Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Insomnia (4-5 Days W/o Sleep)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

I tried Haldol but it didn't work for me at all - again, I was manic instead of sleepy.

Allie, you got manic from Haldol? Same thing is happening to me with dose increase. Really manic.

Current Meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#32 allieincrazyland

allieincrazyland

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1, PTSD, GAD, PD
  • Current Meds:20 mg Saphris,.2 mg Clonidine BID, 150 mg Wellbutrin, 1 mg Xanax prn, 50 mg Pristiq

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Yes, NR, I was manic from the starting gate with Haldol. And really, strangely awkward at the same time. Be careful with it if you're having issues as you increase, please.

"We are all wonderful, beautiful wrecks. That's what connects us - that we are broken, all beautifully imperfect." Emilio Estevez

#33 DivineChaos82

DivineChaos82

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety NOS, Chronic Insomnia, Fibromialga, Migraines, Movement disorder
  • Current Meds:Xanax, Zoloft, Temazapam, Riperdone, Topamax, Trazadone,

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Brand new here, and this might be a bit late...
I have had severe insomnia since, well, birth. My mother had me seen at age 4 months due to my inability to fall asleep or sleep longer than an hour at a time. This has continued. I am 29, and I take 4-5 hours to 'fall asleep' without medication. That is, if I will be sleeping at all. I go 3-4 days with no sleep about every 2 weeks. My average is 3 hours of sleep per 24 hours.

I was given Temazapam recently. I don't have the 'fall asleep mid-sentence' effect from it but if I lay down and relax I can be asleep within an hour. I do not take it nightly however as it is a pretty strong benzo and you can develop a tolerance really quickly. I take it every 3-4 nights so I can reset my brain.

If that isn't an option for you I really encourage you to do sleep journals, sleep studies, and keep hounding your dr until you make them feel stupid. I had to do the same. I showed up to an appointment with 12 notebooks full of daily entries and mid-night scribbles and forced my team to review them while I was in the room. They finally realized that this wasn't me trying to get drugs, or a symptom of my other conditions, but a condition all its own.

Don't worry about pestering the medical community. It is their responsibility to treat you, to listen to you, and to diagnose you correctly. If they are not listening to you and taking your concerns seriously, they are not doing their job, and need to be smacked in the throat. (personal opnion...)

Hope this helps... also, if this is something you have had most of your life, consider talking to your Primary because it could be genetic. Mine was... I have 2 adorable little kids that don't sleep worth a sh*t. lol

#34 Asimov

Asimov

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bi-polar 2, ADD, Migraines, Dyscalculia
  • Current Meds:Lamictal (Lamotrigine) 100mg

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm new here, and I don't know how this might affect anyone on medication, because for most of my life I haven't been on any. But I used to have the real bad insomnia as well. 3-4 days without sleep, or if any, it didn't last longer than a few minutes. But one thing that worked (somewhat) for me was caffeine. Counterintuitive, but if I drank enough of caffeinated beverages, or took some of the pills, it wouldn't put me to sleep immediately, but it'd reduce it down to a couple of hours before I fell asleep instead of a couple of days. One time, I had been awake so long that I became convinced that sleep was like a drug, and that the intense discomfort I was going through was withdrawal. If I could just stay awake long enough, then I'd never have to sleep again. I think I ended up passing out on the floor about an hour after that.

Or you could contract Cat Scratch fever. That will put you to sleep for about a week. (Been there, done that.)

Lately I sleep plenty. I just don't notice any difference between before I sleep, and after.
Having had no health insurance for most of my adult life, I am a complete novice to most of this stuff. Former Meds: Wellbutrin, Ritalin, Prozac, and other things I can't remember.

#35 ghost

ghost

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, adhd, psychosis.insomnia.mania signs.anxiety.schizophrenic signs.bi polar signs
  • Current Meds:seroquel (quetiapine) zoloft (sertraline)

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

riley i know exactly how you feel! in the first post. i literally get about no more than ten hours of sleep a week it's horrible.i get so tired but just wont ever pass out,and it causes me bad headaches aswell.i really dont find quetiapine helps me atall though.it's like not being able to sleep is overtaken my life

#36 amo

amo

DIY Trepanist

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar nos
  • Current Meds:1mg risperdal, 150mg wellbutrin, lamictal 200mg bid, mirena, nicotine patch, multivitamin

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

i've used thorazine and trazodone and i don't notice any effects from either of them. any idea why?

Edited by amo, 01 June 2012 - 08:15 AM.

major depression/post partum mania

Past meds: cymbalta, celexa, zyprexa, seroquel, xanax, abilify, thorazine, trazadone, zoloft

#37 RadioDollface

RadioDollface

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Diagnoses:Recurrent depression, idiopathic hypersomnia/narcolepsy without cataplexy
  • Current Meds:Fluoxetine 40mg/day, dextroamphetamine 10mg/day

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

It may seem weird that I'm trying to offer advice, given that I'm diagnosed with hypersomnia, but my sleep has been generally out of whack in all kinds of ways since long before my current set of symptoms.

First of all, if you've tried to force yourself to a normal rhythm and it simply does not work no matter what you do, then naps may be something to consider. Like allieincrazyland said, some sleep is better than none, even if you have to get it in an erratic pattern. This isn't possible for everyone for practical reasons, but as a student with hypersomnia/narcolepsy, I found it actually quite helpful. If you get tired or sleepy at an unusual time, but you do actually have some time to spare, then lying down can really help. For people who are trying to make sure their sleep schedule is 'normal', avoiding naps is good, but if you're not sleeping at night anyway, it's not like there's any circadian rhythm to disturb.

As for old wives' tales, I know this may sound useless and patronizing, and if someone suggested this to me I'd probably swat them. However, one of the things that I've found really surprisingly helpful was wearing a sleep mask. I tried it in hopes of decreasing the amount of time it would take me to fall asleep, but what I found was that on nights that I wore the sleep mask, I'd actually wake up the next morning before my alarm feeling totally refreshed. My insomnia at the time was nowhere near as severe as yours, so the effect of a sleep mask may be negligible on you, but I figure it's worth mentioning - mainly because I was so surprised at exactly how helpful it was.

Sleep study: worth it. Trust me. I know it may be a point of anxiety for you, but it's absolutely worth it to try to work through any negative feelings you might have around it. Sleeping in the lab is really not as weird as you might assume. The room looks more like a hotel room than anything, and you're in your own clothes/pajamas, and it feels much less medical than you expect. If you're concerned you might not be able to sleep as well, but also concerned that your doctors don't take your word for it about how serious your insomnia is, then this is kind of a benefit, if anything - they'll have empirical proof that you are as sleepless as you say you are, or perhaps even more so.

Tired vs sleepy. This is something I'm always trying to explain to non-sleep-disordered friends. If you are feeling tired, then it may be worth having a lie down without even trying to get to sleep; it doesn't matter if you sleep or not - resting yourself will help with tiredness.

Lastly, how long exactly has your insomnia been this bad? Was it always like this? If not, was the onset of this level of severity correlated with any chance in medication, diet, general health, etc.? Also, someone else mentioned [hypo]mania, which is something to consider as well - if you've had any other symptoms of it, etc.
Notes about my diagnoses:
The psychiatrist's letter reads 'Recurrent depression - currently moderate depression'. Officially, I also have idiopathic hypersomnia, but that's only because I flunked the narcolepsy test; if they hadn't caught me on a good day, the diagnosis would be narcolepsy without cataplexy.
Current prescription: dextroamphetamine 10mg/day, fluoxetine 20mg/day (to be increased to 40)
Previous prescriptions: escitalopram (2006-07), fluoxetine (June 2011-Jan 2012), venlafaxine (January-May 2012).
Stopped escitalopram because I moved to England from the US and my new idiot doctor decided that a fourteen-year-old couldn't possibly need medication. Stopped fluoxetine (which worked at first) because the depression came back, badly. Stopped venlafaxine because it sucked ass. Back on fluoxetine because we know it won't make me any more nuts than I am already, and also so that I'm not suddenly going medless in the middle of exam season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog