Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Worse On Venlafaxine?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jr1985

Jr1985

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Diagnoses:Aspergers syndrome, ADHD, depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Concerta, venlafaxine

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

Hello, I've been on 75mg Effexor for about 2 years now, for depression/anxiety.

While it helps with the depression, I feel it makes me a bit spacey and even more forgetful than usual. It also causes mild sexual side effects, and tbh I feel more flat than happy on them.

I've started taking Concerta for ADD, which helps with my energy levels, etc but not my memory.

I was considering switching from Effexor to another AD with less sexual/cognitive side effects. I believe the only AD in the UK with minimal sexual side effects is Mirtazapine, which I know also causes drowsiness and increased appetite. Wellbutrin is only available for smoking cessation (Zyban).

I'm thinking Mirtazapine could either be a) really helpful - side effects counter stimulant side effects or :mad: terrible - drowsiness could make cognitive problems even worse.

Also, I suffer from lack of energy, which I suspect is due to years of poor sleep plus the depression/add. I would frequently go to bed far too late, and wake up completely exhausted for school/work. My sleep isn't as bad as it used to be, but it could still do with some improvement. I've been taking melatonin to help with this. So it's possible the drowsiness from mirtazapine could allow me to sleep at night, which would give me more energy in the morning? Unless the drowsiness lasts throughout the day...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 hammer of dusk

hammer of dusk

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD w/ agitated features or BP NOS, GAD, migraine
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

A tricyclic such as nortriptyline or lofepramine might be worth looking into, as they are more activating (help with energy) and don't have the sexual side effects of the SSRIs. However, I think they may not mix well with Concerta. You'd have to check with your doctor.

Have you taken any antidepressants besides venlafaxine?

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Strattera 40mg, nortriptyline 25mg, Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, diazepam 5-10mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac.
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine

#3 Jr1985

Jr1985

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Diagnoses:Aspergers syndrome, ADHD, depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Concerta, venlafaxine

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Hi! Yes, I forgot to say I've been on a few SSRI's - paroxetine, citalopram, escitalopram. They didn't work very well and all had sexual side effects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts