Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Mirtazapine Poops Out For Sleep - Really?

mirtazapine sleep

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_PandorableApril

In_Remission_PandorableApril
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Most of what I read about the infamous mirtazapine poop-out appears to be about it no longer working for depression. Anybody have it poop out at low doses for sleep?

I'm asking because I was on 15 mg for about two months, with great sleep. Then my usual wake-up-way-too-early-and-can't-get-back-to-sleep routine came back and hasn't gone away again. I tried lowering the dose to 7.5 and my sleep is about the same. Still helps some with sleep onset, but doesn't keep me sleeping like it used to.

Thanks,
J

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Got the T-shirt

Got the T-shirt

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Diagnoses:Chronic severe treatment-resistant MDD
  • Current Meds:900mg Efexor 90mg Cymbalta 5mg Dexamphetamine

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:19 AM

The waking-too-early symptom is a classic early symptom of Depression. Could this be the start of a general 'poop out' of the drug?

#3 In_Remission_PandorableApril

In_Remission_PandorableApril
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hmm, interesting. Somehow I hadn't heard that one before; I figured I just had sleep problems. For the last ~13 years I've awakened too early, except on one medication cocktail which I discontinued because of side effects. I wouldn't be surprised if this was related to depression, though, since I've been making changes in my other meds.

Mirtazapine isn't my primary AD in the cocktail I'm now using, so I'm not terribly concerned about whether this is a harbinger of greater poop-out impending for this med. I am concerned that the primary function of mirtazapine (for me) seems to have ceased working.

But...if it's not depression-related, maybe my histamine response has just changed because of using mirtazapine daily for a few months? Anyone experienced mirtazapine poop-out for sleep, specifically?

~ Jenica

#4 Rainman56

Rainman56

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 89 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD,GAD,OCD
  • Current Meds:Recently started 50mg Luvox+Clonazepam 0.5mg Prn

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

I,m at 60mg and yes for about the last 3 months I,ve noticed a big difference as far as sleep.Even at lower doses about 30 mins later it was lights out.Now while I still sleep I can stay up for quite some time and no real cobwebs,still the food cravings after taking it though.For me it could be the starting of poop out though.Even if it is not to scare ya as everyone is different but the loss of sleepiness was the first thing I noticed.

#5 RleeP2

RleeP2

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD/GAD -latter is primary. Adult ADHD
  • Current Meds:Mirtazapine, 45mg/Diazepam 3mg/day. Adderall XR, 20mg/day

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

I would imagine everybody's different to some extent with this matter..

Here's how it goes for me (I've been on Mirtazapine at varying doses for about 2 years):

At 15 mg. I was poleaxed and was out like a light within an hour or so of taking it. I didn't have much choice whether I fell asleep or not.

At 30 mg, I got sleepy within an hour of dosing, but could usually ignore it if I was doing something. I'd be foggy, but awake. Then, when I did try to go to sleep, I went right out. The key difference seemed to be that at 30, I had a choice. At 15 mg, I didn't.

At 45 mg, I don't get sleepy, at least not that I can notice. But when I go to bed, I usually fall asleep within 8-10 minutes. But I also wake up sooner and with virtually none of the morning grog/fog I had at 15 mg (especially) or 30 mg.

But at any given time, I can break my 45 mg tab in half and take that and get knocked out pretty much the same as i did at 15 mg, when i first started it. I know this because every now and then, if I'm late taking my Adderall XR and still zipping along on that a bit when bed time comes, I'll take a half a 45 mg Mirtazapine and it puts me right to sleep.,

So, I guess I'd say there is no sleep facilitation poop out for me...

#6 In_Remission_Xeen

In_Remission_Xeen
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:45 AM

I'm on 30mg and find it doesn't put me to sleep anymore. This happened in the first week of using the drug. Some nights I toss and turn for ages. I do feel sleepy but I can't get to sleep.

#7 3jane

3jane

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Diagnoses:I guess it was Schizoaffective Bipolar type all along?
  • Current Meds:Risperidone PRN, 900mg Lithium, 100mg Lamotrigine, 100mg Trazodone for sleep

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

When I took Mirtazapine (sorry, can't remember dose), I would have very restful sleep, complete with vivid dreams, for two or three days and then it'd just.. stop. No tapering off or anything, just a giant transition to awesome sleep to nothing.
Queen of the "edit" button!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog