Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Nothing Working Very Well

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD-I, GAD, asthma
  • Current Meds:CRF 100/30mg q.d., Concerta 54mg q.d., Flovent 220mcg b.i.d., Ventolin p.r.n.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Aight. Let's see if I can make this short. (Also, I'm not sure where this thread goes, so feel free to move it if necessary.)

Okay. 22 years old (as of this past Wednesday :mad:), male, Hispanic/white, 6'1", 140 lbs. etc. Diagnosed by a psychologist and separate psychiatrist with GAD. My anxiety has bad situational spikes however. Diagnosed by said psychiatrist with ADHD-I via neuropsych test (can't remember which).

Now meds. This will be as accurate and chronological as I can make it by memory.

Asthma/allergy meds:

Now taking montelukast 10mg q.d., albuterol p.r.n., fluticasone p.r.n., fexofenadine p.r.n. Recently discontinued theophylline ER 100mg b.i.d (later q.d.), budesonide/formoterol 80/4.5 b.i.d.

(Was also taking biotin and vitamin B-12 for a while, but stopped. I'm going to start taking B-12 again.)

GAD/ADHD:

Atomoxetine: 40mg q.d. for about a month. Constant headaches, drowsiness, and nausea; no appetite; death. No therapeutic effects. No discontinuation effects. Moved down to 10mg q.d. for about two months. No side effects, no therapeutic effects. Moved up to 25mg q.d. for about a month. None of the 40mg side effects, but lots of sexual side effects. No libido, painful orgasm, etc. No therapeutic effects. No discontinuation effects. Concurrently: Montelukast, fluticasone, fexofenadine, theophylline, budesonide/formoterol, biotin, B-12.
--------------------------------------------------
Sertraline: 25mg q.d. for one to two months. No side effects, no therapeutic effects, no discontinuation effects. Concurrently: Montelukast, fluticasone, fexofenadine, theophylline, budesonide/formoterol, biotin, B-12.
Citalopram: 20mg q.d. for about a month. No side effects*, no therapeutic effects, no discontinuation effects. Concurrently: Dextroamphetamine, montelukast, fluticasone, fexofenadine, biotin, B-12.

Dextroamphetamine: 5mg q.d. for maybe two or three weeks. Increased heart rate (also: *), no therapeutic effects. Moved up to 10mg q.d. for no longer than a month. Same as 5mg. No discontinuation effects. Concurrently: Citalopram, montelukast, fluticasone, fexofenadine, biotin, B-12.
Divalproex sodium: 250mg q.d. for about a month. No side effects, no therapeutic effects, no discontinuation effects. Concurrently: Montelukast, fluticasone, fexofenadine, I think I was taking the methylphenidate.
Methylphenidate ER: 18mg q.d. for about two months. No side effects*; possible therapeutic effects, but hard to tell. Concurrently: Montelukast, fluticasone, fexofenadine, clonidine part of the time, guanfacine part of the time, venlafaxine part of the time.
Clonidine: .1mg q.d. for one week. Nothing whatsoever. Concurrently: Montelukast, fluticasone, fexofenadine, methylphenidate.

Guanfacine: 1mg q.d. for one week. Nothing whatsoever (again). Concurrently: Montelukast, fluticasone, fexofenadine, methylphenidate.
Currently:

Methylphenidate ER (again): Moved up to 36mg q.d. about two or three weeks ago. No side effects*. I'm still not really sure if it's doing anything. I was supposed to take today's dose about six hours ago, and I am noticing that it's taken about an hour and a half to write this shit.

Venlafaxine: 75mg q.d. Started taking this the 27th of February. I kind of feel like my anxiety and my mood in general might be getting better (a bit). Then again, the situation that causes my spikes stopped being an issue (at least for now) literally the third day I started taking this. So who knows? My libido/ability to get it up is kind of shitty and up until recently, my hands and feet were getting really clammy, but not much else (except the * below). I haven't taken my dose today and I'm having none of those legendary discontinuation effects. My doctor suggested a while back that my lack of discontinuation effects with SSRIs and SNRIs might mean that serotonin is not my issue. I was really hoping this would work though, so I'm continuing with it, despite my lack of a sex life.

Propranolol: 10 b.d. (p.r.n.) Started 27th of February. No side effects*. I seems like it might help a little, but still not too noticeable, especially since my situation has been better lately.

*I'm not really sure what causes this. It's either the dextroamphetamine/methylphenidate, or the citalopram/venlafaxine, or the propranolol and either the dextroamphetamine or the citalopram, or I'm just making it up in my head. Anyway, sometimes I get this weird physical sensation like someone is literally tickling my heart. It's not an uncomfortable feeling. It's actually pretty pleasant. Kind of like going downhill in a roller coaster.

Anyway . . . If anyone managed to make it through that, suggestions? Meanwhile, I'm gonna go take my meds seven hours late.

Edited by AJRL, 18 March 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Medication history: albuterol, alprazolam, atomoxetine, budesonide/formoterol, citalopram, clonazepam, clonidine, cromoglicic acid, cyproheptadine, desvenlafaxine, dextroamphetamine, fluticasone, fluticasone/salmeterol, guanfacine, hydrocodone/acetaminophen, methylphenidate, metoprolol, mirtazapine, montelukast, prednisone, propranolol, sertraline, theophylline, valproic acid, venlafaxine

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Current Meds:CRF 100/30mg q.d., Concerta 54mg q.d., Flovent 220mcg b.i.d., Ventolin p.r.n.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Also probably worth noting is that I've taken alprazolam (.5 mg I believe) on two or three different occasions, and once again, nothing. No side effects, no therapeutic effects at all. Let me know what you guys think.
Medication history: albuterol, alprazolam, atomoxetine, budesonide/formoterol, citalopram, clonazepam, clonidine, cromoglicic acid, cyproheptadine, desvenlafaxine, dextroamphetamine, fluticasone, fluticasone/salmeterol, guanfacine, hydrocodone/acetaminophen, methylphenidate, metoprolol, mirtazapine, montelukast, prednisone, propranolol, sertraline, theophylline, valproic acid, venlafaxine

#3 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I hope someone has some ideas as to what the problem might be. Is my doctor not keeping me on each med for long enough to see its effects? Or do I need to try something hardcore like mirtazapine or tranylcypromine? Or would desvenlafaxine be a viable option after trying venlafaxine?

#4 jpm3985

jpm3985

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Night Terrors
  • Current Meds:Citalopram 40mg QD, Trazodone 50mg QHS

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

First off get off the SSRI train. Sure the ads on tv look nice but its not for you.
only exception to that would be Viibryd (but then the jury is still out if its an SSRI or in the "others" family of trazodone/nefazodone)
Speaking of "others" dont count out TCA's if the Effexor dont work out.
I see your doing the beta blocker for ADHD-thingy. My question there is why not atenolol... that stuff packs a wallop esp at 100mg.
Current Depression Medications
Citalopram 40mg QD, Trazodone 50mg QHS

Medications to treat other conditions:
Lisinopril 5mg QHS (ACE inhib. for Kidney protection and mild HBP), Oxybutynin ER 10mg QHS (because an overactive bladder makes for an anxious mentally interesting person), Simvastatin 40mg QHS (because High Cholesterol is just part of the fun), Zegerid 20mg QD (because heartburn is really that much fun) OTC Tylenol 650mg 5x/day for chronic pain (because NSAID's just dont play nice with bleeding disorders)

Honorable mentions (the PRN's)
Allegra OTC 180mg QD for 7 Days for acute symptoms (because antihistamines cant be mixed for long periods of time with those with voiding dysfunction), Meclizine 25mg PRN for long excursions (because long trips make nauseousness magically reappear). Ibuprofen 800mg TID only for acute pain (because NSAID's dont play nice with bleeding disorders)

#5 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Are you changing your meds one at a time? Because if you're not doing that, it's almost impossible to tell what's going on.

Two other issues:

- I'm seeing some really low doses here (like divalproex sodium 250 mg is a tiny dose, dexamphetamine 10 mg is pretty low as well).
- you are probably not giving each drug (especially the SSRIs) enough time *on it's own* to see if it's working.

The heart flutter is probably your heart 'skipping beats'. It's not actually skipping beats, rather the next beat is coming early, giving you the impression that it is skipping a beat. It is very common on stimulants (including caffeine), and not dangerous at all.

Also, I don't see pregabalin on that list. It's not a bad med for anxiety. Don't see any antipsychotics on that list either. They can work well for anxiety too.
Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#6 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

I am switching the anxiety meds one at a time, but the two stimulants I've used were in conjunction with a number of anxiety meds. I'm definitely done with SSRIs and SNRIs, unless the Effexor works. I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, so I'm thinking, possibly increase the Effexor dosage and wait another month? Does that sound like a good idea?

#7 Rockie

Rockie

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, panic, agoraphobia, bipolar features, IBS
  • Current Meds:Valium 5 mg QD and 5mg PRN, Calcium and Magnesium Supplements

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

My guess is that the clammy hands and feet are from the propranolol. It happened to me when I was on it.

I don't know much about allergy and asthma meds, but how often do you take the albuterol, and can you get off of it? Nervousness is a common side effect.

Have you tried any psych meds prior to or while not taking ADHD meds? If so, what was your response. Personally, I'm wondering what you're response to the other meds would have been if you weren't taking stims. Can you drop the ADHD meds until you can find a med to control your GAD? They can make finding an anti-anxiety med very difficult. Doing so can also help to differentiate between meds that are or aren't working for you.

Gabapentin and, as mentioned, pregabalin are worth a try. Also, you might find that another benzo -- perhaps Valium or Klonopin - may work better for you.

I'd give other classes of AD's (e.g. TCA's, SARI's, NaSSA) a try as well. You can also try an AAP - I'm thinking Seroquel -- or a mood stabilizer if you're out of AD options. Lamictal really helps my anxiety, though it took months on it before I really noticed the change.

BTW, mirtazapine isn't really a heavy hitter unless you're talking weight gain (pun intended) and sedation. But those also come with a lot of other psych meds.

Edited by Rockie, 21 March 2012 - 04:38 PM.

Previous Meds
AD's: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox, Celexa, Cymbalta, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Emsam, Imipramine, Nortriptyline,Trazodone, Viibryd, Nefazadone
AED's: Topomax, Trileptal, Klonopin, Ativan, Lamictal, Oxazepam, Triazolam
AP/AAP's: Seroquel
Other: Buspar, Ambien, Nadolol, Propranolol, Pramipexole, Hydroxyzine

"The pink ones keep you from screaming".
- Grandpa Simpson

#8 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

I am switching the anxiety meds one at a time, but the two stimulants I've used were in conjunction with a number of anxiety meds. I'm definitely done with SSRIs and SNRIs, unless the Effexor works. I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, so I'm thinking, possibly increase the Effexor dosage and wait another month? Does that sound like a good idea?

I think Cymbalta is worth a try as well, personally.
Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#9 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I had my appointment today. My doctor increased me from 75mg to 150mg of venlafaxine and from 36mg to 54mg of methylphenidate. He also switched me from the propranolol 10mg to metoprolol ER 25mg because I think the proproanolol was exacerbating my asthma. I'm supposed to see him in a month, so I'm crossing my fingers that 150mg of venlafaxine actually does something. After that, I think I'm going to see a different doctor for a second opinion. Cigna is dropping my healthcare provider (A.K.A. the largest provider in the city--what the hell, Cigna?), so I'm going to be forced to change my PCP anyway. I'm hoping I can find a good pdoc with my new provider.

#10 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 624 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, escitalopram

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Anxiety isn't even my diagnosis, and albuterol sent me through the roof. I had a Ventolin HFA (albuterol sulfate) inhaler for a while, and it made me so jittery-jittery doesn't even cover it. Think shaking hands and tunnel vision. So the next time I needed an inhaler (I get very bad respiratory infections exacerbated by bad allergies) my doctor prescribed Xopenex HFA (levabuterol tartrate), which worked a lot better. Allowed me to breathe and didn't make my heart pound. My insurance initially refused to cover it, but my doctor insisted, so I got reimbursed.

Give us this day our daily meds:150 mgs lamotrigine, 75 mgs topiramate, 150 mgs Seroquel XR, 100 mgs Seroquel IR, 12.5 mgs Ambien CR, 15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3. Azelastine spray for allergies.

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN.

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#11 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

I don't think albuterol exacerbates my anxiety, but I could be wrong. I've been taking it for 20+ years (my whole life), and I haven't really noticed anything. Then again, I rarely use my inhaler because it's not very effective, and the only time I use the nebulized form is when I'm sick. I know exactly what you mean though about the shaky hands, pounding and irregular heart beat, and tunnel vision. It's always fun when I'm sick and have to do a neb every two hours for a week and a half . . .

Edited by AJRL, 26 March 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#12 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

By the way, the past three days, I missed taking all my meds, and I realized that I had no discernible withdrawal symptoms (from the venlafaxine). Do you all think this is related to my similar lack of withdrawal symptoms with atomoxetine, sertraline, and citalopram? Or is 75mg of venlafaxine really just too low of a dose to have symptoms? I also stupidly forgot to eat today when I took my meds, and I'm not feeling too hot right now. Nothing awful, but I don't have much appetite and I feel a little bit headachy. I'm sure part of it is the fact that I hadn't taken my pills for three days.

#13 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Alright, I need someone to tell me if I should be concerned. The 23rd, 24th, and 25th, I didn't take my meds at all (besides maybe a fexofenadine for allergies). The 26th was when I changed from propranolol to metoprolol (25mg), from 75 to 150mg of venlafaxine XR, and from 36 to 54mg of Concerta. I didn't pick up my refills till the afternoon of the 26th, so I took the venlafaxine and the Concerta at about 3:00 PM as well as 50mg of metoprolol during the remainder of the day. The 27th, I took my venlafaxine and Concerta at 9:00 AM and 100mg of metoprolol during the course of the day (plus 25mg right before bed). Yesterday evening (the 27th), I started feeling kind of achy and feverish. I felt dehydrated (I'm sure from the Concerta) and had a mild headache. I managed to sleep about eight hours, however. This morning, I took everything at 9:00 again (only 25mg of metoprolol). I still feel warm and a bit achy. My head hurts a little, but still not as much as yesterday. I'm not going to take any more metoprolol today. I have been trying to drink lots of water, but my mouth is still pretty dry. I also have a pretty poor appetite. I just need to confirm that I'm not suffering from acute hepatic failure or some other lovely side-effect.

Edited by AJRL, 28 March 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#14 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Taking meds willy-nilly is very unwise, and could be considered self-defeating behavior, AJRL.

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

#15 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Anxiety isn't even my diagnosis, and albuterol sent me through the roof. I had a Ventolin HFA (albuterol sulfate) inhaler for a while, and it made me so jittery-jittery doesn't even cover it. Think shaking hands and tunnel vision. So the next time I needed an inhaler (I get very bad respiratory infections exacerbated by bad allergies) my doctor prescribed Xopenex HFA (levabuterol tartrate), which worked a lot better. Allowed me to breathe and didn't make my heart pound. My insurance initially refused to cover it, but my doctor insisted, so I got reimbursed.

Xopenex is my rescue inhaler, too. My insurance makes me pay $120 for it, IIRC, but I only replace it once a year, and not having the heart-pounding side effect is worth it.

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

#16 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, well I won't be doing it again after feeling like shit for the past 24 hours or so. I assume that the side effects were a result of missing my meds for three days and then suddenly increasing the dosage. I just want to make sure I'm not having a serious reaction. I haven't had any itching or rash, although one of the days I didn't take my meds, I woke up and had what looked like hives on my left foot and ankle. I think I might have been having a reaction to cat hair my friend brought in though.

#17 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hmm. I've never heard of Xopenex. Maybe I'll have to talk to my PCP about albuterol alternatives.

#18 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

Shit. Now I have hives for the second time. The first time, I thought it was a reaction to cat hair. Obviously, I'm trying to get in contact with my doctor now. However, has anyone had an allergy issue with venlafaxine XL 150mg capsules (those evil-looking giant orange ones), methylphenidate XR 54mg (the reddish tablets), metoprolol XR 25mg tablets, montelukast 10mg tabs, vitamin B-12 tablets, off-brand Excedrin, or a combination of those?

#19 dolly

dolly

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Diagnoses:PD,GAD,OCD
  • Current Meds:Buspirone 15mg, Alprazolam or Lorazepam 1mg PRN, Zolpidem 12.5mg PRN

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hi AJRL, it's really important to take your meds on a regular schedule and not skip them if you want the therapeutic benefits. I was on Effexor for a good period of time and my Doc said a minimum dose of 150mg is needed for anxiety, which was true in my case. I did get some heart palpitations when titrating up for Effexor so I did it more slowly than what was prescribed; after 4 weeks on 150mg my anxiety was under control. The palpitations are harmless. If you are having side effects please don't stop taking the meds until you've discussed it with your doc. I often get hives, they can be related to anxiety and not necessarily an allergic reaction. For a period of time I even got these huge hives on my face that would completely disfigure me. All from stress/anxiety. My Doc told me to take cetirizine for them. HTH and hang in there.
Dolly
Dx: Severe PD, GAD, OCD; depression that comes and goes
Currently prescribed Buspirone 7.5mg 2X/day, Alprazolam 1mg, Zolpidem controlled release 12.5mg; also on Yasmin BCP for PMDD.
Past meds: Venlafaxine 150mg, Citalopram 30mg, Duloxetine 60mg, Escitalopram 10mg, Paroxetine 20mg, Sertraline 100mg Lorazepam 2mg, Klonazepam 1mg, Temazepam 30mg.
18 years on and off meds for brain cooties... this is getting old

#20 chiara

chiara

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder I; ADHD
  • Current Meds:Pristiq (50), Topamax (100), Clonidine (.4), Lamictal (working up to 100), Adderall (30)

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

I take .4 Clonidine a day. .1/AM, .1/Afternoon, .2/PM. It helps a lot for anxiety and adhd. you want to have your blood sugar monitored if you start a higher dose.
Past meds:
AD: Prozac, Zoloft, Serzone, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Strattera, Paxil
AP: Risperdal, Seroquel, Abilify, Saphris, Latuda
MS: Lamictal, Depakote, Trileptal, Lithium (gave me a rash)
Others: Ambien, Rozerem, Trazodone

#21 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Chiara, I notice that you're taking Pristiq after having tried Effexor. Did you switch because of side-effects or because Effexor didn't work? I think I'm going to ask my doctor about switching to Pristiq to see if it works any better than Effexor, so I'm wondering how they were different for you.

#22 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

This is a little random, but this is what I did with my Sunday. I still need to locate some Dexedrine, Celexa, and theophylline that I had from a while back, but once I flush those, all the meds I'm not under instructions to take right now will be down the drain. No more taking meds not as instructed. (Note: Flushing meds isn't supposed to be great for the water supply, so I'm not encouraging anyone to do it. I personally needed the visual of destroying all those meds to make me feel better, so I hereby apologize to the environment for fulfilling my selfish needs.)

Edited by AJRL, 15 April 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#23 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Please don't overdo it with the graphics and photos, AJRL.

#24 AJRL

AJRL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Problem hopefully solved. (If the issue was something potentially unsavory in the photo, the cloudiness in the water was merely the capsules melting.)

#25 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thanks. Not unsavory, just big.

#26 chiara

chiara

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder I; ADHD
  • Current Meds:Pristiq (50), Topamax (100), Clonidine (.4), Lamictal (working up to 100), Adderall (30)

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

Chiara, I notice that you're taking Pristiq after having tried Effexor. Did you switch because of side-effects or because Effexor didn't work? I think I'm going to ask my doctor about switching to Pristiq to see if it works any better than Effexor, so I'm wondering how they were different for you.

I'm sorry that I'm getting back to you so late.
For me, effexor was always able to get me out of the depressive slumps. I think it helped for about 5 years. At one point when pristiq came out and i was on a high dose of effexor and was still having depressive symptoms we decided to try it. it really blasts me out of my depressive funk. i think it does screw with sleep a bit and i've found it energizing so i've had to cut back on it from 100 to 50 however if effexor works for you, you will have good results with pristiq, in my opinion.
Past meds:
AD: Prozac, Zoloft, Serzone, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Strattera, Paxil
AP: Risperdal, Seroquel, Abilify, Saphris, Latuda
MS: Lamictal, Depakote, Trileptal, Lithium (gave me a rash)
Others: Ambien, Rozerem, Trazodone

#27 betty_box

betty_box

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Diagnoses:Panic and Anxiety, OCD, Cyclical Major Depression, Chronic Insomnia, Migraines
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Amitriptyline 80mg, Ambien 10mg, Imitrex 50mg, Metoclopramide 5 mg

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

No effect with the citalopram at all? I had great luck with it in combination with daily lorazepam (a pretty significant dose before bed every night, and more during the day in smaller doses as needed) for my anxiety, with Ambien as needed for chronic insomnia (3-4 times a week, usually). Klon is even better for severe anxiety. It seems like part of the reason your anxiety meds aren't getting through is because you're on so many different things, including some pretty serious stimulants. I find that the LESS medications I'm on at once, the better ones I'm on work. I've recently gone down from 6 daily to 2 daily and it's great. If you can handle it, talk to dr about bringing the number of meds you're on down to 0 (except for the asthma meds you need to you know, not die) and starting back up from the base. Since you don't have depressive symptoms, it shouldn't make you a danger for yourself, though it might be unpleasant until you bring things back up and find the right meds, hopefully as few as possible, at reasonable doses. I would also say to get your anxiety under control FIRST, then work on the ADHD.

As always, DON'T DO IT ON YOUR OWN. Be honest with your psych about how you're feeling and what symptoms are the most important to you to treat, and follow their directions closely.
Previous meds: Ativan, Celexa, Doxepin,Hydroxizine (worthless) Lexapro, Klonopin, Neurontin, Topamax, Trazodone, Terazosin, Valium (does this actually work for ANYONE? Seriously.), Xanax, Zoloft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog