Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs

Venlafaxine (Generic) Vs. Effexor Xr (Brand Name)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_crazypills

In_Remission_crazypills
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

Hello,

I just joined this group and saw that there was a thread a while back about taking generic venlafaxine versus the brand-name Effexor XR, but I'd like to revisit the topic since there were not a whole lot of responses at that time. I have two questions for y'all:

1. Is there a difference between the 2 (and if so, is it significant)?
2. For those of you who have done well on Effexor XR and switched to Venlafaxine, did you notice any significant changes in the latter's efficacy? If so, what were they?

Thanks so much.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 Artemisia

Artemisia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:sertraline, cetirizine, zolpidem

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

I used to take Effexor XR 150mg for my depression, and at one appointment my prescriber forgot to add "XR" on the prescription, and I was given generic (immediate release) venlafaxine tablets at the pharmacy. I called my prescriber, and she told me to take 75 mg twice a day.

I did this for about a month until my next appointment (when I was give a prescription for XR once more). I didn't experience any discontinuation symptoms, and I didn't really notice a difference, except for the dosing. But I was only taking the immediate release venlafaxine for about a month, and it may take longer than that for your depression to return in full force.

One of my friends now takes generic venlafaxine for social anxiety. He started out on Effexor XR, and he says he had no problems adjusting to taking the generic.
Current meds: sertraline 100mg, cetirizine 5mg, zolpidem 2.5 mg

#3 In_Remission_crazypills

In_Remission_crazypills
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

I used to take Effexor XR 150mg for my depression, and at one appointment my prescriber forgot to add "XR" on the prescription, and I was given generic (immediate release) venlafaxine tablets at the pharmacy. I called my prescriber, and she told me to take 75 mg twice a day.

I did this for about a month until my next appointment (when I was give a prescription for XR once more). I didn't experience any discontinuation symptoms, and I didn't really notice a difference, except for the dosing. But I was only taking the immediate release venlafaxine for about a month, and it may take longer than that for your depression to return in full force.

One of my friends now takes generic venlafaxine for social anxiety. He started out on Effexor XR, and he says he had no problems adjusting to taking the generic.

Very interesting and helpful; thank you.

#4 In_Remission_hmm40

In_Remission_hmm40
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hello,

I just joined this group and saw that there was a thread a while back about taking generic venlafaxine versus the brand-name Effexor XR, but I'd like to revisit the topic since there were not a whole lot of responses at that time. I have two questions for y'all:

1. Is there a difference between the 2 (and if so, is it significant)?
2. For those of you who have done well on Effexor XR and switched to Venlafaxine, did you notice any significant changes in the latter's efficacy? If so, what were they?

Thanks so much.

I tried to switch to the generic since my insurance no longer subsidizes the name brand, and had to switch back to Effexor (and pay $400 per mnth). I have recently learned that I have many food intolerances and the generic made me physically sick an hour after taking it. Effexor XR capsules have 7 ingredients in them, while the generic has 15 (including shellac, antifoam, FD&C yellow #6, soy lecithin, povidone, and many other binders and fillers).

Just something to keep in mind, especially if you are sensitive to foods/chemicals.

#5 Amara

Amara

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar ii, Migraines, GAD, Mild OCD, MDD, ADD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Klonopin, Effexor ER, Baclofen

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

I've taken both..and have definitely noticed a difference. The generic makes me less nauseated, even hunger, but doesn't work as well on the depression front. The brand name is nausea extreme, loss of hunger, but amazing for depression.
Ex-Meds: Paxil, Xanax, Ativan, Depakote ER, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Diazepam/Valium, Prozac as Sarafem, Abilify, Lunesta, Lexapro, Adderall, Ambien
Pain Meds: Tramadol, Vicodin, Tylenol3
Supplements/Minerals: Vitamin E-800 IU, Calcium, B-Complex with Folic Acid, Multi-Vitamin, Omega Complex, Vitamin C, Chromium Picolinate
Herbals: Garlic, L-lysine, Cranberry, Iron, Neem
Misdiagnoses: Social Anxiety Disorder, Seasonal Affective Disorder, ADHD, PMDD, Hormonal imbalance of progesterone/progestin
Birth Control Methods: Ortho-Cylen, Ortho-tri-cyclen-lo, Ortho-tri-cyclen, Yaz/Be-Yaz/Yasmin

#6 jpcwon

jpcwon

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, GAD, Recovering Addict
  • Current Meds:Coming Off Effexor, Mirtazapine 30mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Abilify 15mg, Prazosin 4mg, Suboxone 16mg

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

I don't notice a difference between the two, but that's just me....it could be that I'm not on a high-enough dosage to be able to notice; not sure...
"Just because the monkey's off your back does not mean that the circus has left town!" -George Carlin

-Past meds: Prozac, Paxil (made me suicidal!), Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro (twice), Wellbutrin (twice), Zyprexa, Seroquel, Trazadone, Lamictal, Trileptal, Neurontin, Propranolol, Adderall, Dexidrine, Methadone, Every Benzo In The Book...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts