Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Seroquel Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Diagnoses:mdd, gad, ocd
  • Current Meds:Pristiq 100mg lamictal 150mg, klonopin 0.5mg, adderall 60mg, seroquel xr 50mg (sleep) abilify 5mg

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

I would like to know if anyone is able to lead a functional, coherant, life and feel good while taking seroquel. My doc has had me on seroquel xr 50mg for 6 weeks.

On paper, this drug should be perfect for me. Cover racing, intrusive thoughts, anxiety, insomnia, and depression... and help keep me calm.

But the sedation, and cognitive & mental dulling are truly messing with me. My mind is hazy until early afternoon, even though I get myself up at 8am. I'm finding it hard to maintain my daily commitments, or even think clearly.

The drug is actually making a decent impact on all the above symptoms... but it's staggering me. Should I give it more time, up the dose, etc?

Any thoughts/advice/opinions would be great ...

The truth has no friend

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Ferdy

Ferdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, PD w/severe agoraphobia, PTSD, OCD
  • Current Meds:For brain cooties: 15mg Remeron, 3mg Klonopin, 20mg Prozac, 25mg Atarax

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi BengalTiger (that my team's mascot, LSU!!!!----Geaux Tigers!!!!),

My doc told me that at the lower doses (under 150-250mg/day), it is a good augment for depression, anxiety and insomnia. I've tried it and it made me feel similar to how you feel, but only at 12.5mg/day IR (need to update my sig line), not XR. I believe that higher doses tend to be more activating than the lower ones. He said he reserves dosages higher than 250mg/day for its true AAP properties, for BP 1 & 2, SCZPH, and the more serious forms of brain cooties--

Currenty vascillating back and forth between Seroquel and Abilify---can't decide if I like either one of them, actually---

Edited by Ferdy, 27 March 2012 - 11:52 AM.

BRAIN DX: Treatment resistant unipolar MDD (major depressive disorder), GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), PD (panic disorder) w/severe agoraphobia, PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), OCD (obsessive/compulsive disorder)

PHYSICAL DX:  hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia (this all adds up to metabolic syndrome X---yeah, I'm a walking heart attack)

CURRENT BRAIN MEDS: 15mg/night Remeron (mirtazapine), 3mg/day Klonopin (clonazepam), 20mg/day Prozac (fluoxetine), 25mg/night Atarax (hydroxyzine)

CURRENT PHYSICAL MEDS: 25mg/night  Tenormin (atenolol), 100/25/day Hyzaar (losartan/hctz), 1250mg/day Glucophage (metformin), 20mg/day //@lipitor// (atorvastatin), 1000mg/day Niacin (nicotinic acid)

PRIOR UNCONVENTIONAL BRAIN TREATMENT MEDS:  Seroquel (quetiapine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Namenda (memantine HCl---yes, I've even tried an Alzhiemer's med---for it's action on the glutamatergic system as a glutamate antagonist)

PRIOR CONVENTIONAL BRAIN MEDS: YES, MY MEDICINE CABINET LOOKS LIKE A PHARMACY!  All the SSRI's (completely intolerable) except Lexapro (escitalopram---barely tolerable) and Prozac (fluoextine---best of the bunch, far from great, but it's the one I've gone back to), all the SNRI's (intolerable)---and now add Viibryd (vilazodone) to the list, Desyrel (trazodone) (caused severe hypotension and palpitations, PVCs, PACs), Neurontin (gabapentin---ineffective), Atarax  (hydroxyzine----ineffective but good as a sleep agent), BuSpar (buspirone---probably the nastiest poison I've ever taken), and the med shown in my avatar...OMG WATTA DRUG---lucky for me they outlawed that one...it's now classified Schedule I in the USA...it is sorely missed cause I know for damned sure IT would work...it's hard to be anxious and depressed when you're taking what is essentially heroin in pill form...and if you don't know what it is, you're showing your youth, lol!  And before you comment or ask why, the TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants) and the MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) are OUT of the question for me, due to the high risk of potential cardiac side effects...

#3 Claire

Claire

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-Polar OCD GAD Insomnia (non med caused!) Panic Disorder
  • Current Meds:700mg Quetiapine, 40mg Fluoxetine, 10mg Tamazepam 7.5mgs Zopiclone and Diazepam 5mg PRN

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi BengalTiger,

I'm on a (very) high dose of Seroquel - 700mgs split between 100mgs in the morning and the rest at night. When I was titrating up I did suffer from the tiredness and general fuzzy headedness but as I have increased the dose I have found that its easier to go to sleep at night (although I do supplement with sleep meds) and I can get up in the morning feeling ok. The positive effects have been great and have gone a long way to stabilising my horrendous mixed states. I have had to add lamotragine to try and combat the depression side though.

Claire
Somedays, it's simply not worth chewing through the restraints...

Previously Rx'd
Moclobemide - Pooped out on second attempt.
Abilify - Flipped me out X2
Zopiclone - mmmmm sleep...
Prozac/Fluoxetine - Mania
Effexor/Venaflaxine - Migraines and Mania
Lofepramine - Ridiculous sweating, but did work Pdoc says all tricyclics will have same effect
Lithium
Sodium valproate
Cymbalta - sugar pills
Tegretol (UGH!!)

#4 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Current Meds:Pristiq 100mg lamictal 150mg, klonopin 0.5mg, adderall 60mg, seroquel xr 50mg (sleep) abilify 5mg

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thanks, Ferdy and Claire...

I'm likely going to give it a bit more time. My doc says that theoretically, 100-200mg would be less sedating than 50mg... & possibly more effective. And it is not yet an AAP at that dose range, so no D2 antagonism.. = good.

But if the cognitive problems persist, it's got to go. And the sedation itself can be depressing. I cannot afford to spend 11hrs a day sleeping... and write off the day at 7pm. There is too much I have to do.

We're thinking of switching to abilify... I'll do it in a heartbeat ... I only hope it helps my anxiety, not worsen it.

The truth has no friend

#5 Ferdy

Ferdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Current Meds:For brain cooties: 15mg Remeron, 3mg Klonopin, 20mg Prozac, 25mg Atarax

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

BengalTiger,

Check with your doctor, but I would limit the attempted augmentations to just Abilify and Seroquel and (maybe) Zyprexa---but Z is very sedating, possibly even more so than Seroquel, plus weight gain is usually worse too. Geodon and Risperdal will lock onto dopamine receptors VERY tightly and usually result in MUCH increased anxiety---which I'm sure you don't want----my doc won't consider those for that reason, but others here have used them with success----

BRAIN DX: Treatment resistant unipolar MDD (major depressive disorder), GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), PD (panic disorder) w/severe agoraphobia, PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), OCD (obsessive/compulsive disorder)

PHYSICAL DX:  hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia (this all adds up to metabolic syndrome X---yeah, I'm a walking heart attack)

CURRENT BRAIN MEDS: 15mg/night Remeron (mirtazapine), 3mg/day Klonopin (clonazepam), 20mg/day Prozac (fluoxetine), 25mg/night Atarax (hydroxyzine)

CURRENT PHYSICAL MEDS: 25mg/night  Tenormin (atenolol), 100/25/day Hyzaar (losartan/hctz), 1250mg/day Glucophage (metformin), 20mg/day //@lipitor// (atorvastatin), 1000mg/day Niacin (nicotinic acid)

PRIOR UNCONVENTIONAL BRAIN TREATMENT MEDS:  Seroquel (quetiapine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Namenda (memantine HCl---yes, I've even tried an Alzhiemer's med---for it's action on the glutamatergic system as a glutamate antagonist)

PRIOR CONVENTIONAL BRAIN MEDS: YES, MY MEDICINE CABINET LOOKS LIKE A PHARMACY!  All the SSRI's (completely intolerable) except Lexapro (escitalopram---barely tolerable) and Prozac (fluoextine---best of the bunch, far from great, but it's the one I've gone back to), all the SNRI's (intolerable)---and now add Viibryd (vilazodone) to the list, Desyrel (trazodone) (caused severe hypotension and palpitations, PVCs, PACs), Neurontin (gabapentin---ineffective), Atarax  (hydroxyzine----ineffective but good as a sleep agent), BuSpar (buspirone---probably the nastiest poison I've ever taken), and the med shown in my avatar...OMG WATTA DRUG---lucky for me they outlawed that one...it's now classified Schedule I in the USA...it is sorely missed cause I know for damned sure IT would work...it's hard to be anxious and depressed when you're taking what is essentially heroin in pill form...and if you don't know what it is, you're showing your youth, lol!  And before you comment or ask why, the TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants) and the MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) are OUT of the question for me, due to the high risk of potential cardiac side effects...

#6 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Thanx, Ferdy, and yes .... Geaux Tigerz! Saturday nights in Baton Rouge are .... surreal, hypnotic, pure adrenaline ....

Anyway, My doc and I agree. Nothing other than Quel or Abilify... or possibly lithium. Risperdal nearly threw me over the edge, and my doc is not big on Zyprexa or Geodon.

I need to be careful with AAP's because of the interaction with vyvanse.

If Merck can make non-drowsy Claritin, you would think AZ could formulate a non-drowsy seroquel ... since sedation is one of the worst problems with it. Why create a med with such a debilitating liability? I know it's not that simple ....

Edited by bengaltiger, 29 March 2012 - 02:37 PM.

The truth has no friend

#7 Ferdy

Ferdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Well, I take it you live in Louisiana, or at least are from here! Good luck to you AND our beloved Tigers!!!

#8 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

I would like to know if anyone is able to lead a functional, coherant, life and feel good while taking seroquel. My doc has had me on seroquel xr 50mg for 6 weeks.

On paper, this drug should be perfect for me. Cover racing, intrusive thoughts, anxiety, insomnia, and depression... and help keep me calm.

But the sedation, and cognitive & mental dulling are truly messing with me. My mind is hazy until early afternoon, even though I get myself up at 8am. I'm finding it hard to maintain my daily commitments, or even think clearly.

The drug is actually making a decent impact on all the above symptoms... but it's staggering me. Should I give it more time, up the dose, etc?

Any thoughts/advice/opinions would be great ...

Yes - our old Mod, Anna. Look for her posts. The key was a very regimented lifestyle: strict diet, exercise, routine, sleep, etc. You can't get off schedule of when you take the pills, either.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#9 ci317

ci317

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Diagnoses:Ultradian Rapid Cycling Bipolar, Insomnia, Hypersomnia
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Abilify, Ritalin IR

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

I lead a great life now that I am on Seroquel. The past 6 years have been hell, but I'm very stable now. I had been on seroquel before only at 50mg, now I take 400mg and it's great. I see you have effexor listed in your meds, has your doctor given you a diagnosis of depression or bipolar? This would steer what drugs you try in the future. Also vyvanse could be screwing with your anxiety and ocd, I would talk to your doc about if it is necessary to take.

#10 historymum

historymum

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:200mg lamotrigine; 300mg quetiapine IR; Agomelatine, 50mg; thyroxine, 125mg

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

I had the same problems on quetiapine XR. I got as far as 150mg - I was a dribbling idiot. I switched to IR and found it to be completely different. I'm now taking 300mg and it's great. It's perhaps worth a go before giving up on it?
Previous dx: postnatal depression

Failed med's: Sertraline, Citalopram, Trazodone, Olanzapine, Quetiapine XR, lithium, Abilify

#11 historymum

historymum

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • Current Meds:200mg lamotrigine; 300mg quetiapine IR; Agomelatine, 50mg; thyroxine, 125mg

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I've just remembered something: I think that quetiapine can cause these problems in two ways:
1) be highly sedating so that you have a fuzzy brain because you are still sleepy. I've had this and it improves over time. A brisk walk or a cup of coffee helps.
2) slow your thinking down so much that, even when you're wide awake you just can not make the thoughts 'happen.' I experienced this with the XR. It was bizarre - I'm a Uni lecturer and I can usually talk freely for an hour, but the XR just stopped the thoughts joining up and i struggled to find the words. It was the most frustrating thing in the world. It felt like someone had wrapped my brain in cotton wool. It felt very unnatural. I was aware that something was stopping me thinking. I'm starting to realise that the IR (at 300mg) is doing this. I can do everyday stuff no problem, but just can not do my work at all. I'm going to bring the dose back down (my pdoc leaves me to move between 250mg and 325mg, depending on how i'm sleeping/feeling.)

Failed med's: Sertraline, Citalopram, Trazodone, Olanzapine, Quetiapine XR, lithium, Abilify

#12 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thank you all for your insight.

Historymum... I've had the same reaction to XR vs IR. The IR at least wears off while XR just throttles you continuously. But, I think I'm going to stick with it. Your 2 posts have me confused... is it good or bad for you?

Claire and jm82 have given me hope to keep on. I realize being @50mg is sort of no-man's-land... I'm hoping at 150-200mg things will get better... re:sedation, inability to think clearly, etc. Plus be more effective.

Thanx Dymphna... I will study Anna's posts.

Has anyone used both abilify and seroquel ... and found one better than the other?

The truth has no friend

#13 Ferdy

Ferdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'm currenty vacillating back and forth between Seroquel and Abilify---but have decided just today that Seroquel is not the right one---for me, anyway. It just doesn't make me feel very good---and gives me that "stoned---duh" feeling which I cannot stand. I'd rather be depressed and anxious---

So, I'm going to give the S a few days to clear and try Abilify (again). It seems to be more activating, which doesn't really help my anxiety, but does keep my mind sharp anyway----

#14 historymum

historymum

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Sorry! Even now, twenty-four hours after my last dose of quetiapine, I'm struggling to write cogently so I'm sorry for not making much sense. It's just struck me today, as I tried to work and got no where, that what I was experiencing was the same as when I was on the XR. So I still think it's great, but my own limit seems to be some where under 300mg.

#15 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm currenty vacillating back and forth between Seroquel and Abilify---but have decided just today that Seroquel is not the right one---for me, anyway. It just doesn't make me feel very good---and gives me that "stoned---duh" feeling which I cannot stand. I'd rather be depressed and anxious---

So, I'm going to give the S a few days to clear and try Abilify (again). It seems to be more activating, which doesn't really help my anxiety, but does keep my mind sharp anyway----

I'm in the exact same dilemma, with the same options. In fact, my MD wants me to give abilify a shot. I've taken it before at 2mg... and there is no question it helps my depression... quickly. But it gave me a weird sort of energy.

My only concern is increased anxiety, agitation. I would be curious to know if abilify actually ever HELPED anxiety/agitation for people.

The truth has no friend

#16 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Sorry! Even now, twenty-four hours after my last dose of quetiapine, I'm struggling to write cogently so I'm sorry for not making much sense. It's just struck me today, as I tried to work and got no where, that what I was experiencing was the same as when I was on the XR. So I still think it's great, but my own limit seems to be some where under 300mg.

Historymum ... You've got me confused once again, lolz... You say you're struggling to write cogently, and could not work.... even 24 hrs later. But you still think it's great?

How are you able to tolerate this?

The truth has no friend

#17 Ferdy

Ferdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Me too!!!

I'm in the exact same dilemma, with the same options. In fact, my MD wants me to give abilify a shot. I've taken it before at 2mg... and there is no question it helps my depression... quickly. But it gave me a weird sort of energy.

My only concern is increased anxiety, agitation. I would be curious to know if abilify actually ever HELPED anxiety/agitation for people.

#18 historymum

historymum

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

Historymum ... You've got me confused once again, lolz... You say you're struggling to write cogently, and could not work.... even 24 hrs later. But you still think it's great?

How are you able to tolerate this?

Yes, I'm in a state where I can barely do my job. I'm an academic: whilst I can do the teaching and admin crap, my research work is at about 10% the normal productivity rate. How do I tolerate this? Mostly, it's out of fear. Last time we reduced the quetiapine down (August 2011), I hit the most hellish low. I never, ever, ever want to get anywhere near that again. So I keep on going because I'm too afraid to try something else. Every med change has been awful, and stopped me working completely for a while. Plus, a couple of the med's made things worse. So I plod along figuring that 10% research time is better than nothing, and barely living is better than dead.

I wish I could work through different med's in a logical manner, and have some rational criteria for deciding when to try something else. Unfortunately for me (and others?), such decisions are so wrapped up in emotional crap that it probably seems utterly irrational to those on the outside. If there were another med that seemed to be a logical/attractive option, I might be more inclined to try it; but last time I spoke to my pdoc the suggestion was lithium, which scares me as much as reducing the quetiapine.

PS Sorry, I don't mean to take this thread off course, but if anyone has managed to find a way of emotionally detaching yourself from such medication-related decisions, I (and surely others?) would leav to hear about it.

#19 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thanks, Historymum... I very much appreciate your thoughts ... and feel badly you have to deal with this.

So the seroquel functions as an antidepressant for you? Anything else... anxiety, racing thoughts, etc? May I ask which meds you have tried as a replacement? ... and which made things worse? Abilify?

I just began abilify, and it's really given me a jolt. I'm trying to figure it out.

You sound like a great candidate for a stimulant i.e... Adderall, vyvanse, etc.

Things will get better for you ...

Edited by bengaltiger, 09 April 2012 - 08:03 AM.

The truth has no friend

#20 Ferdy

Ferdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Well, I just restarted Abilify, too. I am starting to think that I prefer it over Seroquel, but this will be my last try---if I don't feel better in a month, back to pdoc to decide next course of action. He has mentioned lithium to me as well---says that it really is the "gold" standard of mood stabilizers and has been around a long time with a good and safe track record, but I am still wary of it and will probably refuse it. He has even mentioned trying OTC meds like SAM-E----

We'll see how it goes

#21 historymum

historymum

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thanks, Historymum... I very much appreciate your thoughts ... and feel badly you have to deal with this.

So the seroquel functions as an antidepressant for you? Anything else... anxiety, racing thoughts, etc? May I ask which meds you have tried as a replacement? ... and which made things worse? Abilify?

I just began abilify, and it's really given me a jolt. I'm trying to figure it out.

You sound like a great candidate for a stimulant i.e... Adderall, vyvanse, etc.

Things will get better for you ...

How's the Abilify doing? What do you mean when you say it's given you a jolt?

Yes, the quetiapine has very strong antidepressant properties for me above 200mg. It's also been brilliant for my anxiety and racing thoughts, which are part of the anxiety.

It just seems that I can not find the right level where it does all this without slowing my thoughts down too much. It's a pain as otherwise I have very few side effects. (The weight gain was a problem at first, but it settled down and, overall, I only gained 5lb. Since hitting 300mg, my appetite has been reduced.)

The drugs that made things worse:
antidepressants (sertraline, citalopram) - hypomania, anxiety through the roof.
extended release quetiapine - turned me in to a dribbling idiot
lamotrigine has helped, but the 3 month long titration was awful. Each increase brought terrible anxiety, SI, racing thoughts. It hasn't been the wonder drug I hoped it would be.

As you can see, I haven't tried many med's and I've never tried anything as a direct replacement for quetiapine. I would like to be able to keep the quetiapine at a lower dose and have something else to supplement it, but I really haven't got a clue about what might suit me.

#22 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

@Ferdy... Good luck. Have you had any increased agitation or anxiety? What dose? I look forward to hearing your progress!

@Historymum ... I don't know what to make of it yet. Yesterday it made me horribly agitated... very bad night. But Saturday it made me feel drugged and numb. There is no consistency. And trouble sleeping. It's a tired but wired feeling.

I feel as you do about seroquel. I've actually come to like it... really good for anxiety/racing thoughts. I've overcome the sedation at 50mg, but that is not touching my depression. My pdoc says my limit would be 200mg max.. If it is indeed less sedating in that range, I may reconsider it. I got thru the hardest part.

I'll reiterate, vyvanse, adderall or provigil could really help you.

The truth has no friend

#23 Ferdy

Ferdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

@Ferdy... Good luck. Have you had any increased agitation or anxiety? What dose? I look forward to hearing your progress!

I'm starting out with 1mg/day/mornings---splitting the 2mg tablets. Only my second dose this day. So far it seems to be "alerting" but not particularly "stimulating"---maybe a slight increase in anxiety but not much---Lex and Klonopin keep that under control, usually. Slept OK last night, but went to bed nauseated----but I'm almost 100% sure that was NOT from the Albilify, I ate too much popcorn watching "The Godfather", LOL!! I don't remember ever getting nauseous the first time I tried it, so pretty sure it was the popcorn.

Doc tells me it takes 2 weeks to have full effect, and wants me to go up to the full 2mgs at that time---but we'll see---

Also, Abilify has a very long half life of 75 hours, so takes awhile to build up when starting it----

#24 historymum

historymum

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

I thought I'd update this, in case it's of any use to others....

I reduced the quetiapine down to 250mg six days ago. (Just a reminder - this is OK with pdoc.) The result:
- I can focus a lot better. I am actually managing to get some work done, but I can tell that it could be better.
- I have realised that the quetiapine was acting as both a mental and emotional straight jacket. Just simple things, like feeling warm and snuggly with my kids, and feeling a bit cheesed off. It's shocked me to realise how numb I've been.
- What usually forces me to put the quetiapine back up is that around day 4 of a dose reduction, my sleep goes belly up and my mood comes crashing down. In an act of desperation, I tried Bach's Rescue Remedy sleep tablets - they have been working brilliantly.
- The only problem is that my anxiety is rising a bit.

So...I'm looking to get the dose down a bit further - I could take a bit of foggy thinking, but I won't take that kind of emotional bluntness. The fact that my sleep is still OK is, I think, the main reason why my mood hasn't dropped. I see my pdoc on Tuesday and will discuss this with her then. I just need something to keep the anxiety under control.

#25 bengaltiger

bengaltiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

@

I thought I'd update this, in case it's of any use to others....

I reduced the quetiapine down to 250mg six days ago. (Just a reminder - this is OK with pdoc.) The result:
- I can focus a lot better. I am actually managing to get some work done, but I can tell that it could be better.
- I have realised that the quetiapine was acting as both a mental and emotional straight jacket. Just simple things, like feeling warm and snuggly with my kids, and feeling a bit cheesed off. It's shocked me to realise how numb I've been.
- What usually forces me to put the quetiapine back up is that around day 4 of a dose reduction, my sleep goes belly up and my mood comes crashing down. In an act of desperation, I tried Bach's Rescue Remedy sleep tablets - they have been working brilliantly.
- The only problem is that my anxiety is rising a bit.

So...I'm looking to get the dose down a bit further - I could take a bit of foggy thinking, but I won't take that kind of emotional bluntness. The fact that my sleep is still OK is, I think, the main reason why my mood hasn't dropped. I see my pdoc on Tuesday and will discuss this with her then. I just need something to keep the anxiety under control.

Hi historymum... How did your appointment go? Thanks for your post. Are you going to completely come down off seroquel or just lower the dose? Apparently it works well for depression in your case.

What indications were you taking it for?

The truth has no friend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog