Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy
Photo

What Do You Take If You Still Get A Migraine On Topomax?

Topomax; migraine

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bjennae

bjennae

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraines/ High BP
  • Current Meds:Maxalt, Topomax, Verapamil

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Since some people still get migraines on Topomax, what do you take? I have a script for Maxalt but that makes me tired too. Don't want to be catatonic.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

Alcohol in large quantities?

No, seriously... Naproxen. But you can only do it rarely or you'll kill your kidneys.

If you're still getting constant migraines on Topamax, either it isn't the drug for you, or you need your dose adjusted. I have a weird-ass variant migraine (24-7-12 in the absence of Topamax) that doesn't stay at bay w/o 400mg of the stuff. And even then, peri-menopause is a bitch and I get one every couple/few months or so.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#3 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

You can try adding propranolol. I take both. I started with propranolol which helped a little and topa knocked them out.

Current Meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin.

#4 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraine, Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Zofran, Protonix

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

How much of a reduction have you gotten? 50% reduction is considered a successful prophylactic in many practices. Even with a very successful preventative, it's likely that you'll still get a migraine from time to time. You can choose to use your abortive, and/or choose a med to cover the pain (e.g. Excedrin). If you are still getting frequent migraines, you could consider an adjunct to the Topamax or an alternative if it's not doing anything for you. You should always have an emergency kit for breakthroughs though. Maxalt isn't the only abortive option - have you tried others?

I also have chronic migraine (a day withOUT one is pretty damn rare) and can't take triptans due to the type I have. Usually a pain killer plus Benadryl or Dramamine is what I take when things get really bad.

#5 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Compazine is a very effective emergency med that will kill a migraine.

I still get one once every month or two.

Current Meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin.

#6 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Compazine is a very effective emergency med that will kill a migraine.

I still get one once every month or two.

Ah yes. Reglan too, though I think both are more effective for that if given via IV vs. oral. Oral can still be helpful though.

Once every month or two? That must be heavenly...

#7 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Oh god, yeah.

#8 luckycloverchic

luckycloverchic

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, Severe Depression, Migraines
  • Current Meds:Zoloft, Xanax, Topiramate, Verapamil, Indomethacin, Zofran, Vicoprofen, Dilaudid

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

I usually take vicoprofen or dilaudid (if I'm at work) to ease pain when I get a migraine. I currently take topiramate (topamax) and propranolol as preventatives but get breakthrough migraines pretty regularly. Not nearly as bad as before, but I couldnt function without something for pain when they do break though. I cant take any of the triptans due to side effects and steroid treatments end badly with me also....but either of those may work well for you.

#9 DivineChaos82

DivineChaos82

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety NOS, Chronic Insomnia, Fibromialga, Migraines, Movement disorder
  • Current Meds:Xanax, Zoloft, Temazapam, Riperdone, Topamax, Trazadone,

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

I also suffer frequent migranes despite Topamax. I had them 6 days out of the week (avergae) pre-treatment, now with the Topamax I am still having 4-5 a week, along with the mental capacity of a crayon. Sadly my lovely pain management drs don't seem to think migranes are a legitamat (sp?) sourse of pain. I am given 10 mg Hydros... which does jack squat but make me itchy and more nauseated. I have also noticed my muscle tics have increased in intensity and frequency since starting topamax... anyone else have that issue?

#10 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

If you are not getting good relief on Topamax and have given it enough time, have you talked to your doc about switching to a new preventative? There are lots out there. Pain management is a tricky situation with migraine. Pain killers can and will cause rebound if you use them more than 2-3 days per week. When you have a migraine nearly every day (I do too), it's really hard and a delicate situation because it's so easy to get stuck in rebound and make things worse.

As for the muscle twitching - could it be hydration or electrolyte issues? Topa likes to mess with the kidneys.

#11 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

I have to drink Pedialyte every day.

d

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#12 iloveblackberryjam

iloveblackberryjam

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, JME, ADHD, PTSD, Insomnia, HTN
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Keppra, Adderall, Seroquel, Ambien, Valium

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

Valium works for me, if regular NSAIDS don't touch it. Have you tried regular aspirin? BB

#13 iloveblackberryjam

iloveblackberryjam

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, JME, ADHD, PTSD, Insomnia, HTN
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Keppra, Adderall, Seroquel, Ambien, Valium

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

As for feeling "dumb", Keppra (low dosage, 500mg x2daily) brings my brain & speech back to normal. It actually makes me much "smarter". I'd be miserable without it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions