Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Seroquel Allergy?

Seroquel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainYaar

CaptainYaar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hello Crazy Meds,

it's been awhile! How have all of you been?
I wanted to know if of you have had allergic experiences with Seroquel...?
I have taken Seroquel on and off over the years, and each of those times I've stopped the med due the reactions I have to it, including headaches, facial pain & spasms, swelling, weight-gain and trouble breathing (I happen to have severe asthma, so that last one sucks.)

It's a lengthy story, but I recently took Seroquel on a daily basis for about two-and-a-half weeks, at a dosage ranging from 50 - 150mg. During the time I was taking it, I had what I believed was a cold. As I stopped the Seroquel, most of the cold symptoms subsided and I was left with chest congestion that would not go away, and a deep, non-productive cough. It is/was like this tight fullness that occupies the area of my throat and upper lungs. I have times where there is dull to moderate throbbing in my chest, with occasional pangs. I find that I am often short of breath, which results in an obnoxious cough with wheezing. I have also been plagued with an incessant, all-over-the-body kind of itching, with a rash that presents occasionally.

I stopped Seroquel two weeks ago after two weeks of taking it at dosages of 50-150mg. Is it possible that I am experiencing an allergic reaction even though I am off that med?

I have been seen 3 times this week (In addition to asthma, I have a small history with blod clots. Difficulty breathing freaks me out a bit).

My Dr's have ruled out blood clots, infections, general/seasonal allergies, or masses or tumors of any kind. More interesting is the fact that each time I was seen they listened to my lungs, and they are clear. I am being told that the issue is in my throat (inflammation or swelling). It was suggested that my coughing was causing the inflammation and swelling in my throat, and as I continued coughing it increased it moved into my lungs. In addition to throat inflammation in my throat I am also having inflammation/burning/discomfort in my mouth (cheeks, gums, etc) and it is very sensitive.

I was prescribed Atarax for the itching and a three day supply of Prednisone (which I started this morning. I'm desperate. I'm wishing I has access to Epi Pens.)

I keep waiting for things to work. Antihistamines don't work unless I take them in huge doses (Example: Benedryl 100mg). Like I said, I have asthma, and so I nebulize. Nebulizing actually aggravates my symptoms, leaving me tight and anxious.

I have 3 theories, and they are:
a) Allergy to Seroquel or some other medication
:mad: viral infection
and...
c) An oral herpetic outbreak of the mouth and throat (Yes, I have Herpes Simplex 1 (oral herpes)

I went on too long. Have any of you experienced this kind of thing, be it on Seroquel or not? Will super high doses of antihistamines just phase it out or will it continue to come back everyday? The short breathing attacks come on quite suddenly...I dunno...Insight please?

Thanks in advance.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 bipolar librarian

bipolar librarian

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

So... antihistamines relieve the symptoms in large enough doses?

My experience is that seroquel has some pretty serious antihistamine action. I've just come off it and had the world's worst hayfever and now ended up with a cold. I do not snot and sniffle when I'm on it, and rarely get colds. Nevertheless, like you, I had some good reasons for discontinuing.

Is it possible, this is some kind of allergic rebound since you no longer have the antihistamine effects from the seroquel?

Dx Bipolar II 11 years ago
Current meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, lithium 300 mg, latuda 40 mg, xanax .25 mg PRN, synthroid 200 mcg, fish oil
Meds used prior to now: Prozac, Buspar, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, mirapex, abilify, seroquel, NAC

#3 CaptainYaar

CaptainYaar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Is it possible, this is some kind of allergic rebound since you no longer have the antihistamine effects from the seroquel?

This is exactly what I am thinking. I apologize for the delay in my response. It's like it has been a complete systemic response: rash, lungs, mouth, sinuses, EVERYTHING. And it's still here, and I have no idea what to do. :-(

#4 bipolar librarian

bipolar librarian

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:02 AM

Sounds pretty extreme -- All I had was bad sinus stuff for a couple of days, and that was after taking seroquel for months, not just for weeks. I think all you can do at this point is keep pursuing it with your docs an keep an open mind about the seroquel -- it may have had nothing to do with all of this.

Dx Bipolar II 11 years ago
Current meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, lithium 300 mg, latuda 40 mg, xanax .25 mg PRN, synthroid 200 mcg, fish oil
Meds used prior to now: Prozac, Buspar, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, mirapex, abilify, seroquel, NAC

#5 blart752

blart752

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Diagnoses:Mood disorder NOS

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Yeah, I have had shortness of breath, congestion etc, all while on seroquel. I actually had to use sudafed for like a week or so and ive used nasal decongestants on and off. Have you ever used sudafed to combat the stuffiness from the seroquel or nasal decongestants? I've used nasal decongestants before but they do have a warning to not use it for an extended period of time. I actually overused sudafed and may have something to do with the way i feel now.

I don't know what to say about the rash, but heck they gave you prednisone so that can be something that can at least help a little bit, so maybe wait to see if it helps. As for epipens. They did used to sell epineprhine in inhaler form OTC in pharmacies called Primatene. It's basically the same thing that's in epipens, but in inhalation form.

#6 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

Might not be related to Seroquel. Anything else change environmentally or med wise?

Current Meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog