Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Best Tca For Depression & Fibromyalgia?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Beckett

Beckett

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II, GAD, brain cooties, chronic fatigue, peripheral neuropathy
  • Current Meds:Lithium, tramadol, Xanax XR, gabapentin, adderall

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'm considering TCA's and nervous about side effects having tried doxepin one time and flexeril (related compound). I have been thinking about Surmontil or Tofranil. I'm concerned that my doc might want to try Elavil because of the heavy side effect profile I have been reading about. I seem to be very medication sensitive. I am attracted to Surmontil because it preserves sleep architecture and to Tofranil for possible energizing effects. I deal with fatigue alongside of pain.

Thank you for any input.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

I found Elavil to be excellent for pain relief but it was pretty sedating.

Current Meds: Lexapro 10 mgs, Topamax 300 mgs, Seroquel XR 200 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs x3.

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin.

#3 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

I tried Elavil in the early 80's first for depression and then at a very small dose for fibromyalgia because I couldn't take the extreme sedation of the anti-depressant dose. I did not find either the higher or lower dose to do anything at all for the fibro pain .....obviously NR had a completely different experience. My own experience with fibro was that once I found good sleep with trazodone, the pain greatly diminished and to this day, as long as i sleep, I can tolerate the pain. It quickly becomes unbearable when I stop sleeping.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#4 Beckett

Beckett

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Thanks NR and VAL.

VAL, I agree about the relationship between sleep and pain being so critical to fibromyalgia. I have two types of pain which fibromyalgia amplifies, OA/degenerative disc pain and peripheral neuropathy. I wish the Saphris I take was enough to insure my sleep, but it isn't. My sleep is still fragmented, and I have onset difficulties, early awakenings, etc.

The Surmontil which protects sleep archecture might keep me too tired throughout the day. Fatigue nearly tops pain as a symptom. I was checked for chronic fatigue at one point if that illustrates the degree of fatigue I can endure during bad cycles.

Tofranil might disturb my sleep? I don't know.

Thanks to you both. Hope you are doing well.

#5 hammer of dusk

hammer of dusk

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD w/ agitated features or BP NOS, GAD, migraine
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Nortriptyline is more activating than amitriptyline/Elavil, and also used for pain.

I have debilitating fatigue from depression, and this has gotten me up off the floor and able to hold a job again.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Strattera 40mg, nortriptyline 25mg, Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, diazepam 5-10mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac.
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine

#6 Beckett

Beckett

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

HOD, which has more NE action, the nortriptyline or Tofranil? I am trying to remember what I read. I am careful about stimulating too much NE. I believe I can be sensitive to it. It's a bit maddening, but too much stimulation, and I go tilt, even though I need it badly.

#7 Beckett

Beckett

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Nortriptyline is more activating than amitriptyline/Elavil, and also used for pain.

I have debilitating fatigue from depression, and this has gotten me up off the floor and able to hold a job again.

Thanks. I did look this up. It would be energizing. I'm glad it got you up and going. Oh this is so maddening. I see my GP this week and then my pdoc. I am just going to solicit opinions and experience here, ask them, then hope for the very best. I have a dependent child, and I need to be at least halfway together. Oh yikes.

#8 Beckett

Beckett

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

I found Elavil to be excellent for pain relief but it was pretty sedating.

Nurse Ratched, does this sedation mean 24 hrs sedation? Do you feel drowsy during the day, or have you dialed your dose in just right? I see amitriptyline in your signature. I am trying to avoid too much NE action which I imagine might be disruptive. My doc might have another idea.

#9 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

If I take it in the afternoon, around 5 or six, I don't experience daytime sedation.

Current Meds: Lexapro 10 mgs, Topamax 300 mgs, Seroquel XR 200 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs x3.

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin.

#10 Beckett

Beckett

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thank you. That's important for me to know. Night time sedation is most welcome here.

Edited by Beckett, 21 March 2012 - 07:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts