Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs

Splitting 0.5 Risperdal Tablet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_relm

In_Remission_relm
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

I am supposed to take 0.25mg of Risperdal but All I have are the 0.5's. As far as I know drug distribution is not the same in every pill.

If you split a branded .5 Risperdal tablet with a pill cutter will you get two equal parts of drug? (.25 and .25), or are they not meant to be split?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,313 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:38 AM

I am supposed to take 0.25mg of Risperdal but All I have are the 0.5's. As far as I know drug distribution is not the same in every pill.

If you split a branded .5 Risperdal tablet with a pill cutter will you get two equal parts of drug? (.25 and .25), or are they not meant to be split?

Are they scored? And are they "brand"?

If the answer is "yes" to both, they can be split with the reasonable assumption that the drug distribution will be equal.

If they are not scored, but are brand, they are not "meant" to be split, but you'll probably be ok.

If they are not scored but are generic, it really is a crapshoot. Hell, if they're scored and are generic it is a crapshoot.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#3 In_Remission_relm

In_Remission_relm
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

If the answer is "yes" to both, they can be split with the reasonable assumption that the drug distribution will be equal.

If they are not scored, but are brand, they are not "meant" to be split, but you'll probably be ok.

If they are not scored but are generic, it really is a crapshoot. Hell, if they're scored and are generic it is a crapshoot.

Dymphna

For the record, my Risperdal Tablets I have are the red 0.5mg's and the white 1mg's. Both of them are NOT scored.

Does anybody know if the distribution of the 1mg can produce four doses of .25 (breaking them into quarters)? I used to break little .25 pieces off
of the 1mg but now I'm a little wary about doing that now that my doc told me about the not equal drug distribution in pill thing. I'm not sure he even knows for sure if you can break Risperdal.

Perhaps I should ask him for some 0.25's to have on hand. I love Risperdal at that dose.

#4 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,313 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:23 AM

Dymphna

For the record, my Risperdal Tablets I have are the red 0.5mg's and the white 1mg's. Both of them are NOT scored.

Does anybody know if the distribution of the 1mg can produce four doses of .25 (breaking them into quarters)? I used to break little .25 pieces off
of the 1mg
but now I'm a little wary about doing that now that my doc told me about the not equal drug distribution in pill thing. I'm not sure he even knows for sure if you can break Risperdal.

Perhaps I should ask him for some 0.25's to have on hand. I love Risperdal at that dose.

Yes, I do. It may, it may not. A non-scored pill is not designed to be split. And I already answered your question in the previous post. I regret that you do not like the answer, but the answer remains the same.

Statistically, even if a drug was perfectly distributed throughout a pill, cutting it is not going to distribute an exact amount to each portion. Cutting it four times is even less likely to do so.

I would agree that perhaps you should ask for some 0.25 mg pills to have on hand.

Dymphna

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#5 In_Remission_relm

In_Remission_relm
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Dymphna

of the 1mg
but now I'm a little wary about doing that now that my doc told me about the not equal drug distribution in pill thing. I'm not sure he even knows for sure if you can break Risperdal.

Yes, I do. It may, it may not. A non-scored pill is not designed to be split. And I already answered your question in the previous post. I regret that you do not like the answer, but the answer remains the same.

I was not asking for you to re answer my question. I was just wondering if somebody else could chime in on the exact way it's distributed in a pill. Again I'm not asking you any questions Dymphna. Sorry for the mis-communication.

#6 Tryn

Tryn

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Diagnoses:who knows, and who really cares anyway...
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Quetiapine, and Sertraline.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

I was just wondering if somebody else could chime in on the exact way it's distributed in a pill

If the pill is scored then the pill is meant to be split and you can assume that the med is pretty much evenly distributed between the pieces. If the pill is not scored then it's not meant to be split and splitting it is a crapshoot as to what amount of med you are getting in any given piece - especially if you are cutting it into 4 pieces. If you can get samples it's better to just get the samples than split the unscored pills. You want to maintain consistency with your meds. If you can't get the samples for the lower dose then you'll be better off splitting the .5mg into 2 pieces instead of the 1mg into 4.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

bird%20planesmsm.jpg

and yes, I was previously girrl88

but it doesn't feel like me anymore

#7 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:03 AM

So, this question has now been answered three times. The exact same way.

Done now.

Dymphna

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts