Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Seroquel And The Common Cold, Or Lack Thereof

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bipolar librarian

bipolar librarian

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Would someone please explain to me -- in small words, so I can understand -- why on God's Green Earth I seem to only catch colds when I am NOT taking Seroquel?

I was always kind of prone to colds. On Seroquel, almost never. I discontinued several weeks ago, and after the initial nausea/headache/general ill feeling from withdrawal, I caught a cold. A cold that. although not severe, has lingered almost three weeks and shows little sign of going away.

I know the stuff has some antihistamine action, but this is a definite cold, not just allergies.

I have not gone to the doctor because I've seen this movie before, and I know most likely they'll tell me I have a cold (duh!) and give me that look that says, "You wuss." OR, rarely, you have bronchitis (yay! a real Dx!) and you just have to live through it, and here's your bill for $100.

I had gone off Seroquel about a year and a half, two years ago for the same very good reasons I did last time. One of the reasons I went back on it was that in addition to the negative spiraling depression returning, I caught 2 bad colds within the space of 6 months -- during the latter, my DH said he'd never seen me so sick in the 20 years we'd been together. I hadn't had a cold in ages-- pretty much the whole time I was on seroquel. I figured it was probably the stress of swingin' emotions that precipitated these. But I haven't felt depressed or unstable since this last time I discontinued -- just sick.

I'd like to figure out what it is exactly about Seroquel that keeps me from getting viral infectious sick so maybe I could address that issue without Seroquel, since I really don't want to go back on it.

Yes, I'm rambling this morning. I'm tired, I'm frustrated.

Dx Bipolar II 11 years ago
Current meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, lithium 300 mg, latuda 40 mg, xanax .25 mg PRN, synthroid 200 mcg, fish oil
Meds used prior to now: Prozac, Buspar, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, mirapex, abilify, seroquel, NAC

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Sounds to me like your cold has turned into a bacterial infection. Would a regular cold really last three weeks?

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

"What's your true self and what's your fake self. Yeah, and where are you on that scale? And how's it working for you? And sometimes you got to go with the fake one, and sometimes faking it 'til [you] make it is the best path, ... I mean sometimes for ... anybody I've known who's struggling ... you got to put your feet on the ground every day and say, you know, don't embrace the struggle, you're going to sink like a rock."

-- David O. Russell, the director of Silver Linings Playbook, in an interview with Terry Gross

(I took out most of the "you knows.")

#3 bipolar librarian

bipolar librarian

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

Would a regular cold really last three weeks?

Believe it or not, for me it often does. I've always been prone to upper respiratory crap and have a tough time shaking it... except when I'm on Seroquel, weirdly enough.

Thank god I have an office with a door so my coworkers don't have to listen to me cough.

If it doesn't lift by Monday, I'll probably see my GP. I just wish I knew what it was about Seroquel that seems to ward off colds for me.

Dx Bipolar II 11 years ago
Current meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, lithium 300 mg, latuda 40 mg, xanax .25 mg PRN, synthroid 200 mcg, fish oil
Meds used prior to now: Prozac, Buspar, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, mirapex, abilify, seroquel, NAC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts