Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Abilify Stopped Now Nuvigil

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 laura73

laura73

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression anxiety panic disorder ptsd
  • Current Meds:Viibryd Xanax XR Restoril

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

Had to stop Abilify bc EPS. Started Nuvigil as add-on to Lexapro yesterday. Last dose of Abilify was Thursday morning. Took Nuvigil 250mg yesterday and had major panic attack at work and was awake 22 hours. Can't talk to pdoc on weekend so asked pharmacist if I could cut in half and he said yes. So today took Nuvigil 125mg. I'm getting sad/crying again. I know Nuvigil is mostly for energy. There was something really good with the Abilify that helped thoughts and energy. Does anyone know if there's a withdrawal from Abilify? Does Nuvigil get better with time?

Edited by laura73, 05 June 2011 - 11:37 AM.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

Please don't post a question in more than one category. Most folks here look at all of the material that's been posted since their last visit, by clicking on the "View New Content" link in the upper right corner.

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

#3 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Viibryd, Abilify, lamotrigine, levothyroxine

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

Had to stop Abilify bc EPS. Started Nuvigil as add-on to Lexapro yesterday. Last dose of Abilify was Thursday morning. Took Nuvigil 250mg yesterday and had major panic attack at work and was awake 22 hours. Can't talk to pdoc on weekend so asked pharmacist if I could cut in half and he said yes. So today took Nuvigil 125mg. I'm getting sad/crying again. I know Nuvigil is mostly for energy. There was something really good with the Abilify that helped thoughts and energy. Does anyone know if there's a withdrawal from Abilify? Does Nuvigil get better with time?

Well, Nuvigil is for sleep disorders. Like to keep you awake. And that is what it did. That might have been too big a first dose. 150mg is also a recommended dose. (Stahl) Insomnia and anxiety are common side effects. Have you had any sedation from your other meds? What was Nuvigil prescribed for?

Abilify is a totally different med type, not a stimulant, and the energy you felt was something I felt in the beginning with it also. In the beginning, but not later. :mad:
Nuvigil is a stimulant. Abilify is an antipsychotic, but approved as add-on for depression. Is that why you were taking Abilify?

And yes, you might experience some effects of stopping the Abilify cold, even after only just a month. Did Abilify help with your panic attacks? Because if it did you might expect them to return as a rebound, but not necessarily this fast, since it takes two weeks for it to wash out. Whatever Abilify helped you with, you could expect that you might get rebound on those symptoms, and it might be worse than before. It is recommended that you taper it to discontinue, for 6-8 weeks (Stahl).

Edited by horselover, 05 June 2011 - 03:38 PM.

HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg
Protonix 40mg qam for GERD

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#4 laura73

laura73

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

Well, Nuvigil is for sleep disorders. Like to keep you awake. And that is what it did. That might have been too big a first dose. 150mg is also a recommended dose. (Stahl) Insomnia and anxiety are common side effects. Have you had any sedation from your other meds? What was Nuvigil prescribed for?

Abilify is a totally different med type, not a stimulant, and the energy you felt was something I felt in the beginning with it also. In the beginning, but not later. :mad:
Nuvigil is a stimulant. Abilify is an antipsychotic, but approved as add-on for depression. Is that why you were taking Abilify?

And yes, you might experience some effects of stopping the Abilify cold, even after only just a month. Did Abilify help with your panic attacks? Because if it did you might expect them to return as a rebound, but not necessarily this fast, since it takes two weeks for it to wash out. Whatever Abilify helped you with, you could expect that you might get rebound on those symptoms, and it might be worse than before. It is recommended that you taper it to discontinue, for 6-8 weeks (Stahl).

I was taking Abilify as an add-on for depression. Because of EPS (lip tremor and jaw movements) pdoc DCd it. I've been through all SSRIs and SNRIs. She ordered Nuvigil in hopes that it would provide some energy boost since the Abilify did that so well. I remember now the long half-life of Abilify so I guess it makes sense it would take a while for rebound of symptoms. I felt edgy on the Nuvigil 250mg and I think it precipitated panic attack- along with a cup of coffee. My next step if I don't benefit from Nuvigil is MAOI. My pdoc is trying to avoid the washout because of recent hospitalization and severity of depressed mood so recently. I actually took an unintentional nap about 12 hours after today's Nuvigil dose. Maybe in a day or two I'll have sleep regulated at the lowered dose and can tell if there's a benefit. Will call pdoc tomorrow too. Thanks for your reply/info.

#5 Kay8

Kay8

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major depression, recurrent
  • Current Meds:Parnate, Lamictal

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

She ordered Nuvigil in hopes that it would provide some energy boost since the Abilify did that so well.

I didn't experience any energy boost from Nuvigil/Provigil. It's unusual among stimulants that its main effect is to help people stay awake, not give them more energy/concentration when they already are awake. I could also sleep after taking Provigil if I laid down -- the difference that it made for me was that when I was hit with excessive daytime sleepiness, I could usually push through it when on Provigil without falling asleep sitting up at my desk, whereas I couldn't without it.

Had you already tried other stimulants more commonly used as add-ons for depression (i.e., Ritalin)?

#6 laura73

laura73

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

She ordered Nuvigil in hopes that it would provide some energy boost since the Abilify did that so well.

I didn't experience any energy boost from Nuvigil/Provigil. It's unusual among stimulants that its main effect is to help people stay awake, not give them more energy/concentration when they already are awake. I could also sleep after taking Provigil if I laid down -- the difference that it made for me was that when I was hit with excessive daytime sleepiness, I could usually push through it when on Provigil without falling asleep sitting up at my desk, whereas I couldn't without it.

Had you already tried other stimulants more commonly used as add-ons for depression (i.e., Ritalin)?

Ritalan was the only one she tried with me. I tolerated 10mg twice a day but minimal boost and no energy at end of work day. I had anxiety and panic when I tried higher dose. Maybe if the Nuvigil doesn't help she will consider a low dose of a longer acting traditional stimulant.

#7 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

I would hesitate to call Provigil/Nuvigil a Stimulant. It technically is, but it is very atypical. It is promoted as a "Wakefulness Promoting Agent", and that label suits the drug a lot better than the traditional Methylphenidate/Amphetamine-type Stimulant.

Ritalin is Methylphenidate, and all of its derivatives fall under that class. The Amphetamine class includes Adderall, Dexedrine, and Vyvanse. Methylphenidate does more Dopamine Reuptake Inhibition, while Amphetamines fall more under the "increasing/enhancing" of Dopamine. A lot of people have entirely different responses to both classes, and even sometimes between medications in the same class. For example, Ritalin clashed with my Schiz side, so we immediately ruled out the Methylphenidate class. Both formulations of Addys increased my Anxiety, while Dexedrine IR and Vyvanse, respectively, peaked extremely fast or lasted 16-20 hours. Dexedrine Spansule (Extended Release) is the smoothest Stimulant that I have been on, but I have to take it twice a day for maximum efficacy, smoothness, and the minimalization of side effects that I experience with other Stimulants. I do not have ADHD, but Stimulants somewhat help with the cognitive issues that I experience.

For the record, Provigil/Nuvigil have been used off-label for both ADHD and to help people cope with sedating cocktails, but all I experienced on Provigil were side effects. Just a tip, do not take Provigil/Nuvigil on an empty stomach or combine with coffee. Your toilet will thank you.

DSP
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog