, not the opposite. I called my doc but I haven't gotten any response as of yet. Does anyone know of a weight neutral drug that doesn't cause the akathisia? I really need to lose weight but I don't want to feel this way! Help!

#18 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar I

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Again, yes akathisia is truly miserable. It can, however, be treated. I thought it was well worth the additions to my drug list to be able to stay on Latuda. At 14 months on Latuda I have zero akathisia and it's still weight neutral.

As for the Seroquel 100mg is not a therapeutic dose (except for sleep--and the FDA frowns on that application).

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Lamictal 200mg;  Wellbutrin 150 mg;

For sleep (rotating):   trazodone 50-100mg;  Lunesta 3mg;  Seroquel 50mg  

Prn: Xanax up to 3mg;

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel,  Abilify,  Ambien, Viibryd, Chantix, Luvox

#19 Luna-

Luna-

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP 1, hypothyroid
  • Current Meds:Lamictin 400mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, trazodone 200mg, thyroxine 0.2mg, loprazolam 2mg prn

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

I have been taking 40mg Latuda for 8 days switching from Seroquel 100mg because of excessive weight gain. I have been having full on akathisia. Last night was horrible I just keep pacing and crying. I need the meds to help me sleep, not the opposite. I called my doc but I haven't gotten any response as of yet. Does anyone know of a weight neutral drug that doesn't cause the akathisia? I really need to lose weight but I don't want to feel this way! Help!

My pdoc switched me from Seroquel (caused weight gain and akathisia at only 100mg) to Geodon. Lost weight and no akathisia = much better. That said, Seroquel was the only thing that pulled me out of a deep post-manic depression after 8 months of despair. So if I had to, I would go back to it and grit my teeth with the SEs. There are other weight-neutral AAPs, don't know which but if you read around here you'll find them. Never tried Latuda so I can't say anything about that.

Pharmaceutically Enhanced

"Every journey is unique and the task is not to become normal but to become who you are and who you are called to be." - Patricia Deegan

#20 unknown

unknown

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I (Rapid Cycling), ADD, Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia and Generalized Anxiety
  • Current Meds:In the midst of a change...

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

I've been on latuda for a month now, 40mgs. I haven't had any terrible side effects (i have more saliva) and feel great. I'm taking it for bipolar, and it pulled me out of a moderate depression. I feel like one of the lucky people who has it work it's magic - so far. In my own research, it seems it works well for people with no effects, or it works but causes akasthesia, and then doesn't work at all with side effects. I suppose this happens with most drugs, but for me, currently, it's a wonder drug. I take it, sleep well, feel fine when I wake up and I don't even feel like I'm taking anything.

Past Meds:  Zoloft, Effexor, Zyprexa, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Imipramine, Buspar, Remeron,  Amitriptyline, Trazodone, Prozac, Ativan, Lamictal, Seroquel, Latuda, Lithium, Dexedrine.

#21 Secret Bipolar

Secret Bipolar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Lamictal, and Valium

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

Has anyone had excessive hair loss due to this drug?  I just went back on it after trying it last summer.  I thought it was causing hair loss and quit taking it.  I was also taking a supplement called DIM (female estrogen blocker) and quit taking it as well.  My hair loss greatly reduced.  My doctor put me back on the supplement after about two months, and within two weeks, my hair was falling out again.  It obviously seems that DIM was the problem, but I can't help feeling paranoid that the Latuda was contributing. 

I don't want to quit taking it because it works wonders for me; I just am curious if anyone else has experienced hair loss.  If I hear very few of you have, it would definitely decrease my paranoid state.  Speaking from a woman's point of view, losing your hair is very traumatic.

Secret Bipolar

#22 AnxietyGirl74

AnxietyGirl74

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, panic without agoraphobia, general anxiety, depression
  • Current Meds:Prozac, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Xanax XR

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

I don't know that I am necessarily experiencing hair loss from it, but I do know that each time I go to get my hair cut I'm told it's shedding badly.  Like not where I see gobs of it coming out in the tub, but where they see a lot of it when they are washing my hair at the salon.  But I do love the way latuda works on me so I'm not sure what I would do if it comes to that, honestly.

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know, right now, you can't tell, .but wait a while and maybe then you'll see, a different side of me." Matchbox Twenty

#23 Secret Bipolar

Secret Bipolar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Lamictal, and Valium

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

I take 120 mg of Latuda.  I have been watching for the last month, and so far, I have not lost hair like when I was on it the last time.  I am hoping I am in the clear.  I see that, you too, have lost some hair.  I have lost hair on Paxil before as well; I noticed you were taking that.  I guess it is really hard to tell which drug causes what.  I know I can't take more than 200 mg of Lamictal without hair damage.  Thanks for responding to my post.

Secret Bipolar

#24 daisie

daisie

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective, Borderline, Asperger's, Panic Disorder w/Agoraphobia, ADHD, OCD, SAD
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Wellbutrin, Adderall, Topamax, Ativan.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

I've been on Latuda since the month it came out, switching from Geodon because I had long QT syndrome. Without meds, I am an extremely manic, psychotic, delusional, out of control schizophrenic with crazy wild mood swings. On Latuda, you'd never even know I'm sick. AND, I have had zero side effects. None. Not a one. I would swear I was taking a placebo if it weren't for the fact that I'm nuts on the days that it's missing from my meds mix (I'll be getting out of control, then someone will tell me that oh, we're out of Latuda and need to run pick up more, and sorry for not telling you- I have a caretaker who does my meds and fills up my box every week and makes sure that I take them).

So- Latuda has been side effect free for me from day one and provides immense relief for me. I have a genius level IQ and didn't experience the loss of cognitive function with Latuda that I did with Topamax/dopamax. Topamax made me feel like a first rate idiot, and it took about a year for my brain to adjust to it. I take 120 mg of Latuda and my only complaint is the expense. It is an amazing antipsychotic and has totally revolutionalized my life (and I swear I don't work for the company either). I had been getting it free from the company for a little while because I currently have no income, and I'm trying to get that set up again with my new p-doc, so if you don't have insurance and need to be on Latuda but can't because of the expense, the company is willing to work with you. Your doctor has to write to the company and apply on your behalf.
Current psych meds:
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

Meds of days gone by:
Seroquel (I refuse to get fat again), Geodon, Saphris, every one of the benzos (my body hates them all), most of the SSRI's and tricyclics, Dexedrine, and I have lots of experience with the anticonvulsants (husband has a brain injury).
As of September 2013, I have gone off of my antipsychotic, Latuda, because I just can't freaking afford $1000 a month. I also said goodbye to Celexa, and I'm also off of my Topamax. Also off my Adderall, the lack thereof which is giving me huge impulse control issues leading me to overdose and end up in repeated comas. No fun at all.

What makes me crazy:
Schizoaffective: bipolar, rapid cycler, treatment resistant depression, and my schizo psychosis will knock your socks off. Or eat them. Or take them out to lunch. Asperger's, ADHD, Panic Disorder w/ Agoraphobia, OCD, and seasonal affective disorder. And my biggie is borderline, which supercedes them all.

"They say I'm crazy, but I have a good time."
~Joe Walsh

#25 Scotty S.

Scotty S.

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-Polar/Depression
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Clonezepam, Doxipin,

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

I have been on Latuda now for 5 days. I started on 40mg for one week. I have 2 more days of 40mg then need to increase to 80mg. I have not noticed any side effects as others have mentioned. Matter of fact I am less anxious. My anxiety has decreased, and my depression is much better, I am more bearable to be around and not as intrusive to others.  I like the way it has made me feel. However yesterday I had an episode where I got fixated on things. I was fixated on spots on the floor, freckles on my friends face, her tattoo, spots on the wall, pieces of paper on the floor, dirt spots on the wall, and spots on the counters, etc, etc, etc,... I couldn't take my eyes off these certain things. It was like I was in a trance and stuck on these things. I felt like I was hallucinating. Has this happened to anyone else please let me know, please respond to me and tell me about it. I originally took my meds in the daytime when I first got up, but I also had eaten after taking them. This one day I did not eat and waited till later in the day to take them. I am now going to wait until it is time for me to go to bed before I take them just incase this happens again. It freaked me out, I thought I was going to have to call 911. I was home alone and in fear for my life.  I was afraid of being left alone.  Then I laid down and forced myself to fall asleep. After about an hours nap, I woke up and felt fine. What was that, that I experienced. Any help please. 

#26 Dookie

Dookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar or Depression w/Psychotic Features, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Latuda 80 mg, Strattera 80 mg

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

I've never experienced that, but u haven't been on the latuda very long. Give yourself some time to adjust to it.

Previous Meds

Zoloft-prescribed for post-partum depression. Didn't do sh*t and may have made my PPD turn into postpartum psychosis
Lexapro-took this with wellbutrin/risperdal - made me have weird side effects and didn't do sh*t
Zyprexa- felt like a million dollars and gained over 50 lbs.
Betablockers- prescribed for my heart, caused derealization?-like effects when I first started it
Prozac- allergic to it

Risperdal -works but makes me fat

Lithium-didn't work so well and weight gain

#27 PinkRoses12

PinkRoses12

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety disorder, OCD, Depression, ADHD, Paranoia
  • Current Meds:Pristiq 100 mg, Vyvanase 140 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Tradozone 100 mg, Xanax 2 mg

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hi Everyone!

I have been taking Latuda for for over 2 months. I started with 20 mg and worked my way up to 80 mg. I have been on the 80 mg dose for over a month.

I don't seem to experience any side effects at this point. When I very first started taking it I would get a bored feeling where nothing interested me but that is totally gone now!

I have lost about 17 lbs since I switched from saphris and continue to loose weight. I do have some akathisia but it really doesn't bother me much. The main thing is that I am constantly moving my feet like tapping them. But I have gotten so used to it that it feels normal.

On the positive side, I feel much more calm.
Through the difficulties to the stars!
Never despair.

#28 hologram

hologram

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

I've been on Latuda for about one month. It's helped with the depression and I'm able to get more things done which is amazingly awesome for me. I fall asleep fast at night (if I try to stay up after I've taken it, I get really dizzy and kind of nauseous) and I sleep very deeply. So I'm pretty amped up for the first few hours after I've woken up in the mornings. I agree about the short term memory loss. But I've experienced that with most of the antidepressants and antipsychotics that I have tried over the past year and a half.  

#29 StephenR

StephenR

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:Psychosis NOS
  • Current Meds:Latuda (60mg)

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

I've tried risperdal, zyprexa, haldol, seroquil, and saphris for my hearing voices (no diagnosis yet, possibly schizophrenia). Latuda is the latest drug I've tried, and it is a miracle drug for me, as none of the others had done anything at all to alleviate my symptoms. I've been taking Latuda for the past two weeks and am currently on 60mg, will probably be moved up to 80mg next appointment.

I've decided I'm going to start taking my dose at night because of the side effects. I get restlessness, but nothing too unbearable, and I've lost weight since switching from saphris, something I'm actually a little upset about because I'm a skinny guy and it was the first time I've ever had a normal appetite, but mainly what I'm trying to avoid is the anhedonia, lethargy, and lack of interest I get when taking Latuda during the day. Today is the first day I'm doing this, and let me tell you it is great! I have energy for the first time in 2 weeks! I was actually able to go to the gym today and want to be there! I actually feel normal, like my old self, which is awesome! I think taking it at night is going to work out much better for me.

I can't stress enough how great of a drug this is! No more voices for this guy after 2 1/2 months of constant bombardment. It feels great to finally find something that works, and on top of that finally figure out when I need to take it to start to feel normal again.

#30 DukeLover

DukeLover

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:SchizoAffective
  • Current Meds:Latuda, and Zoloft

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

I didn't read the posts just saw that it was a hot topic and wanted to let potential users of latuda know that not only did this drug transform my life but saved it.. I have been schizoaffective since 2003 and suffered minor issues from it in high school til then.. I think I can say I have tried everything… The best drug for me from 2005 til 2009 was Geodon.. it was incredible.. minor cognitive issues but I was great still.. muscle stiffness though.. so I could no longer be a competitive runner on it.. no weight gain.. awesome drug.. if it works for you make sure you get enough calories when you take your meds.. I accidentally went off it by not getting enough food.. after that it was crap for me even at higher doses.. at the higher doses I suffered significant cognitive impairment.. I was a professional artist and I could no longer do my work or write the way I used to.. I was so depressed.. I thought my life was over.. anyway.. I ended being hospitalized for over three months total two years ago and finally they let me try latuda.. WOW!!!! I can't praise this drug enough… I have all my cognitive abilities back that I had in high school.. I can articulate myself well again.. have access to my vocabulary again and have all my artistic capabilities back.. my doctor almost cried when he saw my work after I was on latuda.. I'm doing so well I'm starting my own web based company with all the digital design I was able to study again over the past two years.. don't be afraid to try this drug..  I also have less muscle stiffness then I did on Geodon so I can run again.. although my only complaint is I'm tired a lot so when I exercise.. I sleep a lot.. but it's ALL worth it to have my old pre illness self back.. best wishes to you all in your journey..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog