Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

When Crazy Gets With Crazy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 beek

beek

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:35 PM

How many of us are in a relationship with another mentally interesting person? Honestly, this person I am seeing is turning out to be quite messed up brainwise. He sustained frontal lobe damage from a car accident and ever since has had problems with compulsive lying. It has taken me almost a year to figure out wtf is going on.

How healthy is it to be with someone like this when you are BP1? Not very, one would assume.
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:14 AM

It is actually pretty common.. I almost married a Borderline. I always thought it was weird that the average person has a 1% chance of developing Schiz, but if a Schiz ever gets in a relationship their odds go up to 2%. Not due to having to tolerate the Schiz, but rather like attracts like. Then again, sometimes a little bit of crazy can have its advantages.

DSP
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#3 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

My rule of thumb while dating was, "No one more mentally interesting than I am."

#4 beek

beek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

My rule of thumb while dating was, "No one more mentally interesting than I am."

I think that is a good rule to abide by!

Although it is believed that we are far better lovers than our boring counterparts.
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

#5 ces-nymphes

ces-nymphes

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD 'with benefits'
  • Current Meds:escitalopram 20mg, aripiprazole 2.5mg, oxazepam/lorazepam PRN

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

I think that is a good rule to abide by!

Although it is believed that we are far better lovers than our boring counterparts.

I'd totally love to see a study on that. In my experience (n = ahem), the crazies win every time...

(I'm new, by the way! Hi!)

K

Previously: citalopram, sertraline, venlafaxine, fluoxetine, bupropion, lamotrigine, trazodone, quetiapine.
Hyperthymic temperament or BPII?

#6 Myshkin

Myshkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Diagnoses:Temporal lobe epilepsy, Sjogren's Syndrome and some old anxiety still popping up once in a while
  • Current Meds:Topiramate, baby dose of lexapro and occasional xanax. Plaquenil for the SS.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

Thankfully I am married to the most grounded and mentally stabel person you can imagine. He is as mentally stable as a rock. He get's our everyday live going and I make sure his life doesn't get too boring. We're a great match :-D

#7 rosie

rosie

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Lithium, Seroquel, Clozapine

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

I married a BP1, borderline, drug and alcohol addicted guy, and while it felt good in the beginning to be with someone who understood my bipolar, it went to hell quickly and ended in a very, very nasty divorce. Now I think I could only settle for someone on the "normal" spectrum who would be prepared to educate himself on my craziness, rather than be crazy himself.

#8 LosingIt

LosingIt

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, GAD, Panic Disorder, PMDD, Chronic Insomnia, OCD
  • Current Meds:Buspar, Xanax, Ambien

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

I"ve tried it a few ways. The last one was way more mentally interesting than I and it caused me to become more mentally interesting....I just couldn't deal with the stress he added in my life. Maybe if I didn't have my own MI, I would have been able to deal and been that rock that someone else described.  Maybe if he had been stable he could have been my rock?  Then maybe it would have worked.  As it was, we both made each other worse and it had to end.  The current one is my rock.  He has "issues" more like relationship/life baggage but no MI.  Sometimes I think I am too "challenging" for him.  He doesn't want to be my counselor, shrink, or girlfriend.  So I have to remember to not get defensive when he asks if I'm feeling anxious. He is just trying to help by pointing it out so I can recognize it and deal with it.  Just cuz he pointed it out, doesn't mean he wants to be the one to sort it out. I have to do that.  If I can keep all of that in check. Things are good. I prefer this relationship to crazy with crazy.

#9 Tryn

Tryn

• Enabler
  • 390 posts
  • Diagnoses:who knows, and who really cares anyway...
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Quetiapine, and Sertraline.

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

My ex-hubby was BP1 just like me. It went pretty well until his drinking and drugging went too far and I decided that one of us had to die... I landed on the psych ward for trying to kill myself. He disappeared. When I told the folks on the psych ward the whole story about him they discharged me in less than 24 hours. :mad: Several years later he ended up killing himself.

My new hubby is not mentally interesting at all. In fact, he's studying to be a therapist. Now we're just a boring married couple and I love it!

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#10 Sweetest1

Sweetest1

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1 rapid cycling , PTSD, Anxiety disorder NOS
  • Current Meds:clonazepam 1.5mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, ativan .5mg prn, Epival/Depakote 1250mg

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

I do not think I could handle a relationship with a Mentally interesting individual. My husband is intelligent and creative but not ill. He keeps me grounded when the manias try to take over, and lifts me up when I am depressed. I would not have it any other way.

I am not a doctor - I am just an !diot.
Nothing I say should be considered as medical advice.
These are merely my personal opinions; of which there is a seemingly inexhaustible supply.

Previous Meds: Zeldox/geodon, risperidone, seroquel, effexor, topamax, lithium, zyprexa, cipralex, trazadone

#11 In_Remission_AzStep

In_Remission_AzStep
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:47 AM

My hubby doesn't have any current diagnoses (as a child he was ODD) but he was a meth addict for about six months and ended up serving time for dealing. The meth really screwed with his brain, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was mentally interesting, and just not diagnosed.

#12 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar II
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine 200 mg, wellbutrin xl 300 mg, seroquel 25 mg

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

My husband has the bipolar as well. I think a lot of people confuse emotional outbursts with bipolar moods. Though I can have terrible mood swings and occasional lose sense of my rational being my approach to life is more rational than emotional. That means my husband and I don't fight, we disagree. We can get irritable but, it is acknowledged as an emotional reaction stemming from x.x is dealt with through y and so on. Being so bloody rational came out as a coping mechanism for my moods. He is more emotional and w balance each other out that way.
But it has happened where we've both been in either a mixed or depressive state. That is frightening. There have been times where we can fit that negative case scenario but, it is rare. and all the more reason to take our crazy pills and take care.
I do like our playful arguments over who is crazier and given we understand exactly where the other is coming from helps when symtoms arise (of couse we don't say, "hey that's a bit manic" it is more like, "ah I've been there and I will respect your experience"). I'm not sure someone without bipolar disorder is able to react with the same knowledge and understanding. I care little for sympathy. It is unproductive and lonely as hell.
Most days I don't think about having bipolar disorder or think there is anything mentally interesting about my husband. I doubt he thinks much about it either. We just live our lives together.

Edited by peanutbutter, 13 September 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#13 GetOffMyLawn

GetOffMyLawn

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Diagnoses:Rapid-Cycle BP2 with Borderline features; PTSD
  • Current Meds:LTG 300mg, BPR XL 450mg, TPM 300mg, CTP 40mg, RIS prn

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

DW is my stable, grounded rock, herself a psychotherapist. Last night she lamented that she often wishes she had married a normal, boring person.

ETA: DW is also brilliant, cultured, has traveled widely, and is well-read. She may not have the brain cooties, but she is plenty interesting, mentally speaking

Edited by GetOffMyLawn, 31 August 2013 - 09:15 PM.

Current Meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, Buproprion XL 450mg, Topiramate 300mg, Citalopram 40mg, Risperidone prn .25mg+ at my discretion
Past Meds: Paroxetine, Escitalopram, Sertraline
Current Non-Psych: Lovastatin, Baby Aspirin

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
Til the last syllable of recorded time.
And all our yesterdays light fools the way to dusty death.
Out, out, brief candle!
Life is but a walking shadow,
A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage
Then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot,
Full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

#14 PacketPrincess

PacketPrincess

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP Spectrum, PTSD
  • Current Meds:None

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

On one hand, marrying a mentally interesting person would be good in the sense of having things in common and being understood. On the other hand, between managing my issues, his issues, and our common issues, it would be kind of a disaster. Anything emotionally volatile has potential for disaster.

Current Dx: Mostly PTSD. 

Current meds: None except PRNs

Past Dx: Depression, Panic disorder. 

Past Meds: sertraline, lorazepam, tranylcypromine, Seroquel, Abilify, lithium, lamotrigine, valproate, Latuda, oxcarbazepine, risperidone, olanzapine.

"Remember, there is no reliable way to distinguish a catatonic from a mystic" - Sanjay Nigam, "The Transplanted Man"

#15 Elisabet_Fluffy

Elisabet_Fluffy

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 82 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, dysthymia, GAD, ADHD, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Aspergers
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Risperdal, Ativan (prn), Adderall, Celexa

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

My boyfriend is depressed, and while we can often bring each other down, I think that neither of us could really be with someone mentally uninteresting.  A normal person would have dumped me a long time ago when they realized how often I hide under my desk and sob for no good reason.  Or lie down and stare at the ceiling.  Or sit and stare at the wall.  Or, thanks to Wellbutrin, get really angry because my computer won't load quickly enough and start throwing things at the wall. 

We understand each other (mostly) and can help each other out and call each other on our crazy shit.  We're a compatible kind of crazy. 

Non-crazy meds and supplements:  Gildess FE, loratadine, fish oil, turmeric, Vitamin D, Calcium, pantothenic acid, iron, fiber and probiotic supplements (my meds make me full of shit,) magnesium (traz gives me bruxism,) and sometimes melatonin.

Non-crazy diagnoses:  BRCA 1 mutation, allergies, Raynaud's Syndrome (primary)

#16 Shmooey

Shmooey

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Diagnoses:DID, Severe Depression with Psychosis, PTSD, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, Agoraphobia
  • Current Meds:Effexor XR, Haldol, Buspar, Wellbutrin XL, Lamictal, Klonopin
  • Location:unless at work, at home hiding from the world, prolly

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

I don't think someone normal would stay with me either.

I have pdoc diagnosed DID, severe depression with psychosis, PTSD, and schizotypal personality disorder.  Plus I am agoraphobic.  I married a Bipolar 2 who really gets me, and is also a hermit so is happy to stay home most of the time with the cats.  We have been together for 11 years and are very happy.

Treated for DID and severe psychotic depression with my current meds:  Effexor XR 300 mg. Haldol 5 mg, Buspar 30 mg a day, Wellbutrin XL 300 mg. Lamictal 200 mg. Klonopin 1 mg a day - yes, I DO need them all.  New pdoc thinks psychotic depression is schizoaffective depressive type, we'll see what happens with that.

Past meds:  Five SSRI poop outs - Zoloft twice, Prozac twice, Celexa once.  

Abilify, Geodon, Zyprexa, Haldol (twice before), Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, Topamax, Neurontin, Elavil, Halcion

the world is too loud.

#17 PacketPrincess

PacketPrincess

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP Spectrum, PTSD
  • Current Meds:None

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

All of this is kind of giving me hope that despite my mental complications I can someday not be alone. Yay for that!

Current Dx: Mostly PTSD. 

Current meds: None except PRNs

Past Dx: Depression, Panic disorder. 

Past Meds: sertraline, lorazepam, tranylcypromine, Seroquel, Abilify, lithium, lamotrigine, valproate, Latuda, oxcarbazepine, risperidone, olanzapine.

"Remember, there is no reliable way to distinguish a catatonic from a mystic" - Sanjay Nigam, "The Transplanted Man"

#18 GetOffMyLawn

GetOffMyLawn

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Diagnoses:Rapid-Cycle BP2 with Borderline features; PTSD
  • Current Meds:LTG 300mg, BPR XL 450mg, TPM 300mg, CTP 40mg, RIS prn

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

All of this is kind of giving me hope that despite my mental complications I can someday not be alone. Yay for that!

Be careful what you wish for, dude.

Current Meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, Buproprion XL 450mg, Topiramate 300mg, Citalopram 40mg, Risperidone prn .25mg+ at my discretion
Past Meds: Paroxetine, Escitalopram, Sertraline
Current Non-Psych: Lovastatin, Baby Aspirin

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
Til the last syllable of recorded time.
And all our yesterdays light fools the way to dusty death.
Out, out, brief candle!
Life is but a walking shadow,
A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage
Then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot,
Full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

#19 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

I have surrounded myself with healthy people and would not touch an addict, alcoholic or mentally ill person with a ten foot pole unless it was something like a mild depressive condition. Normal people can be the grounded one in the relationship and model normal behavior for some of us who never had an example of that in our lives. The important thing, in my mind, if I ever did meet a normal who was interested in me would be that I never force my illness on him, neglect him in anyway or ignore the fact that normal people can suffer greatly from various problems as much as the mentally ill and I would need to be there for him as often as he would be for me. I suspect a normal person wouldn't want to marry me for various reasons (not all MI related but some physical problems as well and being dead broke)  but if they were interested, I would describe in deep detail how bad it can get but also remind him that I have always been a very high functioning person.

Current Meds: Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg,  Trazodone up to 300mg and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem, Celexa and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Benicar, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol and Nexium. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog