Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Peppermint Oil For Gi...difficulties?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

Has anyone tried peppermint oil pills for med-induced constipation?

I'm already drinking tons of water and fiber supplements and still having to use (non-stimulant) laxatives every other week. No luck with "stool softeners" really. A friend of mine says peppermint oil pills work well for this, but they're kind of expensive. Just wondering if anyone's tried or heard of this working.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

Has anyone tried peppermint oil pills for med-induced constipation?

I'm already drinking tons of water and fiber supplements and still having to use (non-stimulant) laxatives every other week. No luck with "stool softeners" really. A friend of mine says peppermint oil pills work well for this, but they're kind of expensive. Just wondering if anyone's tried or heard of this working.

Don't go near peppermint oil if you have migraine.

Compounding pharmacists use peppermint to mask the taste of damn near everything. But they can't use it on migraine meds, because it is one of the few things that will absolutely make them worse.

Have you tried plain old dates and prunes?

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#3 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

I tried it, and had an allergic reaction. Not worth it.

#4 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

Peppermint relaxes the muscle that functions as a valve (sphincter) between the stomach and intestine. That is why peppermint is given at the end of the meal, to ease the process of movement of food through. It's not going to help your problem

Adding fiber once you are stopped up is not a good always idea. It's a good idea to use to prevent constipation. Stool softeners can take 3 days to work, that is the best first line treatment. Laxatives are OK short term, the one you want has been OTC for a few years, Miralax.

nf

Edited by notfred, 05 October 2011 - 02:19 PM.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#5 Myshkin

Myshkin

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Diagnoses:Temporal lobe epilepsy, Sjogren's Syndrome and some old anxiety still popping up once in a while
  • Current Meds:Topiramate, baby dose of lexapro and occasional xanax. Plaquenil for the SS.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

Magnesia has always been my preferred aid. You can up the dosage to 1500 mg which should make it happen. Has kept me pretty happy for all my many years with constipation due to crazy meds.

#6 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Don't go near peppermint oil if you have migraine.

Compounding pharmacists use peppermint to mask the taste of damn near everything. But they can't use it on migraine meds, because it is one of the few things that will absolutely make them worse.

Have you tried plain old dates and prunes?

Oh wow. Thanks so much for letting me know--I would never have guessed. I really dislike prunes but maybe that's the way to go. Put them in a smoothie or something.

(Edit to add: Hmm, I wonder how they give Maxalt Melt that god-awful "minty-fresh" flavour, unless it's a grand conspiracy to get you buying more. :mad: )

Peppermint relaxes the muscle that functions as a valve (sphincter) between the stomach and intestine. That is why peppermint is given at the end of the meal, to ease the process of movement of food through. It's not going to help your problem

Adding fiber once you are stopped up is not a good always idea. It's a good idea to use to prevent constipation. Stool softeners can take 3 days to work, that is the best first line treatment. Laxatives are OK short term, the one you want has been OTC for a few years, Miralax.

nf

Thanks for the explanation, NotFred! I guess I'll try stool softeners again, daily for a while.

It's so worth it not to be whaleshit depressed, but kind of a pain in the ass. Literally even. (Ugh, sorry.)

Edited by hammer of dusk, 05 October 2011 - 04:28 PM.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline

#7 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Magnesia has always been my preferred aid. You can up the dosage to 1500 mg which should make it happen. Has kept me pretty happy for all my many years with constipation due to crazy meds.

As in Milk of Magnesia? That's been my go-to laxative.. How often do you take it (if it's okay to ask)? The main thing is you have to take it at least two hours before or after gabapentin, so the spacing can get kind of tricky when I'm ideally meant to be taking gabapentin every 4 hours. Still, good to know--thanks!

Edited by hammer of dusk, 05 October 2011 - 04:23 PM.

Ex-Meds:

#8 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:55 AM

Ever notice that Maxalt doesn't work?

D

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#9 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the explanation, NotFred! I guess I'll try stool softeners again, daily for a while.

No problem. I took care of dad toward the end and he was on loads of opiates. The home hospice nurse gave me the run down on how to deal with med induced constipation.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#10 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Ever notice that Maxalt doesn't work?

Weirdly enough it's the most effective triptan for me, whether in pill or melty form. Maybe I'm one of the lucky/weird few.

Ex-Meds:

#11 Sweetest1

Sweetest1

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1 rapid cycling , PTSD, Anxiety disorder NOS
  • Current Meds:clonazepam 1.5mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, ativan .5mg prn, Epival/Depakote 1250mg

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

You could also try Senna leaf tea with licorice. Works great for me.

I am not a doctor - I am just an !diot.
Nothing I say should be considered as medical advice.
These are merely my personal opinions; of which there is a seemingly inexhaustible supply.

Previous Meds: Zeldox/geodon, risperidone, seroquel, effexor, topamax, lithium, zyprexa, cipralex, trazadone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog