Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Did My 20Mg Lexapro Just Start To Make Me Feel Happier Again?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_canuckian01

In_Remission_canuckian01
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

So I went to a new pDoc after my previous one moved offices. My first appointment with the new pDoc did not really go well, I've been feeling that my mood has really dipped, lots of trouble concentrating and having motivation and a little emotionally 'flat'. He told me that things seemed to be "more in your head" and that I should, in essence, buck up and pull myself out of it.

Even after asking him about switching to Zoloft or Prozac in an attempt to shake things up and get me feeling better, he decided simply to bump my Cipralex (Lexapro) from 10mg to 20mg (telling me we could work all the way up to 30mg or 40mg). That, and switch me from Wellbutrin SR to XL because, in his mind, generics are bad.

I was disappointed because in my mind, I wanted to wean off the Cipralex, yet here I am being raised instead.

But, surprisingly enough, I've actually felt a bit of a brightening of spirits in the week that I've been on 20mg and the XL. I'm still having the emotional flatness and concentration issues, but I'm not as down in the dumps as I was over the past several weeks.

So is this placebo? Or did the 20mg really rapidly make a difference?

I had been raised to 20mg last year by my GP, but my first pDoc said that was excessive and tapered me down to 10mg. I don't really recall how the 20mg affected me last time around, it was during a really difficult patch of my life so it's hard to judge if the 20mg did anything, other than make me even more emotionally flat and killing what was left of my libido.

But this time around (so far at least) I'm actually feeling like the move helped. Is it possible to feel the effects of the raise in dosage in under a week?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

It is very possible that it is NOT placebo. Lexapro has a reputation for working fast.

Is your diagnosis still - vaguely "Depression"?? Your Pdoc has you on three AD's (at mid to high dosages) and a prn Benzo.. s/he should know what the diagnosis is by now.

DSP
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#3 In_Remission_canuckian01

In_Remission_canuckian01
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Is your diagnosis still - vaguely "Depression"?? Your Pdoc has you on three AD's (at mid to high dosages) and a prn Benzo.. s/he should know what the diagnosis is by now.

DSP

I should have updated my profile, my previous pDoc had Dx'ed me as Major Depressive Disorder and was exploring the possibility of PTSD/anxiety disorder and Seasonal Affective Disorder, but this was in the short course of one appointment and one phone check-in. I didn't want to rant and rave before, but since you've brought it up, I'll digress a little. Through my roughly 1.5 year of depression I was mainly overseen by my GP, who then sent me to a pDoc when I wanted to add Wellbutrin (he then also added the Remeron). I don't know if it's just the way things are in Ontario, but I've felt largely left to my own devices. I mean, I had to ask my GP to refer me to another pDoc because I myself wanted to check in, not because the GP wants me to keep seeing pDoc's.

Sadly, my new pDoc is an incredible disappointment. He yawned and made coffee while cutting me off every other sentence as I was trying to give my history up to that point. Then, because I'm not suicidal/homicidal, manic, OCD or schizophrenic, he basically told me it was all in my head and that I just needed to 'buck up' and deal with it. I was appalled at the fact that he was so totally dismissive to me.

Yet, he decided to increase my Cipralex to 20mg and put me on Wellbutrin XL (for generic reasons, he said) and hold the Remeron where it is, even though I'd spent ten minutes explaining how I wasn't happy with my cocktail and wanted to either remove an SSRI altogether or switch to Zoloft or Prozac. All while telling me that since I'm sleeping again at night and not relapsing into insomnia, I must not be getting more depressed. So I'll see him in a month and we'll reassess.

Back to the original point, I was surprised to feel like the 20mg had actually started to pick up my mood, and I was just curious if that's all placebo or if my new jump to 20mg is actually going to help emotionally. So if it is indeed kicking in, will my mood continue to increase over the next couple weeks as my brain gets to a steady 20mg state?

#4 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

Theoretically, your mood should continue to improve. I am not a MD, DO, or even an ARNP.. so I cannot guarantee (or pretend to) that life will be sunny again and full of rainbows.

I am assuming that you take the three Antidepressants for individual symptoms not addressed by the first or second AD. What symptoms are you trying to treat with each one?

I am sorry to hear that about your Pdoc.. sounds like an ass. Would you have to go back to your GP to get a referral if you want to try a new Pdoc?

DSP
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#5 In_Remission_canuckian01

In_Remission_canuckian01
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Theoretically, your mood should continue to improve. I am not a MD, DO, or even an ARNP.. so I cannot guarantee (or pretend to) that life will be sunny again and full of rainbows.

I am assuming that you take the three Antidepressants for individual symptoms not addressed by the first or second AD. What symptoms are you trying to treat with each one?

I am sorry to hear that about your Pdoc.. sounds like an ass. Would you have to go back to your GP to get a referral if you want to try a new Pdoc?

DSP

RE: rainbows - I don't think if it's ever been explained to me (by any MD at least) that when an antidepressant does indeed 'work' what the resultant mood should be. All I can say is that it's definitely better than before I began taking crazy meds.

RE: symptoms - Firstly, I was started on 10mg Lexapro to address the MDD. I was upped to 20mg because my anxiety level skyrocketed out of nowhere. While the anxiety did get under better control at the 20mg, I lost almost all my sex drive and orgasms seemed harder to come by, so I was referred to a pDoc who put me on 150mg Wellbutrin. That helped and gave me a boost in energy/motivation. Went up to 300mg.

A few months after, I started having insomnia again (as I did before starting Lexapro). pDoc said it was probably not the fault of the Wellbutrin, since I hadn't experienced any sleeplessness when I started it up. He offered me either Zopiclone or Remeron, of which I chose the Remeron because of the concern (on my part at least) of Z-Drug/Benzo dependence. As with the Wellbutrin, once I stabalized on 15mg my pDoc figured I could get more out of it and upped me to 30mg. He then reduced the Lexapro back down to 10mg because, in his opinion, that should be enough when combined with other meds.

New pDoc did nothing but bump me up to 20mg again, even after I expressed interest in making a major SSRI change, either to another SSRI or to just drop it entirely and rely on the Welly/Rem combo.

RE: new pDoc - Yeah, he was an ass. Sadly my GP is actually very buddy-buddy with him and sends him all his crazy meds patients. So I don't think I'll get anywhere by asking him to find me another one. It's taken so long in my case to even actually get an appointment with a pDoc that I'm hesitant to make too many waves. That said, I'm not terribly impressed with him and ultimately I'm worried about having to rely on him as I continue antidepressant treatment. I do have a good counselor that I've been working with for over a month, so she's reliable and quite sympathetic to my very bad first appointment with my new pDoc.

#6 blessedbee

blessedbee

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Diagnoses:treatment resistant MDD/BP?
  • Current Meds:lamictal 150mg, wellbutrin 400mg, ritalin 10mg, xanax .5mg, viibrid 10mg

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:43 PM

if I recall, when I switched from 10 to 20 on the Lexapro I felt better pretty quickly. It seems to work that way, conversely, if I forget for a day or 2, I feel lousy pretty quickly.

#7 sc2501

sc2501

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

Lexapro is one of the fastest (if not the fastest?) SSRIs to show results. When I switched from 10 - 20, and then to 30, and all over the place, I always noticed a strong change within a week, especially from 10 - 20. I think that an SSRI doesn't offer enough mood stabilization for me (I have labile mood) which is why I'm on multiple other medications. It's a hard symptom to medicate for, apparently. I hope that the medicine keeps helping you!
"You can not protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."
- Jonathan Safran Foer, "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog