Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Concerta - Puts Me To Sleep Immediately

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LadyNimrodelle

LadyNimrodelle

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Zoloft, Abilify, Ambien, Trazodone, Concerta

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hi all,

So I was just diagnosed with ADHD (thank God - that explains SO much) and my PDOC put me on 18mg of Concerta to start with, saying it was least likely to make me manic (I'm also Bipolar). Well, it sure as hell doesn't make me manic - it knocks me out! About an hour after taking it I start to feel extraordinarily tired and the feelings of fatigue and sleepiness last the 12 hours the med is supposed to stay in my system. I slept all day yesterday.

So my question is, does this go away in time? Does it mean my dosage is too low? Too high? Would Adderall be better? I know these meds affect everyone differently, does anyone else have experience with their ADHD meds putting them to sleep?

Thanks for any help,

LadyNimrodelle

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Yes, I get this sometimes with both dexedrine and with caffeine. In fact, just this morning I took 45 mg of dexedrine, drank 2 cups of coffee, and an hour later I fell into a deep sleep. Some people with adhd find that the meds calm the hyperactivity enough to help them fall asleep. I'm guessing this 'paradoxiacal' effect is stronger for people who have a lot of hyperactivity symptoms (like me). I'm extremely fidgety, and the dexedrine helps calm me down physically, which is why I sometimes fall asleep on it.

What I have found is that if I am well-rested, I won't fall asleep. But if I didn't get enough sleep the night before and I'm feeling tired before I take my adhd meds or caffeine, then I will fall asleep. Also, for me, stimulants don't make me alert if I'm sleepy or tired. They help calm me down physically and help me focus, but they won't keep me awake. They certainly are not a substitute for a good night's sleep. So if you are not getting enough sleep, don't except the concerta to help wake you up or keep you alert.
Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#3 LadyNimrodelle

LadyNimrodelle

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Zoloft, Abilify, Ambien, Trazodone, Concerta

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

I perhaps should have mentioned that at the time the doc prescribed the Concerta, he told me not to have caffeine - said it could make my heart race, so I started this med at the same time as I quit drinking my habitual copious amounts of coffee - so this may have something to do with my inordinate fatigue. I gave up today and had one cup of coffee this morning, waited a couple of hours and then took the Concerta - this seemed to help, I'm a little sleepy, but I can at least function today.

Any other thoughts?

#4 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

I perhaps should have mentioned that at the time the doc prescribed the Concerta, he told me not to have caffeine - said it could make my heart race, so I started this med at the same time as I quit drinking my habitual copious amounts of coffee - so this may have something to do with my inordinate fatigue. I gave up today and had one cup of coffee this morning, waited a couple of hours and then took the Concerta - this seemed to help, I'm a little sleepy, but I can at least function today.

Any other thoughts?

Caffeine withdrawal, definitely. Start drinking coffee again, and then taper it down slowly, like you would when discontinuing any drug. We oftentimes forget that caffeine is a drug like any other.
Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#5 adbsunny227

adbsunny227

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, Low-grade dysthymia, ADD
  • Current Meds:Concerta XR, Buspar, Lamictal and occasionally anti-histamines

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

I am now on Concerta XR after taking Adderall and feeling stressed/moody ...  after the 4th day, started to get very tired.

My guess since I'm not a PDOC, is to either up the dose, or try a different stimulant.

Or, maybe go back to Adderall and take the extended release.

Focused but tired sucks!

Keep trying, my doctor told me they can work differently on different people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog