Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Sodium Valproate Vs Lamictal- Please Help?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 guest1

guest1

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar 2
  • Current Meds:lexapro 10mg, lamictal 50mg

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi guys,
I am feeling quite distressed at the moment so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have bipolar 2 which was diagnosed 2 years ago and since then I have been really unstable and trying one medication after another.
I did go ok on zyprexa for a while but unfortunately stacked on a huge amount of weight very quickly with it.
Most recently I tried lithium for 6mths but I just kept cycling between weeks of having severe depression and coming up to just below normal.
I had my psychiatrist appointment today and he gave me the option of going onto sodium valproate or lamictal- as I did not know anything about either I let him decide and he went with SV because it is a lot cheaper than lamictal ( here in Australia). When I got home from the appointment I have been madly looking up info on both drugs. And now i am thinking maybe it would be better to try lamotrogine instead of SV.
From what I can see it is better for rapid cycling and better for depression ( I suffer much more from depression) and is also weight neutral.
What do you guys think- should I try the SV or go for the lamotrogine?
I am worried about wasting more time and putting on more weight on SV and I don't mind paying more for the lamotrogine if it possibly is going to work.
many thanks.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Sweetest1

Sweetest1

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1 rapid cycling , PTSD, Anxiety disorder NOS
  • Current Meds:clonazepam 1.5mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, ativan .5mg prn, Epival/Depakote 1250mg

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

the Sodium Valproate won't do anything for depression. Lamictal is pretty much the gold standard for bipolar depression. I'd fork out the extra money and go that route instead. Just my opinion, of course.

I am not a doctor - I am just an !diot.
Nothing I say should be considered as medical advice.
These are merely my personal opinions; of which there is a seemingly inexhaustible supply.

Previous Meds: Zeldox/geodon, risperidone, seroquel, effexor, topamax, lithium, zyprexa, cipralex, trazadone

#3 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 624 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, escitalopram

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Having taken both, I agree with Sweetest1. Depakote left me feeling flat. I was on it for over a year in 2000-2001, during which time I had no manic episodes (I was put on it because I was coming off a doozy), but I didn't feel anything else, either, including happy...ever.

Over the last few years my main problem has really been moderate depression with occasional fairly brief switches to hypomania. If I pay attention, I can nip the hypomanias with increased Seroquel, which just leaves the depression. Lamotrigine has been a miracle for that. Hands down the best med I've ever tried.

Give us this day our daily meds:150 mgs lamotrigine, 75 mgs topiramate, 150 mgs Seroquel XR, 100 mgs Seroquel IR, 12.5 mgs Ambien CR, 15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3. Azelastine spray for allergies.

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN.

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#4 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hi guys,
I am feeling quite distressed at the moment so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have bipolar 2 which was diagnosed 2 years ago and since then I have been really unstable and trying one medication after another.
I did go ok on zyprexa for a while but unfortunately stacked on a huge amount of weight very quickly with it.
Most recently I tried lithium for 6mths but I just kept cycling between weeks of having severe depression and coming up to just below normal.
I had my psychiatrist appointment today and he gave me the option of going onto sodium valproate or lamictal- as I did not know anything about either I let him decide and he went with SV because it is a lot cheaper than lamictal ( here in Australia). When I got home from the appointment I have been madly looking up info on both drugs. And now i am thinking maybe it would be better to try lamotrogine instead of SV.
From what I can see it is better for rapid cycling and better for depression ( I suffer much more from depression) and is also weight neutral.
What do you guys think- should I try the SV or go for the lamotrogine?
I am worried about wasting more time and putting on more weight on SV and I don't mind paying more for the lamotrogine if it possibly is going to work.
many thanks.

Lamictal is supposed to be better for bipolar II and depressive symptoms than SV.

But I am on SV and I LOVE it. It has done so much for my anxiety. I used to be such an incredibly anxious person, but I don't feel anxious at all anymore. Also, I haven't had any side effects. From what I've read, lamictal is more likely to cause cognitive side effects than SV. I also haven't had any weight gain or hunger on SV, but technically lamictal is supposed to be more 'weight neutral' than SV. I also do feel much happier (mostly as a result of the decreased anxiety) since starting SV.

Edited by metatrix, 19 March 2012 - 05:23 PM.

Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#5 guest1

guest1

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar 2
  • Current Meds:lexapro 10mg, lamictal 50mg

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thank you guys so much for your replies- it is so wonderful to be able to get feedback and reassurance. I now have enough confidence to contact my psychiatrist with my concerns and hopefully will try lamictal - fingers crossed it works out this time
thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog