Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Anyone Try Savella For Depression

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_depressedanxiety

In_Remission_depressedanxiety
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

I have been on almost every type of antidepressamt and have had little success.

Has anyone had any luck with Savella? What side effects have you experienced. I'm on Day 8 and up to 100 mg.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_loonsworld

In_Remission_loonsworld
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:37 AM

I was on Milnacipran when it was being trialled here - all i got was hot flushes and a really bad case of erectile dysfunction. After about 2 weeks i was getting manic episodes so it didn't really agree with me.

I hope you have better luck with it than i did. I know that it is being prescribed to treat fibromyalgia as an alternative to Lyrica.

#3 In_Remission_bicrazy

In_Remission_bicrazy
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:20 PM

Savella nearly killed me. After the first dose, my blood pressure shot thru the roof (175/100). I stopped taking it immediately. Coincidentally, I had an appointment with my internist the next day. She said my BP was in the 'stroke zone'. I have a BP monitor at home -- it goes around the wrist. Now I had to start taking meds for high BP; it took several months for my BP to return to normal. Now I monitor my BP whenever I go on a new med.

Edited by bicrazy, 26 August 2011 - 09:21 PM.

#4 In_Remission_suivis

In_Remission_suivis
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

I'm coming off of Savella now after having been on it for close to a year. About a month into it, I wasn't in any state to listen to anyone tell me that I was becoming aggressive and unreasonable. I know myself well enough that once I hit rapid cycling (multiple cycles a day), suicidal ideations and hallucinations that I knew I needed to come off the Savella. The warnings say that if you become aggressive, you should talk to your doctor. I was only mildly aggressive at first, didn't hit anyone the entire time I was on it, but there were a lot of rapid cycle emotions with active body language and pacing and anxiety, including anxiety about not being on it. I would always feel better after I would take it. People were telling me that I was being aggressive and that something was wrong, but I was far enough away from everything in my head that I couldn't put together that those were side effects of the medication. I was paranoid that they were attacking choices I made about my life instead. My advice would be to be very careful and have someone that you trust to tell you specifically to talk to your doctor about the medication's side effects if you start to act aggressively.

#5 ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Diagnoses:just depression, for now
  • Current Meds:150 mg Wellbutrin, 200 mg Topamax, Relpax for migraines, phentermine 18.75 mg/day for weight loss

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

I took it for a day, I think. It made me horribly aggressive and on top of that, it gave me terrible heartburn all day long. It scared me so bad I quit right then and there.

#6 mharcais

mharcais

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Type II bipolar disorder.
  • Current Meds:Pristiq, Klonopin.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

My doc prescribed Savella after I asked about switching from venlafaxine ER (generic Effexor XR) to Cymbalta; I also am taking cyclobenzaprine (aka Flexeril) for skeleto-muscular disorder and I thought this could mean one less medication. Transition is "complete," although I'm still dealing with the dizziness and light-headedness from discontinuation of the venlafaxine. This is my third day without it, so I hope the symptoms will go away soon. I'm still taking the Flexeril, though, because I'm feeling body aches and pains even while taking it, and I've no wish to make it worse. Knowing that I'm taking Savella off-label isn't increasing my comfort level. This guinea pig will be happy to update. I'm thrillled to be off The Devil Drug (Effexor) for good.

Diagnosis: Type II bipolar disorder

Current Meds (in daily doses): Pristiq (desvenlafaxine succinate) 100mg; Klonopin (clonazepam) 0.5mg

Past Meds: Serzone (nefazodone HCl); Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride); Wellbutrin XL (bupropion hydrochloride); Aplenzin (bupropion hydrobromide); Topamax (topiramate); Effexor XR (venlafaxine HCl); Strattera (atomoxetine HCl), Maprotiline HCl; Provigil; Nuvigil.

It's a wonder I still have a liver.

#7 quiet storm

quiet storm

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Enabler
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

My doc mentioned savella to me today after discussing about possibly getting back on cymbalta, mainly for headaches, but secondarily for mood. I was a sweaty, jittery mess when I was on it but I got alot of shit done when I was on cymbalta. She mentioned savella and it was the first I've heard of it. Probably because its only approved for fibromyalgia in the US. It's classified as an SNRI but from what I've read it pushes the norepi about 3 times as much as serotonin. Probably why it's good for pain......and the aggressiveness mentioned above. I think I'll stick with cymbalta if it comes down to it. You know, better off with the devil you know....
Next time you think no one cares, try missing a car payment.

#8 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD w/Panic and Major Depression Symptoms
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg/24hr, .25mg Xanax prn

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

My doc mentioned savella to me today after discussing about possibly getting back on cymbalta, mainly for headaches, but secondarily for mood. I was a sweaty, jittery mess when I was on it but I got alot of shit done when I was on cymbalta. She mentioned savella and it was the first I've heard of it. Probably because its only approved for fibromyalgia in the US. It's classified as an SNRI but from what I've read it pushes the norepi about 3 times as much as serotonin. Probably why it's good for pain......and the aggressiveness mentioned above. I think I'll stick with cymbalta if it comes down to it. You know, better off with the devil you know....

Bit of an outdated thread but there's been some info recently.

Forest, in their ongoing quest to abuse the everliving crap out of brand names and the patent system has been trying to get the active enantiomer of Savella (levomilnacipran) approved for depression. Back in 2012 they got a pretty sound thrashing by the FDA over abysmal efficacy in their studies, just really really bad results.

It looks like they've re-applied with a new study that shows better results. However, the study isn't as large as it should be: they used very severe depression as an inclusion criteria, using HDRS, SDS, but then used MADRS as a measure of outcome - which is pretty well known to be defective. The FDA CDER response is due out on 7/26.

#9 mharcais

mharcais

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Following up on my Savella experience.  Short story:  it didn't work.  Didn't take care of the aches and pains and I found myself in the depths of depression the likes of which I hadn't felt in years.  Have transitioned on to Pristiq and finding it working quite well.  Incidently, shortly after transitioning onto Pristiq, my therapist started noticing my cycling and racing thoughts, probably because they were surfacing after the abyss of depression.  Was diagnosed with Type II bipolar disorder and also taking Klonopin.

Edited by mharcais, 23 July 2013 - 04:46 PM.

Current Meds (in daily doses): Pristiq (desvenlafaxine succinate) 100mg; Klonopin (clonazepam) 0.5mg

Past Meds: Serzone (nefazodone HCl); Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride); Wellbutrin XL (bupropion hydrochloride); Aplenzin (bupropion hydrobromide); Topamax (topiramate); Effexor XR (venlafaxine HCl); Strattera (atomoxetine HCl), Maprotiline HCl; Provigil; Nuvigil.

#10 quiet storm

quiet storm

• Enabler
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Your past meds section is all jacked up. Serzone is not escitalopram. Escitalopram is lexapro. Prozac is not duloxetine. Duloxetine is cymbalta.

Prozac=fluoxetine
Serzone=nefazodone.

#11 mharcais

mharcais

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Oops.  Must have taken two doses of Klonopin.

Thanks for the heads up.  Double-checked everything, as you can see.

#12 quiet storm

quiet storm

• Enabler
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Forest, in their ongoing quest to abuse the everliving crap out of brand names and the patent system has been trying to get the active enantiomer of Savella (levomilnacipran) approved for depression. Back in 2012 they got a pretty sound thrashing by the FDA over abysmal efficacy in their studies, just really really bad results.

It looks like they've re-applied with a new study that shows better results. However, the study isn't as large as it should be: they used very severe depression as an inclusion criteria, using HDRS, SDS, but then used MADRS as a measure of outcome - which is pretty well known to be defective. The FDA CDER response is due out on 7/26.

And it's been approved. Say hello to the next "me too" drug.........Fetzima. Gotta love evergreening.

http://www.fiercebio...zima/2013-07-26

Edited by quiet storm, 04 August 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#13 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD w/Panic and Major Depression Symptoms
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg/24hr, .25mg Xanax prn

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

And it's been approved. Say hello to the next "me too" drug.........Fetzima. Gotta love evergreening.

http://www.fiercebio...zima/2013-07-26

Just god damned fucking lovely. Forest is one of the single worst offenders in evergreening, me-too garbage drugs, price gouging and excessively promoting brand name worship.

#14 quiet storm

quiet storm

• Enabler
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

You gotta wonder if Eli Lily wished they could go back and do cymbalta differently. Cymbalta was an enantiomer, and it was the more potent of the two. I'm no expert on pharmakinetics and stereoisomers but I wonder If they could've just marketed the original drug with both enantiomers for a decade and then evergreened the ole cymbalta for another.

Cymbaltas off patent come December. Dont think they have anything else in the pieline at the moment to make up for it. Kind of feel bad for ole Eli.....NOT. Not when it cost $250 for a 30 day supply without insurance. Eat a dick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog